Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen dismisses reports of exit

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen dismisses reports of exit

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen has denied reports he will quit following their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Eagles, three-time continental champions, won all three group games in Cameroon but were beaten 1-0 by Tunisia in the last 16.

Eguavoen, technical director at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), took charge of the side after long-serving coach Gernot Rohr was sacked just four weeks before the tournament began.

"I came here as an interim manager because of what's been played out," Eguavoen, 56, told BBC Sport Africa.

"Our former coach was relieved of his duties and it was just weeks before the Africa Cup of Nations.

"As technical director, anywhere in the world that is what is obtainable. If there is a vacancy, it is the technical director that steps in before the coach has been appointed.

"So that's why you see me taking this role and an interim man.

"Some of our journalists sometimes they change words, which is not too good. But we will manage it."

Nigeria have appointed Jose Peseiro to replace Rohr at the end of December, but the Portuguese only travelled to Cameroon with the Super Eagles as 'an observer'.

However, Eguavoen is not sure whether he will lead the side in their two-legged 2022 World Cup play-off against Ghana in March.

"That I cannot answer," he said.

"The only thing that I can tell you is I'm still the technical director of the federation and I am happy with that."
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen dismisses reports of exit

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Shame no catch him? This is not something he should make an issue of. Kindly step aside and let them come after you if they want to, no need to complicate matters with hearsay. BTW, Nff should send him an a refresher course.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:26 am Shame no catch him? This is not something he should make an issue of. Kindly step aside and let them come after you if they want to, no need to complicate matters with hearsay. BTW, Nff should send him an a refresher course.
:rotf: Step aside for what? That's how some are saying he "did the honorable thing" or did the right thing and "resigned which makes no sense.

"He was appointed solely to take the team to the nations cup. Simple and short. Nigeria is out of the nations cup and he has reverted back to his job. Are you saying he should also resign as the technical director because of his supposed shortcomings as a coach? There is "no issue" to be made. If anything, you can start arguing that he should refuse an appointment if the NFF decides to offer him the job (which presumably isn't open if they truly hired Peseiro.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:05 am Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen has denied reports he will quit following their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Eagles, three-time continental champions, won all three group games in Cameroon but were beaten 1-0 by Tunisia in the last 16.

Eguavoen, technical director at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), took charge of the side after long-serving coach Gernot Rohr was sacked just four weeks before the tournament began.

"I came here as an interim manager because of what's been played out," Eguavoen, 56, told BBC Sport Africa.

"Our former coach was relieved of his duties and it was just weeks before the Africa Cup of Nations.

"As technical director, anywhere in the world that is what is obtainable. If there is a vacancy, it is the technical director that steps in before the coach has been appointed.

"Some of our journalists sometimes they change words, which is not too good. But we will manage it."

Nigeria have appointed Jose Peseiro to replace Rohr at the end of December, but the Portuguese only travelled to Cameroon with the Super Eagles as 'an observer'.

However, Eguavoen is not sure whether he will lead the side in their two-legged 2022 World Cup play-off against Ghana in March.

"The only thing that I can tell you is I'm still the technical director of the federation and I am happy with that."
Interesting. Plenty people for this forum have repeated the line that Peseiro was not in Cameroon.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

metalalloy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:10 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:05 am Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen has denied reports he will quit following their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.

Interesting. Plenty people for this forum have repeated the line that Peseiro was not in Cameroon.
This Oluwashina guy is not reliable, although he writes for the BBC. He’s been wrong a lot of times. Colin who speaks with the NFF heads said Peisero was no where near Cameroon as at the day we played Tunisia.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Thank you. You are correct. It appears Peseiro hasn't signed a contract yet either.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/nigeria-nga ... ermanently

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I like Eguavoen. I think he is a good coach despite the loss. Let's not forget that he did not have any of our top strikers in the team. I fully believe we would have won that match but for the unfortunate turn of events. The most important thing is that the players believe in him.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

He is simply saying he didn't leave his role as technical director. He was never appointed as the substantive SE coach. His interim role, which I assume only covered the AFCON, is technically over. So he would need to be appointed officially to prosecute the playoffs or the NFF can appoint a new substantive coach.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes