What went wrong...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

imehjunior
Egg
Egg
What went wrong...

Post by imehjunior »

Edefa's post mortem of the Eagles ANC performance.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: What went wrong...

Post by Bigpokey24 »

That edafe, kind of erks me
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:28 pm That edafe, kind of erks me
Maybe so, but he spoke a lot of sense.
He didn’t and doesn’t generally bash Rohr so it’s obvious why you can’t stand him.

I haven’t been able to rewatch the game (too painful), but I am willing to agree with Edafe on:
1. The loss of focus after winning the group in style i.e. the ‘Denmark Syndrome’ all over again - the Tunisian covid situation, fan euphoria etc
2. The persistent focus on Simon even though it was obvious he was being double-marked and shut down - leaving open other opportunities elsewhere which we failed to explore.
3. Moses still not delivering crosses despite his other qualities.
4. Egu making good changes but the hill being too steep.
5. Nacho and Chukwueze not really impressing.
6. Aina and Zaidu being top performers
7. Okoye not deserving of blame
8. Sadiq growing noticeably in the tournament.

I am willing to concede the following:
1. Awoniyi could have done much better and was “trying too hard” to be an Osimhen
2. Ekong and Omeruo had fairly good tournaments and not being as bad as I have argued
3. Back room staff not being capable, including Yobo who he specifically mentions
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

We have a really strange system of playing. Why does Ekong need to do the job of a midfielder and attempt giving through balls to Moses the entire match? Why not give the midfielders more responsibilities instead of by passing them.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:28 pm That edafe, kind of erks me
Maybe so, but he spoke a lot of sense.
He didn’t and doesn’t generally bash Rohr so it’s obvious why you can’t stand him.

I haven’t been able to rewatch the game (too painful), but I am willing to agree with Edafe on:
1. The loss of focus after winning the group in style i.e. the ‘Denmark Syndrome’ all over again - the Tunisian covid situation, fan euphoria etc
2. The persistent focus on Simon even though it was obvious he was being double-marked and shut down - leaving open other opportunities elsewhere which we failed to explore.
3. Moses still not delivering crosses despite his other qualities.
4. Egu making good changes but the hill being too steep.
5. Nacho and Chukwueze not really impressing.
6. Aina and Zaidu being top performers
7. Okoye not deserving of blame
8. Sadiq growing noticeably in the tournament.

1. Awoniyi could have done much better and was “trying too hard” to be an Osimhen
2. Ekong and Omeruo had fairly good tournaments and not being as bad as I have argued
3. Back room staff not being capable, including Yobo who he specifically mentions
The issue with the loss was too many officials and politicians crashing camp and speaking to the players during half time. Why should a freaking politician show up in the dressing room talking and wasting half time rest or revamp sessions?

let us be honest, Egu made great tactical changes after we went down, however the red card affected us , but we still kept on pushing, poor finishing was to blame. As i said we missed Osimhen/Ighalo ... both players would have finished many of the chances we fluffed ( do we expect the coach to kick the ball into the net? ????. Also we had a PK that wasn't given in the first half, also great goal-keeping stopped us from winning . The coaching staff adjusted to the game and the goal scored was a huge fluke. I will not blame the goalie for that
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

What went Wrong is Egu being a dinosaur….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...what went wrong was we saw it it coming when a disorganized NFA fired a coach days before a major tournament. Let us stop hiding this fact.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

mcal wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:24 pm ...what went wrong was we saw it it coming when a disorganized NFA fired a coach days before a major tournament. Let us stop hiding this fact.
I get u…..

I am betting on Nigeria beating Ghana home and away since they just sacked their coach and hired Houghton….

Ppl keep banging in about this firing time….Egu was the technical director….Salisu and Yobo were the assistant coach…,same players….

Unless you tell me that Egu is taking salary and not technically directing anything….that will make him even a bigger fraud
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

mcal wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:24 pm ...what went wrong was we saw it it coming when a disorganized NFA fired a coach days before a major tournament. Let us stop hiding this fact.
You did not state this when they won all THREE group games
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enyi wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:41 am What went Wrong is Egu being a dinosaur….
Exactly why he won 3 and lost 1
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:27 pm
Tournament ain’t a league bro…..HE LOST….SIMPLE

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enyi wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:49 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:27 pm
Tournament ain’t a league bro…..HE LOST….SIMPLE
That he lost was not in doubt.

But not aware that losing a match turns the coach to a dinosaur
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:25 pm
...smoke screen.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

gochino wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 am We have a really strange system of playing. Why does Ekong need to do the job of a midfielder and attempt giving through balls to Moses the entire match? Why not give the midfielders more responsibilities instead of by passing them.
It is really that simple and the midfielders are not confident playing the ball out not that it wasn't their responsibility cos that's one of the important part of of being a midfielder
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 am We have a really strange system of playing. Why does Ekong need to do the job of a midfielder and attempt giving through balls to Moses the entire match? Why not give the midfielders more responsibilities instead of by passing them.
Gochino,

You have a point but there is ample reason for this. If you notice none of our midfielders can confidently, accurately, and consistently put a slitting pass behind the defense. The only one remotely close is Alex Iwobi. People are shouting about Etebo but that is only because Etebo was not at the tournament. Etebo is really about extremely short passes Abeg give me, I go give you back type of passes. That is Etebo. We no longer have Mikel Obi who can provide such passes consistently. Thus, the default is to attempt to do more of this from very deep and Ekong was the master of this at this AFCON.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

thats what happens when you are stuck on 1994 and you play only 2 central midfielders who become overworked and dont know if they should attack or defend.

Our continued tactical mistake of playing only 2 midfielders will continue to be our failure.

failed with Rohr and failed with Egu.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enyi wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:04 pm
I get u…..

I am betting on Nigeria beating Ghana home and away since they just sacked their coach and hired Houghton….

Ppl keep banging in about this firing time….Egu was the technical director….Salisu and Yobo were the assistant coach…,same players….

Unless you tell me that Egu is taking salary and not technically directing anything….that will make him even a bigger fraud
KPOM x 1000

and what of the Kebab coach ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:25 pm
I dont know why people keep bringing up that stupid excuse.

We were THE ONLY TEAM to win all 3 games. So was it really "disorganization"

Or the more likely conclusion that Egu is a one trick pony that got found out by even a mediocre team. Of course the red didn't help.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 pm
Gochino,

You have a point but there is ample reason for this. If you notice none of our midfielders can confidently, accurately, and consistently put a slitting pass behind the defense. The only one remotely close is Alex Iwobi. People are shouting about Etebo but that is only because Etebo was not at the tournament. Etebo is really about extremely short passes Abeg give me, I go give you back type of passes. That is Etebo. We no longer have Mikel Obi who can provide such passes consistently. Thus, the default is to attempt to do more of this from very deep and Ekong was the master of this at this AFCON.
Joe Aribo has not played ONE MATCH as an AM. Even from deep he put Osimehn through with a beautiful pass against Liberia.

You cannot complain about midfielers being unable to create, WHEN YOU ONLY PLAY 2 OF THEM, and expect them to both attack and defend, while our wingers are busy running into culdesacs.

How many times was Iwobi played as one of two central midfielders ? He would fail as well.

PLAY 3 CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS (NOT NACHO)

IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:28 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 pm
Gochino,

Joe Aribo has not played ONE MATCH as an AM. Even from deep he put Osimehn through with a beautiful pass against Liberia.

You cannot complain about midfielers being unable to create, WHEN YOU ONLY PLAY 2 OF THEM, and expect them to both attack and defend, while our wingers are busy running into culdesacs.

How many times was Iwobi played as one of two central midfielders ? He would fail as well.

PLAY 3 CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS (NOT NACHO)

IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT.
Unfortunately, your understanding of the way the team is laid out is quite different. Nigeria hardly, in recent times, used ONLY THREE MIDFIELDERS. That is just not TRUE. The midfield consists of wide areas, please take note of that. Both Moses Simon and Chukwueze are wide midfielders. The midfield is not just the central area and that is simply what you appear to focus on. That, strangely, is old house soccer.

Bros, even when Egu talked about crosses he was not referring to old style forwards crossing the ball from wide. Instead, he was referring to wide midfielders doing so from wide but even then those wide midfielders still have to work to win the ball back. All you have to do is watch how the SE line ups when they do not have the ball and are attempting to win the ball back from the opponent. It ought to tell you all you need to know.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

I wish more people will make more sense in answering questions. Why must it be always rhetorics, and abusive words and comments? I don't get it.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The guy was absolutely spot on. We lost due to lack of preparations. That's what happened!
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Hmmm! Thank God I recorded the games. Let me go and rewatch them, because I dont recall seeing Awoniyi trying to be anyone else but himself.

Seriously, why is difficult for some to admit that Awoniyi' tried his best but it wasnt good enough at this stage?
Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 am

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.