Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Jmal
Egg
Egg
Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Post by Jmal »

https://talksport.com/football/1113104/ ... -transfer/

star Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’ and ‘destined for big things’ after shining in Europa League final, which could lead to Premier League return and Leicester regret
Adam Goodwin
19th May 2022, 12:57 pm
Updated: 19th May 2022, 1:03 pm

“Can we just talk about Calvin Bassey for a second?”

Jason Cundy asked a question that almost everyone up and down the country will have also been posing after the Rangers defender’s magnificent performance in Seville – which also earned praise from legend Ally McCoist.

The defender was unstoppable on Wednesday night and has been throughout most of the season in Scotland
getty
The defender was unstoppable on Wednesday night and has been throughout most of the season in Scotland

And you can bet your bottom dollar that nobody was going to stop Cundy and Jamie O’Hara waxing lyrical about the talented 22-year-old.

“He looked sensational tonight, absolutely sensational. I thought he was the best player on the pitch,” talkSPORT host Cundy said on The Sports Bar.

“He was immense, 22 years of age. He is destined for big things, this kid – he was absolutely superb tonight.”

O’Hara even went as far as comparing him to one of the best centre-backs in world football, adding: “What a player, he was like [Virgil] Van Dijk!”

That’s big praise but, you have to say, it’s accurate.

Whilst he’s not quite as tall as Van Dijk, Bassey possesses a lot of the same attributes as Liverpool’s defensive rock.

Comparisons to Van Dijk aren’t far off the mark

Left-footed Bassey played a lot of football at full-back for Leicester

Quick, strong, and comfortable on the ball, the Rangers man has everything you’d want from a modern-day centre-back.

And, despite a dominating performance in their cup final defeat in that position on Wednesday night, Bassey has spent a large portion of his career at left-back.

His former boss Steven Gerrard signed him from Leicester in 2020 and labelled him as a full-back when talking about his new addition for the first time, whilst handing him the No.3 shirt at Ibrox.

Even this season, he has shown his versatility under Gerrard’s successor, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, by playing in both positions but, after his performance against Frankfurt, there should be only one he plays from now.

He showed his mental toughness as well as his physical strength in extra-time, when his two incredible recovery runs prevented the German side from taking the lead.

Stopping Germans is what the English like to do best, but, unfortunately for Gareth Southgate, Bassey has pledged his allegiance to the Nigerian national team and has already made two senior caps for the Super Eagles.

That’s despite him being born in Italy, which is where he grew up before moving to England and joining Leicester at 15.

The fact that Rangers signed him for absolutely nothing from the Foxes now represents a phenomenal piece of business – and reason for major regret from the Foxes camp.

With Bassey contracted until 2024, Rangers can command a decent fee if a team from the Premier League, or anywhere else, tries sniffing around him this summer – and Rangers legend McCoist says he could ‘walk’ into any team.

Could we see Bassey in the Premier League soon?
getty
Could we see Bassey in the Premier League soon?

“What about that performance, he was absolutely frightening,” the Ibrox favourite said on Thursday’s talkSPORT Breakfast.

“He’s walking in anywhere on that performance.”

Some will say he could have done better for the Frankfurt equaliser, but, at 22, you can’t expect him to be the finished article.

His performance at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium was almost perfect, however, which impressed fans, pundits, and maybe even some scouts.

And if he wants the Van Dijk comparisons to continue, a move from Scotland to the Premier League would help, which might just lead to Virgil-like superstar status.
Betting Offer Of The Day
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Post by maceo4 »

I think his best position is CB/LCB not LB/LWB, dude was outstanding there!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Dude was like inter Milan Taribo
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But wait o.... Is this a different Calvin Bassey from the one Ghananese old men were blowing past in Kumasi and Abuja?

Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice .....
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 pm But wait o.... Is this a different Calvin Bassey from the one Ghananese old men were blowing past in Kumasi and Abuja?

He wasn’t playing under the same weather conditions last night.

But I must admit, he has improved over time. I remember watching him play for Rangers a few months back, and I wasn’t impressed. But kudos to him for showing us he still has a lot to offer.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Thank God we’ve capped him already.
Dem no go let us hear word if not.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

So will he no longer play for Nigeria? Or under what weather condition will he be playing? Will the NFF package his own weather condition separately?
Lolly wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:29 pm
1naija wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 pm But wait o.... Is this a different Calvin Bassey from the one Ghananese old men were blowing past in Kumasi and Abuja?

But I must admit, he has improved over time. I remember watching him play for Rangers a few months back, and I wasn’t impressed. But kudos to him for showing us he still has a lot to offer.
Last edited by 1naija on Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Calvin Bassey: The unknown who came of age in Europa League run
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61501029

By Thomas Duncan - BBC Scotland

Two years ago, Calvin Bassey was in Leicester City's reserves. Little over 12 months later, he was one of five Rangers players suspended for breaking lockdown rules.

Yet on Wednesday night in Seville, the 22-year-old was being described as a "colossus" and "outstanding" for his performance in the Europa League final.

The left-back turned domineering centre-back was viewed as a weak link in the Rangers team 18 months ago after joining as an unheralded free transfer, but has been utterly transformed this season.

Now the Nigerian international suddenly looks like one of the Ibrox side's most prized assets, with the likes of Ally McCoist, Mark Hateley and Owen Hargreaves all cooing over his performance and what might come next for him.

"Calvin Bassey has been absolutely phenomenal," McCoist said on BT Sport. "He has been a colossus this evening."

Eye-opening numbers

Bassey was excellent against Eintracht, just as he has been throughout Rangers' run to the final. He won seven of his 11 duels on the night, four of his five aerially, won possession back nine times, and made three interceptions.

Twice in extra time, with other players going down with cramp, he made two incredible recovery runs. First, after losing his footing he hared back to make a crucial tackle to stop a close-range shot.

Then a few minutes later, he chased down Ansgar Knauff and stopped the wing-back getting a free effort at goal.

Those were just a couple of examples of him using his athleticism, and there were countless others as he used sheer brute strength to defend stoutly. But he is also comfortable on the ball and in previous rounds demonstrated his ability to drive forward from the back.

It was not perfect from Bassey. Rafael Borre snuck across him in the six-yard box to score the equaliser, but he would perhaps have expected the cross to be stopped at source or Connor Goldson to intercept at the near post.
'I imagine a lot of clubs are looking at him'

Much has been made of the fact Rangers' ever-present centre-back Goldson is out of contract at the end of the season, but the club might have to worry about Bassey having suitors, too.

It is even more remarkable given he has come from the fringes. Bassey started as Steven Gerrard rotated his XI for a League Cup quarter-final against St Mirren last season, and was all over the place before being substituted early in a 3-2 defeat.

Four months later, he was part of the group who received a six-game ban for breaching lockdown rules by attending a party and looked out of the picture altogether. He made seven appearances - four of them starts - as Rangers won the title with Borna Barisic as the starting left-back.

Bassey assumed the role in the early months of this term as the Croat struggled for form and fitness but found himself shunted infield after the arrival of Giovanni van Bronckhorst and has made the new position his own. He kept Filip Helander out of the team when he briefly returned from injury, and has left Leon Balogun stuck on the bench.

The good news for Rangers is he is under contract until 2024, and can expect to command a good fee having signed him on a free transfer from Leicester in July 2020.

"Bassey has come so far, so quickly," former Rangers striker Mark Hateley said on BBC Scotland's Sportsound. "He's established himself as a centre-half, wing-back, full-back. He's put himself in a place right now where I imagine there's a lot of clubs looking at him. He's still only 22-years-old. He has been outstanding."

Former Manchester United and England midfielder Owen Hargreaves agrees.

"Calvin Bassey, my word, what a performance," he said on BT Sport. "That was astonishing, the energy and effort. Everything about his game was fantastic. Anyone watching that will be thinking: 'That's the kind of player I want in my team'."
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Modsssssss!

Can we just sangalo any comment by anyone above the age of 72 and half here to Problems and Suggestions section? We are discussing Calvin Bassey here not Thunder Balogun or Peter Fregene when some people can now be using their old age knowledge to bamboozle we young ones about some green grass football magic in Port Harcourt parade ground in 1963 :boo: :boo: .

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 pm So will he no longer play for Nigeria? Or under what weather condition will he be playing? Will the NFF package his own weather condition separately?

He should play CB for SE and let’s see first…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I want him as CB. i was super impressed yesterday, his recovery and tenacity were out of this world
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The Ghanaians won't blow past him then?
maceo4 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm
1naija wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 pm So will he no longer play for Nigeria? Or under what weather condition will he be playing? Will the NFF package his own weather condition separately?

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Yes, they won't!

... and I am repeating this message here so no one would conveniently pretend not to see it.

Modsssssss!

Can we just sangalo any comment by anyone above the age of 72 and half here to Problems and Suggestions section? We are discussing Calvin Bassey here not Thunder Balogun or Peter Fregene when some people can now be using their old age knowledge to bamboozle we young ones about some green grass football magic in Port Harcourt parade ground in 1963 :boo: :boo: .
1naija wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:58 pm The Ghanaians won't blow past him then?
maceo4 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I told you he was a stud.
GG of G
Egg
Egg

Post by GG of G »

Dude was immense, I was just looking for his name until I saw Bassey.
"Do not be Misled. God is not one to be mocked. Whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry: :mad:

^^^
To whom it may concern! ...... I take that back.... TO WHOM IT CONCERNS!!!!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

No be him fault sey their opponent equalise?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

fabio wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:04 pm No be him fault sey their opponent equalise?
Kind off. Guess he was expecting the other defender to clear the cross.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...club match/performance is different from country match/performance. Why?
Because club management are different from country management.
Nigeria that is.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

played well in the final no doubt but that is just one game. They were beaten 2ce by Celtics this season. He looks comfortable in CB though and his play was assured. Will prefer him in CB for SE to see how he compares to the others. Sanusi is still good for that LB
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am played well in the final no doubt but that is just one game. They were beaten 2ce by Celtics this season. He looks comfortable in CB though and his play was assured. Will prefer him in CB for SE to see how he compares to the others. Sanusi is still good for that LB
Kpom.
CB is where we are running thin on the ground. Ekong and Balogun are weak links.
By the way, its Celtic, not Celtics.
Like "Colin, not Collins"
Anathema to those that own or know the name.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am played well in the final no doubt but that is just one game. They were beaten 2ce by Celtics this season. He looks comfortable in CB though and his play was assured. Will prefer him in CB for SE to see how he compares to the others. Sanusi is still good for that LB
As Damunk saied CB is a weak link for Super Eagles: Balogun is quite old now and not even a starter at Rangers, and Ekong isn't that good.
Bassey' s rise as CB is a great new for us, and also with the likes of Ajayi, Ndah, Ozornwafor we can sleep peacefully.
For the left-back Sanusi is still a good option, but my favourite choice would be Destiny Udogie, if we would be able to cap tie him it would be great.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

imehjunior wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:24 am
fabio wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:04 pm No be him fault sey their opponent equalise?
Kind off. Guess he was expecting the other defender to clear the cross.
Na him fault. Na him dey mark the guy!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim