Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Post by Tobi17 »

We now have a star :clap:

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Post by Dammy »

We really need to give credit to Van Bronkhurst who persevered with him despite some initial mistakes in his game. The confidence from Van Bronkhurst gave him the platform to develop and become the good player he has become today for both club and country.
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Still some areas of his game needs to be tidied up but the guy is showing serious improvements in just one year of being a regular at Rangers. Kudos to him for all the hard work.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I do think we need him at CD at the moment with Ekong struggling to get games at club level, and with Balogun aging. Sanusi can start at LB with Collins on the bench.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

olu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:49 pm I do think we need him at CD at the moment with Ekong struggling to get games at club level, and with Balogun aging. Sanusi can start at LB with Collins on the bench.
I agree. I know people don't want to hear this but if we are not going to beg Akpoguma, I think we should pair Bassey with Ndidi as soon as we get a good DM replacement for Ndidi. Ekong, Omeruo(God bless him) and Ajayi no be am. Balogun is good but he is old, currently clubless and will lose more speed in the future.

Ndidi might take his tackling to the next level and maybe get back to the way he used to scorch long distance shots but I'm not sure his passing and overall offensive game will improve that much. I could be wrong.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:10 am We really need to give credit to Van Bronkhurst who persevered with him despite some initial mistakes in his game. The confidence from Van Bronkhurst gave him the platform to develop and become the good player he has become today for both club and country.
Steven Gerrard deserves much more of the credit...
He signed him, turned him from just a LB to a LB, LWB and LCB, and installed him as starter over a good Borna Barisic.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Gotti wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:14 pm
Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:10 am We really need to give credit to Van Bronkhurst who persevered with him despite some initial mistakes in his game. The confidence from Van Bronkhurst gave him the platform to develop and become the good player he has become today for both club and country.
Steven Gerrard deserves much more of the credit...
He signed him, turned him from just a LB to a LB, LWB and LCB, and installed him as starter over a good Borna Barisic.
Stephen Gerrard has been good for Naija boys. He tried with Ejaria but that one wanted prime time too soon. Not sure what happened with Umar. But with Aribo and Bassey he took a chance and its paid off.

Having said that, it was really Van Bronkhurst who took Bassey's game to the next level in the last 6 months.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

I don't want him playing a position where we miss out on his crosses.

Dude can deliver a cross.

Kai!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 pm I don't want him playing a position where we miss out on his crosses.

Kai!
I know what you mean but Zaidu is at least decent with his crosses like a few early ones that almost reached Vic. I just loved seeing Bassey there hounding opposing players like Taribo used to do, rather than the our current ones that are always backing off afraid to be beaten…when Balogun came in the difference was quite obvious.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:27 pm
Cellular wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 pm I don't want him playing a position where we miss out on his crosses.

Kai!
I know what you mean but Zaidu is at least decent with his crosses like a few early ones that almost reached Vic. I just loved seeing Bassey there hounding opposing players like Taribo used to do, rather than the our current ones that are always backing off afraid to be beaten…when Balogun came in the difference was quite obvious.
im not sure why Ndah hasn’t been reinvited since AFCON.
He can’t be any worse than any of the CDs we currently have.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:31 pm

Kai!
Ndah na project! :lol:
I am happy
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ozonwafor, Ndah, Bassey, Zaidu and Aina are the new guys in that defence...the Ekong/Balogun/Omeruo era is more or less over, but we will need them around to provide experience from the bench.

We also need to try cap-tie the likes of Felix Agu, Uduokhai and Torunarigha if they want to represent Nigeria.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:14 pm Ozonwafor, Ndah, Bassey, Zaidu and Aina are the new guys in that defence...the Ekong/Balogun/Omeruo era is more or less over, but we will need them around to provide experience from the bench.

We also need to try cap-tie the likes of Felix Agu, Uduokhai and Torunarigha if they want to represent Nigeria.
Agu has already signified his intention to play for Nigeria. Udokhai and Torunarigha are still holding out and I believe we should look beyond them. We also need to bring Akpoguma back into the fold.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:14 pm Ozonwafor, Ndah, Bassey, Zaidu and Aina are the new guys in that defence...the Ekong/Balogun/Omeruo era is more or less over, but we will need them around to provide experience from the bench.

Seems West Ham and Wolfsburg are after him.
But what is he doing in Gent?
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:57 pm

Kai!
:lol: :lol: :D
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:32 pm

Agu has already signified his intention to play for Nigeria. Udokhai and Torunarigha are still holding out and I believe we should look beyond them. We also need to bring Akpoguma back into the fold.
If not for DNQ we would have locked up some of these guys. I didn’t even know Inaki Williams was still eligible to play for Ghana. Now they are all coming out of the woodwork to play for Ghana.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Kai!
He needs to be reassessed. I like the little cameo I saw of him.

I am still waiting for Peserio to start inviting his own set (type) of players.

**** did a good (decent) job of inviting players.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:08 am

Kai!

Dont be surprised his invitees end up being the same players.
I don’t think anyone in good conscience can say Rohr didn’t consistently invite the best we have on paper, save one or two.
Perereh might get a couple of new so-called ‘rejects’ to join us, but I predict the squad will essentially remain the same.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Ndah has looked good in the South African league, however, I'm curious to see how he fares against better opposition. Wasn't impressed with Valentine when I saw him at the U20's. He may have improved tho since getting regular playing time at Charleroi.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Thank God people don't listen to haters like Emir Kongo head.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:08 am

Kai!

Market don close brah.. :oops:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:44 am We now have a star :clap:

He's a talented young defender who is growing in the game.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves with the Baresi talk...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

txj wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:44 am We now have a star :clap:

He's a talented young defender who is growing in the game.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves with the Baresi talk...
True, but he is showing a lot of promise.
This is the advantage of spotting and going in for some of these guys early - before the 'Big Boyz' ie England, Germany, Italy etc even notice them.

I suspect that if Bassey had gotten this far with all the accolades and we were only now approaching him for the first time, he wouldn't be that eager to jump at the opportunity. England easily move to block the 'smaller' footballing nations simply by sending the right sounds in the player's direction. Dem no send. Eze is a typical example.
Of course, I don't know this for sure, but its a legitimate suspicion.

When Okoye finally 'blows' - which I have no doubt he surely will - all those whining about him being a "4th division player" will finally have no choice but to STFU.

I can't wait. :D