Was the Super Eagles really the best team in the group stage ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chopachop
Egg
Egg
Was the Super Eagles really the best team in the group stage ?

Post by chopachop »

During and after the group stages, a lot of eagle's fans here in this forum and even in interviews
of fans after Super Eagles matches talked how the Super Eagles were the best team in the whole
tournament. I think beating Egypt in that first match and being the only team with the maximum
points in the group phase was the undoing of the Super Eagles, Especially, the Egypt victory.
Egypt was just unbelievably poor hence the one sided nature of the match which is not reflected in
the scores.
The nature of the victory gave the players, Egu, naive Naija journalist and the fans the false
impression that the Super Eagles were the best team in the tournament and the trophy was theirs to lose.
I still believe, if the eagles had lost or drawn the opener with Egypt they would today be in the Q.finals.
Lesson to learn, don't count your chicks before the egg hatch.
The other two teams Guinea.B and Sudan were piss poor as well and both went out with a point each.
Group D is one of two groups that didn't have a third place finisher which indicates there was a large gulf
between the Super Eagles and the other two teams.
Back to Egypt, football is a team sports, something a lot of people tend to forget, with Mo Salah one of
the best players in European Soccer people automatically classify Egypt as contenders and forgetting that
a good player is as good as the cast around him, Messi, the six time ballon finally won a trophy playing for
country in the twilight of his soccer career, what is the lesson, club soccer especially the heavily commercialized
European soccer and FIFA ranking shouldn't be sole basis used to judge how good a NT is but how all the components
of the machine are well oiled and working in synchro. The Pharaohs will continue to struggle as long as the other
players continue to look at Mo Salah as the Superstar of the team and they as the supporting cast.
Which brings us to the question, was the S.Eagles the best team in the group stage ? My take, the accolade of
Best Team in the Group Stage is utter nonsense and nothing but a feel good thing. In every tournament there is only
one best team and that is the only team that is first in the records and remembered, that is the winner.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Was the Super Eagles really the best team in the group stage ?

Post by Molue Conductor »

chopachop wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:30 am During and after the group stages, a lot of eagle's fans here in this forum and even in interviews
of fans after Super Eagles matches talked how the Super Eagles were the best team in the whole
tournament. I think beating Egypt in that first match and being the only team with the maximum
points in the group phase was the undoing of the Super Eagles, Especially, the Egypt victory.
Egypt was just unbelievably poor hence the one sided nature of the match which is not reflected in
the scores.
The nature of the victory gave the players, Egu, naive Naija journalist and the fans the false
impression that the Super Eagles were the best team in the tournament and the trophy was theirs to lose.
I still believe, if the eagles had lost or drawn the opener with Egypt they would today be in the Q.finals.
Lesson to learn, don't count your chicks before the egg hatch.
The other two teams Guinea.B and Sudan were piss poor as well and both went out with a point each.
Group D is one of two groups that didn't have a third place finisher which indicates there was a large gulf
between the Super Eagles and the other two teams.
Back to Egypt, football is a team sports, something a lot of people tend to forget, with Mo Salah one of
the best players in European Soccer people automatically classify Egypt as contenders and forgetting that
a good player is as good as the cast around him, Messi, the six time ballon finally won a trophy playing for
country in the twilight of his soccer career, what is the lesson, club soccer especially the heavily commercialized
European soccer and FIFA ranking shouldn't be sole basis used to judge how good a NT is but how all the components
of the machine are well oiled and working in synchro. The Pharaohs will continue to struggle as long as the other
players continue to look at Mo Salah as the Superstar of the team and they as the supporting cast.
Which brings us to the question, was the S.Eagles the best team in the group stage ? My take, the accolade of
Best Team in the Group Stage is utter nonsense and nothing but a feel good thing. In every tournament there is only
one best team and that is the only team that is first in the records and remembered, that is the winner.
I disagree.
The beauty of tournaments is that the best team is not necessarily the winner. Depends on the day. Typically the best team(s) win in a league format.