Victor Osimhen nets four in 10-0 win for Nigeria in Nations Cup qualifier

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Victor Osimhen nets four in 10-0 win for Nigeria in Nations Cup qualifier

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/61787794

Victor Osimhen scored four goals as Nigeria thrashed minnows Sao Tome e Principe 10-0 in qualifying for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Eagles missed out on a place at the 2022 World Cup in Africa's play-offs in March but have made a perfect start in Group A as they seek a spot at next year's Nations Cup in Ivory Coast.

The victory away from home is the biggest win the west Africans have recorded, surpassing a 10-1 triumph over Benin in 1959.

Watford striker Emmanuel Dennis and Ademola Lookman, who spent last season on loan at Leicester City, were also on the score sheet for Jose Peseiro's Nigeria.

Napoli striker Osimhen, 23, now has 15 goals in 22 international caps.

Sao Tome e Principe are ranked 183 in the world by Fifa and had to come through a preliminary qualifying tie against Mauritius to reach the group stage.

The islanders were then thrown out of qualifying for fielding an ineligible player - but Sao Tome were subsequently reinstated just nine days before Group A got under way following a successful appeal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nigeria join holders Senegal, Algeria, Burkina Faso and Mali with two wins from their first two qualifiers, with the next two rounds of matches scheduled for September.

Powerful Super Eagles cruise to three points
Nigeria began their campaign by coming from behind to beat Sierra Leone 2-1 on Thursday, and Osimhen and Moses Simon did the damage in the first half in Agadir.

Osimhen was set up by Simon for the opener in the ninth minute and returned the favour before the Napoli forward laid on the third for Terem Moffi two minutes before the break.

Nigeria carried on where they left off in the second half as Osimhen grabbed his second three minutes after the restart and Stoke midfielder Peter Etebo netted a powerful free-kick in the 55th minute.

Moffi bagged his second on the hour mark and Lookman quickly made it 7-0.

Oshimen completed his hat-trick in the 65th minute then netted his fourth with six minutes remaining and Dennis rounded off the scoring with an injury-time penalty.

All three designated home sides on Monday are being forced to play outside of their countries because they do not have stadia fit to host international football.

Sierra Leone face Guinea-Bissau in Group A's other game (16:00 GMT) and Liberia take on Morocco in Group K at 19:00 GMT.

Liberia are set to stage their home qualifying games in Morocco - despite being in the same group as the North Africans and an unsuccessful protest from fellow Group K opponents South Africa.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Aswani
Egg
Egg
Re: Victor Osimhen nets four in 10-0 win for Nigeria in Nations Cup qualifier

Post by Aswani »

To many offsides, he got tagged way too often.

He needs to learn, in game, how to change his stride regardless of how late the ball is released.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Aswani wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:16 pm To many offsides, he got tagged way too often.

He needs to learn, in game, how to change his stride regardless of how late the ball is released.
15 goals and 7 assists in 23 games for the SE
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:19 pm
Aswani wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:16 pm To many offsides, he got tagged way too often.

You are posting his stats for what? He didn’t say Victor sucked or that he needs to be dropped. Just that the guy needs to learn to stay onside. We see it in his game for both club & country, and in good or bad pitch.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

packerland wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:32 pm

You are posting his stats for what? He didn’t say Victor sucked or that he needs to be dropped. Just that the guy needs to learn to stay onside. We see it in his game for both club & country, and in good or bad pitch.
Ha! :ohmy:
Learning is now a taboo word in Nigerian soccer.
Don’t ever say it again!!!
Tufiakwa.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Definitely.
In a tight game, those offsides could be make or break.
I lost count of how many times he was caught offside, but from the 15 minute highlights, he was caught 4x in the first half alone.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

He needs to time his runs better, though to be fair to him, most of those off side calls were too close to call.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Moses Simon has played superbly in these two games. 1 goal and 4 assists. The first goal cross that met Victor's head was excellent. I noticed how silently his detractors have been lately ... :)
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:47 pm

Tufiakwa.
We will learn. Afterall, we are very good obedient and humble n133ers! And when the white man tells us to learn, we have to tuck our tails between our collective legs and continue to learn. yes massa, no massa, what shall i do, massa. :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I agree. He needs to time his run better. And his teammates need to be in synch with him. Timing is everything.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tufiakwa.
BP and them wan kill me when I mentioned this based on his Napoli games, I learn...I mean decided to just sharap and leave am....but bobo no sabi wetin be onsides, even arguing with the linesman when he was clearly miles offside ahead of the ball and last defender....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:48 pm

I agree. He needs to time his run better. And his teammates need to be in synch with him. Timing is everything.
Its not his teammates, its him, look at the disallowed goal that came from Zaidu's cross, he could see across the line where Zaidu and the ball was and that he himself was ahead of the ball as well as the defender, but just kept running more and more offsides, what could Zaidu do there to better time it? He put in the low cross as he should do but our boy doesn't seem to gerrit...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:33 pm

Tufiakwa.
BP and them wan kill me when I mentioned this based on his Napoli games, I learn...I mean decided to just sharap and leave am....but bobo no sabi wetin be onsides, even arguing with the linesman when he was clearly miles offside ahead of the ball and last defender....
Maybe he will “take correction” because na black man dey catch am, warn am.
He doesn’t want to offend danfo driver by ‘learning’ from any other race, as a proud black man determined to prove to the world that he too is intelligent and can understand things just like anybody else.

Well, that’s what danfo driver dem advise cos that’s where they are still at in 2022. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Its not his teammates, its him, look at the disallowed goal that came from Zaidu's cross, he could see across the line where Zaidu and the ball was and that he himself was ahead of the ball as well as the defender, but just kept running more and more offsides, what could Zaidu do there to better time it? He put in the low cross as he should do but our boy doesn't seem to gerrit...
He’ll learn.
Oops!
I take that back.
He will have to become more ‘environmentally’ aware. :idea:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:43 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:35 pm

He’ll learn.
Oops!
I take that back.
He will have to become more ‘environmentally’ aware. :idea:
I hope so, but its just these kinds (min 4:43 in the video) that make me wonder if he actually has the sensibilities to acquire the required awareness lol, worse is he was arguing with the linemans afterwards...

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:38 pm

Tufiakwa.
We will learn. Afterall, we are very good obedient and humble n133ers! And when the white man tells us to learn, we have to tuck our tails between our collective legs and continue to learn. yes massa, no massa, what shall i do, massa. :rotf: :rotf:
This is why you are a blockhead, with a loud mouth to boot. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You’re stuck in the 70s “I’m black and proud!” era, in which you think you have to prove ‘The White Man’ has nothing to offer because you too get small sense and are ‘somebody’.

Move up. Your race has long left that repressed mindset behind.
Still looking to validate yourself when nobody ask you kweshon.. :rotf:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Abbey wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:11 pm Moses Simon has played superbly in these two games. 1 goal and 4 assists. The first goal cross that met Victor's head was excellent. I noticed how silently his detractors have been lately ... :)
Simon has RIGHTLY been criticized for the vast majority of his performances in the last 3 or 4 years.

He has stepped up. It seems all of our players have improved under Peseiro. Decision making, hustle, pressing, movement. Its all improved.

Simon has now consolidated his position as SE starter, that doesn't make past criticisms illegitimate.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Chai at the end when Osimehn scored an offside goal the commentator actually said "Osimehn could have had 10 goals himself today"

Is he lying ? I think not.

Osimehn is good, but he gotta improve on this his offside thing. It cost us a place in Qatar for fecks sake !!!!

simple stuff that world class players execute.

He also misses a lot of sitters. Even one of his goals he shot right at the keeper and it went through his legs.

gotta improve. We wont be playing Sao Tome where you will get this many chances. Any haters who say otherwise go hug a transformer.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 pm
This is why you are a blockhead, with a loud mouth to boot. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You’re stuck in the 70s “I’m black and proud!” era, in which you think you have to prove ‘The White Man’ has nothing to offer because you too get small sense and are ‘somebody’.

Move up. Your race has long left that repressed mindset behind.
Still looking to validate yourself when nobody ask you kweshon.. :rotf:
How is ****? I heard he is still looking for work. My church is looking for someone to coach our Legion of Mary team. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:44 pm Chai at the end when Osimehn scored an offside goal the commentator actually said "Osimehn could have had 10 goals himself today"

Osimehn is good, but he gotta improve on this his offside thing. It cost us a place in Qatar for fecks sake !!!!

He also misses a lot of sitters. Even one of his goals he shot right at the keeper and it went through his legs.

gotta improve. We wont be playing Sao Tome where you will get this many chances. Any haters who say otherwise go hug a transformer.
at 23 years old I hope he has a lot, a lot to improve. I hope we are only seeing less than 20% of what he can be at the age of 27. May God not let this be his peak.

You guys are the one making this a big deal, talking like anyone thinks Osimhen should be a finished product. :rotf: :rotf: i hope this is him, at his shittiest!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:02 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:44 pm Chai at the end when Osimehn scored an offside goal the commentator actually said "Osimehn could have had 10 goals himself today"

at 23 years old I hope he has a lot, a lot to improve. I hope we are only seeing less than 20% of what he can be at the age of 27. May God not let this be his peak.

You guys are the one making this a big deal, talking like anyone thinks Osimhen should be a finished product. :rotf: :rotf: i hope this is him, at his shittiest!
So….basically you agree, he needs to improve…hopefully he does…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:25 pm

Why would anyone say he doesnt need to improve? :? His finishing, his movement, his temperament, his passing and playmaking ability... there is a lot to improve upon.

Again, is there someone here who has argued with you guys that Osimhen does not need to improve? at 23 years old??? :shock:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:28 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:25 pm

Why would anyone say he doesnt need to improve? :? His finishing, his movement, his temperament, his passing and playmaking ability... there is a lot to improve upon.

Again, is there someone here who has argued with you guys that Osimhen does not need to improve? at 23 years old??? :shock:
So allow us to list the things he needs to improve on in peace…abi? :taunt: First being that useless colored hair hehe
Super Eagus 4 Life!