So Egu is talking about calling up HB players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
So Egu is talking about calling up HB players

Post by vancity eagle »

[https://www.completesports.com/eguavoen ... s-call-up/]

If this is true then God help us.

You had a camp of 27 players at the afcon. These players should make up at least 80% of the players to prosecute the qualifying matches.

On top of that you have the likes of Osimehn, Balogun, Etebo coming back plus the likes of Dennis, Lookman, Ejaria, Yusuf, Nwobodo who should be in the mix.

Where is the room for homebased ?

We never learn. We are not interested in succeeding.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Re: So Egu is talking about calling up HB players

Post by The Eagle »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:42 pm [https://www.completesports.com/eguavoen ... s-call-up/]

You had a camp of 27 players at the afcon. These players should make up at least 80% of the players to prosecute the qualifying matches.

On top of that you have the likes of Osimehn, Balogun, Etebo coming back plus the likes of Dennis, Lookman, Ejaria, Yusuf, Nwobodo who should be in the mix.

What Eguavoen said in the direct quotes attributed to him are (a) players in the domestic league are eligible for callups to Nigeria's national teams in a general sense, and (b) when the players see him and his assistants attending league matches it gives them hope that they are in consideration.

Nowhere does Eguavoen imply or indicate that he is going to call home-based players for the qualifiers. In fact nothing in this article gives any information about whom Eguavoen intends to invite for the qualifiers, whether home- or foreign-based.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Home based players are good too. They just are not exposed. Don't believe the big lie that there are no good players there.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:05 pm Home based players are good too. They just are not exposed. Don't believe the big lie that there are no good players there.
No-one has ever claimed there are no good players in Naija. Talent is one thing we are NOT in short supply of.
The problem is in the highlighted section of your post.
It is not in the national team - and certainly not in a crucial game like the WC qualifier vs Ghana - that they need to start getting their exposure. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The Eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:38 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:42 pm [https://www.completesports.com/eguavoen ... s-call-up/]

What Eguavoen said in the direct quotes attributed to him are (a) players in the domestic league are eligible for callups to Nigeria's national teams in a general sense, and (b) when the players see him and his assistants attending league matches it gives them hope that they are in consideration.

Nowhere does Eguavoen imply or indicate that he is going to call home-based players for the qualifiers. In fact nothing in this article gives any information about whom Eguavoen intends to invite for the qualifiers, whether home- or foreign-based.
Thanks for the translation.

You know for some of us, English is not our mother or father tongue. Please, pardon us.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

The coach will decide to call up whoever he sees fit. That is his job.
He decision will be judged if:

1. The called up player proves to be of poor quality
2. His team loses games due to his decision to call said players.

If the opposite of the above things happen then his decision will be justified.

Just STFU and let the coach coach.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Damunk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:10 pm
highbury wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:05 pm Home based players are good too. They just are not exposed. Don't believe the big lie that there are no good players there.
No-one has ever claimed there are no good players in Naija. Talent is one thing we are NOT in short supply of.
It is not in the national team - and certainly not in a crucial game like the WC qualifier vs Ghana - that they need to start getting their exposure. :idea:
Damunk: You are right. The Home-Based Players will start getting exposure during friendlies, not WC Qualifiers.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Igugu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:12 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:10 pm
Damunk: You are right. The Home-Based Players will start getting exposure during friendlies, not WC Qualifiers.
I disagree. They don't necessarily have to play. Friendlies are just friendlies. They need the test of a competitive game. Like I said, they don't have to play, nor start. They need it badly!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This is how it starts.

Eguavoen will never come out and say he'll invite unproven local players but he has certainly opened the door to calling local players based on perceived talent. Next step is to invite them to practice with SE for experience, then somehow , if we qualify there'll be 2-3 local players on the final squad.

It's the old bait n switch. Seen it all before.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:27 am This is how it starts.

Eguavoen will never come out and say he'll invite unproven local players but he has certainly opened the door to calling local players based on perceived talent. Next step is to invite them to practice with SE for experience, then somehow , if we qualify there'll be 2-3 local players on the final squad.

YUP

why I am not a fan of local coaches.

I hope to be proven wrong.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

So for what reason was that door shut in the first place?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Would he ignore the over 800 foreign based players spread across 95 countries? What is special about the local players?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:53 am

Would he ignore the over 800 foreign based players spread across 95 countries? What is special about the local players?
What is special about those 800 foreign based players spread across 95 countries?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Sunset wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:28 am So for what reason was that door shut in the first place?
Rohr shut the door to HB players.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

highbury wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:04 am I disagree. They don't necessarily have to play. Friendlies are just friendlies. They need the test of a competitive game. Like I said, they don't have to play, nor start. They need it badly!
Competition for places is a good thing..... Arguable, inadequate competition for places and players guaranteed starting place, led to the string of poor results, leading to Rohr sack.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:28 am

What is special about those 800 foreign based players spread across 95 countries?
There is nothing special about the 800 players but he should extend his scouting to all players and select the best. There is nothing to gain from him giving the local players preferential treatment. All we want is for our best players to be paraded on the pitch, no matter where they are playing their football.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:29 am
Sunset wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:28 am So for what reason was that door shut in the first place?
Rohr shut the door to HB players.
The same Rohr that has invited a number of home based players over the years and even featured one Iwuala a few months ago?

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:15 pm The same Rohr that has invited a number of home based players over the years and even featured one Iwuala a few months ago?
Invited, is different from playing.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:11 pm
There is nothing special about the 800 players but he should extend his scouting to all players and select the best. There is nothing to gain from him giving the local players preferential treatment. All we want is for our best players to be paraded on the pitch, no matter where they are playing their football.
Where did you read that home based player were giving preferential treatment?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:50 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:15 pm The same Rohr that has invited a number of home based players over the years and even featured one Iwuala a few months ago?
Invited, is different from playing.
Iwuala played for the SE recently.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:51 pm
Maybe you shouldn’t be removing sections of the chain that you responded to. Read the post I was responding to before you jumped in.

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:40 pm
Maybe you shouldn’t be removing sections of the chain that you responded to. Read the post I was responding to before you jumped in.

You responded with a statement of fact, to a speculation by someone still grieving over Rohr sacking.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:45 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:40 pm

You responded with a statement of fact, to a speculation by someone still grieving over Rohr sacking.
I asked the poster 2 questions. Read my post again.