Lets talk about the ref in the Tunisia game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gochino
Egg
Egg
Lets talk about the ref in the Tunisia game

Post by gochino »

That ref was terrible, am surprised everyone is focused on bashing Okoye and Eguavoen. Clear hand ball blocked a goal in the first half and he didn’t bother to look at VAR.... Eguavoen touched on this a little in the post match press conference. Nigerian players and coaches really need to learn how to be more vocal and complain on the pitch. That red card offense was the same type of foul Matuidi did on Onazi in the 2014 World cup but he didn’t even get a yellow card! In that same game Mikel was elbowed in the face and he didn’t even go to the ground or complain! By the way, This is the same conroversial ref from the Ghana South Africa game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost. ... h/%3famp=1

"Controversial Senegalese referee, Maguette N’Diaye, has been appointed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to handle Sunday’s Round of 16 clash between Nigeria and Tunisia at the ongoing 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.
Maguette was allegedly dubious in his handling and subsequent awarding of a penalty during the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifier between Ghana and South Africa.

His overall controversial performance in that game, resulted in SAFA lodging a complaint with FIFA, demanding for a replay of the match.

They claimed the game had been manipulated, but their request was later discarded by FIFA."
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg
Re: Lets talk about the ref in the Tunisia game

Post by Goalgetter »

No leaders on the team. Zero leadership! Ekong the captain didn’t press the ref to do a VAR check. He barely said anything. And he (EKong) saw it 100%. I pointed this out during the match on the thread. That’s the moment I knew we were going home. You can’t let chances like that go to waste so casually and still expect to progress in the knockout phase. Our player are not smart AT ALL.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I don't understand how that was a red card.

One of the softest reds I have ever seen. Iwobi was not even trying to make a tackle. He seemed to be pivoting and he had completely control of the ball! The studs on the feet was entirely accidental. A freak accident.

That was different from Matuidi who DEFINITELY wanted to take out Onazi. In fact, France only gained the upper hand in the game after that! To this day, I still have not forgiven Matuidi, and I don't think I ever will.

Teams have been playing dirty against Nigeria for years! Even the goal Argentina scored against us in the 2010 world cup? I think it was. The one from the corner kick! That should not have been given as a goal. One of our players was fouled, the header was NOT unmarked!

Nigeria has not always played bad, we have actually been cheated on many occasions. Our football fortunes would be very different if teams and referees treated us as fairly as we treat other teams.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Goalgetter wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:49 am No leaders on the team. Zero leadership! Ekong the captain didn’t press the ref to do a VAR check. He barely said anything. And he (EKong) saw it 100%. I pointed this out during the match on the thread. That’s the moment I knew we were going home. You can’t let chances like that go to waste so casually and still expect to progress in the knockout phase. Our player are not smart AT ALL.
Your points, about inadequate leadership in the team true.

Question is: Was it intentional?

I have not watched the replay again.

The sequence if I remember correctly was, the ball hit the Tunisian players leg and bounce to his arm.

It reminds me of the Argentina (WC 2018) WC, when Rojo headed the ball on to arm.
Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:

As the interpretation of handball incidents has not always been consistent due to incorrect applications of the Law, the members confirmed that not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence. In terms of the criterion of the hand/arm making a player’s body “unnaturally bigger”, it was confirmed that referees should continue to use their judgment in determining the validity of the hand/arm’s position in relation to the player’s movement in that specific situation.

Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;

touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or

scores in the opponents’ goal:
-directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
-immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

https://www.fifa.com/technical/refereei ... bstitute-t
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

This is where we missed Osimhen and Dennis.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Red cards....

‘endangering the safety of an opponent’ or ‘using excessive force’ (sending-off = red card/RC)......preventing a player through on goal.

Which was the Iwobi one? Was the Tunisian through on goal (I am not sure, I don't want to rewatch it), but I know for sure it was not dangerous play!

It wasn't even a tackle! It was accidental! So if a clear goalscoring opportunity was not denied, I say there is zero grounds for a red card!

Studs up,,,,,ehhhh That is usually judged for two footed reckless plays, this was just normal play. It happens all the time! At least once a game I think. My testosterone seems to be very high these days, but yet I was not even the slightest bit angry at Iwobi in real time. Because I don't think he knew much about it.

Please someone explain to me. I genuinely do not understand how that was given.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:27 pm This is where we missed Osimhen and Dennis.
...and when they show and play at any other matches and we stink una go revert back to "this is where we miss Awoniyi and Iheanacho". Nigerians na real ashewos, no real and dependable man :lol: :lol:
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

The first half against Tunisia, Nigeria were really poor against a team sitting back defending. At no point in time did I think Awoniyi and Umar were good enough to lead the attack for Nigeria. Both are not clinical or at the elite level. I can’t help but think Egu missed a trick by not including Dressers (attributes pace and is clinical)in the squad.

Again I think for this game Kelechi N should have played along side Nididi & Aribo so that he could thread the ball through to Nacho or Taiwo. Since the Tunisians were double & triple teaming Moses.

Against Sudan Egu acted decisively by removing Chukwueze at the start of the second half. I was expecting him to do the same in the Tunisia match. I was surprised Nacho was taken off (only because he poses a goal threat) and should the game go to penalties would be required to take one. I would have removed Chukwueze first and addressed the midfield issue by bring on Kelechi N.

It has been mentioned during the qualifiers that Okoye is not at the desired level for international football ; letting in 4 goals against Sierra Lone and then he was beaten on his near post against Cape Verde. I struggle to think of time Vincent was ever beaten so easily like seems to occur to Okoye. Again Vincent had African champion league experience before playing for Nigeria even Ejide had experience before playing for the national team. Okoye’s position needs to be reviewed and other options sought because you can’t win tournaments letting in soft goals all the time.

I will be very interested to see what adjustments will be made for the Ghana game as this is what the NFF are most interested in the World Cup. Afcon would have been nice but the world stage is Nigeria priority.

My suggestion would be to drop: Awoniyi (not good enough) Umar (not good enough) Okoye (not good enough), Chukwueze (off form) & Iwobi (red card)
Replacements: Victor, Denis, Onuachu (if fit) Dressers, Kalu haven’t got a suggestion for replacement goal keeper.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Just before we lost to Tunisia..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

The boys didnt work the ref enough. You have to set the tone with refs like in the first 10 min as some of them can do your team in. This particular ref didnt send naija at all and i saw it in first 15min and knew it might be one of those days. The Tunisians where playing African football and flying into tackles and the refs was alloying it and our boys too were not going down. Its a mixture of bad ref and our boys not doing their part to compel the hand of the ref.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Flex Swift wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm The first half against Tunisia, Nigeria were really poor against a team sitting back defending. At no point in time did I think Awoniyi and Umar were good enough to lead the attack for Nigeria. Both are not clinical or at the elite level. I can’t help but think Egu missed a trick by not including Dressers (attributes pace and is clinical)in the squad.

Again I think for this game Kelechi N should have played along side Nididi & Aribo so that he could thread the ball through to Nacho or Taiwo. Since the Tunisians were double & triple teaming Moses.

Against Sudan Egu acted decisively by removing Chukwueze at the start of the second half. I was expecting him to do the same in the Tunisia match. I was surprised Nacho was taken off (only because he poses a goal threat) and should the game go to penalties would be required to take one. I would have removed Chukwueze first and addressed the midfield issue by bring on Kelechi N.

It has been mentioned during the qualifiers that Okoye is not at the desired level for international football ; letting in 4 goals against Sierra Lone and then he was beaten on his near post against Cape Verde. I struggle to think of time Vincent was ever beaten so easily like seems to occur to Okoye. Again Vincent had African champion league experience before playing for Nigeria even Ejide had experience before playing for the national team. Okoye’s position needs to be reviewed and other options sought because you can’t win tournaments letting in soft goals all the time.

