Onuoha’s Super Eagles Regrets

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Onuoha’s Super Eagles Regrets

Post by Damunk »

Would’ve loved to have worn the shirt” – Former Manchester City star regrets refusing to play for Nigeria’s Super Eagles
Imhons Erons by Imhons Erons 13 hours ago in AFCON, EPL, News, NewsNow, Nigeria

A former England youth international has reflected on a career that saw him become a Premier League star but fail to make an impact with a national team

Former Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha has revealed his regret at choosing not to represent Nigeria at the international level.

Onuoha confessed that he was twice approached by different handlers of the Super Eagles four years apart, but the fear of losing his shirt at Manchester City made him snub the three-time African champions.

Born in Warri, Delta State, Onuoha and his family emigrated to England when he was young, receiving his British citizenship at seven years old, thus becoming eligible to feature for England.

After his breakthrough at Man City, Onuoha became a regular for the England U20s and 21s, representing them 21 times in four years.

And while the centre-back waited for a dream Three Lions call-up, then Super Eagles coached Berti Vogts contacted him ahead of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations.

But Onuachu revealed that he snubbed the calls because leaving for an Afcon that was not rated in England would have affected his first-team chances at Manchester City.

Speaking to Sports Mole, Onuoha said, “In the lead up to the AFCON championships, you could hear how people were speaking ill of it, the timing of it, not taking it seriously and the like, and that frustrated me so I was continually pushing back, pushing back against it and initially when I was [at Man City] under Mancini, I said to Berti Vogts, the then Nigeria manager, that I couldn’t go because I wasn’t comfortable in my club position.

“[At the time, I felt] that you would fall down the pecking order if you decided to go and play for your national team. This would never be the case if you were playing for England or if you were playing for another European nation.”

Onuoha was on the payroll of Man City for eight years, featuring in 93 Premier League matches, before finally leaving for Queens Park Rangers in 2012.

That dream England invitation never arrived and, looking back at his career, the ex-QPR defender admits he regrets not wearing the famous green-and-white jersey of the Super Eagles.

Onuoha added: “I had been drinking the Kool-Aid and I fell into that mindset; I think I missed that because if in a late part of my career that option would have ever come, I would have gone.

“If a club wants to punish you for representing your country, I think that’s not a problem for you; that’s a problem for them, that’s their situation, their perception of other countries because at the end of the day, you’re not really picking where you are from, so why should you be criticised because of it?

“In some ways, it was a bit of a regret but then in the same breath [because] I didn’t have those experiences then I wouldn’t be perceiving things the way that I do today. So I do appreciate that and I would have loved to have worn the shirt but I’m just going to have to support from a distance now,” he concluded.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/05/wouldve-lo ... agles.html
This isn’t the first time he is expressing his regrets. The last time he said it, he was slated here on CE.
But it all goes to show the different pressures and how they impact on the decisions many of these young men have to make.

Meanwhile, we are sitting here abusing them and their fathers. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pindal123
Egg
Egg
Re: Onuoha’s Super Eagles Regrets

Post by pindal123 »

The same situation as now: Players want to play for England and they snub Nigeria, but at the end they will never play for any major National Team.
I just think at Adarabioyo now, who whishes an England call up that is very unlikely to happen.
I hope that at least we will be able to convince Eberechi Eze, who is a unique player.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pindal123 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:57 am The same situation as now: Players want to play for England and they snub Nigeria, but at the end they will never play for any major National Team.
I just think at Adarabioyo now, who whishes an England call up that is very unlikely to happen.
I hope that at least we will be able to convince Eberechi Eze, who is a unique player.
It is a topic which I guess can never be fully understood until one speaks with these players in person. I'm not sure any of their loudest critics would do any different.
ATEOTD, they're looking out for their careers and it isn't a sentimental decision. Its a hard, practical choice.

For instance, we have at least three forum members here who are full Nigerians but joined the US military, two at least of whom have gone on tours of duty in Iraq/Afghanistan, risking their lives. Thank God they came back to tell the story.
Let's not even talk about those of us who have chosen to build their lives and families abroad, even though Nigeria could badly use our services.

So I don't get what the bad belleh is towards these guys when they make their own career choices.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

But Onuachu revealed that he snubbed the calls because leaving for an Afcon that was not rated in England would have affected his first-team chances at Manchester City.

Where did he get that thought from?
I can understand afcon not viewed or rated in other continents, Asia, the Americas.
Last edited by mcal on Wed May 18, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:29 am
pindal123 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:57 am The same situation as now: Players want to play for England and they snub Nigeria, but at the end they will never play for any major National Team.
It is a topic which I guess can never be fully understood until one speaks with these players in person. I'm not sure any of their loudest critics would do any different.
ATEOTD, they're looking out for their careers and it isn't a sentimental decision. Its a hard, practical choice.

For instance, we have at least three forum members here who are full Nigerians but joined the US military, two at least of whom have gone on tours of duty in Iraq/Afghanistan, risking their lives. Thank God they came back to tell the story.
Let's not even talk about those of us who have chosen to build their lives and families abroad, even though Nigeria could badly use our services.

So I don't get what the bad belleh is towards these guys when they make their own career choices.
Anyone expressing bad belle towards these boys is being unreasonable. Those who have grown up children born abroad will tell you that in the same family, some would love the idea of being a Nigerian and representing us while others won't. Each human being has preferences which can't be explained, though the environment might have something to do with it. But at the end of the day, we must learn to respect each person's preferences and not castigate them for not doing what we expectthem to do.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

mcal wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm But Onuachu revealed that he snubbed the calls because leaving for an Afcon that was not rated in England would have affected his first-team chances at Manchester City.

The fear is real. He would be going away for anything between 3-6 weeks, come back jaded (some injured) and someone else would have taken his place at his club in his absence. He would then have to fight to get his place back. And if the other guy impressed in his absence, it might end up being a long wait.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 pm
mcal wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm But Onuachu revealed that he snubbed the calls because leaving for an Afcon that was not rated in England would have affected his first-team chances at Manchester City.

The fear is real. He would be going away for anything between 3-6 weeks, come back jaded (some injured) and someone else would have taken his place at his club in his absence. He would then have to fight to get his place back. And if the other guy impressed in his absence, it might end up being a long wait.
...clearly understand that, going away for weeks and injury, but that afcon is not rated in England? Only the UK and some Euro countries televise the tournament in it's entirety. I remember 1994 afcon, I was still based in Europe at the time, it was huge among all.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Anyone expressing bad belle towards these boys is being unreasonable. Those who have grown up children born abroad will tell you that in the same family, some would love the idea of being a Nigerian and representing us while others won't. Each human being has preferences which can't be explained, though the environment might have something to do with it. But at the end of the day, we must learn to respect each person's preferences and not castigate them for not doing what we expectthem to do.
The fact is that many players today choose the National team based on their chance they have to play for it!
Do you think that Lookman would have chosen Nigeria if he was called up by England?
Or Akpoguma, who played for all the youth german team, then chose Nigeria only because Rohr promised him a sure place in the squad!
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

pindal123 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:23 pm

The fact is that many players today choose the National team based on their chance they have to play for it!
Do you think that Lookman would have chosen Nigeria if he was called up by England?
Or Akpoguma, who played for all the youth german team, then chose Nigeria only because Rohr promised him a sure place in the squad!
Yea, many but not ALL. We've had players like Iwobi and Ebuehi who didn't wait for England and Netherlands respectively before committing to Nigeria. And you have more of such with North African players born in Europe. A higher percentage choose their African country over their country of birth.

Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

mcal wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:18 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 pm

...clearly understand that, going away for weeks and injury, but that afcon is not rated in England? Only the UK and some Euro countries televise the tournament in it's entirety. I remember 1994 afcon, I was still based in Europe at the time, it was huge among all.
Even in 2022, we've seen how some clubs frown at players who wanted to go away for AFCON. Even the Liverpool manager called it a small tournament just few months ago. The fact that it is being televised across Europe does not mean that the club executives rate it enough to be happy for it to disrupt their team's plans and chances of doing better.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:00 pm

Yea, many but not ALL. We've had players like Iwobi and Ebuehi who didn't wait for England and Netherlands respectively before committing to Nigeria. And you have more of such with North African players born in Europe. A higher percentage choose their African country over their country of birth.
The level of professionalism is much higher at these North African FAs than the likes of Nigeria. It’s really a huge difference that you have to be mentally prepared for if choosing a Nigeria. You really have to have real love for Naija or you really desire an international career and have no other option…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:20 pm

The level of professionalism is much higher at these North African FAs than the likes of Nigeria. It’s really a huge difference that you have to be mentally prepared for if choosing a Nigeria. You really have to have real love for Naija or you really desire an international career and have no other option…
Your'e absolutely right there.
But nobody should have to go above and beyond the average Nigerian to prove their love for the country just because they are footballers and therefore in the spotlight.
Nobody is pressuring me (or you) to prove your love for our country simply because we are working abroad.
Choosing a better career option does not imply they have no love for Nigeria.
Many like to paint it in black and white that way and the insults quickly follow.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:16 pm

But nobody should have to go above and beyond the average Nigerian to prove their love for the country just because they are footballers and therefore in the spotlight.
Nobody is pressuring me (or you) to prove your love for our country simply because we are working abroad.
Many like to paint it in black and white that way and the insults quickly follow.
True, I wasn't trying to imply that the opposite is true (if you choose another country you don't have love for Naija). Just that the choice really isn't a "choice" when you lay all the chips on the table and use logic rather than sentiment. There is really zero incentive to picking a 3rd world country over a 1st world country if you have equal opportunity of making both NTs esp when the 1st world country is also the vastly better footballing nation/program...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:25 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:16 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:29 am It is a topic which I guess can never be fully understood until one speaks with these players in person. I'm not sure any of their loudest critics would do any different.

True, I wasn't trying to imply that the opposite is true (if you choose another country you don't have love for Naija). Just that the choice really isn't a "choice" when you lay all the chips on the table and use logic rather than sentiment. There is really zero incentive to picking a 3rd world country over a 1st world country if you have equal opportunity of making both NTs esp when the 1st world country is also the vastly better footballing nation/program...
Couldn't agree more.
I've always argued its a professional choice, not a sentiment alone.
Here in the UK, Nigeria is the 'new cool' for black kids so its not about them growing up in the UK and loving the UK more than Naija. Adarabioyo for example doesn't waste time wearing his Naija kits on instagram etc. Its about identity. But career-wise, they will make the non-sentimental choice like you say.
Some will choose Naija, most will hedge their bets until one option peters out and the other still exists.

I think those that live in the USA find it hard to understand this because the dynamic out there is very different. The closest I can see to the British-Naija mindset is with that guy Abraham Adesanya. He's not a US citizen but carries his Naija identity around him with pride everywhere he goes in the US.

Its a total mind switch from a generation ago - even 15 years ago - and it makes me real proud to see my own daughters project their Naija identity at every opportunity.
But they could still choose the UK over Nigeria if and when eventually they are faced with a stark career choice.
Like many of us.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Onuoha was never good enough for England. If he was he wouldn't give a toss about Nigeria.
OCCUPY NFF!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:05 pm Onuoha was never good enough for England. If he was he wouldn't give a toss about Nigeria.
Who told you that?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Please back up with evidence that Rohr actually told Akpoguma this, otherwise, it is a highly irresponsible statement to make.
pindal123 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:23 pm The fact is that many players today choose the National team based on their chance they have to play for it!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I can understand afcon not viewed or rated in other continents, Asia, the Americas.
Onuachu ke?
I am happy
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

So we are doing this again for the 10th time ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 pm So we are doing this again for the 10th time ?
Yup. Any problem? :taunt:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Dammy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Onuachu ke?
...eagle-eyed. You could be their copy-editor.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Well said :clap: :clap:. :agree:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?