How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

Victor Osimhen -- 9.0 -- Victor was always going to score against the Islanders and that was predictable when the fixtures were announced. He notched four today plus two assists and is now on a tremendous goal scoring clip that has suddenly skidded past Seguin Odegbami, Thompson Usiyan, and Rashidi Yekini in the record book. However, he missed at least two clear chances and had one ruled out for offside.
In the end, the goal count was Victor Osimhen with four (adding two assists) equaling the Nigerian individual record held jointly by Rashidi Yekini, Joseph Aghoghovia, and Elkanah Onyeali. Osimhen's current scoring clip of 0.68 is ahead of Yekini (0.58) and Usiyen (0.60) but behind Elkanah onyeali at 0.79. Others on the scoresheet today were Moffi with a brace, Simon, Etebo, Lookman, and Dennis.
Details of the record setting game can be found by clicking on this link: http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2022/06/n ... in-of.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 35585
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:25 am
Location: ßos✞on ✈️ Mo✞own ✈️ Lægos
Contact:
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by theYemster »

For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11598
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
Prof, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
I am happy
User avatar
ogasir
Egg
Egg
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:41 am
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by ogasir »

Under Gernot Rohr we would have won 2-1
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
Prof, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Dammy,

I think you mix things here. If you read Oliseh's book, this is not about the Manager spending his time on these issues. Training for set pieces require a lot of time to be very good at it. Oliseh pointed out that the club free kick takers spend tons of time AFTER training to perfect their craft. The question is how many SE guys do that. Etebo put one away todaY. But we have seen Simon do the same before but are these players relatively consistent at it? I hope that they can dedicate there time to it and not expect Peseiro to do this for them.

On training mannequins, no one has disagreed on its use. Even U-14s use mannequins here. The key is the hours spent working on this with such mannequins. I do not know enough about whether Simon and Etebo or any others actually dedicate timer at their clubs and/or SE to perfect this craft.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

ogasir wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:18 pm Under Gernot Rohr we would have won 2-1
Ogasir,

We would have won by a multiple margin but I doubt that it would have been any thing close to 10. I get your point. As we all know, Rohr was quite conservative even playing against an overwhelmed opponent. As for Peseiro, I believe he will STILL work on some cracks. For instance, are we really sure that the issue with Ndidi''s absence was really solved? I realize that Etebo did well, as I mentioned in my report on the previous game after Aribo's failure there BUT was Etebo really tested today? Nope.

Then, Aina has not really distinguished himself at the defensive end in a few games under Peseiro. Then Salisu really lost concentration a number of times today.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11598
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:55 pm
ogasir wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:18 pm Under Gernot Rohr we would have won 2-1
Ogasir,

We would have won by a multiple margin but I doubt that it would have been any thing close to 10. I get your point. As we all know, Rohr was quite conservative even playing against an overwhelmed opponent. As for Peseiro, I believe he will STILL work on some cracks. For instance, are we really sure that the issue with Ndidi''s absence was really solved? I realize that Etebo did well, as I mentioned in my report on the previous game after Aribo's failure there BUT was Etebo really tested today? Nope.

Then, Aina has not really distinguished himself at the defensive end in a few games under Peseiro. Then Salisu really lost concentration a number of times today.
Sanusi was quite unprofessional with the number is times he lost concentration today. However, he's a quality player and can do better than that.
I am happy
User avatar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11598
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
Prof, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Dammy,

I think you mix things here. If you read Oliseh's book, this is not about the Manager spending his time on these issues. Training for set pieces require a lot of time to be very good at it. Oliseh pointed out that the club free kick takers spend tons of time AFTER training to perfect their craft. The question is how many SE guys do that. Etebo put one away todaY. But we have seen Simon do the same before but are these players relatively consistent at it? I hope that they can dedicate there time to it and not expect Peseiro to do this for them.

