Obinna Nwobodo: FC Cincinnati sign Nigerian midfielder from Goztepe

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Obinna Nwobodo: FC Cincinnati sign Nigerian midfielder from Goztepe

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I saw him play for Cincinnati today and I wasn’t impressed at all. He was very non-dynamic to me. He took the safe pass each time. His movement was really lethargic too. Based on his showing he is not SE material.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, just for my edumacation, what was he dupposed to do before a pass? Backflips? I personally think our players need to make the simple pass instead of first trying to dribble an opponent first. Our players tend to try to dribble first even when a simple pass will suffice. They all have the okocha syndrome.

Having said that, I think Nigeria's current best players are already in the SE. Nwobodo, if invited, will not move the SE quality needle one inch.
YUJAM wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 am I saw him play for Cincinnati today and I wasn’t impressed at all. He was very non-dynamic to me. He took the safe pass each time. His movement was really lethargic too. Based on his showing he is not SE material.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I saw him play for Goztepe several times before he moved to the MLS. His work rate was very high the times I saw him, and he looks good at tackling and breaking up plays. I expected him to make more forward passes or driving runs from deep since he was used as a CM in his U20 days and on the wings in Hungary. However, he often went for the simple short lateral pass and seemed to keep it a little too simple. That may have been what he was instructed to do by his coach tho. Like Mikel, the offensive side of his game may be slowly being coached out of him.
YUJAM wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 am I saw him play for Cincinnati today and I wasn’t impressed at all. He was very non-dynamic to me. He took the safe pass each time. His movement was really lethargic too. Based on his showing he is not SE material.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I would take Nwobodo over the likes of Bonke and Michael, and may even take him ahead of Onyedika. I'm not sure yet if I would take him ahead of Alhassan Yusuf, Ejaria, or Dele-Bashiru because the three I mentioned contribute their share offensively. Note, I'm not calling Yusuf an AM, I'm just saying he is a CM that is comfortable bringing the ball forward and making forward passes. Ejaria looks like he will be very natural in an AM role.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:30 pm
joao wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:17 pm
maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:02 pm
Cellular wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:53 pm MSL is better than a lot of leagues in Europe.

At least you will get proper football education. You will get good facilities. Good medical care. Good nutrition.

And you WILL BE FIT!

I always laugh when Naijarians denigrate MLS... they just don't know anything about it.
But it also seems the best US players end up moving to Europe rather than staying at home…
Not really, those ones just go searching for international taste and glory.
The MLS is definitely not an inferior league in terms of organization and facilities.
Yea, but what about competitiveness and pay? I would have thought Turkish league pays better?
Not necessarily. Designated international players make a lot more than regular MLS players. I believe this move was primarily a money move for him. Indeed, he now has a base salary of $900,000, 3 times his salary at Goztepe, and a total compensation package of $1,028,100. He is the most significant signing of the General Manager Chris Albright era to date❗️

Cheers.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:08 am
Cellular wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:53 pm MSL is better than a lot of leagues in Europe.

At least you will get proper football education. You will get good facilities. Good medical care. Good nutrition.

And you WILL BE FIT!

I always laugh when Naijarians denigrate MLS... they just don't know anything about it.
But it also seems the best US players end up moving to Europe rather than staying at home…
The MLS is definitely not an inferior league in terms of organization and facilities.
Yea, but what about competitiveness and pay? I would have thought Turkish league pays better?
Not necessarily. Designated international players make a lot more than regular MLS players. I believe this move was primarily a money move for him. Indeed, he now has a base salary of $900,000, 3 times his salary at Goztepe, and a total compensation package of $1,028,100. He is the most significant signing of the General Manager Chris Albright era to date❗️

Cheers.
Oh ok that’s what’s up, I just always thought of you not a know star retiring in the MLS it’s better to stay in Europe money-wise.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:23 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:08 am

And you WILL BE FIT!

Cheers.
Oh ok that’s what’s up, I just always thought of you not a know star retiring in the MLS it’s better to stay in Europe money-wise.

The std is steadily improving and is probably higher than the Scandinavian leagues.
The fitness and conditioning level is at par with any in the world...

IMO in 5yrs, this will be the major competitor to Europe.
This is a league to keep an eye on...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Saw him again, this time vs NYCFC.

I think he needs more time to further settle into MLS, but there's no doubt he's justifying the investment in him.

They struggled to keep the intensity and let a 3-0 lead slip; were not always well organized, esp in their transition defending and rotations...

But my sense is that he can challenge for a spot in the squad, mostly for the additional quality he does possess for the key pass from deep...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Obinna Nwobodo, in my view, magnifies the dysfunction in the NFF like no other player. After assessing him, FC Cincinnati made him an offer worth over $1 million a year. I am then tempted to ask what criteria, obviously different from Cincinnati scouts’, the NFF uses to assess central midfielders, allowing them to value players like Onyeka, Etebo and Bonke over Nwobodo. With the prolonged absence of Wilfred Ndidi, one would think the NFF’s priority would be to engage a quality central midfielder with exceptional defensive, tackling and passing skills; like Obinna Nwobodo; but that’s just me❗️

Cheers.