Misfiring back up strikers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Misfiring back up strikers

Post by chief nfachairman »

Guys, we've spoken about several things concerning the Nigerian team but nobody has spoken about the strikers. They were poor considering that between both strikers, they could only muster 2 goals (1 was a fluke).

Bar Osimhen, we don't have an effective backup.

Onuachu - hasn't been impressive enough for the national team and has been firing blanks at club level this season.
Awoniyi - was just average at the Afcon.
Sadiq - Average and annoying alot of times.

Terem Moffi - hasnt scored in donkey years.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Misfiring back up strikers

Post by airwolex »

Osimhen, Iheanacho, Ighalo are are strikers going forward.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

chief nfachairman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:22 pm Guys, we've spoken about several things concerning the Nigerian team but nobody has spoken about the strikers. They were poor considering that between both strikers, they could only muster 2 goals (1 was a fluke).

Onuachu - hasn't been impressive enough for the national team and has been firing blanks at club level this season.

The same Onuachu who coming back from another injury just scored his 15th goal of the season on Sunday? While Moffi has struggled this season, but isn't that expected after what he did in the last season as defenders know more about his game, he also scored on sunday which would do a lot for his confidence going forward.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ha! Don't mention Awoniyi o! You have to praise him, otherwise stating the fact that the starting forward for Nigeria scored ZERO goal and one deflection in 214 minutes in a major tournament will be called dishonest.
chief nfachairman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:22 pm Guys, we've spoken about several things concerning the Nigerian team but nobody has spoken about the strikers. They were poor considering that between both strikers, they could only muster 2 goals (1 was a fluke).

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 pm Osimhen, Iheanacho, Ighalo are are strikers going forward.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 pm Osimhen, Iheanacho, Ighalo are are strikers going forward.
Ighalo that missed 2 clear sitters against Cape Verde.

Far worse than any misses by any of our other strikers.

And all he did otherwise was to run around like a pregnant woman.

Hell no.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Also if people want to be honest, Osimehn misses just as many chances as any of these guys.

Our only top quality finisher is Nacho but he cannot play lone striker.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

How can a striker score when the wing play is almost non existent. The sight of Simon booting crosses to no mans land alone cant demotivate a striker from making runs. The problems is more the wingers and the AM role not being good enough to feed strikers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

oscar52 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:10 am How can a striker score when the wing play is almost non existent. The sight of Simon booting crosses to no mans land alone cant demotivate a striker from making runs. The problems is more the wingers and the AM role not being good enough to feed strikers.
True.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Are you for real? None of the strikers played 3 complete games, Sadiq didn't even play up to 2 complete games and scored, so is a goal in every 2 games bad??
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

i really had high hopes for Awoniyi, though i must say even Osimhen would have struggled with this team (poor ball supply).
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Going forward Dennis should e starting. he reminds me of Amokachie in his hey days.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

The same misfiring players score 10+ goals every season in top European leagues. Many of them just need time to settle and a coach with a plan.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Misfiring because deadwoods like Musa and Onuachu keep occupying their spots. Maybe if they got more opportunities during the qualifiers they would be more confident in the tournament proper.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

azuka wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 pm Going forward Dennis should e starting. he reminds me of Amokachie in his hey days.
AMokachi ke?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

azuka wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 pm Going forward Dennis should e starting. he reminds me of Amokachie in his hey days.
Dennis is lazy when he doesn’t have the ball. And he loses the ball too much, even more than Nacho. That is a big no no at top level football. You guys will soon find out that he is not all that.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

chief nfachairman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm
AMokachi ke?
Yes. Play him behind a striker like Onuachi who lacks movement in my opinion then you will see how deadly that combination will be.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Before the tournament I mentioned that it was a huge risk taking players that didn’t play in a single qualifier to the Afcon. It is not at the tournament that you find out if the players are good enough.

Both Taiwo & Sadiq are not clinical strikers even for at their respective clubs they don’t score Hat tricks or more than a single goal per game. The level Sadiq plays at is really low. At least they got play at the Afcon and people now know the level they are at.

Nigeria is in a position to give strikers an opportunity and if they don’t take it they can be dropped and replacements take their spot. Example Moffi & Dressers should be given an opportunity if they don’t perform they equally should be dropped. We have enough strikers in Europe to keep testing until a solution is found.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Lolly wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:16 pm
Dennis is lazy when he doesn’t have the ball. And he loses the ball too much, even more than Nacho. That is a big no no at top level football. You guys will soon find out that he is not all that.
In all the matches i have seen him play, this happens usually when he plays as a winger which to me is a no no. I try to watch Watford frequently simply because of Dennis, Ekong and Peter Etebo the midfielder.

Peter Etebo is another player who should come into the SE equation going forward. Would love to see him featured in the SE as the base of a 3 man midfield with Ndidi and Aribo flanking him. The few times he played like that in Watford, he has been impressive. By the way is he injured or something.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Flex Swift wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:24 pm Before the tournament I mentioned that it was a huge risk taking players that didn’t play in a single qualifier to the Afcon. It is not at the tournament that you find out if the players are good enough.

Both Taiwo & Sadiq are not clinical strikers even for at their respective clubs they don’t score Hat tricks or more than a single goal per game. The level Sadiq plays at is really low. At least they got play at the Afcon and people now know the level they are at.

Nigeria is in a position to give strikers an opportunity and if they don’t take it they can be dropped and replacements take their spot. Example Moffi & Dressers should be given an opportunity if they don’t perform they equally should be dropped. We have enough strikers in Europe to keep testing until a solution is found.
I totally agree on Moffi being giving a good run in the team. The few times i have seen him play in Ligue 1 he has been clinical scoring half chances.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

To those who say Kelechi isn't creative enough.

danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

The YeyeMan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:49 pm To those who say Kelechi isn't creative enough.

Not sure I understand the graph.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Then they should just stay in Europe and let strikers who can adjust like Sadiq play for us!
niyi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:49 pm The same misfiring players score 10+ goals every season in top European leagues. Many of them just need time to settle and a coach with a plan.