Tosin Adarabioyo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tosin Adarabioyo

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:07 pm
aruako1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:25 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:03 pm
aruako1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:57 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:47 pm
gochino wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:37 pm People don't understand football is more than just having skills. Does he have the passion and motivation to fight for Nigeria on the field? Better to have talented Players that are "fans" of the super eagles. If he eventually decides to play for us, you would see the lack of motivation in his game. Football is played with 90% of the mindset.
Gochino

Do you think those playing for Nigeria now, all considered Nigeria first choice? The answer is no. They choose Nigeria simply because Nigeria provided the gateway for international soccer. It does not mean that they will be less committed.
Iwobi, Ebuehi and Ekong had Nigeria as first choice. The first two were in contention for England and the Netherlands when they chose Nigeria.
Not correct. Iwobi deputed for Nigeria before he even played his first game for Arsenal!!! How then could he have been in contention for the English national team? Ekong was never a major contender for any other national team and neither was Ebuehi before they chose Nigeria. Saka, in reality, could have been the first if he had chosen Nigeria.
Iwobi was a prospect for England and I remember there was some pressure before he played his first competitive game. Ebuehi would definitely have been considered by the Netherlands given his Eredivisie performances (the Dutch do not always go for players in big clubs; otherwise Martins-Indi would not have had a career with them)
Well done for reminding these people who just follow football on CE. :taunt:

England launch last-gasp Alex Iwobi bid as Arsenal starlet's full Nigeria debut looms
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... 597846.amp
:rotf: :rotf: Really, I am supposed to believe the Sun or Daily Mirror, right? Please let me know of how many English internationals gad their debut before ever appearing for their club in a league game? That should tell you something. Ofcourse, Iwobi's later development should make England think just as Victor Moses did but we are talking at the point Nigeria made its move.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 pm
gochino wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:37 pm People don't understand football is more than just having skills. Does he have the passion and motivation to fight for Nigeria on the field? Better to have talented Players that are "fans" of the super eagles. If he eventually decides to play for us, you would see the lack of motivation in his game. Football is played with 90% of the mindset.
Gochino

Do you think those playing for Nigeria now, all considered Nigeria first choice? The answer is no. They choose Nigeria simply because Nigeria provided the gateway for international soccer. It does not mean that they will be less committed.
Iwobi, Ebuehi and Ekong had Nigeria as first choice. The first two were in contention for England and the Netherlands when they chose Nigeria.
Not correct. Iwobi deputed for Nigeria before he even played his first game for Arsenal!!! How then could he have been in contention for the English national team? Ekong was never a major contender for any other national team and neither was Ebuehi before they chose Nigeria. Saka, in reality, could have been the first if he had chosen Nigeria.
Iwobi was a prospect for England and I remember there was some pressure before he played his first competitive game. Ebuehi would definitely have been considered by the Netherlands given his Eredivisie performances (the Dutch do not always go for players in big clubs; otherwise Martins-Indi would not have had a career with them)

England launch last-gasp Alex Iwobi bid as Arsenal starlet's full Nigeria debut looms
:rotf: :rotf: Really, I am supposed to believe the Sun or Daily Mirror, right? Please let me know of how many English internationals gad their debut before ever appearing for their club in a league game? That should tell you something. Ofcourse, Iwobi's later development should make England think just as Victor Moses did but we are talking at the point Nigeria made its move.
Also this is JJs nephew, born in Nigeria, he was always gonna play for Nigeria…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:46 pm This is precisely what I have told Damunk. Tosin's views are not isolated. For most of these guys, Nigeria cannot be the first choice and it is perfectly understandable. Thus far, none of the players that has played for Nigeria was ever a prime choice for England. That is not a surprise. Our best bet is to get a player young and commit the player with the hopes that he blossoms after he is fully tied to Nigeria.

Tosin will eventually play for Nigeria given that his rating does not indicate that he will be seriously considered for England.
EII

The very possibility that Tosin could end up playing for Nigeria in the future is the greatest tragedy that has befallen Nigerian football. How can we harbor genuine aspirations of winning the World Cup when we are fielding players who are playing, not because they really believe Nigeria can win but because they weren’t good enough to play for the team of their choice and now have an opportunity to play in the World Cup❓

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we are much better off developing our own players from the ground up❗️

Cheers.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:07 pm
gochino wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:23 pm
Gochino

Well there is a lack of commitment and fighting spirit in this team and that needs to be eradicated. You can’t tell me that a player won't put more effort for his first choice team? The lack of effort could even be subconcious. I am not just referring to the "born abroad" players but also other players in the team, there could be other factors which subliminally affect their motivation and fighting spirit.
Gochino

I will not disagree on that issue but are you now stating that we should ignore these guys because if they are truly good to play for England or think they are, Nigeria will never be their first choice. So should Nigeria ignore them?
You said in another thread that if we atleast had 4 players like Osimehn in the squad, we would have defeated Ghana. Do you think that a player that we begged to play for us and that reluctantly agreed to play for Nigeria, would put in the effort Osimehn puts in? I don't think so! Players like Dessers and Iwobi look like "fans" of the Super eagles and those are the type of players that should be playing for us.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:07 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:46 pm This is precisely what I have told Damunk. Tosin's views are not isolated. For most of these guys, Nigeria cannot be the first choice and it is perfectly understandable. Thus far, none of the players that has played for Nigeria was ever a prime choice for England. That is not a surprise. Our best bet is to get a player young and commit the player with the hopes that he blossoms after he is fully tied to Nigeria.

Tosin will eventually play for Nigeria given that his rating does not indicate that he will be seriously considered for England.
EII

The very possibility that Tosin could end up playing for Nigeria in the future is the greatest tragedy that has befallen Nigerian football. How can we harbor genuine aspirations of winning the World Cup when we are fielding players who are playing, not because they really believe Nigeria can win but because they weren’t good enough to play for the team of their choice and now have an opportunity to play in the World Cup❓

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we are much better off developing our own players from the ground up❗️

Cheers.
This is no different to Amoebi's case. I was against his inclusion in the WC squad but certain people no gree....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:40 pm
Gochino

Well there is a lack of commitment and fighting spirit in this team and that needs to be eradicated. You can’t tell me that a player won't put more effort for his first choice team? The lack of effort could even be subconcious. I am not just referring to the "born abroad" players but also other players in the team, there could be other factors which subliminally affect their motivation and fighting spirit.
Gochino

I will not disagree on that issue but are you now stating that we should ignore these guys because if they are truly good to play for England or think they are, Nigeria will never be their first choice. So should Nigeria ignore them?
You said in another thread that if we atleast had 4 players like Osimehn in the squad, we would have defeated Ghana. Do you think that a player that we begged to play for us and that reluctantly agreed to play for Nigeria, would put in the effort Osimehn puts in? I don't think so! Players like Dessers and Iwobi look like "fans" of the Super eagles and those are the type of players that should be playing for us.
Actually,players like Osimhen do not play like that because they are born and bred in Nigeria. They play like that because of who they are, it is ingrained, it is like personality. There are players who are born and bred like Nigeria who will simply not be combative. Adarabioyo, BTW, is Osimhen-like, he gives his all and at times it gets him into trouble.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Gochino

The point is that he could have ultimately chosen England ahead of Nigeria and England would have picked him.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

aruako1 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:37 pm

Gochino

The point is that he could have ultimately chosen England ahead of Nigeria and England would have picked him.
No, they were just trying to delay his choice to see how his career panned out. He was on a path to eventually make the first team squad if he kept that upward trajectory. But not that he would have actually made the first team at that time esp on hindsight based on how his career ended up going sha…he’s lucky he chose SE lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:31 pm
gochino wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:40 pm
Gochino

Gochino

Actually,players like Osimhen do not play like that because they are born and bred in Nigeria. They play like that because of who they are, it is ingrained, it is like personality. There are players who are born and bred like Nigeria who will simply not be combative. Adarabioyo, BTW, is Osimhen-like, he gives his all and at times it gets him into trouble.
I never said that, I gave examples of Iwobi and possibly Dessers, both where not raised in Nigeria. If we "force" Adarabioyo to play for Nigeria, despite the fact he has stated several times that he prefers England, or lets just say he decides to play for us because he couldn't make it in his first choice team, England, there would be a high probability that he won't be that motivated to play that way for us. My point is that we should focus on players that are ready to fight on the pitch, playing for your country should be a privilege.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

gochino wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:00 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:31 pm Actually, players like Osimhen do not play like that because they are born and bred in Nigeria. They play like that because of who they are, it is ingrained, it is like personality. There are players who are born and bred like Nigeria who will simply not be combative. Adarabioyo, BTW, is Osimhen-like, he gives his all and at times it gets him into trouble.
I never said that, I gave examples of Iwobi and possibly Dessers, both where not raised in Nigeria. If we "force" Adarabioyo to play for Nigeria, despite the fact he has stated several times that he prefers England, or lets just say he decides to play for us because he couldn't make it in his first choice team, England, there would be a high probability that he won't be that motivated to play that way for us. My point is that we should focus on players that are ready to fight on the pitch, playing for your country should be a privilege.
Gochino, I beg to differ on motivation.

These are professional athletes and by nature they are highly competitive, no matter who they are playing for, or where. That desire to win is ingrained. Watch Iwobi playing with his old mates in a local 5-a-side. His desire to win was just as fierce as playing at the World Cup. :rotf:

Players can get disillusioned or demotivated for various reasons but to believe that it is more likely than not that a player goes into a team and doesn't give his best suggests a serious personality flaw on the part of the player. Yes, like Prof rightly said, some players are more aggressive than others but that is a lot down to personality differences, not commitment.

It comes with the territory that players get transferred between teams, not always to their delight. Sometimes even against their will. But wherever they find themselves, they give their all. Its not to their credit if they are seen to have a wrong attitude.So this assumption that any player that first chooses England over Naija but doesn't get picked will then only give a half-hearted commitment to Nigeria is a big fallacy that isn't backed by anything but pure speculation. I doubt there is sufficient evidence anywhere to support that notion that a player that gets transferred out of his favourite club will not give his full commitment to his new one.

Adarabioye, despite my frustrations that the guy is holding out for an England spot, is a pure professional. He could easily have dumped Fulham last season when they were relegated, but decided to stay with them and fight their way back, which they successfully did. Even now, there are Premiership teams after him but I won't be surprised if he stays with Fulham. My point is, these guys are by default fighters and once they find themselves in a situation, whether by accident or design, they will play their normal game wherever it may be.

This is a game they first and foremost love and want to excel in. Bring it on.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Is this really an issue when we have the likes of:
Awaziem, Ozornwafor, Igoh Ogbu, Calvin Bassey, Michael Ologo to name a few as current and future options in our talent pool
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Sunset wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm Is this really an issue when we have the likes of:
Awaziem, Ozornwafor, Igoh Ogbu, Calvin Bassey, Michael Ologo to name a few as current and future options in our talent pool
Lamborghini and mini minor na car o!
I am happy
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Dammy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:37 pm
Sunset wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm Is this really an issue when we have the likes of:
Well a Lamborghini without fuel is useless
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:37 pm
True. But there is no evidence there is no fuel. It’s more like the Lamborghini is somehow stuck on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong direction. :lol:
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:06 pm
True. But there is no evidence there is no fuel. It’s more like the Lamborghini is somehow stuck on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong direction. :lol:
Not really... Maybe you're in denial but its clear as day he's not interested in playing for us even despite being an afterthought in the English talent pool. Kudos to him as that's a lot of self-belief but let's not act like we don't have equally/more talented players in our ranks
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:39 pm

Damunk, it's time to move on. :D
Best of luck to the young man.

I hope he realizes his dreams of playing for England.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:06 pm
Not really... Maybe you're in denial but its clear as day he's not interested in playing for us even despite being an afterthought in the English talent pool. Kudos to him as that's a lot of self-belief but let's not act like we don't have equally/more talented players in our ranks
Speculatively, every statement is true.
In reality, you need to name names.
I think the real denial here is that we don’t need a player of his quality.
Yeah, Omeruo and Ekong are streets ahead, right? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:46 pm
I don't know how you missed it but if scroll up "these names" are literally in my initial post.
The point is he's talented but if he isn't committed as he has shown I wouldn't lose sleep knowing we have these options.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:19 pm
I don't know how you missed it but if scroll up "these names" are literally in my initial post.
The point is he's talented but if he isn't committed as he has shown I wouldn't lose sleep knowing we have these options.
I saw the Ozonwafor, Awaziem group you mentioned. I actually have great hopes for Ozone. He hasn't lived up to my expectations just yet but I haven't lost hope. Awaziem is an enigma and I really don't know what's going wrong with him.
But I don't see how you can categorically claim they are the "more talented players in our ranks".
They can't even dislodge Omeruo and Ekong from the team!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:40 pm
Sunset wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:19 pm

I saw the Ozonwafor, Awaziem group you mentioned. I actually have great hopes for Ozone. He hasn't lived up to my expectations just yet but I haven't lost hope. Awaziem is an enigma and I really don't know what's going wrong with him.
But I don't see how you can categorically claim they are the "more talented players in our ranks".
They can't even dislodge Omeruo and Ekong from the team!
Well that is my opinion, we're all entitled to one and before his injury Awaziem was our best defender by far in all aspects of his game. The injury derailed his season but i'm sure he'll get back to his best very soon.
While my biggest issue with Ozornwafor was his lack of Playing time at club level but now that he has been getting that has improved a whole lot since his time with Almeria, even going above my expectations with his levels of consistence. I slightly even rate Igoh Ogbu higher than him, that was his partner at the U20 AFCON who is arguably the best defender in the Norwegian league.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Describing Awaziem's case as enigmatic is :clap: :clap: I have always wondered about his case. I strongly believe he is a better defender than either Ekong or Balogun. He is the best ball playing center back that we have.... very comfortable on the ball. I suspect that he could not break through because Rohr was comfortable with the pairing that he had and because that is really the spine of the team it is risky making changes. That fits exactly Rohr as a risk-averse individual. Unfortunately for Awaziem, his injury at the last AFCON derailed a great opportunity to break through particularly with a new Manager and the absence of Balogun.

Back to the central issue, in my view guys like Adarabioyo should not be expected to declare Nigeria as first choice. I have written why on many other threads. In my view, I will take him whenever he is ready and is still capable. Why not? If we do not have guys that are better, why reject him. This guy clearly will make our team. It is not like some other guys that we have invited that aren't really the part.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Why is this even news? I don’t believe we have tried to get him to play for us. CE just kept an eye on him because he was coming through at City.

I laugh sometimes when ppl say we get rejects from other countries to play for us though. Most of our dual nationals were capped at age grade levels. They had been part of their other country’s set up before coming to us, they are not bang average players looking for a final solution to their international careers as some had alluded to here. Victor Moses was a big get for us and Iwobi would have been an England international after he broke through at L’Arse.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 am Why is this even news? I don’t believe we have tried to get him to play for us. CE just kept an eye on him because he was coming through at City.

I laugh sometimes when ppl say we get rejects from other countries to play for us though. Most of our dual nationals were capped at age grade levels. They had been part of their other country’s set up before coming to us, they are not bang average players looking for a final solution to their international careers as some had alluded to here. Victor Moses was a big get for us and Iwobi would have been an England international after he broke through at L’Arse.
The whole ‘R’ word is just a way to denigrate the players for their personal decisions they are quite entitled to make.
One man’s reject is another man’s star, as long as they are not on the same level.
The number of Brazilian ‘rejects’ that have gone on to play for other countries including Spain, Italy, Mexico and Croatia amongst numerous others is probably unprecedented.
Na we like to dey do yanga, stuck in a mentality that is 20 years out of date.