What happened to taking shots on goal? Are our players afraid?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
What happened to taking shots on goal? Are our players afraid?

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Partey's shot that scored for Ghana is the kind of shot you never see any of our overhyped players take. Low, crisp, powerful, and most importantly ON TARGET.

Our players can't shoot, can't cross, can't find the open man and we are here playing word games about coaches. Even Pep Guardiola himself would not have qualified this sorry bunch for the WC.

Abeg let me enjoy the WC watching teams that actually know how to play football.

Wha choo looking at?!
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: What happened to taking shots on goal? Are our players afraid?

Post by packerland »

No one on this team can hit it from distance. We don’t have an Oliseh, okocha, Ohenhen or Adepoju in this team. Even Victor rarely strikes the ball in the 18 like Emenike used to do in his prime.

The only one that can hit it from distance is Ndidi but his shots are mostly off target since his 3rd season at Leicester.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:29 pm Partey's shot that scored for Ghana is the kind of shot you never see any of our overhyped players take. Low, crisp, powerful, and most importantly ON TARGET.

Our players can't shoot, can't cross, can't find the open man and we are here playing word games about coaches. Even Pep Guardiola himself would not have qualified this sorry bunch for the WC.

Abeg let me enjoy the WC watching teams that actually know how to play football.
You’re a thought stealer! :rotf:
I was agonising over this very fact barely a week or two ago but I don’t think I had the time to post anything about it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Actually, I did:

posting.php?f=1&mode=quote&p=5742330&si ... c558b3f962
Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:45 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:28 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 am
kash n' karry wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 pm :evil: :twisted:
True talk ... finishing is a big issue ...even Eguavoen alluded to that fact... Oooo !!
============================================
Chance favors da prepared mind. ALWAYS !!
It really is a head scratcher.
When last did we see a SE deliver a long range shot that at least forces a save by the keeper?
The kind of long rangers that Oliseh used to shake the net vs Spain, or JJ hit against Cameroon, or Yekini was routinely scoring for club and country.
I really can’t remember such scorchers; not even testing the keeper or hitting the bar/post.

The quality of our long range shooting is really off.
Our players need to reset their GPS.
SERIOUSLY.
I could be wrong but wasn’t Kelechi’s goal against Egypt a volley? And gave the goalie no chance.
Yes it was a volley and a good one at that.
But I am still concerned that our shooting accuracy from long range is really poor and I can't recall when last we scored such a goal.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Guys that don't get regular playing time for their clubs don't suddenly turn into Roberto Carlos during such pressure packed moments.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

juventuss wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:20 pm Guys that don't get regular playing time for their clubs don't suddenly turn into Roberto Carlos during such pressure packed moments.
No bro, skills like crossing/shooting on target are honed on the practice field not necessarily in high pressure games. Players aren't accurate shooters by accident, they are that way because they spend extra time working on those skills. Kelechi spends extra time working on his shooting that is why he's good at it. The rest of our players are super poor at shooting and don't appear to be taking out their own personal time to work on that part of their game. Its the exact same thing with crossing, its not something you work on in high pressure games, its something you hone in your personal practice sessions where you drive to the line and put crosses, over and over and over aiming for specific targets. In recent memory only likes of Victor Moses, and to a lesser extent Aina have been able to do this consistently for SE. What was shocking in these two games was our CD's (Ekong in particular) were able to put in more dangerous crosses into the box than our wingers, I was shocked by that. Its like all Moses works on in practice is holding on to the ball and dribbling into cul-de-sacs. Anyways, what you see on gameday is a manifestation of what you've been working on in practice and clearly these guys need way more work on some of the rudimentary aspects of footie...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:16 pm Actually, I did:

posting.php?f=1&mode=quote&p=5742330&si ... c558b3f962
Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:45 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:28 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 am
kash n' karry wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 pm :evil: :twisted:
True talk ... finishing is a big issue ...even Eguavoen alluded to that fact... Oooo !!
============================================
Chance favors da prepared mind. ALWAYS !!
It really is a head scratcher.
When last did we see a SE deliver a long range shot that at least forces a save by the keeper?
The kind of long rangers that Oliseh used to shake the net vs Spain, or JJ hit against Cameroon, or Yekini was routinely scoring for club and country.
I really can’t remember such scorchers; not even testing the keeper or hitting the bar/post.

