Ghanaian coach explains how they masterfully stifled Nigeria in Abuja

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ghanaian coach explains how they masterfully stifled Nigeria in Abuja

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:50 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:02 pm I am really glad that this is HAPPENING!!!!. We are acknowledging that local African coaches can do these things. As I always believed, there is nothing in coaching that makes it unreachable. Nigerian coaches can do this aand more BTW. I am glad that these are being shared with the public so that we all begin to ackjnowledge them. Great!!
Let the future Nigerian coaches GO AND GET DAMN JOBS. Coach clubs, coach national teams, be assistants at top clubs (Toure, Addo etc.) DO SOMETHING FOR HEAVENS SAKE, dont just expect SE to be given to you like its charity or affirmative action.

Lazy ex internationals, SE is not their birthright. Anyways the NFF are to blame for even thinking they are good enough simply because they are ex players.
As posted by Imehjunior on another thread:
imehjunior wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:29 pm Saw this on Whatsapp
Failure begets serious exposure....😟😟

Maybe this will calm your nerves regarding our loss yesterday.

Ghana’s Technical Crew
1- Chris Hughton – Premier League coach
2- Otto Addo – Asst coach of Borussia Dortmund*
3- George Boateng – Aston Villa under 23 coach.
4- Mas-ud Didi Dramani – Asst Coach at Norsjelland in Danish league.

Nigeria’s Technical crew
1- Austin Eguavoen – Jobless failed coach who took a job Seyi Olofinjana rejected…..
2- Emmanuel Amunike – Failed coach who was demoted to academy scout within 1 month
3- Paul Aigbogun – Another failed coach with no profile to write home about
4-Salisu Yusuf – Banned bribe taker
5-Joseph Yobo – Fashionista for 6 years and thereafter foisted on us by Segun Odegbami and co with zero coaching profile.

We lost our 2022 world cup ticket from the bench….
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:02 pm I am really glad that this is HAPPENING!!!!. We are acknowledging that local African coaches can do these things. As I always believed, there is nothing in coaching that makes it unreachable. Nigerian coaches can do this aand more BTW. I am glad that these are being shared with the public so that we all begin to ackjnowledge them. Great!!
Let the future Nigerian coaches GO AND GET DAMN JOBS. Coach clubs, coach national teams, be assistants at top clubs (Toure, Addo etc.) DO SOMETHING FOR HEAVENS SAKE, dont just expect SE to be given to you like its charity or affirmative action.

Lazy ex internationals, SE is not their birthright. Anyways the NFF are to blame for even thinking they are good enough simply because they are ex players.
Siasia was guilty of this!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

kalani JR wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:57 am

Siasia was guilty of this!
They all are.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:25 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:23 pm
txj wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:09 pm

The problem with you is this tendency to see everything from the African freedom fighter perspective.

Did you know that in 1982, Algerian coach Rabaah Sadaane was widely recruited in Europe and chose to turn the offers down?
The issue is NOT and has NEVER been about the competence or lack thereof African coaches. Ultimately, its ALWAYS been an individual thing.

As we speak there is not a single locally based coach that we have seen publicly that shows a body of work that is of international level. Not one!!!

And among the ex-pros, there is not one who is dedicated to making the transition atm. Not one!!!

We can stay here and keep singing umbutu, it will not change anything until we dedicate ourselves to doing this properly, rather than just expect it to happen...
Txj

Actually I will state that the problem with you is actually what you pointed above which is to state that all Africans or all this... here you have literally done it again by stating in otherv words " not a single" but how do you know of every Nigerian, may I ask? You do have a tendency to paint a wide brush instead of limiting your knowledge precisely to the narrow range that you are aware of. Not long ago you claimed you have watched practices of all Nigerian clubs and they involve putting teams against each other. That has long been proven to be false. Learn to timit your observation to the few instances that you know. Now you are trying to claim knowledge of all Nigerian coaches. That is surely false.

I said all the LCs we have 'seen publicly' for a reason. That is in reference to LCs with the various NTs and are involved in African club competitions.

Secondly I do not know where you got the info that I said I watched practices of all Nigerian clubs. I mean, how is that even possible?

Again, pls stop misrepresenting my views. Its become an established pattern with you.

Getting back to the substantive issue, your claim above that you are 'glad this is happening', as if this is anything new...

I understand your advocacy for African coaches, but it needs to be based on facts and reality on the ground...

As Lolly pointed out above, u tend to do this sideways argument thing :D
Txj,

You made that statement on CE a while back and it will not ever be forgotten. You havbe also made the claim that you watch all the NPFL matches while here in the USA. These types of statements are not to be forgotten. They will not. Limit them and no one wioll cite these issues. If not, any fuiture one wioll be recalled as well because such statements are just over the top.

I am glad this is happening indeed. There was a time on CE when you, as well as few others, claimed football plactrices at the local clubs amounted to simply choosing sides and playing 11 v 11. That was until there were people posting photos of teams working on various other things and reporting on them here. I reported one myself citing my visit to Enugu RAngers training while cHristian Chukweu and Sylvvanus Okpala vcoached the team. I cited even years prior when I watched Dan Anyiam eons ago work on various things with the old Rangers of the 1970s!!! I am glad that it is now of the past. I guartantee you that there are several coaches in Nigeria who can coach just as the Ghanaian coach is doing. Several guys have taken the highest coaching training there is. Nothing in coaching makes it impossible for Nigerians to acquire. Absolutely nothing in it. In fact, coaching soccer cannot be considered to be more scientific or complex than many endeavours that Nigerians excel in and I am writing about Nigerians, both home and abroad. The knowledge required to coach soccer is not as complicated as many knowledge bases that numerous Nigerians excel in.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:37 am

The problem with you is this tendency to see everything from the African freedom fighter perspective.

Did you know that in 1982, Algerian coach Rabaah Sadaane was widely recruited in Europe and chose to turn the offers down?
The issue is NOT and has NEVER been about the competence or lack thereof African coaches. Ultimately, its ALWAYS been an individual thing.

As we speak there is not a single locally based coach that we have seen publicly that shows a body of work that is of international level. Not one!!!

And among the ex-pros, there is not one who is dedicated to making the transition atm. Not one!!!

We can stay here and keep singing umbutu, it will not change anything until we dedicate ourselves to doing this properly, rather than just expect it to happen...
Txj

Actually I will state that the problem with you is actually what you pointed above which is to state that all Africans or all this... here you have literally done it again by stating in otherv words " not a single" but how do you know of every Nigerian, may I ask? You do have a tendency to paint a wide brush instead of limiting your knowledge precisely to the narrow range that you are aware of. Not long ago you claimed you have watched practices of all Nigerian clubs and they involve putting teams against each other. That has long been proven to be false. Learn to timit your observation to the few instances that you know. Now you are trying to claim knowledge of all Nigerian coaches. That is surely false.

I said all the LCs we have 'seen publicly' for a reason. That is in reference to LCs with the various NTs and are involved in African club competitions.

Secondly I do not know where you got the info that I said I watched practices of all Nigerian clubs. I mean, how is that even possible?

Again, pls stop misrepresenting my views. Its become an established pattern with you.

Getting back to the substantive issue, your claim above that you are 'glad this is happening', as if this is anything new...

I understand your advocacy for African coaches, but it needs to be based on facts and reality on the ground...

Txj,

You made that statement on CE a while back and it will not ever be forgotten. You havbe also made the claim that you watch all the NPFL matches while here in the USA. These types of statements are not to be forgotten. They will not. Limit them and no one wioll cite these issues. If not, any fuiture one wioll be recalled as well because such statements are just over the top.

I am glad this is happening indeed. There was a time on CE when you, as well as few others, claimed football plactrices at the local clubs amounted to simply choosing sides and playing 11 v 11. That was until there were people posting photos of teams working on various other things and reporting on them here. I reported one myself citing my visit to Enugu RAngers training while cHristian Chukweu and Sylvvanus Okpala vcoached the team. I cited even years prior when I watched Dan Anyiam eons ago work on various things with the old Rangers of the 1970s!!! I am glad that it is now of the past. I guartantee you that there are several coaches in Nigeria who can coach just as the Ghanaian coach is doing. Several guys have taken the highest coaching training there is. Nothing in coaching makes it impossible for Nigerians to acquire. Absolutely nothing in it. In fact, coaching soccer cannot be considered to be more scientific or complex than many endeavours that Nigerians excel in and I am writing about Nigerians, both home and abroad. The knowledge required to coach soccer is not as complicated as many knowledge bases that numerous Nigerians excel in.

