NO CAMP NEWS ? EKONG & MOSES ARE EARLY ARRIVALS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: NO CAMP NEWS ? EKONG & MOSES ARE EARLY ARRIVALS

Post by waka-man »

oyek wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:30 am Back to the matter
That’s a lorra hey yous, persin for tink say na hey you convention dem go.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

maceo4 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:53 pm
waka-man wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 pm
maceo4 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:36 pm
waka-man wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:16 pm I think you have to had grown up in the west to think Nigerians have an inferiority complex to Oyinbos. We really don’t. If anything, we over rate ourselves sometimes and fail to see our own flaws. But the thing we are famous of, all over the continent, is our sense of confidence and superiority over anyone else.

Naija no dey carry last.

What is clear though is that we like oyinbo to be our servant. That’s why NFF folks love foreign coaches. “I have a white man working for me”. As kids we always used to say “when I grow up, I want a White House Boy named Frank”.
This is all very interesting to read, esp as it doesn’t vibe with what I witnessed just last December? I’m an outsider looking in and what I saw was in the general public in Nigeria foreigners (esp non-blacks) were being treated way better than the locals. The few times I’ve been to Nigeria it’s been quite obvious…I’ve seen a white guy come into a restaurant and dictate what table he wants to sit at and the naija folks already seated there gladly say sorry and move for them to sit. As an outsider looking in these kinds of things were quite eye opening. Maybe things are changing but I didn’t really see anything different last December. In fact before some business meetings I was told many times to emphasize the fact that I’m from the US and ‘blow my phoney’ that they will always pick me before a local and would trust my expertise more…I was like oooo k…But like I said I’m an outsider looking in, but it seemed like those non-black folks didn’t even hide that they felt above the locals, it was quite annoying to see…
That sounds like Zanzibar, not Nigeria.
Now, don’t get me wrong. Everyone wants to show off the Oyinbo, like I said, we like the idea of them working for us. So in business meetings, sure, folks might ask to hear the Oyinbo.

But your restaurant story? That one I find hard to believe. Oyinbo that tries that one in any establishment I’ve been to would regret every setting foot in the country. I’ve seen them dealt with for less. In other parts of Africa, sure. I’ve seen it in Cape Town, Zanzibar, Dakar.

But that’s not a thing any foreigner would try in Nigeria
I’m not saying the white guys came and removed them, they were asked to move by the waiter, they asked why, the waiter talked to them (I couldn’t hear what he said) but they agreed to move gestured like ‘no wahala’ and then these white guys take their seat. I was confused like huh. Maybe I read the situ wrong but that’s what I saw and was like hmmm, that wouldn’t be me…

But besides that there so many scenarios where I see the sambo shucking and jiving to whitey from the airport when you land and on. You guys are kinda painting a very different picture to what I and those with me saw from the common man…
Well take it from people who haven’t just taken a handful of visits.
Sometimes we see what we want to see, what we expect to see, what we’re primed to see.

And you might be mistaking an annoying Nigerian habit of showing off their white servant (not saviour), the way someone might show off their rare breed of a dog. The white man is a possession, not a god.

We have A LOT of problems in Nigeria. Inferiority complex is not one of them. In fact, the opposite might be the real problem.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Waka-man, depends where in 9ja. You could be correct in areas where there's a lotta foreign exposure. But Mace's experience is sadly closer to the truth. As another example, I know one guy who just went to 9ja with his white wife. He used her to skip lines and get favours is many instances. He would first send her ahead alone, then she would invite him to join her after the mission was accomplished. Several oyibos who've been there also admit the same. There was even one an Indian coworker of mine longing to return back there because of the "oyibo" treatment they enjoyed.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

greg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:59 am Waka-man, depends where in 9ja. You could be correct in areas where there's a lotta foreign exposure. But Mace's experience is sadly closer to the truth. As another example, I know one guy who just went to 9ja with his white wife. He used her to skip lines and get favours is many instances. He would first send her ahead alone, then she would invite him to join her after the mission was accomplished. Several oyibos who've been there also admit the same. There was even one an Indian coworker of mine longing to return back there because of the "oyibo" treatment they enjoyed.
Its a mixed bag.
The only reasons oyibos get deference in Naija is because of the perception of wealth.
Put an oyibo guy beside an obviously wealthy Nigerian looking the part - especially traditionally dressed - and I bet you they'd make a bee-line for the Naija man.
Its all about the money and on average, any oyibo in Africa is not there 'selling grannut'.
That's why Nigerians go to South Africa on visits and upset the whites there for putting them in their place. :idea:

Is it these same Nigerians that still go around saying "Oyinbó gò̩"? :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:31 am
greg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:59 am Waka-man, depends where in 9ja. You could be correct in areas where there's a lotta foreign exposure. But Mace's experience is sadly closer to the truth. As another example, I know one guy who just went to 9ja with his white wife. He used her to skip lines and get favours is many instances. He would first send her ahead alone, then she would invite him to join her after the mission was accomplished. Several oyibos who've been there also admit the same. There was even one an Indian coworker of mine longing to return back there because of the "oyibo" treatment they enjoyed.
Its a mixed bag.
The only reasons oyibos get deference in Naija is because of the perception of wealth.
Put an oyibo guy beside an obviously wealthy Nigerian looking the part - especially traditionally dressed - and I bet you they'd make a bee-line for the Naija man.
Its all about the money and on average, any oyibo in Africa is not there 'selling grannut'.
That's why Nigerians go to South Africa on visits and upset the whites there for putting them in their place. :idea:

You nailed it.
It’s got nothing to do with inferiority, more to do with making sure you can make bank. The more we think you have cash, the more we’re gonna make space for you.
That same Oyinbo would be kicked out if a local chief walked in.
It’s all about money, nothing to do with inferiority.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

waka-man wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:41 am
Its a mixed bag.

You nailed it.
It’s got nothing to do with inferiority, more to do with making sure you can make bank. The more we think you have cash, the more we’re gonna make space for you.

You guys have said it all.

The oyinbos here are very respectful of the locals. They are even afraid to upset us. Go to any top hotel lobby here in Lagos and watch to see who is in charge. The Oyinbos who are there on their own, sit quietly and behave themselves. Go to a foreign run restaurant and see for yourself.

Most of the oyinbos here are on an invitation by a local businessman or local contact. And they know they can’t do shakara with their small money when Nigerians here are swimming in cash.

Yes, they can chance the poorer Nigerians in the poorer neighbourhoods, similar to how me as a Nigerian can also chance a poorer Oyinbo in London.

But South Africa is different. I have seen too much Oyinbo flexing and black timidity in Johannesburg. It’s sickening.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Camp gist from last night

Musa - no visa not coming
Lookman - not coming
Samu - probably not coming
Etebo - knee problem not coming
Dessers - Arrives today
Samson Tijani - not coming
Zaidu - probably not coming
Shehu - Not sure
Leon - not coming. Will play in the New Jersey game

Back 3 at training yesterday. Will see what they do today.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

iworo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm
Any of these guys in the last Home-based squad that face Mexico last year?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I would have thought Alhassan Yusuf will be one of the first to report to camp.
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ugbowo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:57 am Camp gist from last night

Lookman - not coming
Dessers - Arrives today
Shehu - Not sure

Kai all these guys not coming. Any more details as to why ?

What of Yusuf ?

And will they not call up Nwobodo for heavens sake ?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:27 pm I would have thought Alhassan Yusuf will be one of the first to report to camp.
Was he invited?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm

Lookman - not coming
Dessers - Arrives today
Shehu - Not sure

Kai all these guys not coming. Any more details as to why ?

What of Yusuf ?

And will they not call up Nwobodo for heavens sake ?
Apart from Dessers, I could care less if these players can't make it.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Mexico
FORM: DWWDW

5/28
7:08 PM CT

Nigeria
FORM: DDLWW

This may be "murder" tomorrow. Mexico dey approach every match with seriousness especially vs African side :scared:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:43 am
Its a mixed bag.

You nailed it.

The oyinbos here are very respectful of the locals. They are even afraid to upset us. Go to any top hotel lobby here in Lagos and watch to see who is in charge. The Oyinbos who are there on their own, sit quietly and behave themselves. Go to a foreign run restaurant and see for yourself.

Most of the oyinbos here are on an invitation by a local businessman or local contact. And they know they can’t do shakara with their small money when Nigerians here are swimming in cash.

Yes, they can chance the poorer Nigerians in the poorer neighbourhoods, similar to how me as a Nigerian can also chance a poorer Oyinbo in London.

But South Africa is different. I have seen too much Oyinbo flexing and black timidity in Johannesburg. It’s sickening.
You do realize the majority of Nigerians are poor right? The overwhelming majority...also the assumption that an oyinbo must automatically have money is part of what we are talking about. So take the same poor Oyinbo in London that you are chancing and drop them in Nigeria (even with poorish looking clothes) and everyone around will be sucking up to them and going out of their way for them with the assumption that they got money, or that they must be an expertise in whatever field they present themselves in, essential giving them more worth than they may actually deserve simply because of assumptions they've made based on their skin color...thats what we are talking about...maybe you don't see it as inferiority complex, but to outsiders looking in, it definitely looks like that...But lets leave talk sha...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

maceo4 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:21 pm
Its a mixed bag.

You nailed it.

You do realize the majority of Nigerians are poor right? The overwhelming majority...also the assumption that an oyinbo must automatically have money is part of what we are talking about. So take the same poor Oyinbo in London that you are chancing and drop them in Nigeria (even with poorish looking clothes) and everyone around will be sucking up to them and going out of their way for them with the assumption that they got money, or that they must be an expertise in whatever field they present themselves in, essential giving them more worth than they may actually deserve simply because of assumptions they've made based on their skin color...thats what we are talking about...maybe you don't see it as inferiority complex, but to outsiders looking in, it definitely looks like that...But lets leave talk sha...
I’m not sure why you insist on arguing with those of us who live(d) the majority of our lives in the country. It’s like you’re surprised that we don’t submit to your outsiders view.

I’m afraid you’ve lobbed us into a stereotypical view of Africans as having an inferiority complex. We’re trying to tell you your misinterpreting things you’ve observed. There’s something deeper going on that you need to know the culture deeply to understand.

It’s kinda meta - you expect Nigerians us to accept a foreign (your) view of things which precisely is what we’re telling you we don’t do.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Lookman - not coming
Dessers - Arrives today
Shehu - Not sure

:scared: this is a mess
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:00 pm
Its a mixed bag.

You nailed it.

I’m not sure why you insist on arguing with those of us who live(d) the majority of our lives in the country. It’s like you’re surprised that we don’t submit to your outsiders view.

I’m afraid you’ve lobbed us into a stereotypical view of Africans as having an inferiority complex. We’re trying to tell you your misinterpreting things you’ve observed. There’s something deeper going on that you need to know the culture deeply to understand.

It’s kinda meta - you expect Nigerians us to accept a foreign (your) view of things which precisely is what we’re telling you we don’t do.
But the problem is you are not denying what I just wrote, you are just focused on the beating of chest and saying "I no get inferiority complex" mantra. We get it, you don't, but do you speak for the rest of the society? Especially the vast majority that are poorer than you? So the question is...is what I wrote untrue? Take that same poor man white man and drop him in Nigeria - does he automatically get preferential treatment based on his skin color...If it is true, what is the explanation for it so as an outsider I can understand...if its money as you say, why is there this assumption that white skin = more money than me?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

maceo4 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 pm
Its a mixed bag.

You nailed it.

But the problem is you are not denying what I just wrote, you are just focused on the beating of chest and saying "I no get inferiority complex" mantra. We get it, you don't, but do you speak for the rest of the society? Especially the vast majority that are poorer than you? So the question is...is what I wrote untrue? Take that same poor man white man and drop him in Nigeria - does he automatically get preferential treatment based on his skin color...If it is true, what is the explanation for it so as an outsider I can understand...if its money as you say, why is there this assumption that white skin = more money than me?
Bros, we’ve answered that question several times. If the Naija man knows the oyinbo is penniless, he’ll lose interest in a NY minute.

But he might offer his a job to carry his bag and look after his dog. But he’ll make sure the oyibo knows who’s boss.

Take it from a guy who grew up in a poor village in Abia State.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

maceo4 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 pm
Its a mixed bag.

You nailed it.

Even you sef, dem go give you respect if they know you are from ododo oyinbo because they believe people who live abroad have money. It's all about the Benjamins and no inferiority complex.
I am happy
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Does anyone know so many fit players are not coming? Hope no one judges Peseiro based on the result of these 2 games. We will most likely lose with so many players absent.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olu wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 pm Does anyone know so many fit players are not coming? Hope no one judges Peseiro based on the result of these 2 games. We will most likely lose with so many players absent.
Even with a full squad was it ever a certainty that Nigeria would win? In my view, Mexico would most certainly have been a favorite no matter the team Nigeria puts out there.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 pm
olu wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 pm Does anyone know so many fit players are not coming? Hope no one judges Peseiro based on the result of these 2 games. We will most likely lose with so many players absent.
Even with a full squad was it ever a certainty that Nigeria would win? In my view, Mexico would most certainly have been a favorite no matter the team Nigeria puts out there.
Favorites based on what? except you're going by fifa rankings, but Mexico has never beaten Nigeria in any friendly match where we fielded our full squad against them, with the exception of the 4-0 battering we received when we lined up a poorly assembled team of players from the local league.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Lolly wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:53 pm
iworo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm
Any of these guys in the last Home-based squad that face Mexico last year?
None