On training mannequins, no one has disagreed on its use. Even U-14s use mannequins here. The key is the hours spent working on this with such mannequins. I do not know enough about whether Simon and Etebo or any others actually dedicate timer at their clubs and/or SE to perfect this craft.
Prof, it's not about a manager spending his time on this issues. It's about a manager ensuring that the right equipment is available for his players to train, so they can perform at their optimum during matches.
Like you rightly pointed out, that even U14s have it in the United States, over here, my son's U10 team had more training equipment than Eguavoen's SE.
My worry was that if in 2022, a manager overlooks such BASIC equipment, does it not point out how archaic his training methods are or he's unprepared for the job?
I am happy
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
Prof, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Dammy,

I think you mix things here. If you read Oliseh's book, this is not about the Manager spending his time on these issues. Training for set pieces require a lot of time to be very good at it. Oliseh pointed out that the club free kick takers spend tons of time AFTER training to perfect their craft. The question is how many SE guys do that. Etebo put one away todaY. But we have seen Simon do the same before but are these players relatively consistent at it? I hope that they can dedicate there time to it and not expect Peseiro to do this for them.

On training mannequins, no one has disagreed on its use. Even U-14s use mannequins here. The key is the hours spent working on this with such mannequins. I do not know enough about whether Simon and Etebo or any others actually dedicate timer at their clubs and/or SE to perfect this craft.
Prof, it's not about a manager spending his time on this issues. It's about a manager ensuring that the right equipment is available for his players to train, so they can perform at their optimum during matches.
Like you rightly pointed out, that even U14s have it in the United States, over here, my son's U10 team had more training equipment than Eguavoen's SE.
My worry was that if in 2022, a manager overlooks such BASIC equipment, does it not point out how archaic his training methods are or he's unprepared for the job?
I have no problems a manager making such or other equipment that they consider useful available for training. It surely helps. I doubt that anyone would dispute that at all. The challenge is getting these guys to become dedicated to the craft beyond the few minutes of repetition or work on aspects that the Manager offers during the team training. My sense of proficiency in this matters in reading what some players have written about this. Ronaldo writes about hours on end that he spends on it and Oliseh wrote about how certain players spent such hours at his club. I sense that our players are headed to the bus right after each team training and do not spend hours working on stuff like this. Maybe, Peseiro can ensure that the equipment is there and that one of these guys can actually dedicate time on it during the few days of the get together.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
Damunk
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 47856
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Damunk »

Osimhen equaled Yekini’s record of scoring 4 goals for the SE in one match.
That record has stood from when Nigeria beat Burkina Faso 7-1 in 1991, over 30 years ago.

If I’m not mistaken (which I might be), that was Finidi George’s SE debut. Either that, or he scored his first goal for the national team.
Football poetry.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
donadoni
Egg
Egg
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:18 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by donadoni »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:30 am Osimhen equaled Yekini’s record of scoring 4 goals for the SE in one match.
That record has stood from when Nigeria beat Burkina Faso 7-1 in 1991, over 30 years ago.

If I’m not mistaken (which I might be), that was Finidi George’s SE debut. Either that, or he scored his first goal for the national team.
Football poetry.
Yes I remember you watching that Burkina match - it was when we were first introduced to the wonder of Finidi George.
User avatar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11598
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:24 am
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
Prof, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Dammy,

I think you mix things here. If you read Oliseh's book, this is not about the Manager spending his time on these issues. Training for set pieces require a lot of time to be very good at it. Oliseh pointed out that the club free kick takers spend tons of time AFTER training to perfect their craft. The question is how many SE guys do that. Etebo put one away todaY. But we have seen Simon do the same before but are these players relatively consistent at it? I hope that they can dedicate there time to it and not expect Peseiro to do this for them.

On training mannequins, no one has disagreed on its use. Even U-14s use mannequins here. The key is the hours spent working on this with such mannequins. I do not know enough about whether Simon and Etebo or any others actually dedicate timer at their clubs and/or SE to perfect this craft.
Prof, it's not about a manager spending his time on this issues. It's about a manager ensuring that the right equipment is available for his players to train, so they can perform at their optimum during matches.
Like you rightly pointed out, that even U14s have it in the United States, over here, my son's U10 team had more training equipment than Eguavoen's SE.
My worry was that if in 2022, a manager overlooks such BASIC equipment, does it not point out how archaic his training methods are or he's unprepared for the job?
I have no problems a manager making such or other equipment that they consider useful available for training. It surely helps. I doubt that anyone would dispute that at all. The challenge is getting these guys to become dedicated to the craft beyond the few minutes of repetition or work on aspects that the Manager offers during the team training. My sense of proficiency in this matters in reading what some players have written about this. Ronaldo writes about hours on end that he spends on it and Oliseh wrote about how certain players spent such hours at his club. I sense that our players are headed to the bus right after each team training and do not spend hours working on stuff like this. Maybe, Peseiro can ensure that the equipment is there and that one of these guys can actually dedicate time on it during the few days of the get together.
I agree with you totally but they need the equipment to perfect their skills and if it's not available, how do they practice dead balls for instance?
Imagine a player horning his skills at club level with the right equipment only to get to the national team camp and has no similar equipment for 4 or 5 days in the camp, do you think that player would be at his best in dead ball situations for example during a match?
Any good professional will either have or demand the right equipment to do their job properly.
I am happy
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:23 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:24 am
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm For years I kept saying those guys needed to work on their crosses and set pieces. Good things happen when you whip in a crisp cross into the box. Etebo's freekick wasn't half bad either. They just need to keep practicing them over and over again during their own personal time and not only when they get to camp.
TheYemster,

You are correct about the practicing aspect. Oliseh makes this clear in his book. He wrote about how the set piece experts at the clubs where he played would spent hours after practice (When all others have left for home) practicing on set pieces. This really is not what the coaches even dedicate a lot of time. A lot of times, the individual player must spend hours on that craft.
Prof, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Dammy,

I think you mix things here. If you read Oliseh's book, this is not about the Manager spending his time on these issues. Training for set pieces require a lot of time to be very good at it. Oliseh pointed out that the club free kick takers spend tons of time AFTER training to perfect their craft. The question is how many SE guys do that. Etebo put one away todaY. But we have seen Simon do the same before but are these players relatively consistent at it? I hope that they can dedicate there time to it and not expect Peseiro to do this for them.

On training mannequins, no one has disagreed on its use. Even U-14s use mannequins here. The key is the hours spent working on this with such mannequins. I do not know enough about whether Simon and Etebo or any others actually dedicate timer at their clubs and/or SE to perfect this craft.
Prof, it's not about a manager spending his time on this issues. It's about a manager ensuring that the right equipment is available for his players to train, so they can perform at their optimum during matches.
Like you rightly pointed out, that even U14s have it in the United States, over here, my son's U10 team had more training equipment than Eguavoen's SE.
My worry was that if in 2022, a manager overlooks such BASIC equipment, does it not point out how archaic his training methods are or he's unprepared for the job?
I have no problems a manager making such or other equipment that they consider useful available for training. It surely helps. I doubt that anyone would dispute that at all. The challenge is getting these guys to become dedicated to the craft beyond the few minutes of repetition or work on aspects that the Manager offers during the team training. My sense of proficiency in this matters in reading what some players have written about this. Ronaldo writes about hours on end that he spends on it and Oliseh wrote about how certain players spent such hours at his club. I sense that our players are headed to the bus right after each team training and do not spend hours working on stuff like this. Maybe, Peseiro can ensure that the equipment is there and that one of these guys can actually dedicate time on it during the few days of the get together.
I agree with you totally but they need the equipment to perfect their skills and if it's not available, how do they practice dead balls for instance?
Imagine a player horning his skills at club level with the right equipment only to get to the national team camp and has no similar equipment for 4 or 5 days in the camp, do you think that player would be at his best in dead ball situations for example during a match?
Any good professional will either have or demand the right equipment to do their job properly.
Dammy

I have no problem with a manager using any equipment that they wish. I just hope that players, on their own will invest their time and effort in honing their skills for improvement because the reality is that time required to do such is limited under the new rules of national team training periods. Most if those proficient in setpieces do quite a lot on their own and that is even when they are far away from a national team camp.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
donadoni
Egg
Egg
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:18 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by donadoni »

donadoni wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:03 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:30 am Osimhen equaled Yekini’s record of scoring 4 goals for the SE in one match.
That record has stood from when Nigeria beat Burkina Faso 7-1 in 1991, over 30 years ago.

