Obinna Nwobodo: FC Cincinnati sign Nigerian midfielder from Goztepe

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Obinna Nwobodo: FC Cincinnati sign Nigerian midfielder from Goztepe

Post by txj »

The former Flying Eagles star will continue his professional career at the TQL Stadium after leaving the Turkish outfit

Major League Soccer side FC Cincinnati have confirmed the signing of Obinna Nwobodo from Goztepe.

The former Nigeria U20 midfielder joins the TQL Stadium giants on a three-year contract that will run through 2024, with an option to extend until 2025.

The American announced this in a statement published on their website on Wednesday evening.

“The 25-year-old has signed a three-year deal with FC Cincinnati through the 2024 MLS season with an option for 2025. He will occupy an international roster spot.”

Nwobodo commenced his professional career at Enugu Rangers - a team he helped to win the Nigeria Professional Football League title in 2016.

Following that triumph, he was signed by Hungarian side Ujpest on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

After seeing out his career with the Purples, he was snapped up by the Turkish Super Lig side. He had since become a key figure in Stjepan Tomas’ side.

Prior to his move to Cincinnati, the African played in 29 league matches for Goz Goz, albeit, with no goal to his credit.

Cincinnati general manager Chris Albright was pleased with Nwobodo’s arrival and stated he would complement the club.

“We’re excited to welcome Obinna to FC Cincinnati,” Albright the club website.

“His overall quality will complement our group, while his work rate and defensive presence in midfield are both exceptional.

“Obi is also a dedicated teammate with a character that fits what we’re trying to build. I’d like to thank our ownership group as they continue to demonstrate their commitment to this club.”

Echoing this sentiment is manager Pat Noonan who is in awe of the former Flying Eagle’s qualities.

“Obinna is an elite ball-winning midfielder that adds a different dynamic to our team,” he stated.

“His ability to break up plays, combined with his forward-first mentality make him an excellent addition to our group.”

With this move, he becomes the third African in Cincinnati after Isaac Atanga (Ghana), and Dominique Badji (Senegal).

Nwobodo could make his debut against Atlanta United on Saturday.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/obinna- ... e4cb8b3a13
Last edited by txj on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Obinna Nwobodo: FC Cincinnati sign Nigerian midfielder from Goztepe

Post by txj »

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Imagine if we had a smart coach that went to Kumasi with 3 legit MF that could press,pass and win tackles.

Very happy for him. He deserves it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

all the best
will be on the lookout for his games
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Congrats, this is a good thing abi? Any hopes of his SE chances improving with this move?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:27 pm Congrats, this is a good thing abi? Any hopes of his SE chances improving with this move?
No. Had a better chance playing in Europe. Nigerians still think America is an inferior soccer nation for some daft reason.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:27 pm Congrats, this is a good thing abi? Any hopes of his SE chances improving with this move?
Actually, the move is a legitimate concern given Nigeria's most recent focus on players who play in Europe. Nevertheless, he has to make a move that enhances his personal future. This profession is over in a blink of an eye. Thus, focus on your economic wellbeing primarily.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Definitely mixed feelings about this. But I will definitely be on the lookout for his games now.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

MSL is better than a lot of leagues in Europe.

At least you will get proper football education. You will get good facilities. Good medical care. Good nutrition.

And you WILL BE FIT!

I always laugh when Naijarians denigrate MLS... they just don't know anything about it.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:53 pm MSL is better than a lot of leagues in Europe.

At least you will get proper football education. You will get good facilities. Good medical care. Good nutrition.

And you WILL BE FIT!

I always laugh when Naijarians denigrate MLS... they just don't know anything about it.
But it also seems the best US players end up moving to Europe rather than staying at home…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:02 pm
Cellular wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:53 pm MSL is better than a lot of leagues in Europe.

And you WILL BE FIT!

But it also seems the best US players end up moving to Europe rather than staying at home…
Not really, those ones just go searching for international taste and glory.
The MLS is definitely not an inferior league in terms of organization and facilities.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

And you WILL BE FIT!

Bro, if you pay attention to those that go overseas it is either of two things... yet to be discovered or those going for greener pastures (more pay).
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

joao wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:17 pm

And you WILL BE FIT!

The MLS is definitely not an inferior league in terms of organization and facilities.
Yea, but what about competitiveness and pay? I would have thought Turkish league pays better?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:30 pm
joao wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:17 pm

And you WILL BE FIT!

Yea, but what about competitiveness and pay? I would have thought Turkish league pays better?
You are right about Turkish league paying better.
My argument is that US players like to go to those top European leagues - English, German,
and Italian where most simply ride the bench. You don't see any attempt to go to Scandinavia,
Eastern Europe, or even S. America. Anyway, these wanderers can always come back to the MLS
claiming they played in Europe.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Cincinnati a beautiful city! I have Uber appointments there for the next couple of years. I will catch some of his games... :thumbs:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

And you WILL BE FIT!

i was at the PNC stadium last saturday, the pace of the game was insane. The MLS is up there now ooooo
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Show us your ticket stub!
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:49 pm

And you WILL BE FIT!

i was at the PNC stadium last saturday, the pace of the game was insane. The MLS is up there now ooooo
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:51 pm Show us your ticket stub!

And you WILL BE FIT!

illiterate, tickets are now sent to mobile devices
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Therefore you cannot show us? Did it disappear from you phone after you used it? We want proof! We are tired of people using mouth to promote themselves. That's how you run kiti kiti run kata kata tell us say you go go Canada go watch Falcons, when you neva go even Galveston. :mad: :mad: :curse: :veryangry:
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:53 pm

And you WILL BE FIT!

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:39 pm

And you WILL BE FIT!

Bro, if you pay attention to those that go overseas it is either of two things... yet to be discovered or those going for greener pastures (more pay).

In the next few years, I suspect it will be the top professional league in the Americas and the best outside Europe..

scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Given all the European league "stars" Nigeria has been calling up for decades, I've yet to see an improvement on the world stage.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:53 pm

And you WILL BE FIT!

:rotf: Unku 1Naira still dey ask for fax number to send tickets.