Was it right to dump Uzoho?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Was it right to dump Uzoho?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Uzoho was left out of the coming friendlies for other Goalies to get a chance. While I understand the need to try new talent, Is it right to punish him for thev mistake v Ghana ?

I think this is an overreaction once again by the coaching staff. Despite his error, Uzoho is a goalie we know well, he has done well for us at the WC and at Afcon. We all know he's a better goalie than the one that committed the error. Imho, he should've been selected but not start the game.

Going into WC 2018 we didn't have a reliable goalie until Rohr gave him a chance and he did well. Infact, Akpeyi's calamitous error in the Argentina friendly further cemented Uzoho as No 1.

If we've been grooming a goalie for over 4yrs and he makes a mistake, do we just discard him just like that? What happens when the next goalie makes his error?

Imho, Uzoho was not treated fairly.
OCCUPY NFF!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Was it right to dump Uzoho?

Post by jette1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:35 pm Uzoho was left out of the coming friendlies for other Goalies to get a chance. While I understand the need to try new talent, Is it right to punish him for thev mistake v Ghana ?

I think this is an overreaction once again by the coaching staff. Despite his error, Uzoho is a goalie we know well, he has done well for us at the WC and at Afcon. We all know he's a better goalie than the one that committed the error. Imho, he should've been selected but not start the game.

Going into WC 2018 we didn't have a reliable goalie until Rohr gave him a chance and he did well. Infact, Akpeyi's calamitous error in the Argentina friendly further cemented Uzoho as No 1.

If we've been grooming a goalie for over 4yrs and he makes a mistake, do we just discard him just like that? What happens when the next goalie makes his error?

You keep saying we, we , did you consult us before you project your personal opinion on the so called WE.
No we don’t know him and he really hasn’t done a thing in SE jersey
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

jette1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:35 pm Uzoho was left out of the coming friendlies for other Goalies to get a chance. While I understand the need to try new talent, Is it right to punish him for thev mistake v Ghana ?

You keep saying we, we , did you consult us before you project your personal opinion on the so called WE.

In this context, on this forum, "We" means the SE management, adminstrators , fans, the collective. You understand very well when Arsenal and Chalsea fans say "We" , but you plead ignorant when it's about a SE topic you don't like.

Did WE not DNQ for the WC?
Did WE not get knocked da f.. outa Afcon?
Did WE not score 1 pk goal in 270 mins?

Hope you understand who "WE" are now.
OCCUPY NFF!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm

In this context, on this forum, "We" means the SE management, adminstrators , fans, the collective. You understand very well when Arsenal and Chalsea fans say "We" , but you plead ignorant when it's about a SE topic you don't like.

My point is that we don’t share your insinuation that Uzoho has done well in SE Jersey until the ghana game. Please recount his body of works in SE Jersey. Fact is uzoho played a total of ONE single exceptional 2nd half game (not even a full) against Argentina before the start of World Cup in Russia when he came on for Apkei in second half. That was the only game anyone can truly say he did exceptionally well. And that game was the sole reason everyone felt we found a keeper and Akpei lost his starting position as a result. When eventually eventually World Cup started he was anything but exceptional, he was woefully below par and in fact he was the reason we chopped the equalizer against Argentina with only a minute to go. Apkei would have easily stopped all the goal uzoho chopped in Russia. That essentially was uzoho history in SE Jersey until we met ghana. Do you think ROHR ditched him for no reason one he discovered Madukaokoye. Before you go arguing that his injury is the reason madukaokoye took over think again because ROHR knew there is no way he is going to risk uzoho again. Had ROHR been there for the ghana game Apkei would have been in goal in the absence of okoye for such a crucial match
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

I think you may be jumping to precipitous conclusions here...
I think it's just a numbers game, rather than Uzoho being "discarded".
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I did say that was likely his last game for the SE. The howler was very similar to that of Dele Aiyenugba in 2011 who was never called up for the SE again even though he was technically the #2 at that time behind Enyeama.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

How can anyone conclude that Uzoho has been dumped? Has he been in goal regularly for his club since the Ghana game? Is he inured? Could he have asked to be left out? Does anyone have the answers?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:13 am

My point is that we don’t share your insinuation that Uzoho has done well in SE Jersey until the ghana game. Please recount his body of works in SE Jersey. Fact is uzoho played a total of ONE single exceptional 2nd half game (not even a full) against Argentina before the start of World Cup in Russia when he came on for Apkei in second half. That was the only game anyone can truly say he did exceptionally well. And that game was the sole reason everyone felt we found a keeper and Akpei lost his starting position as a result. When eventually eventually World Cup started he was anything but exceptional, he was woefully below par and in fact he was the reason we chopped the equalizer against Argentina with only a minute to go. Apkei would have easily stopped all the goal uzoho chopped in Russia. That essentially was uzoho history in SE Jersey until we met ghana. Do you think ROHR ditched him for no reason one he discovered Madukaokoye. Before you go arguing that his injury is the reason madukaokoye took over think again because ROHR knew there is no way he is going to risk uzoho again. Had ROHR been there for the ghana game Apkei would have been in goal in the absence of okoye for such a crucial match

What about the friendlies against Brazil & Ukraine just after AFCON 2019? What about the 1st leg against Libya in Uyo during the 2019 World Cup qualifier where he made a point plank save off a close header to preserve our cleansheet. Uzoho had the badluck of that serious injury during the Brazil game, that kept him out for almost a year otherwise he would have cemented the No1 spot.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

I think people are missing the point. As a sportsman, you are paid lots of money to perform under pressure. Forget the error against Ghana, Uzoho in that match was as nervous as a virgin girl on her wedding night! Secondly, this is a friendly match, if we can't test other players and Keepers here, then were should we do it?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

They both have strengths and weaknesses, but overall I would take Akpeyi over Uzoho.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Neither Uzoho nor Okoye lost games by their individual selves. Blaming any player for
one mistake in a game is not being realistic in team sports. If only the rest of the team
had done their parts to rescue the match, same fans would have forgotten what error
one person committed. Players need encouragement and not being rubbished for single
errors.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

joao wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 pm Neither Uzoho nor Okoye lost games by their individual selves. Blaming any player for
one mistake in a game is not being realistic in team sports. If only the rest of the team
had done their parts to rescue the match, same fans would have forgotten what error
one person committed. Players need encouragement and not being rubbished for single
errors.
Joao,

While I agree with you, a team is ultimately as strong as its weakest link. Strengthen that weak link, the team may be strengthened as well. That is the bottom line. This is not to state that it is wise to dump a player for just a mistake but it must be clear that the goalkeeping department is piss poor and action must be taken whether now on in the future.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

IDGAF!!!! Was it right for Uzoho to humiliate me in front of my Ghanaian friends? abeg abeg abeg! :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Enugu II wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:59 pm
joao wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 pm Neither Uzoho nor Okoye lost games by their individual selves. Blaming any player for
errors.
Joao,

While I agree with you, a team is ultimately as strong as its weakest link. Strengthen that weak link, the team may be strengthened as well. That is the bottom line. This is not to state that it is wise to dump a player for just a mistake but it must be clear that the goalkeeping department is piss poor and action must be taken whether now on in the future.
I appreciate your perspective but when I look at the whole team, I simply don't see the GK
position as the weakest link. That argument is not tenable when one considers that the team
played 270 minutes of football and scored only a PK, with the goalies suffering the brunt of
excuses on why the team lost matches during those three matches. If truth be told the goalies
made some saves that helped keep our defeats respectable.
In my view, the whole team needs a re-shuffle along with a mindset re-conditioning which should
instill collective focus on the agenda, plus on-filed discipline. Players should not be doing anything
during a match that is outside the collective - like frolicking about and ball hugging.
Again, the game is past mere talent, as most teams have these. It's all about game day team
mentality and execution of purpose.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

joao wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:28 am
errors.
Joao,

I appreciate your perspective but when I look at the whole team, I simply don't see the GK
position as the weakest link. That argument is not tenable when one considers that the team
played 270 minutes of football and scored only a PK, with the goalies suffering the brunt of
excuses on why the team lost matches during those three matches. If truth be told the goalies
In my view, the whole team needs a re-shuffle along with a mindset re-conditioning which should
instill collective focus on the agenda, plus on-filed discipline. Players should not be doing anything
during a match that is outside the collective - like frolicking about and ball hugging.
Again, the game is past mere talent, as most teams have these. It's all about game day team
The goalies made routine saves, please stop it abeg…this rewriting of history is so annoying…the opposing keepers in Tunisia (Moses point blank shot) and both Ghana games (Moses’ shot, Baloguns header) made better saves. I don’t get why anyone would say we don’t have an issue at the GK position. It’s like you are insulting our joint intelligence with that BS.
Last edited by maceo4 on Thu May 12, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Right now, that numero uno GK position is up for grabs, none of our GKs right now has comfortably staked a claim to be annointed as our no 1...based on form Maduka is still "that guy", but I'm far from convinced he's fully ready to man that post for Nigeria.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

maceo4 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:41 am
errors.
Joao,

The goalies made routine saves, please stop it abeg…this rewriting of history is so annoying…the opposing keepers in Tunisia (Moses point blank shot) and both Ghana games (Moses’ shot, Baloguns header) made better saves. I don’t get why anyone would say we don’t have an issue at the GK position. It’s like you are insulting our joint intelligence with that BS.
Please note that I am not absolving the GKs of blame, but simply not agreeing
that they are the main culprits for the team failures. If you disagree, simply state
how other 'parts' of the team deserve to be excused for the losses. In short, the midfield
and attack were quite unproductive. No argument can be made for 270 minutes with no goal
except a PK.

― Chris Hedges
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

joao wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 am
maceo4 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:41 am
errors.
Joao,

Please note that I am not absolving the GKs of blame, but simply not agreeing
that they are the main culprits for the team failures. If you disagree, simply state
how other 'parts' of the team deserve to be excused for the losses. In short, the midfield
and attack were quite unproductive. No argument can be made for 270 minutes with no goal
except a PK.
But Ghanas midfield and attack were even less productive than ours (just look at the stats - shots, shots on goal etc). However they got the result they needed because their goalie didn’t let in any howlers instead saved one v ones and they are going to the WC because of that. We are a better overall team than Ghana as showed in both leg, but there was a clear difference in the GK aspect which is what saw them through…That said, of course we need to improve our attack, but we would have gotten the result we needed with the ‘little’ we created, if our keeper could have just made a routine save…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

joao wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 am Please note that I am not absolving the GKs of blame, but simply not agreeing
except a PK.
When you have closely matched teams, the goalkeeper can be the one that makes the difference. The whole idea of outscoring your opponent regardless of goalkeeper howlers only applies to playing small teams. The goalkeeper becomes more important as the quality of the opposition rises. Senegal won the AFCON because of the great saves of Mendy even though they weren’t scoring that many goals. Cameroon would have chopped 3 goals in Algeria if it wasn't for Onana. So, the goalkeeping role becomes a lot more important as the stakes rise because one small mistake can be the difference between winning and losing.

If we hadn't conceded that early goal, Ghana would have played a different game completely. They wouldn't have parked the bus with 5 defenders, and we may have scored more goals. So, the goalie's actions can change the shape of the game too.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Every position on the SE should be up for grabs.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oscar52 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm Every position on the SE should be up for grabs.
Kpom.
You keep your position solely by being consistently better than your direct competition.
The only person that comes close to that IMHO is Ndidi.
That’s why I think he should be Captain.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Well this is only for the friendlies so maybe we should wait and see the squad for the qualifiers proper as he did play both games against Ghana where his 2nd leg howler really overshadowed how well he played in the 1st game.

Adewale Adeyinka is IMO the best GK in the league if we go by performances for the past 2 seasons, I know that if he didn't get ruled out of the U17 World Cup in 2013 Alampasu & Uzoho would've been pushed down the pecking order.

Olorunleke Ojo is an upgrade over Noble but still isn't someone i'd feel comfortable with even being on the bench for the National team. It's like one GK slot is reserved for an Enyimba player regardless of their performance.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:11 pm
oscar52 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm Every position on the SE should be up for grabs.
Kpom.
You keep your position solely by being consistently better than your direct competition.
The only person that comes close to that IMHO is Ndidi.
That’s why I think he should be Captain.
I don’t think so. Ndidi has not being the same players in about 18 months. Some Leicester fans think that the injuries are catching up to him and some think it’s because the coach wants him to be the ‘destroyer’ and to advance & join the attack. Ndidi is not box-to-box yet. Lately he’s prone to giving away penalties & free kicks in dangerous area**wink wink Algeria game* Every SE position is def up for grabs.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .