Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Calvin Bassey: Rangers defender ‘like Virgil Van Dijk’

Post by maceo4 »

1Naija, abeg stop am :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Let’s just try Bassey at CB and see…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Calvin Bassey is our best left sided defender at the moment.

Both as a LB and a left CD
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And just like that, ATF pulls a matter of fact statement out of his azzz. Mennnh, gerrarahia!
txj wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:33 pm Calvin Bassey is our best left sided defender at the moment.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

1naija wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:52 pm And just like that, ATF pulls a matter of fact statement out of his azzz. Mennnh, gerrarahia!
txj wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:33 pm Calvin Bassey is our best left sided defender at the moment.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Another MOTM display by Calvin Bassey in today's Scottish Cup final as a LB.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Sanusi is so much better at LB it’s not even funny…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

maceo4 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:07 am

Yup. Maceo finally speaks the truth. Sanusi is a better LB by far. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

To me these debates do little. The decision will be made on the grass and playing against invitees and not playing in these club games. These games simply get you an invitation and that is where it ought to stop.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat May 28, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:07 am

I have watched both throughout the season.

At this point, and at the conclusion of the season, Calvin Bassey is the best LB and left CD Nigeria has.
WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT!

Its not about history. Its about current performance. With data from an entire season, there's not even a debate...
Most of the peeps commenting here do not really watch football. These are idle comments...or in 1Naija's case, more jokes...

And, re EII it is based on club performances. That's how you assess players going into the NT.
And on current trajectory, I expect him in the EPL within two seasons...
I can say at this point that with a professional manager in the SE, I expect Bassey to become our most important defender.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Using the Rohr doctrine.

One plays in Scottish league and Europa league.

One play in Liga Portugal and Champions league.

We know, who is better....
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

fabio wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:04 pm Using the Rohr doctrine.

They can play together! Sanusi as LB and Bassey as LCB!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

The Calvin Bassey of the last couple of months is one of the best young defenders in Europe. His development seems to have taken a massive upward swing.

In the last two matches he has been on a completely different level than any Nigerian defender.

But it’s only 2 games.

Let’s see if he can continue where he left off next season. For now let’s be excited that we might have one our hands here.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

pindal123 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:10 pm
fabio wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:04 pm Using the Rohr doctrine.

They can play together! Sanusi as LB and Bassey as LCB!
:thumb:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Everything is coming together for Bassey and the rough edges are being ironed out.
He's turning out to be a beast of a defender. The only good thing Eguavoen did was to cap tie him to Nigeria.
I am happy
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

fabio wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm
pindal123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:04 pm
sabb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am played well in the final no doubt but that is just one game. They were beaten 2ce by Celtics this season. He looks comfortable in CB though and his play was assured. Will prefer him in CB for SE to see how he compares to the others. Sanusi is still good for that LB
As Damunk saied CB is a weak link for Super Eagles: Balogun is quite old now and not even a starter at Rangers, and Ekong isn't that good.
Bassey' s rise as CB is a great new for us, and also with the likes of Ajayi, Ndah, Ozornwafor we can sleep peacefully.
For the left-back Sanusi is still a good option, but my favourite choice would be Destiny Udogie, if we would be able to cap tie him it would be great.
Sanusi is the best option we have. Your favourite can wait his turn.

You cannot cap him because he "feels Italian" and he's already been called to training camp by the Italian manager!!
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Next wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:39 am You cannot cap him because he "feels Italian" and he's already been called to training camp by the Italian manager!!
I know, Udogie will probably play for Italy, but it's a pity because he is really good.
Yesterday he scored a great goal in the match between Udinese and Salernitana:

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Considering that we have a pretty decent LB in Zaidu, we should put him at LCB and call it good. Ekong/Balogun/Awaziem et all can fight for the right to partner him.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Considering that we have a pretty decent LB in Zaidu, we should put him at LCB and call it good. Ekong/Balogun/Awaziem et all can fight for the right to partner him.

I would expect that. Although I am concerned about Zaidu. He's had a very uneven season and is not improving...

However my comment was on the performance level of both players over the 2021/22 season.

I wasn't initially sold on the player, like YeyeMan was, to be fair, but he has grown in huge leaps and is clearly the best defender at Rangers now.

Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Una too dey shrine mediocrity
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Whilst many are screaming for Nigeria to cap the likes of Eze and Olise, I actually think Bassey (and Okoye) are the most important dual-nationals that Nigeria snapped away from other countries. This is because they play in positions where Nigeria lacks strength in depth.

e.g. after Okoye there is a massive drop off in quality in the GK dept. Does Nigeria have another player that can play in 3 different defensive positions like Bassey? Plus they are young (early 20s) and could be in the SE for another 10-12 years.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:47 pm Whilst many are screaming for Nigeria to cap the likes of Eze and Olise, I actually think Bassey (and Okoye) are the most important dual-nationals that Nigeria snapped away from other countries. This is because they play in positions where Nigeria lacks strength in depth.

e.g. after Okoye there is a massive drop off in quality in the GK dept. Does Nigeria have another player that can play in 3 different defensive positions like Bassey? Plus they are young (early 20s) and could be in the SE for another 10-12 years.
Snapped away from who??? Okoye was never considered for any German youth NT, he was barely getting by at his club youth team before we gave him any opportunity. It’s funny when you think of how blessed Germany is at the GK position to be saying we snatched this subpar keeper from them. Someone they knew about since the age of 10 and didn’t even see him good enough to even ride the bench of any of their U-XX teams. It’s just such an inaccurate narrative, but carry on sha lol…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:46 pm
wiseone wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:47 pm Whilst many are screaming for Nigeria to cap the likes of Eze and Olise, I actually think Bassey (and Okoye) are the most important dual-nationals that Nigeria snapped away from other countries. This is because they play in positions where Nigeria lacks strength in depth.

Snapped away from who??? Okoye was never considered for any German youth NT, he was barely getting by at his club youth team before we gave him any opportunity. It’s funny when you think of how blessed Germany is at the GK position to be saying we snatched this subpar keeper from them. Someone they knew about since the age of 10 and didn’t even see him good enough to even ride the bench of any of their U-XX teams. It’s just such an inaccurate narrative, but carry on sha lol…
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

fabio wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:03 pm IMG:"Shhhh"
Fabio! Instead of using those rude answers, why don't you try to argue with facts? :sleep:
If you aren't able to find anything to argue, it means that Maceo is right! :)