Why is Akpoguma frozen out of SE?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why is Akpoguma frozen out of SE?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The radio silence on the omission of Akpoguma from the squad to play Ghana is deafening. He plays at a higher level that all our CDs expect maybe Troost. He's the only CD we have that plays every week.

Why has he been frozen out?

Ajayi,Awaziem, Balogun and Omeruo are all playing at a lower rated league and don't even play as much as Kevin. So why is he not on the list?

If Egu and Picnic can travel to London to beg Dennis after giving us the cold shoulder during Afcon, why have they not reached out to Kevin? Onazi gets a call,lookman get a call and Vic Mo gets a call from Eguavoen.

What has the most consistent defender we have in a top lesgue done wrong?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why is Akpoguma frozen out of SE?

Post by Sunset »

Check how many games he's played at CB this season, his club would rather have him as a wing back than even in a back 3 which is pretty worrying.
But according to OG he rejected the call-up to replace Balogun which was why we settled for Ajayi at the AFCON
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:10 am Check how many games he's played at CB this season, his club would rather have him as a wing back than even in a back 3 which is pretty worrying.
But according to OG he rejected the call-up to replace Balogun which was why we settled for Ajayi at the AFCON
Weren't there rumors that he was allegedly one of the folks who didn't want to continue after **** was let go?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:30 am
Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:10 am Check how many games he's played at CB this season, his club would rather have him as a wing back than even in a back 3 which is pretty worrying.
Weren't there rumors that he was allegedly one of the folks who didn't want to continue after **** was let go?
I didn't pay much attention to them and in the OG report they said his main issue was from being listed as a standby.
https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2022/03/ ... ria-again/

I don't know who to believe but time will tell, Personally I'm more surprised that Awaziem is in the standby list, he's IMO our best Defender in terms of current quality and potential growth.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Even as a RWB he walks straight into SE. Aina and shehu, the 2 RBs on the list are either not playing or playing for a rubbish team. How on earth is Ajayi,Shehu, and Balogun rated higher than Akpoguma?

Cmon folks, this is not right. Somebody working for NFF called Onazi even though he plays Saudi Div 2 but they can't find a way to come to terms with Akpoguma.

Yeye dey smell.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset

My view is that the Super Eagles is not Hoffenheim. There are better players at the SE than at his club. Nevertheless, one has to believe he was invited based on his club form but all that does is guarantee that he competes with other invitees but it dies not and should not shoo him into a starting position. He must compete for it. It is not as if he was not given a chance at SE.

Importantly, he was called up and he refused to show up. There should not be coddling for anyone who sulks Akpoguma has not earned the right to sulk and certainly not with Nigeria.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:59 am
Sunset

My view is that the Super Eagles is not Hoffenheim. There are better players at the SE than at his club. Nevertheless, one has to believe he was invited based on his club form but all that does is guarantee that he competes with other invitees but it dies not and should not shoo him into a starting position. He must compete for it. It is not as if he was not given a chance at SE.

Importantly, he was called up and he refused to show up. There should not be coddling for anyone who sulks Akpoguma has not earned the right to sulk and certainly not with Nigeria.

Cmon. You don start with K leg analysis again. Akpoguma was unceremoniously dropped from the Afcon squad for Ndah and Ajayi even before camp.opened though he was on the 40 man list submitted prior to final selection.

What was the justification for dropping him in the first place? Who determined that Ndah and Ajayi were better options?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:58 am
Even as a RWB he walks straight into SE. Aina and shehu, the 2 RBs on the list are either not playing or playing for a rubbish team. How on earth is Ajayi,Shehu, and Balogun rated higher than Akpoguma?

Cmon folks, this is not right. Somebody working for NFF called Onazi even though he plays Saudi Div 2 but they can't find a way to come to terms with Akpoguma.

Yeye dey smell.

Maybe you should take your own advice :oops:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 am Egu has a point on Musa. It's SE tradition to have an aging captain lead the team to his last big tournament and I support it. Where single Nigerian captain has gotten the same privilege, including Mikel.

If you don't like it you're free to switch your support to another team.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:21 am

Yeye dey smell.

Maybe you should take your own advice :oops:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 am Egu has a point on Musa. It's SE tradition to have an aging captain lead the team to his last big tournament and I support it. Where single Nigerian captain has gotten the same privilege, including Mikel.

If you don't like it you're free to switch your support to another team.

What does Musa's situation have to do with Akpoguma? Musa is taking a spot thats historically been reserved for outgoing captains, he's the highest Nigerian goal scorer at the world cup ever and put in over a decade with SE.

Akpoguma issue is based on merit only. Perhaps you should justify the omission instead of dancing around it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:06 am
Sunset

Cmon. You don start with K leg analysis again. Akpoguma was unceremoniously dropped from the Afcon squad for Ndah and Ajayi even before camp.opened though he was on the 40 man list submitted prior to final selection.

What was the justification for dropping him in the first place? Who determined that Ndah and Ajayi were better options?
Emir,

We went through this.

First, Akpoguma was on the list drawn up by Gernot Rohr for the AFCON.

Second, Rohr was removed. The incoming Manager (Egu) supposedly amended the list. That list should be expected to differ somewhat from one drawn up by Rohr. If Akpoguma was replaced by Egu then there is no problem with that. It is Egu's prerogative to make that decision as manager. My only misgiving is if that decision to remove a player (Akpoguma or whoever else) was made by a person that is not Egu.

Third, if Egu then decided to recall Akpoguma because of injuries that occurred to the likes of Shehu. That is the right of Egu as Manager to do so.

If Akpoguma then decides not to honor the replacement callup as that is HIS PROBLEM. It is not as if he is a Nigerian starter. Well, another guy (Semi Ajayi) took the chance and did well and is justifiably in the WCQ squad to play against Ghana (I believe). No biggie.....

The above is my take.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:30 am
Sunset

Emir,

We went through this.

Second, Rohr was removed. The incoming Manager (Egu) supposedly amended the list. That list should be expected to differ somewhat from one drawn up by Rohr. If Akpoguma was replaced by Egu then there is no problem with that. It is Egu's prerogative to make that decision as manager. My only misgiving is if that decision to remove a player (Akpoguma or whoever else) was made by a person that is not Egu.

Third, if Egu then decided to recall Akpoguma because of injuries that occurred to the likes of Shehu. That is the right of Egu as Manager to do so.

If Akpoguma then decides not to honor the replacement callup as that is HIS PROBLEM. It is not as if he is a Nigerian starter. Well, another guy (Semi Ajayi) took the chance and did well and is justifiably in the WCQ squad to play against Ghana (I believe). No biggie.....

The above is my take.

But football is not a democracy.

There're standards used to determine the quality of a player ,his potential value to the team and general abilities.

A defender playing regularly for a good top 5 league was dumped for AJAYI, a defender at a div 2 team who wasn't playing regularly at the time the decision was made. To make matters worse, Ndah, an unproven CD was given the nod over a top defender in a top league.
I don't think we've ever had a defender playing regularly for a top 10 Budesliga team that couldn't get an invitation to SE.

Of course the coach has final stay but what standard is he using to pick the team? The Onazi and Akpoguma issues suggest there's not a verifiable quality or performance standard used in player selection.

Yeye dey smell.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:44 am
Sunset

Emir,

We went through this.

The above is my take.

But football is not a democracy.

There're standards used to determine the quality of a player ,his potential value to the team and general abilities.

A defender playing regularly for a good top 5 league was dumped for AJAYI, a defender at a div 2 team who wasn't playing regularly at the time the decision was made. To make matters worse, Ndah, an unproven CD was given the nod over a top defender in a top league.
I don't think we've ever had a defender playing regularly for a top 10 Budesliga team that couldn't get an invitation to SE.

Of course the coach has final stay but what standard is he using to pick the team? The Onazi and Akpoguma issues suggest there's not a verifiable quality or performance standard used in player selection.

Yeye dey smell.

Emir,

What do you think earned him an invitation in the first place? Let me answer -- Because he was playing at Hoffenheim!!!! If he was playing at Dakkada FC do you think he would be called up? No sir!

However, while the fact that playing at Hoffenheim earned him a call up is okay.... HE MUST prove himself against other top talents in SE camp. Yet, he was quickly put into a game (fortunately, and if I recall correctly, he was put into a game by Rohr.... afterall he was playing at a German club :blink: ). Right!!! What happened? He underwhelmed. He was given four... I repeat, Four.... opportunities. He did not show that he was better than others.... he just did not. In my view (granted I am not the coach), I will not play him ahead of Awaziem, ahead of Balogun, ahead of Ekong.... ahead of Ajayi, Who else? He better be happy that he was given another chance. The clock is ticking.... tick, tock, tick.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

My own is that tongues must wag and explanations MUST be offered if we fail to secure the world cup ticket, and it will all start with why and how TF Onazi was called up to a crucial WC playoff ahead of currently better players? like why not just wait till we qualify so you can experiment all your corrupt call-ups in friendly matches at least? what's the whole logic behind all this bizarre decisions? who is masterminding all this filth and corruption in our football structure?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 am Yet, he was quickly put into a game (fortunately, and if I recall correctly, he was put into a game by Rohr.... afterall he was playing at a German club :blink: ). Right!!! What happened? He underwhelmed. He was given four... I repeat, Four.... opportunities. He did not show that he was better than others.... he just did not. In my view (granted I am not the coach), I will not play him ahead of Awaziem, ahead of Balogun, ahead of Ekong.... ahead of Ajayi, Who else? He better be happy that he was given another chance. The clock is ticking.... tick, tock, tick.
Did he play any of those games at centre-back? Did he start any of those games? Genuine questions, I don't know the answers off the top of my head.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

He is no more frozen out than Simi Nwankwo, Dessers, Dele Alampasu, and other similar players were frozen out. We just have better players at their positions.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:58 am The radio silence on the omission of Akpoguma from the squad to play Ghana is deafening. He plays at a higher level that all our CDs expect maybe Troost. He's the only CD we have that plays every week.

Why has he been frozen out?

Ajayi,Awaziem, Balogun and Omeruo are all playing at a lower rated league and don't even play as much as Kevin. So why is he not on the list?

If Egu and Picnic can travel to London to beg Dennis after giving us the cold shoulder during Afcon, why have they not reached out to Kevin? Onazi gets a call,lookman get a call and Vic Mo gets a call from Eguavoen.

What has the most consistent defender we have in a top lesgue done wrong?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Sunset

Emir,

We went through this.

The above is my take.
So this is based on a fake report from own goal?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

The YeyeMan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:43 am
Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 am Yet, he was quickly put into a game (fortunately, and if I recall correctly, he was put into a game by Rohr.... afterall he was playing at a German club :blink: ). Right!!! What happened? He underwhelmed. He was given four... I repeat, Four.... opportunities. He did not show that he was better than others.... he just did not. In my view (granted I am not the coach), I will not play him ahead of Awaziem, ahead of Balogun, ahead of Ekong.... ahead of Ajayi, Who else? He better be happy that he was given another chance. The clock is ticking.... tick, tock, tick.
Did he play any of those games at centre-back? Did he start any of those games? Genuine questions, I don't know the answers off the top of my head.
He played at centre-back in at least 2 of those games. And RB in another one. But he was really average in the ones where he played at CB and poor when he played at RB. Notice that Rohr didn’t even really trust him enough to play him ahead of the others in crucial games.

My guess is the guy is not motivated enough to play for Nigeria. He was really just going through the motions in those games.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Why are we bothering ourselves over this guy? if he doesn't want to play then let him be abeg, Ozonwafor is a better player than him and has been impressive for his club so far.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The one I truly don’t understand is Kelechi Nwakali. He was tested at the AFCON and he passed effortlessly. I would have thought he’d be a sure bet to make the list❗️

Cheers.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof., if this is supposed to be you're rationale for Eguavoen dropping him, then I am shocked that you would go down this route. :shock: :shock:

How does any intelligent coach drop a guy consistently playing at the highest and most competitive league ANY of our defenders and has been reassuring whenever he played competitively? You drop him and bring in some no-name, hey-you person who plays in South Africa in his stead? We all are aware of how quickly that hey-you person has been discarded (another failed project).
We also saw how our defense was our Achilles heel at the AFCON, yet you drop an Akpoguma? How incredibly dumb.

Akpoguma has every right to be pissed. He is a competitor who has played by the rules all his life - hard work and consistent performances will earn you recognition. How could not fathom a coach would be so corrupt to yank him off the list (for no tangible reason) for some random, no-name guy, who he is so much better than (by ANY measurable metric). You then further embarrassment the guy, by telling him to join the team to replace an injured player - this is after he had committed to helping his club fight for a champions league spot during the winter break, because of his non-selection for AFCON?

Of course, he would say no to Eguavoen's extremely daft request.

Also, Semi Ajayi was a bench warmer at WestBrom, so it made sense he would jump at the opportunity. If he wasn't, I am pretty sure he would have said no to Eguavoen, just like Emmanuel Dennis did.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:30 am Emir,

We went through this.

The above is my take.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Yeye dey smell.
Really surprised Ola Aina has lost his spot at Torino. He was one of their bonafide starters before the Afcon and has developed into quite the player in the last 3 years
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:08 pm The one I truly don’t understand is Kelechi Nwakali. He was tested at the AFCON and he passed effortlessly. I would have thought he’d be a sure bet to make the list❗️

Cheers.
:agree: That's by far the most surprising thing about this list, as well as Awaziem only making the standby list.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:43 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:08 pm The one I truly don’t understand is Kelechi Nwakali. He was tested at the AFCON and he passed effortlessly. I would have thought he’d be a sure bet to make the list❗️

Cheers.
:agree: That's by far the most surprising thing about this list, as well as Awaziem only making the standby list.
Kelechi has barely trained since AFCON. He has a very difficult club situation now.