INAPPROPRIATE ABUJA FANS CHANTS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: INAPPROPRIATE ABUJA FANS CHANTS

Post by Cellular »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:28 am Chanting Oyibo is ignorance and racist on international standards. We wouldn't accept Ukrainians chanting blackie in an international game. Oyibo is a term used to identify sin color only.
SMDH.

Is blackie a term of endearment?

Calling someone 'oyibo' in Naija is not in any shape or form a denigration of the person.

The chanting of Oyibo is for you guys who feel that those born overseas can't be accepted by Naijarians.

The common thread here is that Naijarians love and appreciate people who play good football... she is a baller.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

airwolex wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:46 am Jette and Kongi, una funny wella lmao
I tell ya.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:17 pm Smh..so oyinbo is now a racist term...we do have very unintelligent folks here...another pointless thread to argue about... many of una need to go and take some fresh air...hopefully covid go soon die and quench...so una fit get another hobby
Very unintelligent...

More like Sikini... Seeking for notice.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But Kongi never said he has not used the term, so whats your point?

I don't think the crowd meant it as racist chants,
but if she acts like she is superior, an understanding that comes with the term in Nigeria, all of you will call her racist. I see Kongi and uncle jette's point.

Don't bother searching if i have used it, because i have.
fabio wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:33 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:28 am Chanting Oyibo is ignorance and racist on international standards. We wouldn't accept Ukrainians chanting blackie in an international game. Oyibo is a term used to identify sin color only.

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA Wrote
7, oyibo wall stood firm. We conceded 4 goals in 3 games. 1 pk, 1 OG and 2 from from MF errors. They did very well
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290272&p=5299071&hi ... l#p5299071
He didn't get to play enough games with other CD while he had a good season last year, by the end of the season the oyibo wall was already established.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=292879&p=5374745&hi ... l#p5374745
I think the oyibo wall might get demolished soon.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=293028&p=5379266&hi ... l#p5379266
Kenneth has demolished the oyibo wall.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294464&p=5424000&hi ... l#p5424000
He had arguably the best season a Nigerian CD has had in long while but the I can see why ROHR would stick with his tried and tested oyibo wall.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295177&p=5444306&hi ... l#p5444306
Last edited by 1naija on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cultures evolve and norms change.

It was once the culture to kill twins.

I don't know that it is racist, but it is inappropriate. Just like it is inappropriate to refer to a mixed person as 'half caste'.

The equivalent contrasting term is 'blackie'...

Imagine that you were in a public space and the entire crowd was chanting 'blackie' at you. Would you consider it normal?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

It is uncultured at best to single out someone by their skin color, I don't care if your intention in doing so is benign. I'm shocked at some of the people defending this practice.

Eastern European fans have used this absurd defense when called out for their racist chants at Black players.

"But, but we were doing it out of affection, we like him! He is a good player for us!" "He is Black is he not?"

Imagine Mario Balotelli playing for Italy and Italian fans hailing him with "Negro" with smiling faces. The same ones here defending this bush practice by Nigerian fans would be baying for blood.

Wha choo looking at?!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

txj wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:36 pm Cultures evolve and norms change.

I don't know that it is racist, but it is inappropriate. Just like it is inappropriate to refer to a mixed person as 'half caste'.

The equivalent contrasting term is 'blackie'...

Imagine that you were in a public space and the entire crowd was chanting 'blackie' at you. Would you consider it normal?
We all remember how disgusting it felt when Donald Trump in one of his rallies spotted a black guy and points at him and utters “ there is my black person” and the whole crowd started cheering and yelling “our black person”, “our black person” on and on, who here thinks that was appropriate never mind that he was widely condemned in the press and the act characterized as racist which it was even though the poor line black guy was at the time pumping his fists like a mascot. We are essentially treating Ashley like a mascot because she happens to be another color and it’s not about wether we have used it or not it’s about be aware of what is and how to make things better
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaJyiZbg ... =copy_link
Last edited by jette1 on Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Describing an individual by use of skin color is quite inappropriate in 2022, especially when
we consider the adverse effect of racism these days. For those who argue that it is an act of
endearment, what would same chant reflect if she had scored a winning goal for the opposition?
Chanting oyibo in 2022 indicates lack of information currency and social psychology upgrade.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

more daft comments from all these old jobless market men .. smh .. The same Falcon lady was dancing and jubilating while being hailed by fans.. but trust losers and old men on CE crying like they are sassies.. another pathetic feel among progressive woke crowd...monkey see monkey do
Oyinbo is a Nigerian word used to refer to Caucasians. In Nigeria, it is generally used to refer to a person of European descent or people perceived to not be culturally African. The word is pronounced oyinbo in Yoruba language and oyibo in Igbo speaking areas. Both terms are valid in Pidgin English.
we have to many daft people on this forum... my goodness
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

joao wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:18 pm Describing an individual by use of skin color is quite inappropriate in 2022, especially when
we consider the adverse effect of racism these days. For those who argue that it is an act of
endearment, what would same chant reflect if she had scored a winning goal for the opposition?
Chanting oyibo in 2022 indicates lack of information currency and social psychology upgrade.
Kpom, What would the chant be if she should score an own goal?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

joao wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:18 pm Describing an individual by use of skin color is quite inappropriate in 2022, especially when
Is ‘Oyinbo’ a derogatory word with a negative connotation and history?
How is the word used and how has it been used historically?
Those are the key questions.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

txj wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:36 pm Cultures evolve and norms change.

I don't know that it is racist, but it is inappropriate. Just like it is inappropriate to refer to a mixed person as 'half caste'. The equivalent contrasting term is 'blackie'...

Killing twins was isolated to an area in Nigeria? To say, it was once a the culture to kill twins is generalisation.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

bret- hart wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:59 pm So oyinbo is racist now abi? Nigerians are becoming stupider by the day..
I am restraining myself from saying this....
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

fabio wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:33 pm

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA Wrote
7, oyibo wall stood firm. We conceded 4 goals in 3 games. 1 pk, 1 OG and 2 from from MF errors. They did very well
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290272&p=5299071&hi ... l#p5299071
He didn't get to play enough games with other CD while he had a good season last year, by the end of the season the oyibo wall was already established.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=292879&p=5374745&hi ... l#p5374745
I think the oyibo wall might get demolished soon.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=293028&p=5379266&hi ... l#p5379266
Kenneth has demolished the oyibo wall.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294464&p=5424000&hi ... l#p5424000
He had arguably the best season a Nigerian CD has had in long while but the I can see why ROHR would stick with his tried and tested oyibo wall.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295177&p=5444306&hi ... l#p5444306
:bump: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Whats the meaning of Oyibo? What's the meaning of Caucasian? What do you call a black person in UK? African Briton? Please can someone clarify these.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Additionally, what's the opposite of Caucasian?
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

The term Caucasian race typically refers to a race of humankind native to Europe, North Africa, and southwest Asia.

Here's a list of antonyms for Caucasian.

Adjective

Opposite of, or relating to, Caucasians or people of European descent with light-colored skin

black
African
brown
dark
ebony
swarthy
melanoid
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-o ... _race.html
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:00 pm Whats the meaning of Oyibo? What's the meaning of Caucasian? What do you call a black person in UK? African Briton? Please can someone clarify these.
Story. Singling out a person by skin color is boorish. Stop defending that nonsense.

Wha choo looking at?!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

-o-x-X-x-o- Deleted
Last edited by joao on Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

joao wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:39 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:43 pm
Is ‘Oyinbo’ a derogatory word with a negative connotation and history?
How is the word used and how has it been used historically?
Those are the key questions.
Again, what use is identifying a person by skin color in 2022, a public figure too?
While true that our people have used oyibo as a term of endearment, have you
noticed how that has impacted the perception of our people as to equating everything
good to oyibo while self-denigrating? That aside, with racism currently being
condemned worldwide, how can anyone argue that a skin color identification chant
makes sense?

― Chris Hedges
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:58 pm
imehjunior wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:01 pm Na wa o. This wokism is on steriods. It was used as a term of endearment. Make una chill small.
Exactly. ‘Oyibo’ does not have the same negative connotation as ‘Nigg@’
Rightly or wrongly, when we tease somebody with the word, it is nothing to do with racial hegemony.
Try teasing a black American with the N word never mind that you are black as well. As long as I have live, worked and even served in their military they would not even take that from me or from a white American but would take it from their fellow African American. Point is, it is never a good thing for a non in-group or an out-group to device a name for a group of persons they are not part of.
Last edited by jette1 on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:29 pm
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:00 pm Whats the meaning of Oyibo? What's the meaning of Caucasian? What do you call a black person in UK? African Briton? Please can someone clarify these.
Story. Singling out a person by skin color is boorish. Stop defending that nonsense.
You did not answer the question.