What's wrong with our Midfielders?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gochino
Egg
Egg
What's wrong with our Midfielders?

Post by gochino »

For some reason the Midfielders left the creativity for the defenders, they just kept passing the ball back.
This game needed Nwakali to bring in more possession and creativity in the midfield, we also needed Ejuke to come in for Chukwueze.
We just need to be more professional and never underrate any team. As for Eguavoen, am not too sure, looks like he is a one trick pony, that Power point prasi strategy template that went viral is what he has been using for all his games even when it was clear that they had studied us closely and blocked the wings.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What's wrong with our Midfielders?

Post by Tbite »

I thought the first change that Egu was going to make was taking Aribo off.

I was massively surprised when he took the two strikers off. The problem wasn't the strikers, it was the midfield!

Aribo was having a terrible game, and when I saw his body language coming off the pitch, I knew he was done for the day.

As a midfielder he wasn't doing much, as a backup to the forwards he was too tentative (even annoying Iheanacho), as a finisher he botched a reasonable opportunity, as a defensive player, he was caught ball watching for the Tunisia goal.

So he failed in every department. I thought Egu was going to take him off IMMEDIATELY after the 45 and bring on somebody else like Nwakali.
Last edited by Tbite on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The only thing I can think of is that they were playing to instructions. There is no other way of explaining why Aribo and the wingbacks did not attack more.

Iheanacho was awful. Apart from the Egypt game, he has been below par. I finally admit that he is not a 10, dude is a striker
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I still would have left Nacho on. Awful Nacho is still ok. We have some players that even when awful, they are still better than those on the bench.

Nacho, Osimhen fall into that category most of the time. My biggest worry was the yellow card he picked up.

Ndidi did well. I would have left Simon on too, but I would have brought on Ejuke instead of Olayinka. I would have brought on Iwobi earlier or brought on Nwakali. This change would be made immediately from the dressing room!

I would take one of Awoniyi or Nacho off...AFTER seeing how Nwakali/Iwobi and Ejuke contribute to the attack. So a relatively late substitution. I would replace them with Sadiq.

I would tell Musa to go and join the NSC in the stands and get his face painted.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Na, Nacho was miscontrolling balls, disappearing not making runs. He was worse than Aribo, whose problem was just being tentative. When Iwobi came in, even though he wasn't making the killer passes and runs you could see, more activity.

I give both of the passes because, one was playing out of position and the other playing in a 2 man midfield.

I don't want to single out any player, because quite frankly, they all could have been substituted apart from Ndidi. Eveb Aina was piss poor yesterday. He only attacked once.

Our tactics were piss poor.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbite wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 am I thought the first change that Egu was going to make was taking Aribo off.

I was massively surprised when he took the two strikers off. The problem wasn't the strikers, it was the midfield!

Aribo was having a terrible game, and when I saw his body language coming off the pitch, I knew he was done for the day.

As a midfielder he wasn't doing much, as a backup to the forwards he was too tentative (even annoying Iheanacho), as a finisher he botched a reasonable opportunity, as a defensive player, he was caught ball watching for the Tunisia goal.

So he failed in every department. I thought Egu was going to take him off IMMEDIATELY after the 45 and bring on somebody else like Nwakali.
Dude Aribo was through on net but for some reason Nacho delayed putting him through. That was 1-0 right there.

It was Nacho who failed in every department doing what an AM or SS is supposed to do with all his heavy touches.

How can you blame the midfielders when Egus tactics left them overworked and exposed. That was Egus fault 100%
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm
Tbite wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 am I thought the first change that Egu was going to make was taking Aribo off.

Dude Aribo was through on net but for some reason Nacho delayed putting him through. That was 1-0 right there.

It was Nacho who failed in every department doing what an AM or SS is supposed to do with all his heavy touches.

How can you blame the midfielders when Egus tactics left them overworked and exposed. That was Egus fault 100%
He should have still tried to run after it don’t know why he just stopped, let the ref call offside but was weird how he just gave up.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:41 am I still would have left Nacho on. Awful Nacho is still ok. We have some players that even when awful, they are still better than those on the bench.

Nacho, Osimhen fall into that category most of the time. My biggest worry was the yellow card he picked up.

Ndidi did well. I would have left Simon on too, but I would have brought on Ejuke instead of Olayinka. I would have brought on Iwobi earlier or brought on Nwakali. This change would be made immediately from the dressing room!

I would take one of Awoniyi or Nacho off...AFTER seeing how Nwakali/Iwobi and Ejuke contribute to the attack. So a relatively late substitution. I would replace them with Sadiq.

I would tell Musa to go and join the NSC in the stands and get his face painted.
Ejuke wasn’t on the bench and I dunno why, but you know the funniest thing I saw watching back, Olayinka actually was the one that created our two 1v1s, he got lots of vitriol but it was his cross that put Simon 1v1 and it was his pass that put Sadiq 1v1 for the shot that went wide left…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:35 am
Tbite wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:41 am I still would have left Nacho on. Awful Nacho is still ok. We have some players that even when awful, they are still better than those on the bench.

Ejuke wasn’t on the bench and I dunno why, but you know the funniest thing I saw watching back, Olayinka actually was the one that created our two 1v1s, he got lots of vitriol but it was his cross that put Simon 1v1 and it was his pass that put Sadiq 1v1 for the shot that went wide left…
You try as you fit watch am back sef.
Me I no fit.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:32 am

He should have still tried to run after it don’t know why he just stopped, let the ref call offside but was weird how he just gave up.
Which is why I think Olayinka and Sadiq should have been brought in way before Tunisia scored, we had enough on the bench to have taken control of that game right on the spin of the second half... notice how we started created clear-cut chances as soon as Sadiq and Olayinka came in even with 10 men... It just wasn't our day and I insist the Tunisians got away with this one BIG TIME, it was a really bizarre game of many things that could have gone wrong.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:40 am

Me I no fit.
Bros, I brought myself out of my funk just to be able to watch the highlights today, won’t be doing that again for a while lol…I hope Ghana doesn’t make it worse…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Many good permutations on this thread. When I saw Aribo not go for that ball, I knew it wasn't a winnable game. The mentality was just not right.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I don't know where some people got the impression that the team was overconfident. There was something flat about the team right from kickoff. They did not have their usual enthusiasm and were very much conservative in their play.
I am happy
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:40 am

Me I no fit.
Pigs will fly before I watch that match again. As far as I am concerned, this AFCON is over.

I don't want to know anything about it. I would rather watch paint dry than watch another AFCON match this year.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I saw both. I saw Iheanacho delay the pass, but the opportunity was still there and Aribo gave up.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbite wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:03 pm

I saw both. I saw Iheanacho delay the pass, but the opportunity was still there and Aribo gave up.
Ummmm gave up?

He obviously didn't want to go offside.

That was all on Nachos hesitation. Usually Nacho is good at that sort of thing, but he failed woefully there.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:41 am

Which is why I think Olayinka and Sadiq should have been brought in way before Tunisia scored, we had enough on the bench to have taken control of that game right on the spin of the second half... notice how we started created clear-cut chances as soon as Sadiq and Olayinka came in even with 10 men... It just wasn't our day and I insist the Tunisians got away with this one BIG TIME, it was a really bizarre game of many things that could have gone wrong.
Spot on. That's how i looked at it. Everything that go wrong, went wrong!
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:41 am

Which is why I think Olayinka and Sadiq should have been brought in way before Tunisia scored, we had enough on the bench to have taken control of that game right on the spin of the second half... notice how we started created clear-cut chances as soon as Sadiq and Olayinka came in even with 10 men... It just wasn't our day and I insist the Tunisians got away with this one BIG TIME, it was a really bizarre game of many things that could have gone wrong

My Exact Conclusions . :agree:
Hopefully Egu will be retained and he and all the coaching crew have learnt a Painfull lesson.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

To be honest there was this UNWARRANTED hype in the media that Sadiq was playing poorly. I think Egu may have wanted to start Sadiq but he let the hype get to him and then started Awoniyi.

These stupid journalists that were asking "why was Sadiq playing poorly" a guy who was on the pitch for a few minutes ? Have these clowns ever ONCE asked Rohr or Egu why the fock Musa is playing so poorly yet continues to be called up ? Have they ever once asked a far more pertinent question. Bloodly idiots.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Players are not magicians.

The way Tunisia was set up made some things difficult and our strategy also made it look like our midfielders(Aribo especially) were invincible.

Chukwueze starting the game and not being yanked off at half time cost us the AFCON not Maduka or Sadiq or any other postulation.

All these midfield problems being discussed here came from that one decision.

Also for some clarification, Kelechi drops into 10 position during build up from defense to midfield. Once the transition from midfield to the final third begins, Kelechi was almost always parallel to Awoniyi trying to get numbers in the box with Aribo a late arrival. Now playing two in central midfield meant if there was a turnover of any sort at this point the counter attack was on and we would be in trouble. I think this informed Eguavoen's decision to ask his full backs to sit and not go. But Tunisia had no pace upfront and rarely sent too many bodies forward initially. The adaptation was needed. Zaidu was clearly hesitant that even when Simon was seeing the triple teams Zaidu was not even close on many occasions. Ola Aina took things into his own hands a couple of times on his side during our build ups (his decision making for their goal was not good) but playing with Chukwueze in this formation was probably just as frustrating for him as it was for us watching.

So it was always going to be difficult for the 2 central midfielders to thrive in this game because of how we were set up and how the Tunisians approached the game.

I keep referencing the Sudan game. Granted Tunisia and Sudan are not the same but the tactic to frustrate our wide play was already employed then. Samu was yanked off at half time because he's not yet the player capable of overcoming that. He's built for a counter attacking team. Iwobi's off the ball movement is his best quality. He knows pockets of space to occupy and make himself available for the pass. He knows when to drive and when to pass. Like him or not, when he's on his game, we are a very very good team. Iwobi playing somewhat inside right and Aina taking the overlap positions during attack would have given the Tunisians a riddle to solve. Iwobi taking that position almost gives us an extra man in midfield. We all saw it work before. Why not try it again?

Iwobi did come on....but he was put as a support striker for Kelechi and was asked to pair with Olayinka....something we have never seen up to this point. Iwobi himself seemed a bit tentative when he came on. Unsure of where he needed to be because he was asked to play in a position that while he may be accustomed to, he hadn't prepared for. It was always going to take him a few mins to warm up. The poor touch that lead to the red came from that.

I would want to sit down with Eguavoen and Salisu just to understand how those decisions came about. Two days later i still cant get over it.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Iwobi has always thrived as an AM for SE.

Sticking him wide never worked yet it was continued by Rohr and Egu for THE SOLE PURPOSE OF FITTING NACHO INTO THE STARTING 11.

Now it seems a good decision when Nacho is scoring or assisting, but for the vast majority of the games we employ this strategy, Nacho is just running around aimlessly and clumsily unable to trap simple balls.

Eventually this formation would be found out.

Epic Fail.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Honestly Nacho would be a WORLD CLASS player if he had good touch. His finishing, vision, and intelligence are top notch.

But that his piss poor touch makes him a player who SHOULD NEVER START FOR SE.

and frankly he almost becomes a luxuory player because he cannot play any position other than SS, and that just isn't a formation we use.

He can't play lone striker

He can't play AM

He can't play wings

the only formation SE can play which would suit him would be a 352 where we have a solid midfield trio behind him.

442. Hell Naw.