SE/Eguavoen were outclassed tactically - Deja-Vu Afcon 2006

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mojojojo
Egg
Egg
SE/Eguavoen were outclassed tactically - Deja-Vu Afcon 2006

Post by mojojojo »

It seems Eguavoen tactics are predictable. He does not seem to have a plan B.

Tunisia knew to man mark our wingers and ensure Iheanacho does not use his left foot to completely nullify us.

And he did not react tactically.

I remember AFCON 2006, with Eguavoen at the helm. Same story.

We had a great team. Defeated Ghana at the group stages. Oruma was wrecking havoc. We looked unstoppable. Until the we met CIV who nullified us, allowed us to have possession and scored a single goal to knock us out.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg
Re: SE/Eguavoen were outclassed tactically - Deja-Vu Afcon 2006

Post by Goalgetter »

mojojojo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:41 pm It seems Eguavoen tactics are predictable. He does not seem to have a plan B.

Tunisia knew to man mark our wingers and ensure Iheanacho does not use his left foot to completely nullify us.

We had a great team. Defeated Ghana at the group stages. Oruma was wrecking havoc. We looked unstoppable. Until the we met CIV who nullified us, allowed us to have possession and scored a single goal to knock us out.
I agree. The match yesterday was similar to the 2006 game vs CIV. We were nullified completely and just passed the ball around. I knew it was over after watching the first 30 minutes vs Tunisia.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mojojojo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:41 pm It seems Eguavoen tactics are predictable. He does not seem to have a plan B.

Mojo mojo

But the wingers were not man marked ooo. Tunisia loaded up with 2 and 3 defenders wide. This meant no one go down there and you could not break it by even pairing the wide back up that flank. Nigeria needed to play up the middle eventnough Tunisia was also prepared by sitting deep in the middle but there was more space in that regard. I believe this informed the addition of Iwobi.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:32 pm

Mojo mojo

But the wingers were not man marked ooo. Tunisia loaded up with 2 and 3 defenders wide. This meant no one go down there and you could not break it by even pairing the wide back up that flank. Nigeria needed to play up the middle eventnough Tunisia was also prepared by sitting deep in the middle but there was more space in that regard. I believe this informed the addition of Iwobi.
My thoughts exactly, unfortunately he got sent off.

Another approach was to move the ball quicker, with a lot of off the ball movement and 1-2s to catch the Tunisia off guard.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:32 pm

Mojo mojo

Prof, you are 100% spot on. We didn't play up to the levels of the earlier games but we were not poor especially in the 2nd half. With 10 men we created 2 clear chances to draw level. For me I put it down to a bad day in the office & everything that could go bad went bad more than Tunisia's tactical superiority. For me Eguaveon should be encouraged to stay till the World Cup in Qatar.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Didn’t Eguavoen tell the media he was getting the players ready for penalties?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I keep saying this, Eguavoen saw this same tactic against Sudan (Granted with not so many double and triple teams) and reacted swiftly at half time despite having a 2 goal lead.

I want to hear his reasons why he waited to react. I have my thoughts but I would have loved to hear a journo ask questions of such nature.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Let's tell ourselves the truth, Eguavoen is a decent coach and talks a good game, but coaching left him in 2006... and even in the tournament he had to rely on the individual brilliance of certain players notably Oruma, King Kanu, a hot in demand Obafemi Martins, a new gem in Mikel Obi ,Nsofor etc to constantly bail him out... I don't know if he should stay or not but I'm leaning grudgingly towards the former cause he seems like a coach willing to learn from his mistakes (which is a very important asset in team improvement)... unlike Rohr who was just rigidly stuck in his ways.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

It was just a bad day at the Office IMO..a couple of bounces in one direction or another and we would have won the game. In any case, lets just beat Ghana , go tot the WC and put in a credible effort, and I am fine
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:23 pm I keep saying this, Eguavoen saw this same tactic against Sudan (Granted with not so many double and triple teams) and reacted swiftly at half time despite having a 2 goal lead.

I want to hear his reasons why he waited to react. I have my thoughts but I would have loved to hear a journo ask questions of such nature.
He probably wanted to play it safe and not leave anything to chance as it was the knock out stage, he even admitted in his post match interview that he instructed his full backs not to push forward and support the wing like was the case against the Egypt, Sudan and GB games... Once the Tunisians saw that Moses and Chukwueze were isolated with no support from the back... they pretty much double teamed on them and completely nullified any attacking threat from those sides. All Eguavoen needed to do right away was take the battle to the midfield by introducing either Onyeka or Nwakali to support Ndidi to even put the press of the Tunisians, then push Aribo forward as he could now afford to take chances knowing there were two warriors behind him ready to mop up his mistakes.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 pm Didn’t Eguavoen tell the media he was getting the players ready for penalties?
He did and he rightfully should have prepared them for penalties as that was a possible outcome.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16