INAPPROPRIATE ABUJA FANS CHANTS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: INAPPROPRIATE ABUJA FANS CHANTS

Post by 1naija »

Yes, as a hard core Yoruba man, I can tell you Onyibo is a Yoruba word!
Oyinbo is a Yoruba-Nigerian word used to refer to the early Caucasians.[1][2][3] In the early 1470s when the first Portuguese berth in Eko, presently Lagos. Oyinbo is generally used to refer to a person of European descent, African people perceived to not be culturally Sub-Saharan Africans, or nowadays every other people of any race considered light-skinned. The word is generally understood by most Nigerians and many Africans.
The word is coined from the Yoruba translation of “peeled skin,” "lightened," or “skinless,” which, in Yoruba, translates to “yin” – to scratch “bo” – to off/peel; the "O" starting the word "Oyinbo" is a pronoun. Hence, "Oyinbo" literally translates to "the person with a peeled-off or lightened skin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyinbo

fabio wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:51 pm Is 'Oyinbo' even a Yoruba word, because tomorrow, we will be told 'ashawo' is a Yoruba word.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunkey, do you agree with this? Do you still think it's a term of endearment?
The word is coined from the Yoruba translation of “peeled skin,” "lightened," or “skinless,” which, in Yoruba, translates to “yin” – to scratch “bo” – to off/peel; the "O" starting the word "Oyinbo" is a pronoun. Hence, "Oyinbo" literally translates to "the person with a peeled-off or lightened skin
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:57 pm Yes, as a hard core Yoruba man, I can tell you Onyibo is a Yoruba word!
Oyinbo is a Yoruba-Nigerian word used to refer to the early Caucasians.[1][2][3] In the early 1470s when the first Portuguese berth in Eko, presently Lagos. Oyinbo is generally used to refer to a person of European descent, African people perceived to not be culturally Sub-Saharan Africans, or nowadays every other people of any race considered light-skinned. The word is generally understood by most Nigerians and many Africans.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Skin in Yoruba is Awo

Using the bolded logic.. it should be Awo-o-yin-bo... If one accepts the yin - bo
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm Damunkey, do you agree with this? Do you still think it's a term of endearment?
'Term of endearment' is not the way I would describe it, bro.
No more than I would describe 'slim' or 'busty' as a term of endearment.
Its just a description with no emotional baggage.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:29 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm Damunkey, do you agree with this? Do you still think it's a term of endearment?
No emotional? Why do you state so, Damunk? All speech communicates not just meaning but some emotion.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Again, the problem is not with the word, onyibo, itself or that she was described as one. It's how the word was used.

I am certain you would find the scenario I gave about your colleagues above offensive even though you don't mind being described as a black guy. It's how the term is used that's the issue.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

You can do some online research on the word Oyinbo. Think it will answer your question.
Also, 'Ashewo' not Ashawo, has Yoruba origins.
fabio wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:51 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:34 pm Being called 'Oyinbo' (Caucasian) and someone saying 'O un se bi oyinbo' (acting like a Caucasian or JJC) are two completely different things. Lets not try and sugar coat this.
The word Oyinbo does indeed have some racist undertones in the Yoruba language. It is similar to the word 'Bature' in Hausa language.
The challenge is it's been so engrained in the Yoruba culture that, unfortunately, it has become a colloquialism.
Not sure if the authorities can do anything about it.
Please provide evidence was the bolded assertation.

Is 'Oyinbo' even a Yoruba word, because tomorrow, we will be told 'ashawo' is a Yoruba word.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:08 pm
No emotional? Why do you state so, Damunk? All speech communicates not just meaning but some emotion.
Prof, if I describe you as 'slim' or 'busty' they are just statements of fact.
You might receive it on an emotional level, but there shouldn't be any emotional baggage using an accurate description of you unless you have a problem.

So if I describe you as 'slim' and you are battling with anorexia, then that's your problem and not mine for accurately describing you.
If I describe a woman as 'busty' and she has a problem with the size of her chest, then the issue isn't my use of the word, but how she receives it.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Otitokoro wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:55 pm You can do some online research on the word Oyinbo. Think it will answer your question.
Otitokoro wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:34 pm Being called 'Oyinbo' (Caucasian) and someone saying 'O un se bi oyinbo' (acting like a Caucasian or JJC) are two completely different things. Lets not try and sugar coat this.
The word Oyinbo does indeed have some racist undertones in the Yoruba language. It is similar to the word 'Bature' in Hausa language.
The challenge is it's been so engrained in the Yoruba culture that, unfortunately, it has become a colloquialism.

Is 'Oyinbo' even a Yoruba word, because tomorrow, we will be told 'ashawo' is a Yoruba word.
If Urban dictionary is your reference, no thanks!

Whether it's Ashewo or ashawo... it's not the Yoruba word for prostitute or prostitution.

I guess, Agege and Oshodi are also Yoruba words.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:25 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:55 pm You can do some online research on the word Oyinbo. Think it will answer your question.

If Urban dictionary is your reference, no thanks!

Whether it's Ashewo or ashawo... it's not the Yoruba word for prostitute or prostitution.

Fabio

I am not an expert on Yoruba but growing up I thought both words had Yoruba origins but are not widely used by everyone. For instance, Igbos previously called a white person Baike (Beke). The word originated from the name of the first European that came to the Igbo area who was Mr. Baike.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

What I was told anecdotally back in the day was that the name 'aṣe̩wo' for prostitute and 'Ọkọ aṣe̩wo' for taxi driver came from the practise of taxi drivers regularly fraternising with prostitutes who always had coins from their 'runs' which the taxi drivers frequently needed to give as change for their customers.

So 'aṣe̩wo' means 'changer of money' i.e. a ṣe̩ owo , whilst 'Ọkọ aṣe̩wo' simply means the 'husband' of the money changer(s).

Probably fabu but that's what an Ojuelegba taxi driver told me when I was in university.
'Ashawo' is probably the adoption of the term by other ethnic groups.

And no, I wasn't going to look for a prostitute that day. :boo:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:23 pm
fabio wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:25 pm If Urban dictionary is your reference, no thanks!

Fabio

I am not an expert on Yoruba but growing up I thought both words had Yoruba origins but are not widely used by everyone. For instance, Igbos previously called a white person Baike (Beke). The word originated from the name of the first European that came to the Igbo area who was Mr. Baike.
Prof,
Oshodi is Nupe. The name comes from Oshodi Tapa (Some sources claim Oshodi was born into a Nupe Royal family, other claim it He was Nupe Slave). Either way, Oshodi became successful in Lagos.

Agege is Urhobo. The area Agege in Lagos as one 'traditional ruler' said, was called Agegi (cutting trees in Yoruba). When people came from Northern Nigeria to work in Agegi, they could not pronounce Agegi, they started calling the place Agege.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:50 pm
fabio wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:25 pm If Urban dictionary is your reference, no thanks!

Fabio

Prof,
Oshodi is Nupe. The name comes from Oshodi Tapa (Some sources claim Oshodi was born into a Nupe Royal family, other claim it He was Nupe Slave). Either way, Oshodi became successful in Lagos.

Agege is Urhobo. The area Agege in Lagos as one 'traditional ruler' said, was called Agegi (cutting trees in Yoruba). When people came from Northern Nigeria to work in Agegi, they could not pronounce Agegi, they started calling the place Agege.
I am not surprised at all. As(h)oebi is now wide used in Igboland and in years to come people may no longer remember the origins like the examples you have listed. This is how language evolves.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:57 pm Yes, as a hard core Yoruba man, I can tell you Onyibo is a Yoruba word!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Skin in Yoruba is Awo

Using the bolded logic.. it should be Awo-o-yin-bo... If one accepts the yin - bo
It could be a word contraction, just like the word 'aṣe̩wo' ('a ṣe̩ owo')
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:02 pm
You might receive it on an emotional level, but there shouldn't be any emotional baggage using an accurate description of you unless you have a problem.

So if I describe you as 'slim' and you are battling with anorexia, then that's your problem and not mine for accurately describing you.
If I describe a woman as 'busty' and she has a problem with the size of her chest, then the issue isn't my use of the word, but how she receives it.
I see you have cleverly moved away from skin color attributes to defend your argument when skin color attributes usually arouse the most emotion. Let's keep it to the color issue abeg. Busty ko lusty ni :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Fabio

Prof,

Fascinating!
Thanks for this Fab! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:02 pm

I see you have cleverly moved away from skin color attributes to defend your argument when skin color attributes usually arouse the most emotion. Let's keep it to the color issue abeg. Busty ko lusty ni :mrgreen:
You misunderstand me.
I was just telling Prof that there are countless adjectives and nouns that have no emotional backdrop to them. This was in specific response to his statement.
The assumption here is that simply because 'oyibo' refers to the skin colour of a white person (or started off exclusively so), it doesn't necessarily mean there is an emotional element attached to the word.

Sometimes political correctness just becomes silly.
It's now wrong to say 'Christmas' in some circles for fear of offending someone somewhere. :roll:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:49 pm What I was told anecdotally back in the day was that the name 'aṣewo' for prostitute and 'Ọkọ aṣewo' for taxi driver came from the practise of taxi drivers fraternising with prostitutes who always had change (coins) which the taxi drivers always needed.
So 'aṣewo' means 'changer of money' i.e. a ṣe owo' , whilst 'Ọkọ aṣewo' simply means the husband of the money changer(s).

Probably fabu but that's what an Ojuelegba taxi driver told me when I was in university.
Uncle Damunk, Prostitutions in Yoruba is called Agbere (Adultery) or Pansage (Fornication).

7.45 to 8.00 Notice she never said 'asewo'. She said... A se agbere lo no ga (She will commit adultery on the way to the market)

Start from 1:34:00 description of Harlot.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Okay I see where this is going. Next , it will be Makoko is Abia and Mushin is Zamfara...

Fabio

Prof,

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:11 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:02 pm

You misunderstand me.
I was just telling Prof that there are countless adjectives and nouns that have no emotional backdrop to them. This was in specific response to his statement.
The assumption here is that simply because 'oyibo' refers to the skin colour of a white person (or started off exclusively so), it doesn't necessarily mean there is an emotional element attached to the word.

Sometimes political correctness just becomes silly.
It's now wrong to say 'Christmas' in some circles for fear of offending someone somewhere. :roll:
Damunk you know better; historically there’s almost never exclusivity in language, (greek rings a bell) especially in encounters between natives and explorers or invaders. Such encounters were riddled with power differentials and drama and grandiosity and tales etc it’s guaranteed and more likely that terms like onymbo is more of a characterization than it would be a denotation. Black instead brown was the term used by white man at his first encounter with the African. Pls take a Look at your skin and tell me if it is black. His use of black rather than brown was very deliberate and was not out of a mere classification.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

jette1 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:48 am https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaJUawHIWa ... =copy_link

Ashleigh was easily the best player vs CIV but the Oyinbo chant get as e be
This chant coming from the land of Sir Lugard is not very strange! How did she get Naija citizenship?
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
With little else to celebrate, Naija hops on Ashley Plumtree bandwagon

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

You should have heard the fans chant Oyibo, Oyibo,Oyibo in Abuja! Y'all are embarrassing the rest of the continent. Stop it now or else .. :taunt:
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: With little else to celebrate, Naija hops on Ashley Plumtree bandwagon

Post by fabio »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 pm You should have heard the fans chant Oyibo, Oyibo,Oyibo in Abuja! Y'all are embarrassing the rest of the continent. Stop it now or else .. :taunt:
What is Mzungu?