The quality of our long range shooting is really off.
Our players need to reset their GPS.
SERIOUSLY.
I could be wrong but wasn’t Kelechi’s goal against Egypt a volley? And gave the goalie no chance.
Yes it was a volley and a good one at that.
But I am still concerned that our shooting accuracy from long range is really poor and I can't recall when last we scored such a goal.
Game after game its the same thing, from the Tunisia game to yesterday, a whole bunch of shots, very few actually on target, very few work the keeper, the ones on target are usually tame back passes. Its just frustrating watching professionals not being able to at least work the keeper with their shots...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:29 pm Partey's shot that scored for Ghana is the kind of shot you never see any of our overhyped players take. Low, crisp, powerful, and most importantly ON TARGET.

Great observations.

We want to play 'tiki-taka' but we lack quick passing accuracy and positioning.
We want to play Championship 'hustle and bustle' but we can't shoot straight.
Coaching, ...coaching, ...coaching!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

joao wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:00 pm

Great observations.

Was watching a mid - lower end Premiership game just before the Int’l break last week (I think it was Everton vs some team) and saw the number of accurate long range shots forcing saves from the ‘keepers. These were coming from ordinary players ‘unknown’ on the international circuit
I remember asking myself, why are no Nigerian players capable of this?
Seriously though, why are our players not shooting like that for either club or country?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:16 pm

Great observations.

Was watching a mid - lower end Premiership game just before the Int’l break last week (I think it was Everton vs some team) and saw the number of accurate long range shots forcing saves from the ‘keepers. These were coming from ordinary players ‘unknown’ on the international circuit
Seriously though, why are our players not shooting like that for either club or country?
That wasn't always the case. Victor Ikpeba, Amunike, Amokachi, Oliseh, JJ Okocha, Babangida, Nsofor, Taiye Taiwo, even Finidi all had stinger missiles in their boots. Absolute ICBMs!

Nigeria announced their fearsome presence at the world cup with a stinging Amunike shot which rattled the Bulgarian crossbar. You could literally see the whole goal shake. This was when the game was at 0-0. Watching that as a fan gets you amped up! Ehen! We have arrived! We go show dem pepper! The fans retransmit this energy to the players and hype them up in turn. It is a self feeding loop. Can't expect fans to get excited for long by tepid back passes and useless dribbling into blind alleys, wayward "crosses" etc.

JJ Okocha's missile goal against the USA, Oliseh's goal against Spain, Amokachi's ICBM goal against Greece. Ikpeba's several missiles against Spain which must have softened up their keeper for the easy goal he let in against Lawal, and so on. Man! I miss those days and those kinds of players!

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Great observations.

You have to have space to take those kind of shots. Our players lack the movement to get into open areas necessary to take such shots.

Ejuke I remember was taking shots that at least tested keepers. Where was he again ?

Oh yeah we had Musa and Ighalo. Even dropping Ejuke for Amoo was retarded.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:32 pm

Great observations.

That wasn't always the case. Victor Ikpeba, Amunike, Amokachi, Oliseh, JJ Okocha, Babangida, Nsofor, Taiye Taiwo, even Finidi all had stinger missiles in their boots. Absolute ICBMs!

Nigeria announced their fearsome presence at the world cup with a stinging Amunike shot which rattled the Bulgarian crossbar. You could literally see the whole goal shake. This was when the game was at 0-0. Watching that as a fan gets you amped up! Ehen! We have arrived! We go show dem pepper! The fans retransmit this energy to the players and hype them up in turn. It is a self feeding loop. Can't expect fans to get excited for long by tepid back passes and useless dribbling into blind alleys, wayward "crosses" etc.

JJ Okocha's missile goal against the USA, Oliseh's goal against Spain, Amokachi's ICBM goal against Greece. Ikpeba's several missiles against Spain which must have softened up their keeper for the easy goal he let in against Lawal, and so on. Man! I miss those days and those kinds of players!
Abso-freaking-lutely!!
That Amuneke bar-rattler vs Bulgaria still has me in goose bumps.
What the hell happened?
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

My brother; my thought too. Why is it that no one takes a shot from outside 18 yards box, or even in the 18-yard box? All crosses were over and out of play. Why is it that we could not find a good forward of all people we have playing in good leagues of the World? I was wondering why Egus did not bring in that young man, Amoo to unlock the defense of the Ghanaians.