Well, we have the search function here. Post it...
My point is, you should get off the habit of attributing to me what I did not say...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:51 am

Txj

Txj,

My point is, you should get off the habit of attributing to me what I did not say...
Txj

The point is that I will surely call you out when you make those blanket and unflattering comments about Nigeria, its football and its coaches. I surely will. The idea is to become circumspect when making such statements. It is my duty and my agenda.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:04 am
txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:51 am

Txj

Txj,

Txj

The point is that I will surely call you out when you make those blanket and unflattering comments about Nigeria, its football and its coaches. I surely will. The idea is to become circumspect when making such statements. It is my duty and my agenda.

Good try...

You're trying to divert attention from the substantive issue which appears to be part of your MO.

With a completely dysfunctional league and clubs that are not properly organized for developing football, who are these coaches with an established body of work that is of international level?

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Lolly wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:15 pm
Goalgetter wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:08 pm When a coach makes 3 changes at a time and the opposing coach sits there like a moron without making a move - man that really annoys me. That’s 3 fresh players - game changing move no matter how you slice it. Why Eguavoen didn’t bring in a second striker to play side to side with Osihmen and switch to a back 3 with 5 in the middle. Oh man these people are so dumb. No critical thinking. Move Aina and Bassey to the midfield, Dennis partner Osihmen up to if u don’t want to bring in a new striker, with Ajayi in as the 3rd CD. Replace Onyeka with Ajayi. Only one sub so far but with massive change in play dynamics.
Uzoho
Ajayi Ekong Balogun
Aina Etobo Aribo Bassey Lookman
Dennis Osihmen
This will ensure Ghana didn’t take control of the midfield which was what happened and slowed our momentum.
To be fair to Eguavoen, he had to make one forced change due to Onyeka’s injury. But it’s also not a valid excuse because the Ghanaians were already making their 3 substitutions before Shehu, so Eguavoen could have held back a minute and had a quick chat with his coaches to try and figure out what Ghana was up to.

But you are right. Our coaches were slow to pick up what the Ghanaians were up to.
I am not so angry but let me be slightly fair to Eguavoen today.

Ghana was reacting to his team's domination. He has not scouted this Ghana team. No one has because they are new. So he had to wait to see what their changes were and how it was going to affect his domination. So he did not have to react right away.

My problem is it took him way too long to figure out what was happening. By the 55th minute it was starting to be obvious we were getting outnumbered in dangerous areas but he used his second sub window on Lookman at minute 60. The tactical change should have happened then! He waited till minute 75/76 and he brought on Musa and Ighalo. They were trying to do the right thing, Musa especially, but they just dont have the ability anymore.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:54 pm
Goalgetter wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:08 pm When a coach makes 3 changes at a time and the opposing coach sits there like a moron without making a move - man that really annoys me. That’s 3 fresh players - game changing move no matter how you slice it. Why Eguavoen didn’t bring in a second striker to play side to side with Osihmen and switch to a back 3 with 5 in the middle. Oh man these people are so dumb. No critical thinking. Move Aina and Bassey to the midfield, Dennis partner Osihmen up to if u don’t want to bring in a new striker, with Ajayi in as the 3rd CD. Replace Onyeka with Ajayi. Only one sub so far but with massive change in play dynamics.
Uzoho
Ajayi Ekong Balogun
Dennis Osihmen
This will ensure Ghana didn’t take control of the midfield which was what happened and slowed our momentum.
To be fair to Eguavoen, he had to make one forced change due to Onyeka’s injury. But it’s also not a valid excuse because the Ghanaians were already making their 3 substitutions before Shehu, so Eguavoen could have held back a minute and had a quick chat with his coaches to try and figure out what Ghana was up to.

But you are right. Our coaches were slow to pick up what the Ghanaians were up to.

Ghana was reacting to his team's domination. He has not scouted this Ghana team. No one has because they are new. So he had to wait to see what their changes were and how it was going to affect his domination. So he did not have to react right away.

My problem is it took him way too long to figure out what was happening. By the 55th minute it was starting to be obvious we were getting outnumbered in dangerous areas but he used his second sub window on Lookman at minute 60. The tactical change should have happened then! He waited till minute 75/76 and he brought on Musa and Ighalo. They were trying to do the right thing, Musa especially, but they just dont have the ability anymore.
Ugbowo,

This is actually a poor, poor excuse for abysmal game management and team organization.

First of all, if you look at the last to lineups by Ghana at AFCON, it really does not differ from the lineups against Nigeria.

And if anything, the slight difference weakened, not strengthened the Ghanaian team!

In BOTH LEGS, the lineups and the substitution patterns accurately reflect a manager with no clear ideas of the game, and how he looks to progressively manage a match and improve the performance of the team.

We were told by his apologists that he had made the tactical switch vs Tunisia of adjusting the role of Moses, except that this was negated by Iwobi's red card.

Fast forward to the two games vs Ghana, look at the role of Moses and tell me what changed?

truemamamia
Egg
Egg

Post by truemamamia »

txj wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:52 pm
Uzoho
Ajayi Ekong Balogun
Dennis Osihmen

Ugbowo,

This is actually a poor, poor excuse for abysmal game management and team organization.

First of all, if you look at the last to lineups by Ghana at AFCON, it really does not differ from the lineups against Nigeria.

And if anything, the slight difference weakened, not strengthened the Ghanaian team!

In BOTH LEGS, the lineups and the substitution patterns accurately reflect a manager with no clear ideas of the game, and how he looks to progressively manage a match and improve the performance of the team.

We were told by his apologists that he had made the tactical switch vs Tunisia of adjusting the role of Moses, except that this was negated by Iwobi's red card.

Fast forward to the two games vs Ghana, look at the role of Moses and tell me what changed?
Agree no significant changes to AFCON squad

major changes is to insert uncapped but experienced Denis Odoi in right back and adding Kuddus ( He didnt show up at Nations Cup though he was listed as squad member). Gyan in attack is the only other addition. What changed significantly was tactics. The Ghana midfield in AFCON was very porous.

Ghana has had issues with injuries and some players refusing to play for Ghana
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

truemamamia wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:21 pm
Uzoho
Ajayi Ekong Balogun
Dennis Osihmen

Ugbowo,

major changes is to insert uncapped but experienced Denis Odoi in right back and adding Kuddus ( He didnt show up at Nations Cup though he was listed as squad member). Gyan in attack is the only other addition. What changed significantly was tactics. The Ghana midfield in AFCON was very porous.

Now that Ghana is at the world cup, watch how those players that refused to play for Ghana will start pushing to play for the Black stars, I heard the Inaki Brothers now want to play for Ghana...who talk say world cup no sweet? :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:24 pm
truemamamia wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:21 pm
Uzoho
Ajayi Ekong Balogun
Dennis Osihmen

Ugbowo,

Now that Ghana is at the world cup, watch how those players that refused to play for Ghana will start pushing to play for the Black stars, I heard the Inaki Brothers now want to play for Ghana...who talk say world cup no sweet? :lol:

Not quite correct even if I agree that WC qualification makes recruitment of the players easier.

They’ve been working on this for a while and hiring the diaspora Ghanaians as coaches was expected to be a help.

Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The Ghanaian coaches are NOT local African coaches
They are all foreign citizens
African coaches suck
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Lolly wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:01 pm
:lol: I have to believe you do this intentionally.

Who said local African coaches can’t coach? All people have been saying is that none of our current high profile local coaches have got a good track record of working at a decent level and they don’t seem to strive to do more.

Btw, George Boateng played for the Dutch National side and is currently Aston Villa’s Under 23 coach after been promoted from the Under 18s. He previously coached Under13s at Blackburn Rovers.

Otto Addo is currently the first team assistant coach at Borussia Dortmund after been promoted from being a talent coach. He previously worked as talent coach at another German club, Borussia Mönchengladbach.

I hope you can see progression with these guys? Ours are just sitting around waiting for the next National assignment. Very annoying.
Well said bro :clap: :clap:. The appalling culture of entitlement has eaten deep into the fabric of Nigerian politics, government and sport.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:11 pm Chei...see the very brilliant break down of their tactical adjustments

Meanwhile we had Mr 442 and his outdated coaching IQ failing to adjust his tactics while Ghana did their homework in the second half...shame on Eguavoen, never again shall we have brainless dinosaurs in our football.

In the meantime peakmilk or Airpeace CEO is giving half time pep talk to our Eagles. See the reason I will not support most local coaches is that ....for some one like EGu, he is more apt to accept NFF chairman or some NFF big wigs come to our half time session. A foreign coach will see stuff like that as crazy and will not accept. I have come to see that these kinds of "nigerian way" are the things that handicap us. Oliseh is one of the few I will support
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:23 am Well said bro :clap: :clap:. The appalling culture of entitlement has eaten deep into the fabric of Nigerian politics, government and sport.
NFF Vice Chaiman, Seyi Akinwunmi on Cybereagles, June 1st 2021
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=304503&p=5673991&hi ... i#p5673991

On Nigerian Coaches
Mr VP was asked specifically about the claim by Finidi `George that he was being ignored for a national coaching role despite his unarguable football pedigree, his coaching licences and his experience coaching youth teams in Spain. He is also a fans’ favourite and the clamour for him to be considered has been loud and unrelenting.

The VP first clarified that Finidi had indeed been considered and invited for interview alongside several others. Unfortunately for him, the NFF decided on another candidate, also an ex-SE player. VP Akinwunmi assured everyone that he is “a great fan” of Finidi George as are most of the NFF and there was nothing personal about the NFF decision to hire someone else from a list of candidates shortlisted and interviewed for the job.

On a more general note, VP Akinwunmi said he was unhappy with the public pressure put on the NFF via the media by aspiring coaches but it was ultimately not in the best interest of the NFF to engage in public debate on all issues, accusations and inaccuracies in the public domain regarding the body.

He was also asked about the NFF’s overall view on local coaches and made it clear that it was not the NFF’s role to train Nigerian coaches but to create an enabling environment for them to thrive and practise. He believes many Nigerian coaches “are lazy” and are not proactive in improving themselves technically . He described how many coaches were practising with level ‘E’ and ‘D’ coaching licenses but level ‘C’ licences were available with only a few showing an interest . in achieving that grade.

Many a time the NFF has had to go beyond their remit to sponsor coaches on courses which they should be accessing themselves. There was often “a sense of entitlement” which did not augur well for coaching development in the country.
On its part the NFF had engaged the services of a top-flight Nigerian coaching trainer based in the USA who would be taking up office very shortly.

Finally, he was at pains to point out that despite what many might think, ex-Nigerian players had been engaged by the NFF over the years and would beg to differ on the premise that they were being ignored. He mentioned those ex-players on the NFF technical committee like Augustine Eguavon and Garba Lawal; there was Emmanuel Amuneke who took the U17 team to win the WC in 2015 as well as deputy SE Coach Joseph Yobo who has also acquired his licenses.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Uzoho
Ajayi Ekong Balogun
Dennis Osihmen

Ugbowo,

I am focusing squarely on the triple substitution at the start of the half.

It is one thing if the Ghanaian manager was unchanged from the AFCON. This was a brand new coaching staff making a triple substitution in a game you were clearly dominating. Coaching instincts mean you HAVE TO wait and see what the opponent is trying to do tactically to stifle you so that you can counter it. Again it would have been foolish of Eguavoen to immediately make his substitutions without knowing that Otto Addo was thinking with his subs.

My only problem with it was at minute 50, you could CLEARLY see what was happening. And just like against Tunisia, Eguavoen waited and waited and waited. Surprisingly instead of a tactical change, he made a personnel change. First mistake. When he finally makes a tactical change, he brings in WRONG personnel. Second mistake.

So I'm not holding court for him. I was pissed after Tunisia, really pissed after the first leg with that 4-4-2 confused Ihenacho mess and beyond upset at the lack of reaction to an obvious adjustment. He is outdated on the pitch. He may be a great man manager for all we know but he is severely lacking in awareness and organization.

The owngoal article I read today does not help matters.