If I’m not mistaken (which I might be), that was Finidi George’s SE debut. Either that, or he scored his first goal for the national team.
Football poetry.
Yes I remember you watching that Burkina match - it was when we were first introduced to the wonder of Finidi George.
Maybe asst coach Finidi brought some special tips :)
User avatar
chopachop
Egg
Egg
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:19 am
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by chopachop »

Chei, can't believe what I am reading here.
We have a saying that "water always finds its level"
User avatar
packerland
Egg
Egg
Posts: 5039
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Wisconsin
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by packerland »

I don’t even count that we played anybody. I’m waiting until September. The SE have a habit of raising your hopes up, getting you to buy in only to crush it later.
"MILF 4 Life"
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21380
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:34 am I don’t even count that we played anybody. I’m waiting until September. The SE have a habit of raising your hopes up, getting you to buy in only to crush it later.
packerland,

Live in the moment. If you support the Packers, are you not already used to hope raising and disappointment? LOL. :???:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg
Posts: 3260
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: USA
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by KIZONZO »

Rohr would have told us that we need to respect Sao Tome before the match was played. He would probably have said at the press conference how Sao Tome are a dangerous side and how motivated they would be since they lost their first match and how they will go all out since their will be no fans at the stadium.

Thank God we didn't have to deal with anything like that and we won convincingly!!!
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
User avatar
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 31000
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Gotti »

Here's the Santomean view (translated from Portuguese)...:D
https://www.telanon.info/desporto/2022/ ... o-futebol/

SPORTCAN”2023″: STP vs Nigeria «there is no friendship in football»
by Non-Screen Posted on June 14, 2022

Nigeria showed this Monday (13) that in football there is no friendship, by beating the São Tomé national team, by 0-10, in a game of the second round of qualifying group A for the African Cup of Nations, CAN”2023″ .

The game that could even be of glory for São Tomé and Príncipe, who was playing for the first time against his friend and neighbor “Nigeria”, turned out to be a nightmare, with the opponent ignoring the logic of friendship and supplanting “Falcão e Papagaio” by an expressive 0-10, to the dismay of a people who, in recent times, have not had much reason to celebrate.

Because it was a game between friends, the people of São Tomé believed that they could even lose, but never because of this large number, which deeply hurts the pride of a people, which has football as its king sport, but which in recent times, has not managed to justify the corona.

0-10 or 10-0, it leaves deep marks, but it's not the end of the line, because the Santomean team will face four more games in this campaign to the final phase of CAN”2023″, which will take place in Côte d'Ivoire, for Therefore, he will have to raise his head and look for motivation to face the next duels with more firmness and organization, which will not be easy either.

As for the film of the game, which will go down in the history of Santomean football, with regard to the negative result, in a qualifying group stage for the CAN, it started to be built at nine minutes, through Vitor Osimhen, who would be the great “executioner” of national chess.

At 28 m', Simon also decided to enter the game, making it 2-0, which near the break, 43 m', would win another number by Moffi (3-0)

Contrary to the initial stage, where he entered the steps, the second half brought a more aggressive, pressing and effective Nigeria, starting with everything on top of the national team, which without argument, practically limited to assisting the opponent, who at 48 m', for Vitor Osimhen, reached 4-0.
From now on, it was just adding up to 10-0 or 0-10, Etebo (55), Moffi (60), Lookman (63), Vitor Osimhen (65 and 84) and Dennis (92).

With this result, São Tomé and Príncipe seeded the last position without any points, while Nigeria isolated itself at the top with six points, pushing Guinea-Bissau to second place, with four points, after the tie (2 -2) against Sierra Leone, which reinforced the third place with one point.

Results
STP vs Nigeria, 0-10
Sierra Leone vs Guinea – Bissau, 2-2

Ranking
1st Nigeria,2 games/6 points
2nd Guinea-Bissau,2/4
3rd Sierra Leone, 2/1
4th STP, 2/0

Martins dos Santos
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


#FREESENEGAL
User avatar
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 19784
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:47 am
packerland wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:34 am I don’t even count that we played anybody. I’m waiting until September. The SE have a habit of raising your hopes up, getting you to buy in only to crush it later.
packerland,

Live in the moment. If you support the Packers, are you not already used to hope raising and disappointment? LOL. :???:
Uncle, what a life. Imagine always postponing happiness. I dont understand the fixation on refusing to be happy. Only on CE! :rotf:
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 31000
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Gotti »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pmProf, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Some of you folks just get bamboozled by ephemeral stuff...

We get that you don't like Eguavoen (nor apparently any IC), but exactly what new "proper training equipment" did Peseiro bring in that suddenly improved the SE's crossings and dead-ball? Is it the same "proper training equipment" that has WORSENED Simon's free-kicks and corner-kicks?! Is it the same "proper training equipment that rendered Awaziem (and to a just a little lesser extent, Aina) virtually USELESS in putting in proper crosses into the opposition's danger areas? So, was Rohr also lacking these "proper training equipment" (among his many other obvious shortcomings), since the SE did fork-all with dead-balls under Rohr?

From the videos that ALL of us have witnessed, all that Peseiro brought in was a VARIATION of the pretty much same sorts of bits and bobs that most (if not virtually all) coaches use for the flexibility and physiological aspects of training. Frankly, precious little or NOTHING in the videos that we have all seen relate to actually playing the ball, much less to do with dead balls (or crosses) - except of course the usual passing around in a circle while a couple of players try to intercept the ball that we have seen under EVERY coach. Abegi, ease up on the idolatory and veneration because we beat a hapless Sao Tome team. It's a fabulous start (relatively), but sterner tests lay ahead.

Meanwhile, it's curious that players spend MONTHS on end training every day at their clubs (presumably with the same sorts of "proper training equipment"), but you nonetheless want us to accept the tortured logic that it is the FEW DAYS that they get to spend at the national team's camp preparing for games (with disparate sets of players) that is the determining factor with respect to their dead-ball or crossing prowess. Does this mean that all these foreign clubs where these players spends the overwhelming majority of their training time (with batteries of foreign coaches, specialized assistants and dedicated training facilities) also lack these "proper training equipment" that you speak of?

It's not a coincidence that the players who are good at dead-balls and crossings at the club level (Simon, Bassey, Sanusi, etc.) are the SAME players who also excel at it in the national team. I know it's a "wild" theory, but perhaps it has less to do with "mannequins" than with basic natural talent and innate skillsets (further burnished and polish by hard work and repetition, of which training is only part thereof). Frankly, it would be rather delusional to contend (much less to actually believe) that players who've never scored from dead-balls at club levels all season long (Iwobi, Iheanacho, Chukweze, etc.) would've suddenly started doing so if only Eguavoen hadn't supposedly denied them so-called "proper training equipment"?

BTW, we have seen recently our players at U17 and U20 levels (even the female U20s) score magnificent goals from dead-balls and repeatedly put in very good crosses. Perhaps Peseiro lent them these "proper training equipment"?! Without prejudice to the obvious utility of training equipment, I am personally much more impressed with Peseiro's football philosophy, tactical flexibility, team spirit and attitude, and his personal charisma, than a bunch of mannequins!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


#FREESENEGAL
User avatar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11598
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Re: How Nigeria Set Records in 10-0 Smashing of Hapless Sao Tome

Post by Dammy »

Gotti wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:21 am
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:15 pmProf, this where proper training equipment comes in. When I mentioned this issue earlier, you sneered because a local coach in Eguavoen didn't have the necessary equipment. Peseiro has come in and you need to see the various football training equipment that the SE are using in their training videos.
All those set piece experts Oliseh referred to use those training mannequins to perfect their skills. What's the point of players having those equipment in their clubs but coming to the national team only to train with cones and 11 v 11.
I hope you get my point now as we both wish the SE well.
Some of you folks just get bamboozled by ephemeral stuff...

We get that you don't like Eguavoen (nor apparently any IC), but exactly what new "proper training equipment" did Peseiro bring in that suddenly improved the SE's crossings and dead-ball? Is it the same "proper training equipment" that has WORSENED Simon's free-kicks and corner-kicks?! Is it the same "proper training equipment that rendered Awaziem (and to a just a little lesser extent, Aina) virtually USELESS in putting in proper crosses into the opposition's danger areas? So, was Rohr also lacking these "proper training equipment" (among his many other obvious shortcomings), since the SE did fork-all with dead-balls under Rohr?

From the videos that ALL of us have witnessed, all that Peseiro brought in was a VARIATION of the pretty much same sorts of bits and bobs that most (if not virtually all) coaches use for the flexibility and physiological aspects of training. Frankly, precious little or NOTHING in the videos that we have all seen relate to actually playing the ball, much less to do with dead balls (or crosses) - except of course the usual passing around in a circle while a couple of players try to intercept the ball that we have seen under EVERY coach. Abegi, ease up on the idolatory and veneration because we beat a hapless Sao Tome team. It's a fabulous start (relatively), but sterner tests lay ahead.

Meanwhile, it's curious that players spend MONTHS on end training every day at their clubs (presumably with the same sorts of "proper training equipment"), but you nonetheless want us to accept the tortured logic that it is the FEW DAYS that they get to spend at the national team's camp preparing for games (with disparate sets of players) that is the determining factor with respect to their dead-ball or crossing prowess. Does this mean that all these foreign clubs where these players spends the overwhelming majority of their training time (with batteries of foreign coaches, specialized assistants and dedicated training facilities) also lack these "proper training equipment" that you speak of?

It's not a coincidence that the players who are good at dead-balls and crossings at the club level (Simon, Bassey, Sanusi, etc.) are the SAME players who also excel at it in the national team. I know it's a "wild" theory, but perhaps it has less to do with "mannequins" than with basic natural talent and innate skillsets (further burnished and polish by hard work and repetition, of which training is only part thereof). Frankly, it would be rather delusional to contend (much less to actually believe) that players who've never scored from dead-balls at club levels all season long (Iwobi, Iheanacho, Chukweze, etc.) would've suddenly started doing so if only Eguavoen hadn't supposedly denied them so-called "proper training equipment"?

BTW, we have seen recently our players at U17 and U20 levels (even the female U20s) score magnificent goals from dead-balls and repeatedly put in very good crosses. Perhaps Peseiro lent them these "proper training equipment"?! Without prejudice to the obvious utility of training equipment, I am personally much more impressed with Peseiro's football philosophy, tactical flexibility, team spirit and attitude, and his personal charisma, than a bunch of mannequins!
It's obvious your support is for local coaches and not the SE! It's on record on this forum that I supported Eguavoen and even called for him to be retained for the WCQs against Ghana despite the AFCON disappointment. I have supported all local coaches appointed for the SE and I remember your surprise that I supported Keshi despite my reservations. So don't turn my comments into a local coach v foreign coach debate! It seems to be the only prism where you view things and you seem not to be emotionally matured to understand that there can be different perspectives without assuming motives.
My comments regarding equipment is all about the SE having the proper resources to do their job and in.2022 for the national team to be training like they did under Father Tiko ( running around the pitch, 11 v 11etc) in 1977 is highly unacceptable to me. This is how the SE trained for almost one month under Eguavoen prior to and during AFCON. If that does not bother you, then you probably do not have the real interests of the SE at heart.
Every profession has what's called " Tools of the trade" and I have watched videos of the SE training under Eguavoen and Peseiro and the difference is like night and day!
I am happy

Post Reply