Why is Akpoguma frozen out of SE?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why is Akpoguma frozen out of SE?

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:41 am Lol one day you guys will learn that in life, there is no such thing as “equality”
Or treating everyone the same. That’s not bla life works and that’s not how you get the best result from people. You look at the person and see what’s most important to their motivation and give them that. That’s why they say you can’t treat all your children the same way! Hey! You can’t even treat all women you have dated, including your wife the same. That’s why they have that “5 love languages” thing. t
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:18 am
Dammy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:07 pm Akpoguma has been disrespected by Eguavoen's coaching crew and I wonder why we spent money and effort to get a top quality central defender only to abandon him. This is not going to help with other dual nationality players in the future.
Eguavoen and his crew were in the UK to speak to players including Emmanuel Dennis who turned down the AFCON invitation yet could not hop on a plane to Germany to speak to Akpoguma.
The NFF needs to find a way of mending fences between both parties.
Wow, man! I bet you are not serious with this. :???: Are you asking that Akpoguma should be treated differently compared to other SE invitees? NO sir!!! Akpoguma should be and he has been treated like any other invitee. He cannot be treated as if he is different or some Prima Donna. He isn't. He is just one of the lads. He gets to play if he does well and gets to sit if he doesn't. That is the bottom line and that is the way it should be.

On Emmanuel Dennis, I will agree with you if Egu really treats him differently because Dennis should not be treated differently. However, from my reading of the Dennis case, it seems Pinnick is responsible for lording Dennis on the crew and that is just a bad move.
You dey mind am! Any BS to support his position. We went out of our way to lobby for Akpoguma to play for us and then when he's giving interviews about playing his first AFCON, the rug is pulled from under his feet with no explanation, only for us to turn to him when we had an injury and he did what any self respecting person will do, he turned down the invitation.
So to think that we don't need to meet up with this player and sort out issues is asinine to say the least!
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:11 pm :shock:
txj wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:26 pm Top game by Akpoguma today vs Bayern
1-1
I watched it and he was good. I only wish he is half as good in a Nigerian shirt. For the old foggies, he reminds me of Richard Owubokiri. LOL.
Owubokiri the striker?
How so?
:shock:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:22 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:11 pm :shock:
txj wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:26 pm Top game by Akpoguma today vs Bayern
1-1
I watched it and he was good. I only wish he is half as good in a Nigerian shirt. For the old foggies, he reminds me of Richard Owubokiri. LOL.
Owubokiri the striker?
How so?
:shock:
Damunk

You are definitely not an old foggy. You get 10% just because you are a major contributor for CE, if not na zero you for get for dat kin kweshion.

Well Owubokiri was playing for big name clubs in Portugal and Brazil but found himself h ugging the bench repeatedly behind guys playing for lesser known teams. That was the comparison that I was drawing to show that your club should matter diddly. What matters is what you do when you arrive and compete against other invitees.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:13 am
danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:41 am Lol one day you guys will learn that in life, there is no such thing as “equality”
Or treating everyone the same. That’s not bla life works and that’s not how you get the best result from people. You look at the person and see what’s most important to their motivation and give them that. That’s why they say you can’t treat all your children the same way! Hey! You can’t even treat all women you have dated, including your wife the same. That’s why they have that “5 love languages” thing. t
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:18 am
Dammy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:07 pm Akpoguma has been disrespected by Eguavoen's coaching crew and I wonder why we spent money and effort to get a top quality central defender only to abandon him. This is not going to help with other dual nationality players in the future.
Eguavoen and his crew were in the UK to speak to players including Emmanuel Dennis who turned down the AFCON invitation yet could not hop on a plane to Germany to speak to Akpoguma.
The NFF needs to find a way of mending fences between both parties.
Wow, man! I bet you are not serious with this. :???: Are you asking that Akpoguma should be treated differently compared to other SE invitees? NO sir!!! Akpoguma should be and he has been treated like any other invitee. He cannot be treated as if he is different or some Prima Donna. He isn't. He is just one of the lads. He gets to play if he does well and gets to sit if he doesn't. That is the bottom line and that is the way it should be.

