Destiny Udogie - Udinese’s Teenage Wingback

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Destiny Udogie - Udinese’s Teenage Wingback

Post by The YeyeMan »

Destiny Udogie: Udinese’s Teenage Wingback
May 22, 2022 Player Analysis | Breaking The Lines

Iyenoma Destiny Udogie, better known as Destiny Udogie, has been one of the revelations of the 2021/22 Serie A, producing more than his fair share of impressive performances on the left flank for Udinese.

Born on November 28, 2002 to Nigerian parents in Verona, Italy, he came through the youth academy at Hellas Verona and featured in the senior squad for six Serie A matches in the 2020/21 campaign.

Udinese saw potential in the defender and signed him in July 2021 on a loan deal with an obligation to be bought outright from the Veronese side for €4 million.

Under both Luca Gotti and his successor Gabriele Cioffi, Udogie has operated as a left wing-back in the 3-5-2 formation and his role with the Zebrette has allowed him to utilize his pace as well as make runs towards the back post.

The Nigerian-Italian made his competitive debut for Udinese in the first round of the Coppa Italia in August 2021, playing the full 90 minutes in a 3-1 victory against Serie B club Ascoli, and then he played in the Friulian team’s 2-2 draw at home to Juventus in the opening round of the Serie A season.

After missing two matches due to a calf strain, Udogie returned to the Udinese squad for its match against Roma in Week 5 and has been a regular starter since then.

He provided his first assist for the season in the 4-0 victory away to Cagliari in Week 18 but it was his only direct involvement in a goal for the first half of the 2021/22 campaign.

The 19-year-old stayed on the bench during the 1-1 draw at home to Lazio in Week 26, but his form has improved significantly in his last 12 matches, scoring four times and supplying an assist.
More: https://breakingthelines.com/player-ana ... -wingback/
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Destiny Udogie - Udinese’s Teenage Wingback

Post by The YeyeMan »

Udogie is eligible to represent either Italy or Nigeria at international level, but having been a youth international for the Italians from Under-16 to Under-21 level, the Udinese defender wants to one day play for the senior team of his birth nation.
I still don't think there's harm in the NFF establishing a relationship with the player if they haven't already done so.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:35 pm

Iyenoma Destiny Udogie, better known as Destiny Udogie, has been one of the revelations of the 2021/22 Serie A, producing more than his fair share of impressive performances on the left flank for Udinese.

Born on November 28, 2002 to Nigerian parents in Verona, Italy, he came through the youth academy at Hellas Verona and featured in the senior squad for six Serie A matches in the 2020/21 campaign.

Udinese saw potential in the defender and signed him in July 2021 on a loan deal with an obligation to be bought outright from the Veronese side for €4 million.

Under both Luca Gotti and his successor Gabriele Cioffi, Udogie has operated as a left wing-back in the 3-5-2 formation and his role with the Zebrette has allowed him to utilize his pace as well as make runs towards the back post.

The Nigerian-Italian made his competitive debut for Udinese in the first round of the Coppa Italia in August 2021, playing the full 90 minutes in a 3-1 victory against Serie B club Ascoli, and then he played in the Friulian team’s 2-2 draw at home to Juventus in the opening round of the Serie A season.

After missing two matches due to a calf strain, Udogie returned to the Udinese squad for its match against Roma in Week 5 and has been a regular starter since then.

He provided his first assist for the season in the 4-0 victory away to Cagliari in Week 18 but it was his only direct involvement in a goal for the first half of the 2021/22 campaign.

The 19-year-old stayed on the bench during the 1-1 draw at home to Lazio in Week 26, but his form has improved significantly in his last 12 matches, scoring four times and supplying an assist.
I definitely understand why he “feels more Italian” (and therefore less Nigerian).
It’s Italy and the motherland influence will be much more dilute.

You’d be hard-pressed to find an English boy use those words… “I feel more English” or “more British”.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The Nigerian culture and impact on British society is 100x stronger.
Even for those that genuinely feel that way, it’s not really something you go public with as a young person. Even typing it doesn’t feel right.

Good for him though. I hope he gets to realise his dreams.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Udogie is eligible to represent either Italy or Nigeria at international level, but having been a youth international for the Italians from Under-16 to Under-21 level, the Udinese defender wants to one day play for the senior team of his birth nation.
I still don't think there's harm in the NFF establishing a relationship with the player if they haven't already done so.
Exactly. I don’t get those that give up before even trying.
If the colonialists have no qualms about raiding their colonies for personnel across all fields, I really can’t understand why we are acting ‘Mr Goody-Two-Boots’ about targeting our own youths around the world.

I don’t hear anybody asking me why I am lending my professional skills to British society despite Nigeria having borne all the costs for my basic training….

Misplaced moral priorities if you ask me.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Yep, they should have done it since…it might be too late now…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
soma
Egg
Egg

Post by soma »

You know England is already regretting losing Bassey to Nigeria. The boy is becoming a huge talent and if the NFF have sense, they should cap these players young.

3. Thomas Sankara
4. Patrice Lumumba
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Murmar "the Lion" Ghaddafi....
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Did Southgate send you a PM to state his regret?
soma wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:19 am You know England is already regretting losing Bassey to Nigeria. The boy is becoming a huge talent and if the NFF have sense, they should cap these players young.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

soma wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:19 am You know England is already regretting losing Bassey to Nigeria. The boy is becoming a huge talent and if the NFF have sense, they should cap these players young.
We need to get away from begging players just because he has a Nigerian last name and some potential. The boy has said he’s Italian, doesn’t feel Nigerian and played in the Italian youth system. Da foik,u wanna go after him for? We have Bassey and Zaidu, I don’t he’s even as good either of them. Abeg leave am, let him chop his linguine. When he feels like switch to jollof hello let us know.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Udogie draws the Italy of 2026: "Behind Okoli and Scalvini, in attack Raspadori and Scamacca"
https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a ... ca-1768936
Udogie draws the Italy of 2026: "Behind Okoli and Scalvini, in attack Raspadori and Scamacca"TUTTOmercatoWEB.com
SATURDAY 17 DECEMBER 2022, 10:56 AM SERIE A
by IVAN CARDIA @IVANFCARDIA

We are not in Qatar, but in 2026 Italy cannot miss the appointment with the World Cup. And Destiny Udogie , the Udinese fullback who will play for Tottenham from next season, tries to draw "his of hers" Italy at SportWeek . The formation is a 3-5-2: "In goal there is no story, Donnarumma. In defense: Bastoni, Okoli and Scalvini. In midfield we play Tonali with Barella and one of Frattesi or Pellegrini, plus the second. Right winger Bellanova On the left? Me, or Dimarco who is doing very well. In front of Scamacca and Raspadori".
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

I believe the boy and his agent have already made comments about him only interested in playing for Italy . This case is closed.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:34 pm I believe the boy and his agent have already made comments about him only interested in playing for Italy . This case is closed.
No case should be closed ooo!! If he is good, we should never cease pursuing except where FIFA rules make him unqualified to play for Nigeria.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:34 pm I believe the boy and his agent have already made comments about him only interested in playing for Italy . This case is closed.
I believe you make stuff up.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:31 am
Here it is.

https://thenationonlineng.net/destiny-u ... f-nigeria/
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:09 am
The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:31 am
Here it is.

https://thenationonlineng.net/destiny-u ... f-nigeria/
This was my way of getting you to post ya sauce. :thumb:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I read on TMW, that Michael Folorunsho, the Napoli owned midfielder loaned to Serie B side, Bari, has turned down an invitation by the Italian national team manager, Roberto Mancini to a national team retreat.
How good is he? Could he be holding out for Nigeria?
I am happy
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Damunk wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm

I definitely understand why he “feels more Italian” (and therefore less Nigerian).

You’d be hard-pressed to find an English boy use those words… “I feel more English” or “more British”.

Even for those that genuinely feel that way, it’s not really something you go public with as a young person. Even typing it doesn’t feel right.

On the impact of Nigerian culture in England, I have been away but i'm currently in London. On Saturday, I went to Greenwood right outside Victoria station to watch the Morroco vs Croatia game, minding my own business. This dude from Bromley walks up to me, we talked about the game; especially that I was rooting for Morrocco and need to support my African brothers. He proceeded to guess that I was Nigerian - I said yep!. He then went on for 30 minutes explaining to me how his Grandmother is Nigerian....Dude is white as snow. So initially i thought...hmm quite fascinating; expecially that he was friendly and really wanted to chat. He explained to me that he's not a typical Londoner..hence, he'll... out of curiosity talk to new people at Bars. I asked for his Grandma's maiden name of if had ab idea ...he says Okpu, Igbo and he claim to actually uses his gradma's name. I finally asked for any ID that shows Okpy... Dude couldn't show me his Id. I found it rather odd that this middle class Bromley dude was either trying too hard to associate or making stuff up or is Niger. Afterall Ashley (falcon) is Nigerian but Ashley isn't the "white as snow" type. And please pardon my "white as snow" metaphor...as not to come across racist/low thinker.

Later on Saturday night, I with friends at INCA for food anf fun. Guess what...Niger music came on and I am dancing off all the work stress of this year, not making the world cup etc. Guess...this English girl walks up to me, again "white as snow", spends time explaining her Nigerian roots. Same day!...so i'm like...this cannot be a coincidence. Girl can dance tho - knows every word to "Calm Down". Been away from this parts for a while or when i'm here its strictly time with relatives and work. If this is the norm, I can see anyone with solid nigerian roots wanting to claim Niger - as disorganized as we are...perhaps a ray of light for UK /Niger players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

icee wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:19 pm

On the impact of Nigerian culture in England, I have been away but i'm currently in London. On Saturday, I went to Greenwood right outside Victoria station to watch the Morroco vs Croatia game, minding my own business. This dude from Bromley walks up to me, we talked about the game; especially that I was rooting for Morrocco and need to support my African brothers. He proceeded to guess that I was Nigerian - I said yep!. He then went on for 30 minutes explaining to me how his Grandmother is Nigerian....Dude is white as snow. So initially i thought...hmm quite fascinating; expecially that he was friendly and really wanted to chat. He explained to me that he's not a typical Londoner..hence, he'll... out of curiosity talk to new people at Bars. I asked for his Grandma's maiden name of if had ab idea ...he says Okpu, Igbo and he claim to actually uses his gradma's name. I finally asked for any ID that shows Okpy... Dude couldn't show me his Id. I found it rather odd that this middle class Bromley dude was either trying too hard to associate or making stuff up or is Niger. Afterall Ashley (falcon) is Nigerian but Ashley isn't the "white as snow" type. And please pardon my "white as snow" metaphor...as not to come across racist/low thinker.

Later on Saturday night, I with friends at INCA for food anf fun. Guess what...Niger music came on and I am dancing off all the work stress of this year, not making the world cup etc. Guess...this English girl walks up to me, again "white as snow", spends time explaining her Nigerian roots. Same day!...so i'm like...this cannot be a coincidence. Girl can dance tho - knows every word to "Calm Down". Been away from this parts for a while or when i'm here its strictly time with relatives and work. If this is the norm, I can see anyone with solid nigerian roots wanting to claim Niger - as disorganized as we are...perhaps a ray of light for UK /Niger players.
Icee

They are simply citing heritage that is factual. Barkley that plays in EPL has a Nigerian grandfather but certainly easily passes off as White, you know. I am sure he will not deny a Nigerian heritage even though he opted for England.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:35 pm

Icee

They are simply citing heritage that is factual. Barkley that plays in EPL has a Nigerian grandfather but certainly easily passes off as White, you know. I am sure he will not deny a Nigerian heritage even though he opted for England.
I wouldn't qualify Barkley or Dele Alie as "white as snow" but perhaps i'm eye test is quite awful. the second person I met could pass my god awful eye test
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I didn't know he'd joined Spurs. Promising prospect still.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Icee

Hmmmm, Prof.
They are not ‘simply citing’ their Naija roots. It’s much more than that.

I don tell you and will continue to tell you ‘Americans’….the cultural experience and identity of the black person in the UK is very different and is something you guys really do not and probably won’t understand. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

icee wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:19 pm On the impact of Nigerian culture in England, I have been away but i'm currently in London. On Saturday, I went to Greenwood right outside Victoria station to watch the Morroco vs Croatia game, minding my own business. This dude from Bromley walks up to me, we talked about the game; especially that I was rooting for Morrocco and need to support my African brothers. He proceeded to guess that I was Nigerian - I said yep!. He then went on for 30 minutes explaining to me how his Grandmother is Nigerian....Dude is white as snow. So initially i thought...hmm quite fascinating; expecially that he was friendly and really wanted to chat. He explained to me that he's not a typical Londoner..hence, he'll... out of curiosity talk to new people at Bars. I asked for his Grandma's maiden name of if had ab idea ...he says Okpu, Igbo and he claim to actually uses his gradma's name. I finally asked for any ID that shows Okpy... Dude couldn't show me his Id. I found it rather odd that this middle class Bromley dude was either trying too hard to associate or making stuff up or is Niger. Afterall Ashley (falcon) is Nigerian but Ashley isn't the "white as snow" type. And please pardon my "white as snow" metaphor...as not to come across racist/low thinker.

Later on Saturday night, I with friends at INCA for food anf fun. Guess what...Niger music came on and I am dancing off all the work stress of this year, not making the world cup etc. Guess...this English girl walks up to me, again "white as snow", spends time explaining her Nigerian roots. Same day!...so i'm like...this cannot be a coincidence. Girl can dance tho - knows every word to "cCalm Down". Been away from this parts for a while or when i'm here its strictly time with relatives and work. If this is the norm, I can see anyone with solid nigerian roots wanting to claim Niger - as disorganized as we are...perhaps a ray of light for UK /Niger players.
Icee, your experience is pretty much the norm nowadays.
You go on buses and trains and you get to hear a new ‘innit’ dialect of pidgin. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It’s crazy.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Icee

It's even his Dad that's Nigerian
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

We are a shameless lot for begging players to play for the SE.
After all these years and all the snobs, we still do not have the sense or pride to develop
our talents and mold them to fit our purpose. Instead we go begging for talents developed
by other nations, and worse still rubbish their commitment when our corrupt system aids the
teams' effort.

We need to stop this shameful begging of foreign players, and instead start letting
them apply to play for our teams, and then pick which ones fit our needs.

It's 2023, and our shameless corrupt claimed 'stakeholders' are still being allowed to
ruin our teams. Just looking at all the missed continental and world competition DNQs,
a serious NFF should have dumped all their know dirty linens and acquired new ones.
Instead, we keep re-circling crude and useless money embezzling crooks as our football heads.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges