We played 10 vs 11 for 30mins. Does that not count?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tmex12
Egg
Egg
We played 10 vs 11 for 30mins. Does that not count?

Post by tmex12 »

Any analysis that bashes the teams performance and ignores the fact that we played for over 30mins with 10 men is unfair.

We played well. Not as well as against Egypt. 11 vs 11 we win the match.
sabb
Egg
Egg
Re: We played 10 vs 11 for 30mins. Does that not count?

Post by sabb »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gabon says hi
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Of course it counts. But we lacked organisation all through the match for a top team expecting to win the tournament.

Our first half display with 11 v 11 was not that great. And it was obvious our attack had been nullified. I seriously doubt we would have scored even if it stayed 11 v 11 especially with Kelechi as our number 10 and Awoniyi as the target man.

The only reason we played better in the later part of the match was because Tunisia stopped playing their defensive formation and started attacking hoping to score a second goal. And our players put in more effort and urgency.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

sabb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:02 pm :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Tunisia had one less day of rest, missing 12 players, no coach, and didn't have the luxury of resting players on their last group game.

Plus we were tactically beaten well before the red.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:07 pm
Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Tunisia had one less day of rest, missing 12 players, no coach, and didn't have the luxury of resting players on their last group game.

So who do you think should die now football Einstein?
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Gabon says hi
No mind him.

I lay the defeat at the feet of the coaching crew.

For a team who had all the challenges that Tunisia had and for us to start off the game in such a pedestrian manner betrayed our preparedness. I said it in the 3rd game when we decided to make wholesale changes... it was a stupid move for a coach who is still learning his players to make wholesale changes when they don't even know how to play how he wants them to play. But he did it anyway...

Then we play a team short of personnel and you decide to engage in pedestrian football. You didn't want to play a tempo that would've tasked the depth of their team? You actually play a tempo that helped them with their depleted personnel? In American football parlance, it is like not understanding down, distance and time on the clock.

We just can't accept ANYHOWNESS.

Got to do better. Got to expect better.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Tunisia were not missing 12 players. If anything they had players coming back from being excluded in the group phase.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

marutimon wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 pm
Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Tunisia were not missing 12 players. If anything they had players coming back from being excluded in the group phase.
Only 5 of their players who played their last World Cup qualifier against Zambia in November started yesterday. They fielded a much weaker team no doubt.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

In my opinion, it wasn't a terrible performance by the SE. It was simply below average. I couldn't really assess the 2nd half because of the relatively early Tunisian goal + red card. Bad days in the office do happen. My main concern is how better prepared Tunisia were compared to Nigeria. Tunisia had to travel to Garoua, they had a day less rest and several players missing (including their head coach).
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:21 pm
Gabon says hi
No mind him.

For a team who had all the challenges that Tunisia had and for us to start off the game in such a pedestrian manner betrayed our preparedness. I said it in the 3rd game when we decided to make wholesale changes... it was a stupid move for a coach who is still learning his players to make wholesale changes when they don't even know how to play how he wants them to play. But he did it anyway...

Then we play a team short of personnel and you decide to engage in pedestrian football. You didn't want to play a tempo that would've tasked the depth of their team? You actually play a tempo that helped them with their depleted personnel? In American football parlance, it is like not understanding down, distance and time on the clock.

The defeat is good for us…..if we managed to win this weakened AFCON playing 4-4-2, we would have been humiliated at the WC if not by Ghana….

It is the easiest formation to play against…

I am also happy to see us play without the shackles of Rohr….

So all in all….lots of positives but Egu and his formation is outdated
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:04 pm Of course it counts. But we lacked organisation all through the match for a top team expecting to win the tournament.

Our first half display with 11 v 11 was not that great. And it was obvious our attack had been nullified. I seriously doubt we would have scored even if it stayed 11 v 11 especially with Kelechi as our number 10 and Awoniyi as the target man.

The only reason we played better in the later part of the match was because Tunisia stopped playing their defensive formation and started attacking hoping to score a second goal. And our players put in more effort and urgency.
What you are saying makes no sense esp since Kelechi sub is the one that got the red and reduced us to 10 men. So why are you still talking about Kelechi and Awoniyi who had already been subbed out during the last stretch of the game? The highlights are there we even created more chances with 10 men and created 2 one v ones. I’m not sure how you can say we wouldn’t have had more if we had an extra man, that logic doesn’t really make sense here…not like we didn’t create any at 11 v 11 we definitely created more than them.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Maceo is a hindrance to the progress of SE. Walahi
OCCUPY NFF!!
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Vancity Eagle: Please tell your broda them that no need to find excuses for losing.
Rather use the loss to adjust for next time.

Comoros played 10 and makeshift goalie
U couldn't really tell.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:04 am Maceo is a hindrance to the progress of SE. Walahi
Damn, my bad…make I turn my focus to you so I can hinder your own progress…ewu
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

marutimon wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 pm
Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Also a coach doesn't coach from the sidelines :rotf: . He can totally set up his team's strategy and tactics over a zoom video call BEFORE hand. And that was actually how they won - they prepared before hand. The assistant didn't bark instructions to shut our wingers from his technical area on match day.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The 1st half was poor, the 2nd half was better.

Nigeria were the better team overall! Tunisia were lucky and did not really deserve the victory. The goal came from nothing and should have been handled better.

But this means nothing. Tunisia were crap, so it is like comparing different types of vermin.

Even though I think we deserved to win, our level of play was still mediocre.

Note Tunisia were significantly depleted and without their coach, so that at least explains their mediocrity, what is our excuse?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

If SE would have showed the guts and heart of Comoros, we would have beaten Tunisia even with 10 men.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

As much as I believe Okoye should have saved that shot, the red card is the reason we lost. We would have won the game hands down. Even with 10 men we created a couple of good chances. I fully believe Iwobi would have made us even more dangerous.
tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:52 pm Any analysis that bashes the teams performance and ignores the fact that we played for over 30mins with 10 men is unfair.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

1naija wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:31 pm As much as I believe Okoye should have saved that shot, the red card is the reason we lost. We would have won the game hands down. Even with 10 men we created a couple of good chances. I fully believe Iwobi would have made us even more dangerous.
tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:52 pm Any analysis that bashes the teams performance and ignores the fact that we played for over 30mins with 10 men is unfair.

1Naija: The 10 v 11 was insignificant.
Tunisia just matched Nigeria and had a better game plan that worked.

No need to find excuses.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Where are the excuses? I just told you why I believe we would have won if Iwobi didn't get the red card.
visieC wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:11 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:31 pm As much as I believe Okoye should have saved that shot, the red card is the reason we lost. We would have won the game hands down. Even with 10 men we created a couple of good chances. I fully believe Iwobi would have made us even more dangerous.

1Naija: The 10 v 11 was insignificant.
Tunisia just matched Nigeria and had a better game plan that worked.

No need to find excuses.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:04 am Maceo is a hindrance to the progress of SE. Walahi
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hmm, if na joke, abeg make you stop am-oo, Emir.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
NationsCup
Egg
Egg

Post by NationsCup »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:21 pm
Gabon says hi
No mind him.

Oga sir, like you said the pace of the game in the first Half worried me and i told the people around me. I know we don't win matches this way. I also observe that Tunisian players slowed down the game further and they were happy after the first Half and it looks as if they wanted it that way. The marking wasn't great either.

To me I felt that the changes in the 3rd match was good, it gave us the chance to see other players and I think this is important. I felt that bringing Simon on against GB was not necessary. We showd our hands too much.

Even when the wings are not working we should switch quickly but the game was too slow.

I am not happy with the link between attack and mf all through the tournament. Permit me to say that we have lazy players in senior man and iwobi. I expsct more from this guys considerIng their exp. These guys ought to run the show in the middle. My hope is that Simon will bring out the best in them as we progress.

How about inaccurate shot on goal from time to time ...