How Ndidi, Okoye, and Osimhen Compare to Nigerian ALL-TIME Stars?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
How Ndidi, Okoye, and Osimhen Compare to Nigerian ALL-TIME Stars?

Post by Enugu II »

Using a few stats, we compare three current Nigerian players in key spine positions to Nigerian legends who played in similar positions. All three Nigerian legends have been frequently named in varying lists of Nigeria's All-Time XI. This comparison gives us an idea on where current players may stand statistically when compared to the legends.

He is not in the league of Rashidi Yekini, Thompson Usiyan, or Segun Odegbami who all scored at a greater clip than Osimhen has thus far.

Ndidi's current stats are better than those of Mikel Obi and Sunday Oliseh in areas measured. The only place where he sorely lacks is occasional scoring.

Details can be found via:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2022/05/c ... conic.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
sabb
Egg
Egg
Re: How Ndidi, Okoye, and Osimhen Compare to Nigerian ALL-TIME Stars?

Post by sabb »

Okoye and Osimhen haven't earned their stripes yet for comparison
While Ndidi stats might be comparable his on field game is not up there with either Oliseh or Mikel
He carries out his defensive part of the game very well but is lacking offensively and in his overall game play, he does not exude confidence of a captain when playing and does not stamp his authority in games when it comes to dictating play or tempo.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Osihmen at this stage of his career is better than any Nigerian striker ever. I’d even say he’s better than the 94 Yekini. Ndidi is perhaps one of the best Nigerian DMs ever but he’s no Mikel or Oliseh he’s not even close. I don’t even think he breaks up play as well as either Mikel or Oliseh.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:07 am Osihmen at this stage of his career is better than any Nigerian striker ever. I’d even say he’s better than the 94 Yekini. Ndidi is perhaps one of the best Nigerian DMs ever but he’s no Mikel or Oliseh he’s not even close. I don’t even think he breaks up play as well as either Mikel or Oliseh.
Emir

How is Osimhen better than any striker ever at this stage if his career. Please elaborate and restrict yourself to performance in Nigeria's colors because that is what this is about. It is not about performance at Enugu Rangers, Juventus, or Liverpool.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

sabb wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:15 pm Okoye and Osimhen haven't earned their stripes yet for comparison
While Ndidi stats might be comparable his on field game is not up there with either Oliseh or Mikel
He carries out his defensive part of the game very well but is lacking offensively and in his overall game play, he does not exude confidence of a captain when playing and does not stamp his authority in games when it comes to dictating play or tempo.
You have a point that the careers of Okoye and Osihmen are just starting. But was Usiyan's career loner than those two?
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:30 am
sabb wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:15 pm Okoye and Osimhen haven't earned their stripes yet for comparison
You have a point that the careers of Okoye and Osihmen are just starting. But was Usiyan's career loner than those two?
Usiyan ke :lol: don't know anything about him apart from tales by CE or books, but Osimhen is still learning and trying to understand the other parts of his game, awareness, composure, ball antics and unpredictability. Number wise I think he will definitely get there cos his hustle is a 100 and it paid well for him during the under 17 tournament and he has carried it into his senior game
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:19 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:30 am
Usiyan ke :lol: don't know anything about him apart from tales by CE or books, but Osimhen is still learning and trying to understand the other parts of his game, awareness, composure, ball antics and unpredictability. Number wise I think he will definitely get there cos his hustle is a 100 and it paid well for him during the under 17 tournament and he has carried it into his senior game
Agreed 💯
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 pm Using a few stats, we compare three current Nigerian players in key spine positions to Nigerian legends who played in similar positions. All three Nigerian legends have been frequently named in varying lists of Nigeria's All-Time XI. This comparison gives us an idea on where current players may stand statistically when compared to the legends.

He is not in the league of Rashidi Yekini, Thompson Usiyan, or Segun Odegbami who all scored at a greater clip than Osimhen has thus far.

Ndidi's current stats are better than those of Mikel Obi and Sunday Oliseh in areas measured. The only place where he sorely lacks is occasional scoring.

Prof, this doesn't seem to be a fair comparison as the others mention have finished their careers while Osimhen is just starting. A fair comparison would be at the end of Osimhen's career or compared their stats at the ages of 19-23. In that case Osimhen is clearly above a 23 year old Yekini. Yekini went up several gears between the years 1990 to 1994. He was monstrous during this period ( he was between the ages of 27 to 31). That was when he hit those incredible numbers. Had he been like that from say the previous 3/4 years, Yekini's goal total would have been in the 60s. Also Osimhen has scored 10 goals from 21 games not 9 goals. Baring injury, bad form etc, I fully expect Osimhen to surpass Yekini's 37 goal tally.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Adisboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:43 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 pm Using a few stats, we compare three current Nigerian players in key spine positions to Nigerian legends who played in similar positions. All three Nigerian legends have been frequently named in varying lists of Nigeria's All-Time XI. This comparison gives us an idea on where current players may stand statistically when compared to the legends.

Prof, this doesn't seem to be a fair comparison as the others mention have finished their careers while Osimhen is just starting. A fair comparison would be at the end of Osimhen's career or compared their stats at the ages of 19-23. In that case Osimhen is clearly above a 23 year old Yekini. Yekini went up several gears between the years 1990 to 1994. He was monstrous during this period ( he was between the ages of 27 to 31). That was when he hit those incredible numbers. Had he been like that from say the previous 3/4 years, Yekini's goal total would have been in the 60s. Also Osimhen has scored 10 goals from 21 games not 9 goals. Baring injury, bad form etc, I fully expect Osimhen to surpass Yekini's 37 goal tally.
Adusboy,

I will revisit the data to be sure that inave not missed any of Osimhen's goals. To be clear, I do not think Osimhen is a poor player at all. In fact, I think he is a super player.

What this is not about my preferences but simply putting out stats.

Now, I certainly think you should not wait for a player to retire before comparing him to previous greats. To do so will defeat the entire purpose of weighing the current player's standing among the feats of history. The idea that his scoring career is not yet over is a good point but that is precisely why goals per game is also used instead of solely depending on total number of goals.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Adisboy

I just checked and I do not have Osimhen with 10 goals for Nigeria. Here are the goals that I have: 2 against Lesotho (11/17/19) and one each against Ukraine (9/10/19), Benin Rep. (11/13/19), S/Leone (11/13/20), Lesotho (3/30/21), CPV (9/7/21), Liberia (11/13/21), and CPV (11/16/21). Which game or goal have I missed?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 pm Adisboy

I just checked and I do not have Osimhen with 10 goals for Nigeria. Here are the goals that I have: 2 against Lesotho (11/17/19) and one each against Ukraine (9/10/19), Benin Rep. (11/13/19), S/Leone (11/13/20), Lesotho (3/30/21), CPV (9/7/21), Liberia (11/13/21), and CPV (11/16/21). Which game or goal have I missed?
I think you are missing 1 goal vs Central Africa (10/10/21)
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:06 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 pm Adisboy

I think you are missing 1 goal vs Central Africa (10/10/21)

Mace

Thanks! :clap: :clap: Don't know how I missed that: https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2021/10/ ... in-in.html. I will correct the data.