Augustine Eguavoen’s tactical mistake in Nigeria's defeat to Tunisia? - AFCON Daily

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Augustine Eguavoen’s tactical mistake in Nigeria's defeat to Tunisia? - AFCON Daily

Post by metalalloy »

Someone posted the breakdown from these guys after the Egypt game.

I agree with them. If an armchair analyst could see this coming from a mile, why wouldn't the Tunisians?
He has been incredible so far this tournament. It is pretty clear that most of our threat comes from his involvement in our buildup and our opponents in the knockout stages will surely target him going forward. Egypt resorted to doubling him which didn't really work. We need an equal threat on the right side if our emphasis in attack will continue to be via the wing, and Chukwueze hasn't really played up to his capabilities so far. Iwobi IMO is wasted on the right as well.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=307187&p=5731613&hi ... e#p5731613

Egu's comments in the past match conference addressed what tried to do to address the points raised in the video:

It seems like he tried to get them to send the ball faster to Simon, but that wont make much of a difference from a team sitting deep and waiting for you to advance.

Egu indicates that the knockout stage may have had him restrict the overlap of the full backs.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen’s tactical mistake in Nigeria's defeat to Tunisia? - AFCON Daily

Post by vancity eagle »

So basically Egu ignored what made his team successful and resorted to Rohrs tactics.

It wasn't just the overlapping fullback, it was the undermined midfield.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen’s tactical mistake in Nigeria's defeat to Tunisia? - AFCON Daily

Post by vancity eagle »

Why on earth would we act like Simon is Salah ?

Stupid. One dimensional play counting on Simon ?

SMDH.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:52 pm So basically Egu ignored what made his team successful and resorted to Rohrs tactics.

It wasn't just the overlapping fullback, it was the undermined midfield.
He over relied on what made his team successful. Im not sure what you mean by "rohr's tactics"

We had enough players in the middle, we just didn't try to attack through the middle for huge swaths of the game.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Brilliant Neutral Analysis of Nigeria's Defeat

Post by Otitokoro »

I have really enjoyed the analysis of these guys since the beginning of AFCON - very in depth and detailed. Enjoy...
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Brilliant Neutral Analysis of Nigeria's Defeat

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Brilliant Neutral Analysis of Nigeria's Defeat

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:33 pm I have really enjoyed the analysis of these guys since the beginning of AFCON - very in depth and detailed. Enjoy...
Agreed. I like this guy's analysis. There is no question that Eguavoen persisted for long on trying to go through the wings even though the Tunisians were clearly ready for it. Even as has been noted, his second option which was quicker passes to Simon did not also work. My view is by the time he got ready to switch, we had already conceded fortuitously. But his attempt was further hampered by Iwobi's shock send-off.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics