Nigerian coaching crew announced (OFFICAL)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigerian coaching crew announced (OFFICAL)

Post by Schillachi »

Orion wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:57 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:43 am
Orion wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:33 am
maceo4 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:01 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:29 pm I don't get it. Why is Augustine Eguavoen's role still "interim"? :roll:

Just give him the substantive role until the end of the World Cup. Let the man feel secure so he throws everything behind the job. If he fails to get there then the contract ends automatically anyway.
You want to deny picnic the opportunity to easily swap in whichever wowo agrees to their terms? Just watch, if we make the WC vultures will be circling don’t be surprised if we see a wowo in Qatar…that said Egu should feel secure since he has his TD desk job waiting for him once his interim role is done.
What's going on now seems more to do with the FIFA payout we'll get if we qualify. Rohr was set to get a decent cut of that payout which now goes into the pockets of NFF officials. This whole "interim" thing is fishy and seems like a way to avoid a contract that will give the substantive coach a slice of that bonus. My concern is that Eguavoen is enabling the lack of professionalism and greed that's going on here and it can cost us the WC place.
Orion,

Let me get this right? Egu cannot get the pay out? Right? Why are they hiring an FC to lead the team to the actual WC if we qualify if this is indeed about payout? Would it not make sense to keep a local there since, according to you, they can then keep the payout to themselves?

BTW, why hire someone who may not be as good as Egu simply because the person is an FC? Are you concerned about that? Or just maybe every FC should be better than Egu since they maybe European and they are ordinarily better than a local? Just checking.
Who said they would hire an FC? What would be the point of hiring another coach if Egu qualifies for the World Cup with a few months to go to? Are you saying they didn't learn anything from 2010?

Eguavoen is in the employment of the NFF. I believe what they're trying to pull off now is to use an internal staff member to qualify for the world cup as an "interim" coach with a substantially lower remuneration agreement than would have gone to a substantive coach with a bonafide contract. If this is what they’re planning then Eguavoen is enabling this.
So are you saying Eguavoen should resign? Which kin rubbish person no go hear for CE
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Schillachi wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:26 am
Orion wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:29 pm I don't get it. Why is Augustine Eguavoen's role still "interim"? :roll:

Just give him the substantive role until the end of the World Cup. Let the man feel secure so he throws everything behind the job. If he fails to get there then the contract ends automatically anyway.
You want to deny picnic the opportunity to easily swap in whichever wowo agrees to their terms? Just watch, if we make the WC vultures will be circling don’t be surprised if we see a wowo in Qatar…that said Egu should feel secure since he has his TD desk job waiting for him once his interim role is done.
What's going on now seems more to do with the FIFA payout we'll get if we qualify. Rohr was set to get a decent cut of that payout which now goes into the pockets of NFF officials. This whole "interim" thing is fishy and seems like a way to avoid a contract that will give the substantive coach a slice of that bonus. My concern is that Eguavoen is enabling the lack of professionalism and greed that's going on here and it can cost us the WC place.
Orion,

Let me get this right? Egu cannot get the pay out? Right? Why are they hiring an FC to lead the team to the actual WC if we qualify if this is indeed about payout? Would it not make sense to keep a local there since, according to you, they can then keep the payout to themselves?

BTW, why hire someone who may not be as good as Egu simply because the person is an FC? Are you concerned about that? Or just maybe every FC should be better than Egu since they maybe European and they are ordinarily better than a local? Just checking.
Who said they would hire an FC? What would be the point of hiring another coach if Egu qualifies for the World Cup with a few months to go to? Are you saying they didn't learn anything from 2010?

Eguavoen is in the employment of the NFF. I believe what they're trying to pull off now is to use an internal staff member to qualify for the world cup as an "interim" coach with a substantially lower remuneration agreement than would have gone to a substantive coach with a bonafide contract. If this is what they’re planning then Eguavoen is enabling this.
So are you saying Eguavoen should resign? Which kin rubbish person no go hear for CE
You guys keep running away from the real issue with strawmen arguments.

Eguavoen should demand a proper contract now that will see him to the end of the World Cup. If he fails to make the world cup, no wahala, the contract self-terminates as that would be a target in the contract. No interim nonsense. If they refuse then he shouldn't take this "interim" role. He should go back to his job with the NFF.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion,

Orion,

I did not state that you said they will hire an FC. I thought you are up to date with the news. Well here it is.... the NFF has stated that it plans to hire a substantive FC after the WCQ. I thought you are aware of that hence my question. Given that statement by the NFF, why would the NFF make Egu the substantive manager.

Nevertheless, I actually support the view expressed by you (I hope I am not misquoting you) that Egu should be made the substantive Manager. In such a case, he should be offered a befitting contract.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The Eagle wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:56 pm
okuns wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:26 pm It was confusing to me too. I was under the impression that the Technical Director/Adviser develops and coordinates all the National teams (U17s, U21 etc.) program from a strategic standpoint.
A long time ago, the NFA/NFF wanted to spend a lot of money on a white European coach. There was already a black Nigerian coach. For some reason, maybe politics, I don't know, it was deemed problematic to just sack the Nigerian coach and replace him with a much, much, much higher paid white coach. So the NFA/NFF came up with a solution. Theoretically the Nigerian would remain "chief coach" of the Eagles, and had not been sacked. However, a European "technical adviser" would be hired to .... well .... that requires a bit of explaining.

It isn't an accident that "technical adviser" sounds like "technical director". We were told the white European would perform the duties of a "technical director". The list of things they said he would be responsible for was long. For one thing he was supposed to join the coaches of the Nigerian clubs in African continental competition and "advise them". He was also supposed to improve the technical quality of coaching across the League. He was supposed to "advise" the NFA/NFF itself on how to professionalize its practices .... and funny enough, he was also responsible for training the cadre of Nigerian national coaches that were supposed to replace him .... so, in other words the "technical adviser" would be responsible for setting up a scenario where Nigeria never again needed to hire a white European coach.

This explained his hiring. This explained why he was paid so much. And we didn't need to worry about our fellow Nigerian being sacked as "chief coach", because he was still "chief coach".

Except in practice, the European "technical adviser" did nothing other than serve as Eagles "chief coach". The Nigerian who held the title "chief coach" had no decision-making power, but did retain the right to sit on the bench during matches. Occasionally he would point. Sometimes he would stand up. Then he would sit down. But the white dude had all the power, and the white dude didn't do any of the "technical director" things NFA/NFF said he would.

Things in Nigeria tend to ossify, and our society begins to repeat the ossified behaviour without remembering why we started the ossified behaviour, what purpose the ossified behaviour was meant to serve, whether the ossified behaviour has ever served that purpose, and why on Earth we are still doing it.

So ....

Austin Eguavoen's permanent job is "technical DIRECTOR". He is temporarily holding another job ("technical ADVISER") whose continued existence is a reminder that Pinnick will replace Eguavoen (as "adviser" not "director") with a white European at earliest convenience.

Amunike holds the "chief coach" title that is usually powerless .... however, this is looking like an unusual situation, and Amunike will likely have a substantive role, more significant than holders of the position usually have. But he isn't the "chief coach" as the term is understood in simple English.

The final decisions will still be made by Eguavoen, the real "chief" .... but he will likely put head together with fellow ex-internationals Amunike, Yobo and Agu.

PS: I don't know what Salisu does.

PPS: Sorry for making this a long post .... but it seems a lot of people on this forum don't understand the history of these titles in the Eagles. If it was up to me, the titles would long have been simplified, and most of the things they told us the "technical adviser" would do decades ago would have been done decades ago (by a Nigerian), as opposed to still being undone as of today.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Eventually, money will scatter dem into factions. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:31 am Orion,

I did not state that you said they will hire an FC. I thought you are up to date with the news. Well here it is.... the NFF has stated that it plans to hire a substantive FC after the WCQ. I thought you are aware of that hence my question. Given that statement by the NFF, why would the NFF make Egu the substantive manager.

Nevertheless, I actually support the view expressed by you (I hope I am not misquoting you) that Egu should be made the substantive Manager. In such a case, he should be offered a befitting contract.
Wow, thanks for the update. So it's worse than I actually thought.

This lame duck thing is scary. I don't know of any coach that can commit fully knowing they're only there temporarily and someone else will come and benefit from all their hard work. This is not looking good.

It still doesn't negate my original point. There is a substantial bonus due to the coach that comes with the qualification itself. If you don't hire a coach with a proper contract, you don't get to pay that bonus.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:20 am
maceo4 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:25 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:21 pm
Robbynice wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:16 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:06 pm I can promise you we are the first team in history to have chief coach/first assistant role.
I love it. We are so bleeding creative!
:rotf: :clap: :thumbs: :taunt:
No we are not the first. It is not the first time in Nigeria history sef. During Westerhof days, He was the Technical adviser of the team and Bonfere was the chief coach, the 1st assistant
Basically Amunike is replacing Rohr in his managerial role while Eguavoen reverts back to his "office" job in the background.
Nope, Amunike took Salisus position and pushed him down the pecking order, Egu is both TD and interim at ****s former position as Technical Adviser…terminology is funny but that’s how they’ve been doing it…TA is numero uno and Head coach is his 2nd in command…
So that means Rohr was never the coach ? It was Egu all along.
Lol TD is different from TA…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

If Amuneke is denying any knowledge of this new arrangement to which he is key, does it mean the whole thing was fake news; or does it mean the announcement was not based on any discussions?
Amuneke says he wasn’t consulted AT ALL.
So for the NFF to come out with that announcement on ALL its official media outlets is completely bizarre, even by their standards.

Unless the Amuneke denial itself is fake news i.e. “I didn’t say I said I was not contacted”, :tic: this whole thing is a head scratcher.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

okuns wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:26 pm It was confusing to me too. I was under the impression that the Technical Director/Adviser develops and coordinates all the National teams (U17s, U21 etc.) program from a strategic standpoint.
A long time ago, the NFA/NFF wanted to spend a lot of money on a white European coach. There was already a black Nigerian coach. For some reason, maybe politics, I don't know, it was deemed problematic to just sack the Nigerian coach and replace him with a much, much, much higher paid white coach. So the NFA/NFF came up with a solution. Theoretically the Nigerian would remain "chief coach" of the Eagles, and had not been sacked. However, a European "technical adviser" would be hired to .... well .... that requires a bit of explaining.

It isn't an accident that "technical adviser" sounds like "technical director". We were told the white European would perform the duties of a "technical director". The list of things they said he would be responsible for was long. For one thing he was supposed to join the coaches of the Nigerian clubs in African continental competition and "advise them". He was also supposed to improve the technical quality of coaching across the League. He was supposed to "advise" the NFA/NFF itself on how to professionalize its practices .... and funny enough, he was also responsible for training the cadre of Nigerian national coaches that were supposed to replace him .... so, in other words the "technical adviser" would be responsible for setting up a scenario where Nigeria never again needed to hire a white European coach.

This explained his hiring. This explained why he was paid so much. And we didn't need to worry about our fellow Nigerian being sacked as "chief coach", because he was still "chief coach".

Except in practice, the European "technical adviser" did nothing other than serve as Eagles "chief coach". The Nigerian who held the title "chief coach" had no decision-making power, but did retain the right to sit on the bench during matches. Occasionally he would point. Sometimes he would stand up. Then he would sit down. But the white dude had all the power, and the white dude didn't do any of the "technical director" things NFA/NFF said he would.

Things in Nigeria tend to ossify, and our society begins to repeat the ossified behaviour without remembering why we started the ossified behaviour, what purpose the ossified behaviour was meant to serve, whether the ossified behaviour has ever served that purpose, and why on Earth we are still doing it.

So ....

Austin Eguavoen's permanent job is "technical DIRECTOR". He is temporarily holding another job ("technical ADVISER") whose continued existence is a reminder that Pinnick will replace Eguavoen (as "adviser" not "director") with a white European at earliest convenience.

Amunike holds the "chief coach" title that is usually powerless .... however, this is looking like an unusual situation, and Amunike will likely have a substantive role, more significant than holders of the position usually have. But he isn't the "chief coach" as the term is understood in simple English.

The final decisions will still be made by Eguavoen, the real "chief" .... but he will likely put head together with fellow ex-internationals Amunike, Yobo and Agu.

PPS: Sorry for making this a long post .... but it seems a lot of people on this forum don't understand the history of these titles in the Eagles. If it was up to me, the titles would long have been simplified, and most of the things they told us the "technical adviser" would do decades ago would have been done decades ago (by a Nigerian), as opposed to still being undone as of today.
So why did the NFF feel the need to bring in Amunike as the Chief Coach if Eguavoen (the real “Chief” as you just called him) performed so well at the recent AFCON?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Sigh. What a convoluted mess.

NFF felt Eguavoen needed help and they just stiffed Amunike in there. No clear description of roles.

Is Aigbogun still there? Is the American coach still there? What exactly are the roles of Salisu and Yobo? I did see Salisu dishing last minute instructions to Iwobi before he came on against Tunisia and Yobo’s voice was the most audible during Rohr’s friendly games with no fans. But that means nothing if there are no defined roles.

Anyway good luck to the new squad of coaches. Just beat Ghana please
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Orion wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:57 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:31 am Orion,

Wow, thanks for the update. So it's worse than I actually thought.

This lame duck thing is scary. I don't know of any coach that can commit fully knowing they're only there temporarily and someone else will come and benefit from all their hard work. This is not looking good.

It still doesn't negate my original point. There is a substantial bonus due to the coach that comes with the qualification itself. If you don't hire a coach with a proper contract, you don't get to pay that bonus.
Eguavoen is an employee of the NFF. His role is Technical Director. I expect that there is an employment contract stipulating roles, responsibilities, remuneration etc.

Currently the position of Technical Adviser is vacant. So NFF is asking Eguavoen to fill in that role. That does not require an employment contract. However, there may be some changes in remuneration (bonus and allowances). Eguavoen as Technical Adviser is on an interim basis (temporary) UNTIL NFF finds a suitable candidate that they can afford for the role. Once that happens, Eguavoen will revert back to his role solely as Technical Director.

Other coaches are assisting the Technical Adviser a role currently performed by Eguavoen.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:10 am

So ....

So why did the NFF feel the need to bring in Amunike as the Chief Coach if Eguavoen (the real “Chief” as you just called him) performed so well at the recent AFCON?
Probably because they feel he’s better than the chief coach he’s replacing (Salisu). When Salisu was brought back to ****s team as Chief coach was that an indication that **** was not performing so well?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...up is down, down is up, na so Nigeria dey dance until d-day fire brigade go set in, by end of next qualifier matches we may be gnashing our collective teeth again.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 am If Amuneke is denying any knowledge of this new arrangement to which he is key, does it mean the whole thing was fake news; or does it mean the announcement was not based on any discussions?
Amuneke says he wasn’t consulted AT ALL.
So for the NFF to come out with that announcement on ALL its official media outlets is completely bizarre, even by their standards.

Unless the Amuneke denial itself is fake news i.e. “I didn’t say I said I was not contacted”, :tic: this whole thing is a head scratcher.
...by their poor standard you mean?
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Lolly wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:10 am So why did the NFF feel the need to bring in Amunike as the Chief Coach if Eguavoen (the real “Chief” as you just called him) performed so well at the recent AFCON?
I thought maybe a more detailed explanation of the nonsensical titles would help ... but it seems not. And then Amuneke himself apparently denied he'd been contacted about any appointment, muddying the mud further.

Anyway, if indeed Amuneke has been hired (or will be hired), then he was (or will be) the vice-manager and while Eguavoen remains the manager. Forget their titles, which are ossified vestiges of stupid decisions made in the past by the NFA/NFF (as detailed in that long story I posted). Eguavoen is manager, Amuneke is vice-manager. Full stop. That is all you need to know.

As for why they hired him (or will hire him), far be it from me to guess what goes on in the cement block between Pinnick's ears .... but either they think Eguavoen needs the help, or Eguavoen himself requested the help .... or this is a demotion and replacement for Salisu, and nothing to do with Eguavoen. As I said at the end of that long post, I am not sure what Salisu does.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion,

Too many conspiracy theories for my liking.
Too many times have we been proven to be way off the mark.
But we are simply fans, so nuttin spoil. :rotf:
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

The Eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:21 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:10 am So why did the NFF feel the need to bring in Amunike as the Chief Coach if Eguavoen (the real “Chief” as you just called him) performed so well at the recent AFCON?
I thought maybe a more detailed explanation of the nonsensical titles would help ... but it seems not. And then Amuneke himself apparently denied he'd been contacted about any appointment, muddying the mud further.

Anyway, if indeed Amuneke has been hired (or will be hired), then he was (or will be) the vice-manager and while Eguavoen remains the manager. Forget their titles, which are ossified vestiges of stupid decisions made in the past by the NFA/NFF (as detailed in that long story I posted). Eguavoen is manager, Amuneke is vice-manager. Full stop. That is all you need to know.

As for why they hired him (or will hire him), far be it from me to guess what goes on in the cement block between Pinnick's ears .... but either they think Eguavoen needs the help, or Eguavoen himself requested the help .... or this is a demotion and replacement for Salisu, and nothing to do with Eguavoen. As I said at the end of that long post, I am not sure what Salisu does.
Thanks Eagle. It finally clicked - Eguavoen is boss and Amunike maybe the underboss. Everything else is simply story... :D
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Why on earth would NFF publicly announce an appointment without first speaking to the person and getting confirmation that the person will accept the job?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:41 pm Yobo is so pointless in this setup - 3rd assistant abi ball boy lol
Kai!! :rotf: :rotf: No let 1Naija catch you o!

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

olu wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:04 am Why on earth would NFF publicly announce an appointment without first speaking to the person and getting confirmation that the person will accept the job?
I taya sef.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

So no one can task the nff or pinnick directly and publicly for a clarification ?
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Siddonlook11 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:07 pm So no one can ask the nff or pinnick directly and publicly for a clarification ?
Thanks. This is how we roll, and expect great results.
Even market women no sabi this kine talk.
Four pages of back and forth on a thread that is clearly 'misinformation',
especially when Amuneke claims he was never contacted.

BTW, what's all these ranting about, again? :?: :wink: :roll: :( :( :(
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges