NPFL/LA LIGA U15 Tournament (2022) - Remo Stars Champions

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
NPFL/LA LIGA U15 Tournament (2022) - Remo Stars Champions

Post by Sunset »

The tournament has been going on for the past week or so and you can find most of the highlights on the LMC's twitter page

Last edited by Sunset on Wed May 11, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NPFL/LA LIGA U15 Tournament (2022)

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lest we forget, this tournament, which I believe was sponsored by one of the top banks for a few years, is what has replaced the U13 and maybe U15 tournaments. So when the chorus about “neglecting youth programmes” starts, somebody should do a quick reminder.
Becos me I don taya to try and bring some balance to the “weeping and wailing and mourning and gnashing of teet” which is the prevailing culture in this place.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:06 am Lest we forget, this tournament, which I believe was sponsored by one of the top banks for a few years, is what has replaced the U13 and maybe U15 tournaments. So when the chorus about “neglecting youth programmes” starts, somebody should do a quick reminder.
Becos me I don taya to try and bring some balance to the “weeping and wailing and mourning and gnashing of teet” which is the prevailing culture in this place.
Thanks. I did not know about it (why so little publicity). And we will wail - 2022 has nit Neen good for us.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:06 am Lest we forget, this tournament, which I believe was sponsored by one of the top banks for a few years, is what has replaced the U13 and maybe U15 tournaments. So when the chorus about “neglecting youth programmes” starts, somebody should do a quick reminder.
Damunk

Correct that this tournament was instituted under the current NFF and intermittent as the current NFF has found it difficult to establish youth teams attached to the clubs. In many cases, the clubs hastily select youngsters around their locale and present them as their teams. In other cases, clubs use existing independent academies to represent them. In essence, a great number of MPFL clubs do not take this program serioysly. I suspect that you are aware of this. This is a far cry from the previous program where periodic camps existed and the effect on performance and productivity for the youth national teams is evident.

In my view, if the NPFL can fix the above issues, this would be a plus. Presently, it is serious work needed ahead.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:13 pm
Damunk

Correct that this tournament was instituted under the current NFF and intermittent as the current NFF has found it difficult to establish youth teams attached to the clubs. In many cases, the clubs hastily select youngsters around their locale and present them as their teams. In other cases, clubs use existing independent academies to represent them. In essence, a great number of MPFL clubs do not take this program serioysly. I suspect that you are aware of this. This is a far cry from the previous program where periodic camps existed and the effect on performance and productivity for the youth national teams is evident.

In my view, if the NPFL can fix the above issues, this would be a plus. Presently, it is serious work needed ahead.

The key thing is sustainability. The approach does not have to be based on NPFL club ownership of youth teams, although that is the global std.

Several years ago I advocated using the preponderance of youth teams in Nigeria as a basis for a national youth program.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

It was not a replacement of those programs rather an additional avenue to help in the selection of players for the U15 teams and further, the neglect issue is with regards to how the NFF is running our "youth national teams" (U17's & U20's).
And last I checked this is an LMC programme, the NFF's role is giving them the okay, and similarly the problem remains the manner in which it's run. I wouldn't describe 2 weeks out of 365 days as much attention for starters and the clear lack of structured progression (i.e there not being an U17 or U20 version as a follow-up) is what defeats the purpose of it.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:38 pm
It was not a replacement of those programs rather an additional avenue to help in the selection of players for the U15 teams and further, the neglect issue is with regards to how the NFF is running our "youth national teams" (U17's & U20's).
And last I checked this is an LMC programme, the NFF's role is giving them the okay, and similarly the problem remains the manner in which it's run. I wouldn't describe 2 weeks out of 365 days as much attention for starters and the clear lack of structured progression (i.e there not being an U17 or U20 version as a follow-up) is what defeats the purpose of it.
If it is an LMC programme, then it may not be a continuation of the tournament I was referring to, which was definitely national and began in the states from what I remember. I doubt it was a 2week affair, considering the qualification process. It was still in existence maybe 2 years ago. Maybe the pandemic scattered it but it was given lots of publicity. The bank obviously put their stamp on it as sponsors and maybe those that didn't want to know didn't know it was a joint programme.
I just want to know the facts which you might be able to shed light on. I clearly recall Pinnick stating a few years ago that there would be less emphasis on "winning (youth) trophies for winning's sake". Those were his exact words which we discussed here at the time and some recognised it as a shift in priorities.

I prefer getting the full picture than just bashing everyone at every opportunity (and I'm not referring to you or anyone in particular). Like I said earlier, I don't think there should be a national U13 or U15 programme for reasons stated. I believe it should be up to the states at that level.

And let's face it, is the money really there and are sponsors ready to fork out the required amount in these financial climes?
Just asking legit questions.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:48 pm
Sunset wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:38 pm
If it is an LMC programme, then it may not be a continuation of the tournament I was referring to, which was definitely national and began in the states from what I remember. I doubt it was a 2week affair, considering the qualification process. It was still in existence maybe 2 years ago. Maybe the pandemic scattered it but it was given lots of publicity. The bank obviously put their stamp on it as sponsors and maybe those that didn't want to know didn't know it was a joint programme.
I just want to know the facts which you might be able to shed light on. I clearly recall Pinnick stating a few years ago that there would be less emphasis on "winning (youth) trophies for winning's sake". Those were his exact words which we discussed here at the time and some recognised it as a shift in priorities.

I prefer getting the full picture than just bashing everyone at every opportunity (and I'm not referring to you or anyone in particular). Like I said earlier, I don't think there should be a national U13 or U15 programme for reasons stated. I believe it should be up to the states at that level.

And let's face it, is the money really there and are sponsors ready to fork out the required amount in these financial climes?
Just asking legit questions.
Seems we are talking about two different things as this is the U13/15 program I know about:

The NPFL U15 Promises on the other hand has been around since 2017 and was initially supposed to be a league but the initiative fell through. It initially started as an all-star team

LMC introduces NPFL U-15 Youth League
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/lmc ... th-league/
December 28, 2016
•declares financial surplus of N483m for 2016

Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clubs will from the coming season raise youth teams for players aged 15 years and below to compete in the new NPFL Youth League. This is even as the League Management Company (LMC) declared a surplus/savings of N483 million in its operations for the 2015/16 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season.

This was contained in the financial report submitted by the Chairman of the LMC, Shehu Dikko and accepted with commendations at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the LMC held in Enugu on Sunday, December 11.

Other high points of the AGM resolution include the approval of the LMC proposal for a Youth League tournament in partnership with LaLiga that all clubs will participate in, the endorsement of a new bonus/incentives structure as proposed by the LMC, approval of the club merchandising proposal by the LMC to deploy part of the clubs’ revenue from source for payment of clubs’ jersey replicas and the election of clubs’ representatives to serve on the LMC Board.

In one of its 22 points resolutions, the AGM made up of the 20 NPFL Clubs, the Nigeria Football Federation and LMC Independent Directors, noted that it received a detailed presentation of the LMC income and expenditure report from the 2015/16 season which was approved at the 2nd AGM in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in February, 2016. It went further to state, “the outline of expenditure report shows actual income receipts for 2016 of N2.831 million as against the N2.112 million expected guaranteed revenues and N4.817 million projected gross revenue while actual expenditure budget for year 2016 stood at N2.347 million as against budgeted expenditure of N3.260 million for the season. The financials for 2016 season therefore show a surplus/savings of N483million which has been carried over to form part of the revenues for the 2016/17 to facilitate early commencement of the season”.

On the Youth League, the AGM resolution noted, “The meeting approved LMC proposal to start a Youth League Competition for U-15 among NPFL participating clubs in association with LaLiga in furtherance of the partnership agreement between the two leagues. The league would be fashioned after the ‘LaLiga Promisas’ with Laliga serving as technical partners”

I'm guessing this is what you're talking about?
https://www.thenff.com/2019/06/nff-zeni ... champions/
The three-day youth football event which was held at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium was concluded on Sunday night. The NFF Youth Football Committee headed by the NFF 1st Vice President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi introduced a new format for the two categories, with the positive implication that the League format ensured all the zones played more games compared to the previous editions.

The six geo-political zones produced two teams (U13 and U15) respectively for the championship to make it 12 teams that participated in the National finals after the Zonal events was held few months ago. Over 200 youth players featured in the tournaments.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

It makes little sense to abandon what worked really well for half-hearted experiments which ultimately fail because the base on which they’re founded is not well funded enough to sustain the effort. The NFF should consider working with secondary schools and higher institutions to revive secondary school football and establish a viable University soccer program. The secondary school program, supplemented with academy football, takes care of our footballing needs upto U-17 level. The university program will provide the base for our over 17 footballing needs❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun May 01, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:47 pm]
I'm guessing this is what you're talking about?
https://www.thenff.com/2019/06/nff-zeni ... champions/
The three-day youth football event which was held at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium was concluded on Sunday night. The NFF Youth Football Committee headed by the NFF 1st Vice President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi introduced a new format for the two categories, with the positive implication that the League format ensured all the zones played more games compared to the previous editions.

The six geo-political zones produced two teams (U13 and U15) respectively for the championship to make it 12 teams that participated in the National finals after the Zonal events was held few months ago. Over 200 youth players featured in the tournaments.
Yes, definitely. Seems it was coordinated on a zonal level. I’m not sure when the last tournament was but I suspect it might have been disrupted for a number of reasons.

Then last year, the NFF Vice Chairman was hosted by us here and this is what he said:
iii. Youth Development
Youth development is his passion and he was proud to speak of the national U13 and U15 programmes now established in every state of the federation. These programmes are now more widespread than ever. He spoke of a policy of de-emphasising the winning of tournaments for a broader approach. The establishment of U13 and U15 programmes hadn’t been an easy sell but they believed it was crucial for the NFF to “keep our eyes on the ball” and focus on the bigger picture. He said the commitment to youth football was unwavering and the U16 teams had gone out for a youth tournament in Japan for consecutive years. Meanwhile, increasingly, fans are beginning to watch youth teams.

He said the NFF have long identified the U20 teams as the problem area. ‘They are half way between academy level and the professional level” but the NFF was convinced that once the U17 problem was fixed then the U20 problem was on the way to being solved. He disputed the fact that youth players were not progressing to the national team, citing Samson Tijani in the male category and Monday Gift and Ijamilusi in the female category as the most recent examples. He pointed out that over 15 players from the U13/U15 level over the last five years had broken into the U17 teams and would only now be coming of age. It wouldn’t be fair to expect them to have broken through just yet.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=304503&p=5673991
I forgot he had said this and it was your post that mentioned him that reminded me. I was going on what Pinnick had said maybe two or three years ago. But it seems the U13 and U15 schemes are still being nurtured nationally. I believe most people measure the success of these youth programmes by how well the teams do on the African and world stages, but let’s be honest, it should be much broader than that.

Talents abound and it’s more important to develop as many of them as possible right from the schools at the local government level rather than focussing on national teams and winning U17 World Cups which can be misleading. Awoniyi, Nwakali and Osimhen have all said in their various ways that they grew up with players “better than me”.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:13 pm
Damunk

Prof, I believe one thing we as Nigerians tend to do is expect a lot of things to work perfectly in an imperfect system as long as we are observing and commenting from afar. We know Nigerians. The problems we have are not limited to institutions and the bigger problem by far is Nigerians themselves.
The challenges you mentioned with the clubs and their youth teams comes down to our value systems as Nigerians. Cheating and a desire to beat the system almost by default.
I don’t think these clubs are held to account often enough and as long as the brunt of the blame goes elsewhere (the NFF), they will continue to cheat the system, and we all suffer for it. I’m sure what you’ve posted isn’t even half the story of what these clubs do to sabotage any good intentions for our football.

Regarding national youth camps, my views are well known and I think the emphasis on national youth teams below 16 isn’t ideal.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:12 amI forgot he had said this and it was your post that mentioned him that reminded me. I was going on what Pinnick had said maybe two or three years ago. But it seems the U13 and U15 schemes are still being nurtured nationally. I believe most people measure the success of these youth programmes by how well the teams do on the African and world stages, but let’s be honest, it should be much broader than that.

Talents abound and it’s more important to develop as many of them as possible right from the schools at the local government level rather than focussing on national teams and winning U17 World Cups which can be misleading. Awoniyi, Nwakali and Osimhen have all said in their various ways that they grew up with players “better than me”.
This part i agree with 100%, i've talked about it before in that its only when there's an U17 tournament that we find out who our biggest talents are in that category. So what would happen to us in the unlikely scenario that FIFA Youth tournaments are suspended indefinitely? I feel that things could be structured in such a way that we wouldn't need to rely on the national teams to know these things at the U17/19/23 levels (Leagues). But I do think for such a model to work best it'll have to be through clubs in the nigerian football pyramid (rather than private academies or state sides) due to a clear destination that is the senior team, its just whats in-between thats the problem (no U17/U19. As some players that were the best in one age group might struggle at a higher one, so imagine what happens to those who go straight to the senior team.

This is one of the reasons a lot of players fall between the cracks in the football journey, take that Sulaimon Lawal kid for example he's turning 19 in a couple of months but has been playing academy-level ball for the past few years, so lets say he joins a European club now he won't be eligible to play for their youth teams anymore and with zero senior-level experience it'll be a struggle fighting for a place in the senior team.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:50 pm This is one of the reasons a lot of players fall between the cracks in the football journey, take that Sulaimon Lawal kid for example he's turning 19 in a couple of months but has been playing academy-level ball for the past few years, so lets say he joins a European club now he won't be eligible to play for their youth teams anymore and with zero senior-level experience it'll be a struggle fighting for a place in the senior team.
Excellent point.
I’ve been wondering what happened to him for a while now.
But he hasn’t even made the U20 team, possibly for the very reasons you’ve stated.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Sunset wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:54 am
Does it make sense to go from U-15 straight to first team, is there not an U-19 or even U-17?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Kai.... what is with Nugeria and basket case keepers? Our goalies seem to get pick up basketry from the womb. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

:oops:
[tweet][/tweet]

The final will be between Remo Stars and Shooting Stars
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

This is Amaju Pinncik's best legacy.. Quality.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NPFL/LA LIGA U15 Tournament (2022) - Remo Stars Champions

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NPFL/LA LIGA U15 Tournament (2022) - Remo Stars Champions

Post by bret- hart »

U17 coaches have no excuse
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:24 amIt makes little sense to abandon what worked really well for half-hearted experiments which ultimately fail because the base on which they’re founded is not well funded enough to sustain the effort. The NFF should consider working with secondary schools and higher institutions to revive secondary school football and establish a viable University soccer program. The secondary school program, supplemented with academy football, takes care of our footballing needs upto U-17 level. The university program will provide the base for our over 17 footballing needs❗️
There's NNPC/Shell Cup (national) and GTBank Masters Cup (Lagos State Principals Cup)...
There's also NUGA Games and HIFL (Higher Institutions Football League) for tertiary institutions.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL