Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Post by fabio »

pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:04 pm
sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am played well in the final no doubt but that is just one game. They were beaten 2ce by Celtics this season. He looks comfortable in CB though and his play was assured. Will prefer him in CB for SE to see how he compares to the others. Sanusi is still good for that LB
As Damunk saied CB is a weak link for Super Eagles: Balogun is quite old now and not even a starter at Rangers, and Ekong isn't that good.
Bassey' s rise as CB is a great new for us, and also with the likes of Ajayi, Ndah, Ozornwafor we can sleep peacefully.
For the left-back Sanusi is still a good option, but my favourite choice would be Destiny Udogie, if we would be able to cap tie him it would be great.
Sanusi is the best option we have. Your favourite can wait his turn.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

fabio wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm Sanusi is the best option we have. Your favourite can wait his turn.
:lol: This means you don't even know who Destiny Udogie is!
You should watch some of him before making these kind of statements.
If we wait as you say, we will see him soon with the Italy shirt, and we can say goodbye for ever to a 19 years old talent!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

It's the weak links Ekong and Balogun that saved our aszz when little old Ghananese players were blowing past him. Imagine if he was the last man to be blown past. Nothing againt him, but we need to start demanding excellence and consistency. "Old man" Balogun has been consistent for Nigeria! Let someone beat him out first.
Damunk wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:37 am
sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am played well in the final no doubt but that is just one game. They were beaten 2ce by Celtics this season. He looks comfortable in CB though and his play was assured. Will prefer him in CB for SE to see how he compares to the others. Sanusi is still good for that LB
Kpom.
CB is where we are running thin on the ground. Ekong and Balogun are weak links.
By the way, its Celtic, not Celtics.
Like "Colin, not Collins"
Anathema to those that own or know the name.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Kpom.
CB is where we are running thin on the ground. Ekong and Balogun are weak links.
:lol: the "s" just slid in there
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:04 pm
As Damunk saied CB is a weak link for Super Eagles: Balogun is quite old now and not even a starter at Rangers, and Ekong isn't that good.
Bassey' s rise as CB is a great new for us, and also with the likes of Ajayi, Ndah, Ozornwafor we can sleep peacefully.
For the left-back Sanusi is still a good option, but my favourite choice would be Destiny Udogie, if we would be able to cap tie him it would be great.
If Destiny is not country tied then good but if he is a diaspora and very good then he might ball fir his adopted country first
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

1naija wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:19 pm It's the weak links Ekong and Balogun that saved our aszz when little old Ghananese players were blowing past him. Imagine if he was the last man to be blown past. Nothing againt him, but we need to start demanding excellence and consistency. "Old man" Balogun has been consistent for Nigeria! Let someone beat him out first.
Kpom.
Bassey I think will be better for us as a centre back where he will not be exposed for pace as much as on the flanks.

It's a plus he can also play LB, but I think we need to groom him as our CB for the next decade.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

No one needs to be groomed for any position in the National team. He should compete and beat out the competition for the position he wants to play at. That's why we failed in Ghana...trying to force people in the team because of one or two good games they played at their clubs. If there was clear competition for the position, we wouldn't have been saddled with Awoniyi in Cameroon. He would have been beaten out before the tournament.
vancity eagle wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:39 pm
1naija wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:19 pm It's the weak links Ekong and Balogun that saved our aszz when little old Ghananese players were blowing past him. Imagine if he was the last man to be blown past. Nothing againt him, but we need to start demanding excellence and consistency. "Old man" Balogun has been consistent for Nigeria! Let someone beat him out first.
Kpom.
Bassey I think will be better for us as a centre back where he will not be exposed for pace as much as on the flanks.

It's a plus he can also play LB, but I think we need to groom him as our CB for the next decade.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kpom.

I’m not sure he is any slower than Ekong or Balogun.
He’s probably pacier, especially Balogun who we know is a slow coach.
The way he recovered in some of those 1-on1s vs Eintracht Frankfurt was impressive.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

That’s the whole idea.
Changing of the guard inevitably happens.
Balogun has had his fair share of costly errors. Same with Ekong.
It’s part of the game.
Kpom.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:48 pm
Kpom.

The way he recovered in some of those 1-on1s vs Eintracht Frankfurt was impressive.
1Naija doesn't understand the game, yes he was beaten up field on the wing on a counter after he had busted his lungs getting up field. He wouldn't be doing that from the CB position, just like Ekong and Balogun have not been subjected to those kinds of one v one chases from the opponents half. And its not like Ekong or Balogun are any faster than Bassey, I just don't think he's fast enough/nimble enough to play LB/LWB, but his speed is more than sufficient for the CB role. And he's currently beating out Balogun for that position at his club. I think we should try him there and leave the LB/LWB to the likes of Sanusi and Collins that have more pace and are more nimble.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ekong and Balogun are the old guards that ate to be phased out, the new generation in that defense will consist of Ndah, Ozonwafor, Bassey, Sanusi, Aina, and maybe one or more new home & foreign based quality defenders...fingers crossed on Udogie.

The likes of Awaziem, Omeruo, Shehu and Collins are more or less one step out of the team, we should just keep Awaziem for experience cause he's still young, versatile and has enough quality.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Good to see y'all finally get onboard the Bassey bandwagon. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:40 pm
fabio wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm Sanusi is the best option we have. Your favourite can wait his turn.
:lol: This means you don't even know who Destiny Udogie is!
You should watch some of him before making these kind of statements.
If we wait as you say, we will see him soon with the Italy shirt, and we can say goodbye for ever to a 19 years old talent!
Someone that has represented Italy at U16/17/18/19/20/21 levels? :lol:
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:23 pm If Destiny is not country tied then good but if he is a diaspora and very good then he might ball fir his adopted country first
He might choose his adopted country first, but if we hurry up and call him first there is a chance he can play for us at senior level.

Sunset wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:57 pm Someone that has represented Italy at U16/17/18/19/20/21 levels? :lol:
And so what?! That's exactly why i'm saying we must cap tie him soon, otherwise Italy will do!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 pm
sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:23 pm If Destiny is not country tied then good but if he is a diaspora and very good then he might ball fir his adopted country first
He might choose his adopted country first, but if we hurry up and call him first there is a chance he can play for us at senior level.

Sunset wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:57 pm Someone that has represented Italy at U16/17/18/19/20/21 levels? :lol:
And so what?! That's exactly why i'm saying we must cap tie him soon, otherwise Italy will do!
So what? That is a clear indication that he only has his eyes set on Italy and they also recognize his talents, so I don't know how you think we can just convince him to play for us like that. Its not that simple
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:46 pm Good to see y'all finally get onboard the Bassey bandwagon. :D
As a CB, not LB...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Eintracht are in the bottom half of the Bundlesliga table. They can't be the measure we use.

Kpom.

pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Sunset wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 pm So what? That is a clear indication that he only has his eyes set on Italy and they also recognize his talents, so I don't know how you think we can just convince him to play for us like that. Its not that simple
Yes, I know he probably prefers his adopted country.
Only if we call him before he receives any call up by Italy, there is a chance he can accept to play for us at senior level; that's why i say we must hurry up!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Aina bombed forward more than he did and was never once blown past.
maceo4 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:03 pm
Kpom.

1Naija doesn't understand the game, yes he was beaten up field on the wing on a counter after he had busted his lungs getting up field. He wouldn't be doing that from the CB position, just like Ekong and Balogun have not been subjected to those kinds of one v one chases from the opponents half. And its not like Ekong or Balogun are any faster than Bassey, I just don't think he's fast enough/nimble enough to play LB/LWB, but his speed is more than sufficient for the CB role. And he's currently beating out Balogun for that position at his club. I think we should try him there and leave the LB/LWB to the likes of Sanusi and Collins that have more pace and are more nimble.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

1naija wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:14 pm Aina bombed forward more than he did and was never once blown past.
Man! Maceo is saying that Bassey works better as CB than LB. There is nothing to do with Aina! :bump:

As for Balogun, he has been beated by Bassey at his club , and you still would pick him? :bored:
Everyone can see that Bassey's is much better in the 1vs1!
If you think that Balogun and Ekong are our best defenders because they did well against Ghana, tell us how many 1vs1 they won or how many clean tackles they did. Or just admit that Ghana is a poor team with only few good players, one of them is Partey who scored, and that's why our defenders seemed to be good in that match.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And I am saying when Bassey played for the SE he was left chopping dust by the Ghanaian player more than once, therefore he cannot be better at CB for the SE where he will have no one like Balogun to cover for him. Maceo then said he (Bassey) chopped dust from the Ghananese blowing past him BECAUSE he had busted his lung bombing forward. I merely pointed to him another player (Aina) that constantly busted his lungs bombing forward in the same game but was not for once left in the dust.

Now you see what this had to do with Aina? It's not rocket science...
pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 pm
1naija wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:14 pm Aina bombed forward more than he did and was never once blown past.
Man! Maceo is saying that Bassey works better as CB than LB. There is nothing to do with Aina! :bump:

As for Balogun, he has been beated by Bassey at his club , and you still would pick him? :bored:
Everyone can see that Bassey's is much better in the 1vs1!
If you think that Balogun and Ekong are our best defenders because they did well against Ghana, tell us how many 1vs1 they won or how many clean tackles they did. Or just admit that Ghana is a poor team with only few good players, one of them is Partey who scored, and that's why our defenders seemed to be good in that match.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

1naija wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:17 pm And I am saying when Bassey played for the SE he was left chopping dust by the Ghanaian player more than once, therefore he cannot be better at CB for the SE where he will have no one like Balogun to cover for him. Maceo then said he (Bassey) chopped dust from the Ghananese blowing past him BECAUSE he had busted his lung bombing forward. I merely pointed to him another player (Aina) that constantly busted his lungs bombing forward in the same game but was not for once left in the dust.
😆 I could laugh for days after your statement, it doesn’t make sense!

Anyway did you see Bassey playing the Europa League final? Or you think that there was Balogun playing that match that was covering for him! You should watch that game and others by Rangers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I did not watch any of the Europa games. From the comments on this thread, I have no doubt he played well. What I did watch were our 2 WC qualifiers against Ghana. What exactly is your point?
pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:50 pm
1naija wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:17 pm And I am saying when Bassey played for the SE he was left chopping dust by the Ghanaian player more than once, therefore he cannot be better at CB for the SE where he will have no one like Balogun to cover for him. Maceo then said he (Bassey) chopped dust from the Ghananese blowing past him BECAUSE he had busted his lung bombing forward. I merely pointed to him another player (Aina) that constantly busted his lungs bombing forward in the same game but was not for once left in the dust.
😆 I could laugh for days after your statement, it doesn’t make sense!

Anyway did you see Bassey playing the Europa League final? Or you think that there was Balogun playing that match that was covering for him! You should watch that game and others by Rangers.