If Nigeria had played the first leg at home…

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin
If Nigeria had played the first leg at home…

Post by Robbynice »

…and the game ended 0-0, would Nigeria have the “upper hand” going to Kumasi for the second leg? Would we be praising the result as a good result? :???:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: If Nigeria had played the first leg at home…

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:10 am …and the game ended 0-0, would Nigeria have the “upper hand” going to Kumasi for the second leg? Would we be praising the result as a good result? :???:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:10 am …and the game ended 0-0, would Nigeria have the “upper hand” going to Kumasi for the second leg? Would we be praising the result as a good result? :???:

Yes. If Ghana was ranked as high as Nigeria is today, of course. This was not a good result for SE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

It is not that difficult.

An away victory would have been an excellent result. Most of us believe it was within our reach.

A tied game with some scoring today in Kumasi leaves us in a better position than a goalless draw.

I am confident we can beat Ghana in Abuja.

However, if by some chance the game ends in a 1-1 draw we are out.

The situation is one of facts, as it pertains to the away goal rule, not one of feelings and drawing up funny scenarios.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

truetalk wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:08 am It is not that difficult.

An away victory would have been an excellent result. Most of us believe it was within our reach.

A tied game with some scoring today in Kumasi leaves us in a better position than a goalless draw.

The situation is one of facts, as it pertains to the away goal rule, not one of feelings and drawing up funny scenarios.
True.
What is more, our recent records at home has been awful. I am shaking \with this result. not a good result at all
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

furiously frank wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:15 am

True.
What is more, our recent records at home has been awful. I am shaking \with this result. not a good result at all
We should pray that Ghana doe not score first.

My man concern is our coach. He has no clue.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

truetalk wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:08 am

truetalk,

I actually disagree, an away victory would make these boys head swell, give them both the impression that the job is done and consequently the wrong attitude (per Tunisia in AFCON), now they have to win a match at home to get to the world cup.

If they cannot do that and Ghana come and get a score draw in Abuja, they don't deserve to go anywhere and Black Stars get all my best wishes for the World cup.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

A bloody good question

We are too quick to find faults in our own , I actually don’t mind the criticism but it’s the inconsistency as you point out now that is the head scratcher
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

akamoke wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:45 pm
A bloody good question

We are too quick to find faults in our own , I actually don’t mind the criticism but it’s the inconsistency as you point out now that is the head scratcher
Baba it is a shame, a damn shame if you ask me.

I mean if this scenario was the case, nobody will be saying “If Nigeria score in Kumasi…” They will probably be saying that since we can’t score in Abuja, we should forget it in Kumasi. They will say Ghana was unlucky not to have beat us at home with 2 glorious chances and a PK that was over turned by VAR. Now all we hear is if Ghana score, if they do this do that, same Ghana that could not do jack at home. They didn’t even trouble our defense. Uzoho was comfortable all game long…Anyways it is what it is with my country people and it is very sad…smdh

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:38 pm
A bloody good question

I mean if this scenario was the case, nobody will be saying “If Nigeria score in Kumasi…” They will probably be saying that since we can’t score in Abuja, we should forget it in Kumasi. They will say Ghana was unlucky not to have beat us at home with 2 glorious chances and a PK that was over turned by VAR. Now all we hear is if Ghana score, if they do this do that, same Ghana that could not do jack at home. They didn’t even trouble our defense. Uzoho was comfortable all game long…Anyways it is what it is with my country people and it is very sad…smdh

Let me explain it to you, slowly:

This is not 1970. Football has evolved and especially defensive tactics have evolved, re low block. This often means, AT LEAST IN THEORY, that an away team has more space to attack on the break and take advantage of the away goal rule.

So, you could expect that there will be less space for Nigeria to attack in the next game than in yesterday's, on the assumption that Ghana adopts a low block, as most inferior road teams would do. See CAR. Again in theory.

But theory doesn't play football. Plus this is not a good Ghana team. They just DO NOT have the players...

It was not a bad result. Neither was it a great result.

Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ghana are not going to sit down home or away as they also want to go to the World Cup so holding them to a 0-0 draw in Kumasi is a result that doesn’t exactly hurt Nigerias chance as the objective remains the same and that is to beat Ghana over 2 legs.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

A bloody good question

True.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm
A bloody good question

This is not 1970. Football has evolved and especially defensive tactics have evolved, re low block. This often means, AT LEAST IN THEORY, that an away team has more space to attack on the break and take advantage of the away goal rule.

So, you could expect that there will be less space for Nigeria to attack in the next game than in yesterday's, on the assumption that Ghana adopts a low block, as most inferior road teams would do. See CAR. Again in theory.

But theory doesn't play football. Plus this is not a good Ghana team. They just DO NOT have the players...

Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
Thanks for explaining it to me slowly. I appreciate you baba. Chop knuckle!

greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
How is Morocco's result better than that of Egypt?
But wow looking at the odds here if Egypt prevails in the second leg we could have 4 North African teams in Qatar. They could all enjoy bigger support since the World Cup is in the Middle East. Hopefully that means they do better this time.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

A bloody good question

Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
So you think sitting back in a "low block" is a modern tactic? Lol. Please sir, tell us how inferior teams defended in 1970.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

bushboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:15 pm
A bloody good question

Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
So you think sitting back in a "low block" is a modern tactic? Lol. Please sir, tell us how inferior teams defended in 1970.

Yes it is. Its an adaptation from the old cattenacio...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

greg wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:37 pm
txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
How is Morocco's result better than that of Egypt?
But wow looking at the odds here if Egypt prevails in the second leg we could have 4 North African teams in Qatar. They could all enjoy bigger support since the World Cup is in the Middle East. Hopefully that means they do better this time.

Senegal is Africa champions, Mali is not...

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Right. I don't know why Robby, E2 and a few others are struggling with this.

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Right. I don't know why Robby, E2 and a few others are struggling with this.

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat
1-1 is bad news for Nigeria.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

You are too old and sensible to be on this forum.....

The Mourinho method that made him what we was.....win or 0-0 draw at home, away as long as you don't concede, you have a chance, you score.....game over

Thats the only way to play a team better than you....go ask Italy...
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

A bloody good question

or maybe they will say that since we dominated the game but failed to score....and all we need is an away goal.....

lets be pragmatic...., be conservative, nick a goal and defend like our lives depended on it.....if North Macedonia can do it against Italy......why cant we?
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
This is not exactly accurate. We have to go by the teams in pot 1.

Among the teams in Pot 1 this is how their results ranked:
Algeria
Tunisia
Morocco
Nigeria
Senegal
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Orion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:38 am
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
This is not exactly accurate. We have to go by the teams in pot 1.

Among the teams in Pot 1 this is how their results ranked:
Algeria
Tunisia
Morocco
Nigeria
Senegal

We're not talking about the same thing