I will be very interested to see what adjustments will be made for the Ghana game as this is what the NFF are most interested in the World Cup. Afcon would have been nice but the world stage is Nigeria priority.

My suggestion would be to drop: Awoniyi (not good enough) Umar (not good enough) Okoye (not good enough), Chukwueze (off form) & Iwobi (red card)
Replacements: Victor, Denis, Onuachu (if fit) Dressers, Kalu haven’t got a suggestion for replacement goal keeper.
We all have the benefit of hindsight BUT I cannot honestly fault Eguavoen.

He came out with his best team for the 1st half. The Tunisians defended well but did not threaten us. Nigeria also did not have clear cut chances BUT we were the better side even in the supposedly BAD first half. We were the more likely to score.

In the second half, he wanted to see how the team will respond to half time talk. Two minutes into the second half Tunisia was GIFTED a goal. At this point the team had to react.

Iwobi was brought in and within 10 minutes he got a red card! At this point there is little the coach can do than to hope on LUCK. He gambled BUT the gamble did not pay off.

I will not discard any of the players. Apart from Osimhen the absent payers are not SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we have now.

So no need to panic. The team should look at what they could have done better to improve! A team does not become bad overnight.

Tunisia won because a number of things were in their favour (Gifted goal, soft red card etc)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

The ref was excellent!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

gochino wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am Nigerian players and coaches really need to learn how to be more vocal and complain on the pitch.
I was saying this in 2018 when some Argentina player was walking around the pitch covered in blood. The protocol is for the game to be stopped but the ref allowed it to continue and Mikel the captain did nothing - bloody useless. A break in play would have at least stopped Argentine momentum.

Nigerian footballers are a compliant bunch.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

visieC wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:07 pm The ref was excellent!
:roll:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:02 pm
gochino wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am Nigerian players and coaches really need to learn how to be more vocal and complain on the pitch.
I was saying this in 2018 when some Argentina player was walking around the pitch covered in blood. The protocol is for the game to be stopped but the ref allowed it to continue and Mikel the captain did nothing - bloody useless. A break in play would have at least stopped Argentine momentum.
Mascherano, for at least 10 minutes.
The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:02 pm
Nigerian footballers are a compliant bunch.
Victims of our "mek you manage am, respect elders", culture. Kai! What could have been that day in 2018! We had them on the ropes.

Wha choo looking at?!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

That's the one. I was yelling at my TV.

There are exceptions to the rule but you need leaders out there. Someone who doesn't tolerate nonsense. Ekong doesn't strike me as such. I'd rather Ndidi was captain amongst the current squad.

Take the recent intrusion of Pinnick et al into the dressing room at half-time. Every player would have been within their right to drag Pinnick out of there but instead put up with his foolishness because "na my elder".
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:14 pm That's the one. I was yelling at my TV.

There are exceptions to the rule but you need leaders out there. Someone who doesn't tolerate nonsense. Ekong doesn't strike me as such. I'd rather Ndidi was captain amongst the current squad.

Take the recent intrusion of Pinnick et al into the dressing room at half-time. Every player would have been within their right to drag Pinnick out of there but instead put up with his foolishness because "na my elder".
In my opinion, 3 Nigerian players with the guts and the clout to do this: Keshi, Olise, and Osaze.

Aside, this is one of the reasons I believe the captain's armband should highly weight certain other critical factors besides seniority.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It is not hindsight.

Immediately as Eguavoen took Iheanacho off I was puzzled.

It didn't seem to make sense in REAL TIME. My ONLY sense of the situation was that maybe it was the yellow card. That was the only thing I could think of. And when I saw both Iheanacho and Awoniyi come off, I was extremely confused. I think my real time reaction of the match and my hindsight reaction are actually exactly the same.

I don't think I have changed my opinion after the fact about anything really.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

By and large,I think the ref was okay. He made some mistakes, but to me, they were in the margin of error.

Red card: New FIFA rules. Once it went to VAR, you guys have to understand it wasn’t his decision alone. There was another ref in the VAR booth stating his opinion. It is what it is

Fouls: Maybe a bit favorable to the Tunisians, but to me, fell in line with acceptable levels of human error
Last edited by deanotito on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

wanaj0 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:57 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm The first half against Tunisia, Nigeria were really poor against a team sitting back defending. At no point in time did I think Awoniyi and Umar were good enough to lead the attack for Nigeria. Both are not clinical or at the elite level. I can’t help but think Egu missed a trick by not including Dressers (attributes pace and is clinical)in the squad.

He came out with his best team for the 1st half. The Tunisians defended well but did not threaten us. Nigeria also did not have clear cut chances BUT we were the better side even in the supposedly BAD first half. We were the more likely to score.

In the second half, he wanted to see how the team will respond to half time talk. Two minutes into the second half Tunisia was GIFTED a goal. At this point the team had to react.

Iwobi was brought in and within 10 minutes he got a red card! At this point there is little the coach can do than to hope on LUCK. He gambled BUT the gamble did not pay off.

I will not discard any of the players. Apart from Osimhen the absent payers are not SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we have now.

So no need to panic. The team should look at what they could have done better to improve! A team does not become bad overnight.

Tunisia won because a number of things were in their favour (Gifted goal, soft red card etc)
I largely think this is what Eguavoen was trying to do but I would have done different. At half time, noticing how ineffective Chukwueze and Aribo were in making the Tunisians pay for their overloading Moses Simon, I would have replaced them with Musa/Iwobi and Nwakali. If this were a group game, I might have given the first team time to respond in the 2nd half. But this was an elimination game. I just wouldn’t have taken that chance.

And then when he did sub, he threw on Olayinka…what the hell for??

I like Egu. But he blew that game with the subs. He might still have managed to pull it off without the red, but the subs were all the way wrong

By the way, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO CHUKWUEZE??? This is not the boy we used to know. So timid with the ball these days
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

deanotito wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:51 am
wanaj0 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:57 pm

I largely think this is what Eguavoen was trying to do but I would have done different. At half time, noticing how ineffective Chukwueze and Aribo were in making the Tunisians pay for their overloading Moses Simon, I would have replaced them with Musa/Iwobi and Nwakali. If this were a group game, I might have given the first team time to respond in the 2nd half. But this was an elimination game. I just wouldn’t have taken that chance.

And then when he did sub, he threw on Olayinka…what the hell for??

I like Egu. But he blew that game with the subs. He might still have managed to pull it off without the red, but the subs were all the way wrong

By the way, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO CHUKWUEZE??? This is not the boy we used to know. So timid with the ball these days
Guess everyone will react differently.

You've just had 15mins to discuss with the players during half time. Natural thing is to see how that pans out.

Now for a knockout game that can go into extra time, you don't want to make changes too early. You may need them in extra time. So 45mins into the match is hardly the time to throw the kitchen sink.

As at the time he was throwing in Musa and Olayinka, I believe it was about anyone that can score! We were not clinical enough.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The referee was perfect....
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

deanotito wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:45 am By and large,I think the ref was okay. He made some mistakes, but to me, they were in the margin of error.

Red card: New FIFA rules. Once it went to VAR, you guys have to understand it wasn’t his decision alone. There was another ref in the VAR booth stating his opinion. It is what it is

Fouls: Maybe a bit favorable to the Tunisians, but to me, fell in line with acceptable levels of human error
You red card take does not make sense. Another ref can state his opinion, but it's up to the official ref to make the decision. That's precisely why they have the official ref go watch the replay himself...
NIGERIAN BADBOY!