Super Falcons arrive Canada for double friendly games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Nigeria’s senior female national team, the Super Falcons will face the Canadian women’s team in preparatory games for the African Women’s Cup of Nations in Morocco.

The Super Falcons arrived Canada on Wednesday after leaving for the North American country on Tuesday.

Veteran defender, Onome Ebi and her Super Falcons teammate, Glory Ogbonna were part of the contingent that flew out to Vancouver on Tuesday.

Other members of the squad based in Europe will connect Canada from their respective locations.

The nine-time African champions will face the Canadians in two games on the 8th of April and 11th of April.

The first clash will hold at the BC Place in Vancouver on Friday, while the second game will be held at the Centennial Stadium, Victoria City.

Both games will be held at 7:30 p.m local time on Friday and Monday respectively.

With smaller teams on the continent standing up to be counted and the Nigerian team facing reality checks in recent time, the friendly games have been dubbed necessary.

Nigeria overcame opposition from Ghana and Ivory Coast to qualify for the AWCON.

The Super Falcons had also been walloped in Abuja by the Bayana Bayana of South Africa in the Aisha Buhari Cup, in a game that informed authorities of the closeness of competition on the continent.

Secretary-General of the NFF, Mohammed Sanusi said they aren’t taking anything for granted and are trying to get the team quality games ahead of the tournament.

“There are no longer minnows or minions in African women football. The championship in Morocco will serve as the qualifying tournament for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup and we cannot afford to take chances.

“Only the four semi finalists in Morocco will qualify for the Women’s World Cup to be hosted by Australia and New Zealand next year. It is important that our girls get the best of preparation possible.”

https://soccernet.ng/2022/04/super-falc ... games.html
Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: Super Falcons arrive Canada for double friendly games

Post by Igugu »

Good luck to the girls.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

.............. "Super Falcons had also been walloped in Abuja by the Bayana Bayana of South Africa in the Aisha Buhari Cup" ................
It was not in Abuja, but in Lagos.

............ "The championship in Morocco will serve as the qualifying tournament for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup and we cannot afford to take chances."
Well, with Pinnick still in charge you are taking chances.

................ "the four semi finalists in Morocco will qualify for the Women’s World Cup"...............
That is a fraud that Pinnick allowed to happen without query; shows you he is at CAF just for his benefits not for the country or continent. Each country should play progressive 2-legged qualifying matches, not one country sitting at home until others fight it out to qualify and come to their home soil.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Vancouver radio stations have been announcing this Canadian "victory tour" nonstop for 2 weeks. Should be a packed house. The section for about 200 Nigerian fans should also sell out. We beat Canada at the WC last time we met so I smell a Brentford style revenge grudge match.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Oshoala stripped off Super Falcons’ captaincy

Barcelona attacker, Asisat Oshoala has been stripped off her captaincy of the the Nigerian senior women’s national team, Super Falcons.

The decision was reportedly necessitated by the former Arsenal Ladies forward’s performance at the Aisha Buhari Cup with the captaincy believed to be affecting her form on the pitch.

A senior official of the NFF, according to SportNewsAfrica revealed that the decision on Oshoala wasn’t taken in bad faith but in order to help the attacker rediscover her form with the Super Falcons.

“We have no issue whatsoever with Asisat [Oshoala] but thoughts of stripping her of the armbard came after Aisha Buhari Cup last September,” the senior official was quoted as saying.

“This is not for anything negative but for troubling concerns of seeing her struggle in national team colours. We and the coach [Waldrum] observed the captaincy is weighing her down and affecting her play. With or without it, we believe she is a true professional player and should not struggle to prove otherwise by delivering on the pitch.”

Oshoala was named Super Falcons captain in September 2019 by Chris Danjuma after captain of the team at the time, Desire Oparanozie was stripped off her armband following a contention with the NFF.

Super Falcons veteran Onome Ebi is reported to be the new captain and she’ll be assisted by Francesca Ordega.

Ebi, 38, is the most experienced player in the team and is a veteran of five World Cups. She previously held the band in the past and captained the Super Falcons to their last AWCON success.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/04/report-osh ... aincy.html

After being stripped off Super Falcons captaincy, Oshoala sends cryptic message

Former Super Falcons captain, Asisat Oshoala has made a cryptic post on her Twitter account shortly after news emerged that she’s been stripped off as skipper.

Oshoala sent a veiled message using a Yorùbá proverb, with subtleties indicating her reaction to the situation.

The Barcelona Femeni forward wrote; “Iyá a tókú má ku, a mònà òrun ma lo,” and added a laugh emoji to it.

Recall that Oshoala was stripped of the Super Falcons captaincy and was replaced with 38-year old Belarus-based veteran, Onome Ebi.

Ebi has the participation of any Nigerian at the World Cup with five tournaments under her belt.
The Super Falcons captaincy has been a matter of contention for the past three years.

In 2019, at the FIFA Women’s World Cup where Oshoala was vice captain to Desire Oparanozie, the NFF owed the players some of their dues, leading to a protest by the players, led by the skipper at the time.

In September of that year, Chris Danjuma replaced Oparanozie, reportedly after an order from above and appointed Oshoala. The former FC Robo forwards spent 30 months in the role but it also culminated to her worst period with the Super Falcons.
The NFF claimed that the decision to take the captaincy from the four-time African Player of the Year is a means to get her back to a better level, and they decided to take the decision after the Aisha Buhari Cup.

Ebi will lead the Super Falcons out against Canada on the 8th and 11th of April respectively.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/04/after-bein ... ssage.html
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

This fight between Assisat and Ebi will not end well. It will go on for a while. Assisat needs to take it easy will the social media fight. The reality is that there has been enormous bad blood that go way back to the dismissal of Oparabnozie from the captainship. Assisat, as well as Ebi, were rumored to be central to that. Importantly, it was not taken well by others given that Oparanozie at the time was seen as fighting for the good of the team. But these things can go from bad to worse if not stemmed. In my view, Assisat needs to put her foot on this verbal pedal. Nigeria needs her and she needs Nigeria. Just an opinion.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Can someone please translate the asisat tweet
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:03 am This fight between Assisat and Ebi will not end well. It will go on for a while. Assisat needs to take it easy will the social media fight. The reality is that there has been enormous bad blood that go way back to the dismissal of Oparabnozie from the captainship. Assisat, as well as Ebi, were rumored to be central to that. Importantly, it was not taken well by others given that Oparanozie at the time was seen as fighting for the good of the team. But these things can go from bad to worse if not stemmed. In my view, Assisat needs to put her foot on this verbal pedal. Nigeria needs her and she needs Nigeria. Just an opinion.
At the time the captainship was given to Assisat, I said it should be taken away from her immediately or the team will trend in a downfall. She has never been captainship material, and may never be.
I have much to say about this but I just leave it at that.

......................"Nigeria needs her and she needs Nigeria."..............
As for this, SF is not much different without her.
Once again, I have much to say about this but I just leave it at that.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Oguleftie, please do speak on it.

In my thoughts, Ebo is too old and need to be phased out from the team. Asisat has not played well for the Falcons since that 3-3 draw against Sweden. The team can use her but she hasn’t been missed that much. Time to new blood to take over. I’m not a fan of the coach but let’s see what they can do against Canada.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The only level headed player deserving of the band at the moment is DESIRE. The rest of that old cargo group are essentially drama queens except defender ohalle
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."