Honestly folks We need to stop this!!!!!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

highbury
Egg
Egg
Honestly folks We need to stop this!!!!!!!

Post by highbury »

We ( Nigerians and our government) need to stop spending our money and energy on SE. Let's be honest, SE have really underachieved in years. They always disappoint. SE team in 1990's disappointed, in the 2000's disappointed, 2010's disappointed, 2020's disappointed. We had sprinkles of success but for the most part a big disappointment. My suggestion is that the money invested on SE should be spread evenly across other sports- basketball, field hockey, boxing, athletics, women football etc. Maybe we will get a better return on investment. Imagine if we invest in these sports as we do in football.
highbury
Egg
Egg
Re: Honestly folks We need to stop this!!!!!!!

Post by highbury »

I am also happy we failed on our own term. I will still hire a local Coach. How long do we have to wait for Nigerians to find solutions to their own problems? Not long enough. A time will have to come when Nigerians will realize that the solutions to Nigerian problems will only be solved by Nigerians themselves. Hire a foreign coach ,na rinse and repeat be that. I supported the firing of Rohr, but I never supported the timing of his firing.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

You have a point. The return on investment ($ and emotional) has been abysmal.

SE is like a startup that is not lacking in capital, but lacking in organization and talent.

So while there’s a lot of money (& emotions) available, we never actually set the team up for success. So we keep riding a roller coaster to nowhere.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

highbury wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:35 am We ( Nigerians and our government) need to stop spending our money and energy on SE. Let's be honest, SE have really underachieved in years. They always disappoint. SE team in 1990's disappointed, in the 2000's disappointed, 2010's disappointed, 2020's disappointed. We had sprinkles of success but for the most part a big disappointment. My suggestion is that the money invested on SE should be spread evenly across other sports- basketball, field hockey, boxing, athletics, women football etc. Maybe we will get a better return on investment. Imagine if we invest in these sports as we do in football.
Highbury

It sounds nice on paper but there is a major reason so much is invested in football. This sport has the support of an overwhelming majority of Nigerians and it isn't even close. Thus, if Nigeria achieves in football it quickly, albeit momentarily, unites the country. No other sport can remotely achieve this because winning in that sport will not even be known by a significant number of persons.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I for one watch with far more detachment than I used to. We are a good footballing nation, not a great one. We have gone to 3 straight World Cups (i think) we were bound to slip up. We just don't have the players or administrative nounce to do what the likes of Brazil and England do.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

highbury wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:02 am I am also happy we failed on our own term. I will still hire a local Coach. How long do we have to wait for Nigerians to find solutions to their own problems? Not long enough. A time will have to come when Nigerians will realize that the solutions to Nigerian problems will only be solved by Nigerians themselves. Hire a foreign coach ,na rinse and repeat be that. I supported the firing of Rohr, but I never supported the timing of his firing.
...when you did that, you added petrol to the burning fire. No smart and patriotic person, no matter how you detest the former coach, will voice his firing at a crucial time of 2 major tournaments he has qualified us to.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

mcal wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:21 pm
highbury wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:02 am I am also happy we failed on our own term. I will still hire a local Coach. How long do we have to wait for Nigerians to find solutions to their own problems? Not long enough. A time will have to come when Nigerians will realize that the solutions to Nigerian problems will only be solved by Nigerians themselves. Hire a foreign coach ,na rinse and repeat be that. I supported the firing of Rohr, but I never supported the timing of his firing.
...when you did that, you added petrol to the burning fire. No smart and patriotic person, no matter how you detest the former coach, will voice his firing at a crucial time of 2 major tournaments he has qualified us to.
Every smart and patriotic person will use all of my words, not some of it to make a point when everyone can easily see it. See how you highlight, only things that fit your agenda. Shame on you.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

highbury wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 pm
Every smart and patriotic person will use all of my words, not some of it to make a point when everyone can easily see it. See how you highlight, only things that fit your agenda. Shame on you.
stop wasting your time, take the sport as what it is, football. there will be more football , win, lose etc.. to be honest it matters not, last WC,USA ghana etc didn't qualify, Italy has 4 Worldcup championships, they are the current champs of Europe and they've missed 2 back to back WCs . England missed out in 1994, Holland missed out in 2018 today they are in Qatar, the Worldcup will come and go, we didn't qualify in 2006, but made it in 3 straight Worldcups.. there will be another set of qualifiers, me i just what to know how CAF will set this up?

Will they have 9 different groups, or have 2 groups of 10 each, with the top 4 getting the auto births and then the 5th teams playing a playoff to get the 9th birth and the loser going to the continental playoffs.. that is what CAF should be telling us.. so small margins of errors are excused. look at Nigeria and Algeria missing out due to away goals etc
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:20 pm
highbury wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 pm
stop wasting your time, take the sport as what it is, football. there will be more football , win, lose etc.. to be honest it matters not, last WC,USA ghana etc didn't qualify, Italy has 4 Worldcup championships, they are the current champs of Europe and they've missed 2 back to back WCs . England missed out in 1994, Holland missed out in 2018 today they are in Qatar, the Worldcup will come and go, we didn't qualify in 2006, but made it in 3 straight Worldcups.. there will be another set of qualifiers, me i just what to know how CAF will set this up?

Will they have 9 different groups, or have 2 groups of 10 each, with the top 4 getting the auto births and then the 5th teams playing a playoff to get the 9th birth and the loser going to the continental playoffs.. that is what CAF should be telling us.. so small margins of errors are excused. look at Nigeria and Algeria missing out due to away goals etc
CAF is useless. Trust me, whatever format they come up with you won’t like it. Some of your CAF officials come from minnow countries and they want to go to World Cup too. Guys like Pinnick has no integrity & can be easily bought.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^ who knows they may now implement the regional qualifiers, just like the youths and women football
SuperEagles

truemamamia
Egg
Egg

Post by truemamamia »

I felt the same way after the disgrace from Black Stars in Brazil. Most Ghanaians stopped caring about the team. The team is trying hard to win back the Ghanaian population. I still think Ghana govt waste so much money on soccer---- the return is minimum. Even if we won the world Cup, I dont think we can recuperate the money spent on the team.
The National teams need to be run professionally and decoupled from the government.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

There are other sports Nigeria is excelling in, our Basketball ball team for example looks very solid and among the best in the world, but there is just something about soccer, that's the only one sport that unites every Nigerian.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:12 pm There are other sports Nigeria is excelling in, our Basketball ball team for example looks very solid and among the best in the world, but there is just something about soccer, that's the only one sport that unites every Nigerian.
this is bs as far as the unity crap
SuperEagles

malamax
Egg
Egg

Post by malamax »

Why are we blaming CAF?
All we had to do was beat Ghana over 2 legs and we couldn’t
Let’s move forward and start planning for the Nations Cup next year
ataka
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

malamax wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:10 pm Why are we blaming CAF?
All we had to do was beat Ghana over 2 legs and we couldn’t
Let’s move forward and start planning for the Nations Cup next year
why bother hopefully CAF setups regional qualifications , whereby only one team from ECOWAS makes it to USA 2026
SuperEagles