On Emmanuel Dennis, I will agree with you if Egu really treats him differently because Dennis should not be treated differently. However, from my reading of the Dennis case, it seems Pinnick is responsible for lording Dennis on the crew and that is just a bad move.
You dey mind am! Any BS to support his position. We went out of our way to lobby for Akpoguma to play for us and then when he's giving interviews about playing his first AFCON, the rug is pulled from under his feet with no explanation, only for us to turn to him when we had an injury and he did what any self respecting person will do, he turned down the invitation.
So to think that we don't need to meet up with this player and sort out issues is asinine to say the least!
That's pretty rich for someone who only decided to play for us after it was clear for 3 years he wasn't rated by his first choice country and you even try to justify his apparent rejection to replace Balogun as if its a noble thing to do smh... IMO if that is what he actually did, he should have no future in the national team as he would never do such a thing for Germany under any circumstances no matter how you spin it. Aina for example was treated far worse not too long ago missing the World cup for the likes of a semi-retired Echiejille, Idowu, and Ebuehi but you don't see him sulking like this.

Even Rohr that you said went out of his way to convince him to play for us after a couple starts would send him to the bench for our best Defender in Awaziem who was clearly the better performer anyway.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I think Owubokiri's issue was that he had to start if he was invited and not ready to warm the bench. He won the silver boot in Europe in 1993 with over 30 goals for Boavista, while his main rival in the SE, Rashidi Yekini's goals fired Vittoria Setubal to the Portuguese first division from the second division.
Owubokiri's main problem was his ego and I watched him at close quarters in Ibadan in 1989 when the SE were preparing for a WCQ against Cameroon. He was playing for Benfica then and alongside Keshi, were the players in the highest profile clubs. I noticed that Keshi had a lot of respect for him. His ego finally got him out of the team when the NFA refused to sanction his Portuguese wife travelling with him to the WCQ in Libreville, Gabon. He walked out on the team.
Westerhoff bowed to pressure and invited him in 1992 for the 1st leg of the WCQs against South Africa in Lagos. He scored in what was his final match for Nigeria in a 4-0 victory. Westerhoff felt the chemistry between him and Yekini was not good enough.
I believe if he was agreeable to being a squad member, he could've made both the 1994 AFCON and WC squads, as IMO, he was better than Efan Ekoku, whose style of play didn't fit into the SE.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:28 pm I think Owubokiri's issue was that he had to start if he was invited and not ready to warm the bench. He won the silver boot in Europe in 1993 with over 30 goals for Boavista, while his main rival in the SE, Rashidi Yekini's goals fired Vittoria Setubal to the Portuguese first division from the second division.
Owubokiri's main problem was his ego and I watched him at close quarters in Ibadan in 1989 when the SE were preparing for a WCQ against Cameroon. He was playing for Benfica then and alongside Keshi, were the players in the highest profile clubs. I noticed that Keshi had a lot of respect for him. His ego finally got him out of the team when the NFA refused to sanction his Portuguese wife travelling with him to the WCQ in Libreville, Gabon. He walked out on the team.
Westerhoff bowed to pressure and invited him in 1992 for the 1st leg of the WCQs against South Africa in Lagos. He scored in what was his final match for Nigeria in a 4-0 victory. Westerhoff felt the chemistry between him and Yekini was not good enough.
I believe if he was agreeable to being a squad member, he could've made both the 1994 AFCON and WC squads, as IMO, he was better than Efan Ekoku, whose style of play didn't fit into the SE.
Well, well, hope at this point Akpoguma's ego will allow him to understand that at this point he is just a squad member.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:41 pm
Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:28 pm I think Owubokiri's issue was that he had to start if he was invited and not ready to warm the bench. He won the silver boot in Europe in 1993 with over 30 goals for Boavista, while his main rival in the SE, Rashidi Yekini's goals fired Vittoria Setubal to the Portuguese first division from the second division.
Well, well, hope at this point Akpoguma's ego will allow him to understand that at this point he is just a squad member.
Akpoguma has never had issues with being a squad member and you know that! So stop trying to be clever by half!
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:56 pm
Akpoguma has never had issues with being a squad member and you know that! So stop trying to be clever by half!
Again, so why compare him to the guy you compared ghim to? :???: :???: Thanks for pointing that out. It should now be clear to you that the point you made does not suffice given that Akpoguma's position is not relaterd to the Aribo case. Glad that you are coming around to answering your own question. Why has it taken this long? :???: Now, you realize that Akpoguma's case is more akin to Owubolkiri's. I hope you are still on the same page as per comparisons.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:08 pm
Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:56 pm
Again, so why compare him to the guy you compared ghim to? :???: :???: Thanks for pointing that out. It should now be clear to you that the point you made does not suffice given that Akpoguma's position is not relaterd to the Aribo case. Glad that you are coming around to answering your own question. Why has it taken this long? :???: Now, you realize that Akpoguma's case is more akin to Owubolkiri's. I hope you are still on the same page as per comparisons.
Teacher don't teach me nonsense!
I am happy
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Eguavoen reveals why Akpoguma did not get called up for games against Ghana

Akpoguma is one of the regulars for Hoffenheim, but he has not been able to cement a shirt in the Super Eagles

Super Eagles interim boss Augustine Eguavoen has revealed that he did not call up Hoffenheim star Kevin Akpoguma for the World Cup qualifier against Ghana because he is not better than Kenneth Omeruo, William Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun.

The 26-year-old is one of the most established Super Eagles defenders in Europe. He has been decent for Hoffenheim this season, scoring two goals and supplying three assists in 20 appearances.

However, despite his performances in his club, the Fortuna Dusseldorf man has repeatedly been snubbed- Akpoguma was omitted from the Super Eagles for the Nations Cup in Cameroon.

Also, the Nigerian fullback did not make the cut for the squad that would do battle against Ghana in the crucial doubleheader.

Eguavoen believes Akpoguma is a good player, but the Hoffenheim star is not as good as the others jostling for that position.

“I’m a very reserved person, because our people, not just Nigeria alone, the entire world. People twist words. Yes, Akpoguma was out of the list that went to the Africa Cup of Nations,” Eguavoen told Elegbete TV.

“But slightly after the list was released, we still had opportunities to bring in one or two, and then Balogun was hurt- he couldn’t go because of his injury, and then we sent for Akpoguma to come. He didn’t, his club said no.

“I want people to know that if you miss a call-up, that does not mean that you can not be recalled. I think I’ve not worked with Akpoguma, but I have seen him closely. He is a very good player, no doubt, but for me, he couldn’t replace Balogun, Troost-Ekong, or Omeruo,” he added.

Nigeria face Ghana on the 25th of March before returning home four days later to play the Black Stars.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/03/eguavoen-r ... ghana.html
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

iworo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:29 pm Eguavoen reveals why Akpoguma did not get called up for games against Ghana

Akpoguma is one of the regulars for Hoffenheim, but he has not been able to cement a shirt in the Super Eagles

Super Eagles interim boss Augustine Eguavoen has revealed that he did not call up Hoffenheim star Kevin Akpoguma for the World Cup qualifier against Ghana because he is not better than Kenneth Omeruo, William Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun.

The 26-year-old is one of the most established Super Eagles defenders in Europe. He has been decent for Hoffenheim this season, scoring two goals and supplying three assists in 20 appearances.

However, despite his performances in his club, the Fortuna Dusseldorf man has repeatedly been snubbed- Akpoguma was omitted from the Super Eagles for the Nations Cup in Cameroon.

Also, the Nigerian fullback did not make the cut for the squad that would do battle against Ghana in the crucial doubleheader.

Eguavoen believes Akpoguma is a good player, but the Hoffenheim star is not as good as the others jostling for that position.

“I’m a very reserved person, because our people, not just Nigeria alone, the entire world. People twist words. Yes, Akpoguma was out of the list that went to the Africa Cup of Nations,” Eguavoen told Elegbete TV.

“But slightly after the list was released, we still had opportunities to bring in one or two, and then Balogun was hurt- he couldn’t go because of his injury, and then we sent for Akpoguma to come. He didn’t, his club said no.

“I want people to know that if you miss a call-up, that does not mean that you can not be recalled. I think I’ve not worked with Akpoguma, but I have seen him closely. He is a very good player, no doubt, but for me, he couldn’t replace Balogun, Troost-Ekong, or Omeruo,” he added.

Nigeria face Ghana on the 25th of March before returning home four days later to play the Black Stars.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/03/eguavoen-r ... ghana.html
To think that his name was reportedly included in the original list submitted by Rohr, removed by mischievous elements for players in Turkey, South Africa and Cyprus only to be invited when Balogun was injured is pure insult. Only a player without self worth or respect will accept such despicable behavior from anybody. In the first place, there is no justifiable reason to not invite him in the first place since he was and remains the highest ranking defender in Nigeria at the moment (Yes, he plays in Bundesliga. No Nigerian currently plays at such high level as a defender). He just can not, like any disciplined person, accept any behavior, simply because he wants to play for Nigeria. Nigerians are generally bad (not saying everybody) and they usually don't know how bad they are due to arrogance and ignorance. We don't ask questions in Nigeria and we don't receive any explanations otherwise somebody should be explaining why a player we labored so hard to get was treated in this shabby manner.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

iworo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:29 pm “I want people to know that if you miss a call-up, that does not mean that you can not be recalled. I think I’ve not worked with Akpoguma, but I have seen him closely. He is a very good player, no doubt, but for me, he couldn’t replace Balogun, Troost-Ekong, or Omeruo,” he added.
Semi Ajayi nko?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:38 pm
iworo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:29 pm “I want people to know that if you miss a call-up, that does not mean that you can not be recalled. I think I’ve not worked with Akpoguma, but I have seen him closely. He is a very good player, no doubt, but for me, he couldn’t replace Balogun, Troost-Ekong, or Omeruo,” he added.
Semi Ajayi nko?
@9:25
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Semi Ajayi nko?

He really shouldn't be talking like that.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:59 pm
Semi Ajayi nko?

He really shouldn't be talking like that.
It seems he just talks "anyhow". Very loose lips...
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I really don't understand the workings of the NFF. Various reports are saying that Nigeria have approached 20 year old Hamburg central defender, Jonas Davis, to switch over from Germany where he has U17 and U20 caps, to Nigeria.
We have Akpoguma available for us and have not reached out to him, yet we are trying to get another central defender in Germany.
Is money being made from this nationality switches by the NFF?
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 am I really don't understand the workings of the NFF. Various reports are saying that Nigeria have approached 20 year old Hamburg central defender, Jonas Davis, to switch over from Germany where he has U17 and U20 caps, to Nigeria.
We have Akpoguma available for us and have not reached out to him, yet we are trying to get another central defender in Germany.
Akpoguma, had his chance and did not cement his place. Let's give someone who is actually a central defender a chance... SE is now turn-by-turn Nigeria limited (apologies Ismaila Isa Funtua).
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Dammy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 am I really don't understand the workings of the NFF. Various reports are saying that Nigeria have approached 20 year old Hamburg central defender, Jonas Davis, to switch over from Germany where he has U17 and U20 caps, to Nigeria.
We like to collect Foriegn Born players like Pokemon but when its time to cap them they(Nigerian Coaches and NFF) will tell us that they havent seen them play and that we have better players in the NPFL. :boo: :boo: :boo:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I “scouted” him in his club Hoffenheim’s DFB-Pokal cup match away to RB Leipzig. He played as a right wing back. Observations:

1) He looked like a fish 🐠 out of 💦 CD playing at RWB. He does not look natural there.

2) He does not have the speed, mobility, or technique to play at RWB.

3) He looked bang average and was substituted at half time (he got a 2.4 performance rating).

4) I do not want to judge a player on one performance only (especially when he played in a position he did not seem thrilled about playing in). TBF some of his teammates were dire as well.

I would like to see more of him at CD as players often look transformed when played in a different position. On this performance though, he is not a long term player for Nigeria.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

wiseone wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:45 am I “scouted” him in his club Hoffenheim’s DFB-Pokal cup match away to RB Leipzig. He played as a right wing back. Observations:

1) He looked like a fish 🐠 out of 💦 CD playing at RWB. He does not look natural there.

2) He does not have the speed, mobility, or technique to play at RWB.

3) He looked bang average and was substituted at half time (he got a 2.4 performance rating).

4) I do not want to judge a player on one performance only (especially when he played in a position he did not seem thrilled about playing in). TBF some of his teammates were dire as well.

I would like to see more of him at CD as players often look transformed when played in a different position. On this performance though, he is not a long term player for Nigeria.
We have
Tosin Adarabioyo (if he finally makes the switch)
Olisa Ndah
Bruno Onyemaechi ( his versatility will prove vital for us as he can play as a CB and full back).
Bassey
Ekong ( credit to him that he moved to a top league to get regular playing time, even though he's in the last few years of his football with the NT).

Akpoguma depending on his form will at best add to our depth, he's not a bad player.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

He would never play RB for us.

Aina, Samuel, Ebuehi all ahead of him. Even Awaziem sef.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i do not rate him, from my own point of view , he isn't even better than any of our CBs..even Ekong is miles ahead of him
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved