Was it right to dump Uzoho?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Was it right to dump Uzoho?

Post by Gotti »

Sunset wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:38 pmWell this is only for the friendlies so maybe we should wait and see the squad for the qualifiers proper as he did play both games against Ghana where his 2nd leg howler really overshadowed how well he played in the 1st game.

Adewale Adeyinka is IMO the best GK in the league if we go by performances for the past 2 seasons, I know that if he didn't get ruled out of the U17 World Cup in 2013 Alampasu & Uzoho would've been pushed down the pecking order.

Olorunleke Ojo is an upgrade over Noble but still isn't someone i'd feel comfortable with even being on the bench for the National team. It's like one GK slot is reserved for an Enyimba player regardless of their performance.
Spot on! Imputed the same a few months ago (below) when I was discussing with one of Rohr's apparent shills @metalalloy regarding Rohr's recurring call ups of Ezenwa and Noble - even when they were not starting for their clubs.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=307094&p=5730636
Gotti wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:32 pmMeanwhile, if being "tall" was the principal reason for calling up GKs (even dodgy ones), why not call up someone like ex-youth international Adewale Adeyinka, who is taller than Ezenwa, Noble and Yakubu - and who set the all-time NPFL record with 16 (sixteen) clean sheets last season!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:49 am
Damunk wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:11 pm
oscar52 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm Every position on the SE should be up for grabs.
Kpom.
You keep your position solely by being consistently better than your direct competition.
The only person that comes close to that IMHO is Ndidi.
That’s why I think he should be Captain.
I don’t think so. Ndidi has not being the same players in about 18 months. Some Leicester fans think that the injuries are catching up to him and some think it’s because the coach wants him to be the ‘destroyer’ and to advance & join the attack. Ndidi is not box-to-box yet. Lately he’s prone to giving away penalties & free kicks in dangerous area**wink wink Algeria game* Every SE position is def up for grabs.
Damunk is possibly correct on Ndidi as far as SE is concerned. However, the non-invitation of Uzoho is clearly a sign. It is not like Uzoho asked for a break. The error in that Ghana game is possibly a consideration. I think this is an opportunity to try out other options. Okoye is possibly going to be watched closely as well. This is his trial. That department just needs to be better. It is clearly an issue. See also the midfield not only in terms of the loading on the list but some names on it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:23 am
oscar52 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm Every position on the SE should be up for grabs.
Kpom.
You keep your position solely by being consistently better than your direct competition.
I don’t think so. Ndidi has not being the same players in about 18 months. Some Leicester fans think that the injuries are catching up to him and some think it’s because the coach wants him to be the ‘destroyer’ and to advance & join the attack. Ndidi is not box-to-box yet. Lately he’s prone to giving away penalties & free kicks in dangerous area**wink wink Algeria game* Every SE position is def up for grabs.
Damunk is possibly correct on Ndidi as far as SE is concerned. However, the non-invitation of Uzoho is clearly a sign. It is not like Uzoho asked for a break. The error in that Ghana game is possibly a consideration. I think this is an opportunity to try out other options. Okoye is possibly going to be watched closely as well. This is his trial. That department just needs to be better. It is clearly an issue. See also the midfield not only in terms of the loading on the list but some names on it.
I’m down with Ndidi as captain if it means we are officially done with Musa but to say his position is safe, that I can’t agree with. Ndidi lacks ball skills and his long distance shooting which uses to be an asset is no longer there.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 pm
Kpom.
I’m down with Ndidi as captain if it means we are officially done with Musa but to say his position is safe, that I can’t agree with. Ndidi lacks ball skills and his long distance shooting which uses to be an asset is no longer there.
The point is that bar Osimhen, no one else on SE has a safer position than Ndidi. Yes, he has issues such as those you mentioned but who on the SE does not have weaknesses? The SE is not a team with the world's best footballers. We have to be realistic. This team is barely above average compared to a lot of teams in the world.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Nothing pesin no go hear for CE. What does having ball skills got to do with the position Ndidi plays?

Ndidi is a leader... you folks wonder about us not being able to beat Ghana home or away when it matter most... we had no leader capable of willing the players to victory. If we had another Victor Osimhen, maybe.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:09 pm
Kpom.
The point is that bar Osimhen, no one else on SE has a safer position than Ndidi. Yes, he has issues such as those you mentioned but who on the SE does not have weaknesses? The SE is not a team with the world's best footballers. We have to be realistic. This team is barely above average compared to a lot of teams in the world.
My broda I’m not saying to discard Ndidi. What I’m saying is that the current Ndidi is not the same player he used to be. If you watch Leicester games before his injury, Rodgers was substituting him later in games even matches they were leading. He was giving away penalties and was mistiming tackles that could have got him red carded. I’m an Ndidi fan but I’m not sure he would’ve made a difference in that Ghana match.

Ndidi is a starter material but if I’m coaching a match that I need to score enough goals to win on aggregate , I’m not sure I’ll start him due to tactical reasons if I have other options.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Cellular wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Nothing pesin no go hear for CE. What does having ball skills got to do with the position Ndidi plays?

Ndidi is a leader... you folks wonder about us not being able to beat Ghana home or away when it matter most... we had no leader capable of willing the players to victory. If we had another Victor Osimhen, maybe.
Bros, you’re missing the point. I’ll vote for Ndidi as captain but you want to tell me that he’s a better leader than Balogun & Ekong? Ekong is a leader on and off the court even though I don’t think he should be a starter and Balogun is old & slow. No player could’ve willed that team assembled last minute with an inept coach to victory.

I’m saying the days of players thinking they’ve earned the right to be a starter no matter who we are playing should be over. Let’s just say we find ourselves in a World Cup playoff against Ethiopia like we did a few years ago, say hypothetically, we drew 1-1 in naija and we need to go to Adisababa for the return leg. Will you start Ndidi if you have an offensive minded DM or CM on the team?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Cellular wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Ball skills are arguably the most important aspect for someone in the centre of midfield boss, with that he wouldn't have to make as much tackles as he does, he's a leader no doubt but lets not forget he played that game against Tunisia and was overwhelmed by their pressure in the middle
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

packerland wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 pmI’m down with Ndidi as captain if it means we are officially done with Musa but to say his position is safe, that I can’t agree with. Ndidi lacks ball skills and his long distance shooting which uses to be an asset is no longer there.
Sunset wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:43 pmBall skills are arguably the most important aspect for someone in the centre of midfield boss, with that he wouldn't have to make as much tackles as he does, he's a leader no doubt but lets not forget he played that game against Tunisia and was overwhelmed by their pressure in the middle
Ndidi is definitely no JJ Okocha...
But he definitely has more than enough "ball skills" for his role.

Btw, his role is NOT in the "centre of midfield" (cue Aribo)...
But rather in a primarily defensive role protecting the Back-4.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

packerland wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:56 pmBros, you’re missing the point. I’ll vote for Ndidi as captain but you want to tell me that he’s a better leader than Balogun & Ekong? Ekong is a leader on and off the court even though I don’t think he should be a starter and Balogun is old & slow. No player could’ve willed that team assembled last minute with an inept coach to victory.
Nope, he ain't!
Off-field leadership is more than getting "likes" from YouTube videos (though I personally love his SE videos).

On-field, Ekong is often a mess, which hampers leadership of others...
Balogun and Ndidi are much better on-field leaders, but Balogun sounds like he won't put up with the NFF's BS!

Frankly, the current captaincy duo is the poorest the SE have had in a while...
Bless Musa, who seems a gentleman but is no leader, and who (with Ekong) should NOT be in the current SE squad.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

packerland wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:45 pmMy broda I’m not saying to discard Ndidi. What I’m saying is that the current Ndidi is not the same player he used to be. If you watch Leicester games before his injury, Rodgers was substituting him later in games even matches they were leading. He was giving away penalties and was mistiming tackles that could have got him red carded. I’m an Ndidi fan but I’m not sure he would’ve made a difference in that Ghana match.
Nope, he wasn't... :shock:

In an injury-wracked season, he started 18 (of 19) games and was subbed off only TWICE.
He also conceded PKs TWICE all season (by way of comparison, Tielemans conceded TWO PKs in ONE game)!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Gotti wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:46 am
packerland wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 pmI’m down with Ndidi as captain if it means we are officially done with Musa but to say his position is safe, that I can’t agree with. Ndidi lacks ball skills and his long distance shooting which uses to be an asset is no longer there.
Sunset wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:43 pmBall skills are arguably the most important aspect for someone in the centre of midfield boss, with that he wouldn't have to make as much tackles as he does, he's a leader no doubt but lets not forget he played that game against Tunisia and was overwhelmed by their pressure in the middle

I'm not expecting him to be an Okocha or even an Obi Mikel in that aspect was just hoping he were even slightly above average in that part to his game, but if that were the case he'd already be at one of big teams as we speak. And when I say centre of midfield i'm referring to anyone that occupies any of the central roles (i.e not wingers) there DM, CM, AM where how good you are with the ball is most effective regardless of the situation in the match.
He'd probably be a better fit at CB if we want to get the best out of him.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sunset wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:39 pmI'm not expecting him to be an Okocha or even an Obi Mikel in that aspect was just hoping he were even slightly above average in that part to his game, but if that were the case he'd already be at one of big teams as we speak. And when I say centre of midfield i'm referring to anyone that occupies any of the central roles (i.e not wingers) there DM, CM, AM where how good you are with the ball is most effective regardless of the situation in the match.
Ndidi completes about 83% of his passes (OPTA, Whoscored)...
That's more than 4 out of every attempted pass in the BUSIEST part of the field.

His primary role is to DISRUPT the opponent's possession, win tackles and quickly move the ball to more creative players.
Don't bother myself with stuff like "big teams" as Tielemans who plays alongside Ndidi is a starter for Belgium (#2 ranked NT).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Uzoho's exclusion is totally wrong! Imho he should be our 1st Goalkeeper. He did a mistake against Ghana, like Okoye did against Tunisia in the AFCON and Sierra Leone during the qualifiers. Why only Uzoho has been dropped? The NFF applied two different criterias for two different players. If the aim was to try new Goalkeepers, why hasn't Adebayo Adeleye been called up? Or also why not Osigwe? Among the two new goalkeeper if i can accept Adewale Adeyinka, i can' say the same about Ojo Olorunleke who absolutely didn't show anything special to deserve the call-up, even Kayode Bankole could have been called instead of him!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Gotti wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:39 am
Sunset wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:39 pmI'm not expecting him to be an Okocha or even an Obi Mikel in that aspect was just hoping he were even slightly above average in that part to his game, but if that were the case he'd already be at one of big teams as we speak. And when I say centre of midfield i'm referring to anyone that occupies any of the central roles (i.e not wingers) there DM, CM, AM where how good you are with the ball is most effective regardless of the situation in the match.
That's more than 4 out of every attempted pass in the BUSIEST part of the field.

His primary role is to DISRUPT the opponent's possession, win tackles and quickly move the ball to more creative players.
Don't bother myself with stuff like "big teams" as Tielemans who plays alongside Ndidi is a starter for Belgium (#2 ranked NT).
That's not really an impressive stat for someone whose role you describe is "to quickly move the ball to the more creative players" as he's taking far less risks with his passes no? Leicester generally play a 3 man midfield to accommodate this, but when he plays for the SE it's mostly in a 2 man midfield where more is required of the two and they share a similar burden where they have to be well-rounded player. And that's wrt the main issue here ball skills: distribution, retention & controlling the pace of a game! Tackling is nice and all but a player wouldn't have to make as much of them if they simply controlled the game, it's moreso the result of ones inability to control the game more times.

I'm not sure what Tielemans has to do with this but just because one starts for the #2 ranked NT won't change the fact they have deficiencies in their game, its how you accommodate it.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Gotti wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:46 am

Chief Gotti, please, edumacate dem.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Sunset wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 pm
Gotti wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:39 am

That's not really an impressive stat for someone whose role you describe is "to quickly move the ball to the more creative players" as he's taking far less risks with his passes no? Leicester generally play a 3 man midfield to accommodate this, but when he plays for the SE it's mostly in a 2 man midfield where more is required of the two and they share a similar burden where they have to be well-rounded player. And that's wrt the main issue here ball skills: distribution, retention & controlling the pace of a game! Tackling is nice and all but a player wouldn't have to make as much of them if they simply controlled the game, it's moreso the result of ones inability to control the game more times.

I'm not sure what Tielemans has to do with this but just because one starts for the #2 ranked NT won't change the fact they have deficiencies in their game, its how you accommodate it.
Ndidi can't be compared to Okocha but he is definitely a primary player for us! he is our best midfielder, and imo he has the features to be our Captain, but oddly it's Troost-Ekong!

A player that reminds me Okocha's style is Eberechi Eze! We must convince him to play for Super Eagles, there isn't any other player ni Nigeria like him, he would be our n.10!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

jette1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:35 pm Uzoho was left out of the coming friendlies for other Goalies to get a chance. While I understand the need to try new talent, Is it right to punish him for thev mistake v Ghana ?

I think this is an overreaction once again by the coaching staff. Despite his error, Uzoho is a goalie we know well, he has done well for us at the WC and at Afcon. We all know he's a better goalie than the one that committed the error. Imho, he should've been selected but not start the game.

Going into WC 2018 we didn't have a reliable goalie until Rohr gave him a chance and he did well. Infact, Akpeyi's calamitous error in the Argentina friendly further cemented Uzoho as No 1.

If we've been grooming a goalie for over 4yrs and he makes a mistake, do we just discard him just like that? What happens when the next goalie makes his error?

Imho, Uzoho was not treated fairly.
You keep saying we, we , did you consult us before you project your personal opinion on the so called WE.
No we don’t know him and he really hasn’t done a thing in SE jersey
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sunset wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 pmI'm not sure what Tielemans has to do with this but just because one starts for the #2 ranked NT won't change the fact they have deficiencies in their game, its how you accommodate it.
What it has to do with this is that you don't have to play for a "big team" to be a top-notch player...
Meanwhile, even Messi has deficiencies, so do not get why perfection should be the enemy of very good in Ndidi's case.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Gotti wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:33 am
Sunset wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 pmI'm not sure what Tielemans has to do with this but just because one starts for the #2 ranked NT won't change the fact they have deficiencies in their game, its how you accommodate it.
What it has to do with this is that you don't have to play for a "big team" to be a top-notch player...
Meanwhile, even Messi has deficiencies, so do not get why perfection should be the enemy of very good in Ndidi's case.
No where did I say he wasn't a "top-notch" player, so if you can find where that was said let me know as well as this quest for "perfection". All I did was point out a clear weakness in his game which is probably the reason he isn't at a "top" team right now. Everybody has one deficiency or the other but the issue is when it's glaring, i'm a big fan of him but I'm not one to make excuses like:
Cellular wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:59 pm Nothing pesin no go hear for CE. What does having ball skills got to do with the position Ndidi plays?
But if this is truly an honest opinion, its no wonder our midfield is in its current state.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sunset wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:56 amNo where did I say he wasn't a "top-notch" player, so if you can find where that was said let me know as well as this quest for "perfection". All I did was point out a clear weakness in his game which is probably the reason he isn't at a "top" team right now. Everybody has one deficiency or the other but the issue is when it's glaring, i'm a big fan of him but I'm not one to make excuses like:
You're seeking perfection or near-perfection if a DM who has always been in the top 1 or 2 of tackling and interceptions in the EPL, and who recycles the ball at an 83% clip in the busiest and most crowded part of the pitch lacks "ball skills" (whatever that means) to play the role that requires disruption of the opposition's possession by tackling and interception, and thereafter recycling possession by quickly passing it on with a fair bit of accuracy - all because he's not presently at a so-called "big team". Only on CE.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Gotti wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:47 am
Sunset wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:56 amNo where did I say he wasn't a "top-notch" player, so if you can find where that was said let me know as well as this quest for "perfection". All I did was point out a clear weakness in his game which is probably the reason he isn't at a "top" team right now. Everybody has one deficiency or the other but the issue is when it's glaring, i'm a big fan of him but I'm not one to make excuses like:
You're seeking perfection or near-perfection if a DM who has always been in the top 1 or 2 of tackling and interceptions in the EPL, and who recycles the ball at an 83% clip in the busiest and most crowded part of the pitch lacks "ball skills" (whatever that means) to play the role that requires disruption of the opposition's possession by tackling and interception, and thereafter recycling possession by quickly passing it on with a fair bit of accuracy - all because he's not presently at a so-called "big team". Only on CE.
Only on C.E indeed, that we want our players to be limited, and try to justify it with stats that don't tell the full story, though i'm not sure where you got the 83% from as most sites I see have his PL pass completion rate as 80.2%, Since we want to go the numbers route, i might as well add this little illustration.
If near-perfection is him being even slightly a more balanced midfielder then I 100% agree with you...
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Gotti wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:58 am Adewale Adeyinka is IMO the best GK in the league if we go by performances for the past 2 seasons, I know that if he didn't get ruled out of the U17 World Cup in 2013 Alampasu & Uzoho would've been pushed down the pecking order.
Olorunleke Ojo is an upgrade over Noble but still isn't someone i'd feel comfortable with even being on the bench for the National team. It's like one GK slot is reserved for an Enyimba player regardless of their performance.
Adewale Adeyinka's call up is correct, but Olorunleke Ojo is totally crap, even worse than Noble, Yakubu who aren't among my favourites. My question is: why has he been called up if we have much better alternatives such as Uzoho and Adeleye who definitely derserve to be regurarly part of the squad , then there are is also Osigwe, who has a great positiong.