Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 am
Cellular wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:08 am
Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:57 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:31 pm
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:27 pm
Cellular wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 pm I don't want him playing a position where we miss out on his crosses.

Dude can deliver a cross.

Kai!
I know what you mean but Zaidu is at least decent with his crosses like a few early ones that almost reached Vic. I just loved seeing Bassey there hounding opposing players like Taribo used to do, rather than the our current ones that are always backing off afraid to be beaten…when Balogun came in the difference was quite obvious.
im not sure why Ndah hasn’t been reinvited since AFCON.
He can’t be any worse than any of the CDs we currently have.
Ndah na project! :lol:
He needs to be reassessed. I like the little cameo I saw of him.

I am still waiting for Peserio to start inviting his own set (type) of players.

**** did a good (decent) job of inviting players.
Dont be surprised his invitees end up being the same players.
I don’t think anyone in good conscience can say Rohr didn’t consistently invite the best we have on paper, save one or two.
Perereh might get a couple of new so-called ‘rejects’ to join us, but I predict the squad will essentially remain the same.
Damunk

I will be surprised and it won't be because Rohr did not invite those he believed to be the best. Peseiro will view players differently and that is normal. When Rohr arrived, he did not immediately change the team. He did that gradually and Peseiro will do the same.

Already Bournaventire has become core and so has Bassey. The two were not core under Rohr. There will be others. It is organic.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:42 am
Damunk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 am Dont be surprised his invitees end up being the same players.
I don’t think anyone in good conscience can say Rohr didn’t consistently invite the best we have on paper, save one or two.
Perereh might get a couple of new so-called ‘rejects’ to join us, but I predict the squad will essentially remain the same.
Damunk

I will be surprised and it won't be because Rohr did not invite those he believed to be the best. Peseiro will view players differently and that is normal. When Rohr arrived, he did not immediately change the team. He did that gradually and Peseiro will do the same.
Already Bournaventire has become core and so has Bassey. The two were not core under Rohr. There will be others. It is organic.
But Rohr was building from Ground Zero, for obvious reasons, which Peseiro is not having to do.
Bassey that you mentioned was only just emerging, yet Rohr spotted him, and notice that with all the accolades the Bassey ‘revelation’ is given, nobody feels the need to give Rohr’s scouting team any credit whatsoever.
I, of course, will. Credit where due.

Denis has always been on and off but we pray he has matured and is less unpredictable. It was only a few months ago that he was ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ with his AFCON invitation.
I’m not entirely convinced he was a totally innocent party in that fiasco.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:33 am
Damunk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 am Dont be surprised his invitees end up being the same players.
Damunk

But Rohr was building from Ground Zero, for obvious reasons, which Peseiro is not having to do.
Bassey that you mentioned was only just emerging, yet Rohr spotted him, and notice that with all the accolades the Bassey ‘revelation’ is given, nobody feels the need to give Rohr’s scouting team any credit whatsoever.

Denis has always been on and off but we pray he has matured and is less unpredictable. It was only a few months ago that he was ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ with his AFCON invitation.
I think Rohr was transformational for Nigerian football.

He inherited a disintegrated set-up and proceeded to build a team that was competitive and disciplined. He modernised our style of play while still generally preserving the tradition of fast wing play only now with the organisational discipline that made us hard to beat.

He had many flaws and was well past his sell by date in the end. And he never really figured out how to play without Mikel’s midfield control. My suspicion is he didn’t quite realise how quickly Mikel’s powers would wane and never had a plan to adjust to that.

But like all good teams he was focused on making sure we had two options in every position and that there was a constant stream of players to try while keeping a constant spine: Ekong and Ndidi in particular started whenever fit and Moses, Iwobi and Ighalo were also reliables.

His big regret might be the failure to launch of Iheanacho, a massively talented player who he must have thought he could build a team around, only to find he wasn’t quite the one we were waiting.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:44 am
Damunk

He inherited a disintegrated set-up and proceeded to build a team that was competitive and disciplined. He modernised our style of play while still generally preserving the tradition of fast wing play only now with the organisational discipline that made us hard to beat.

He had many flaws and was well past his sell by date in the end. And he never really figured out how to play without Mikel’s midfield control. My suspicion is he didn’t quite realise how quickly Mikel’s powers would wane and never had a plan to adjust to that.

But like all good teams he was focused on making sure we had two options in every position and that there was a constant stream of players to try while keeping a constant spine: Ekong and Ndidi in particular started whenever fit and Moses, Iwobi and Ighalo were also reliables.

His big regret might be the failure to launch of Iheanacho, a massively talented player who he must have thought he could build a team around, only to find he wasn’t quite the one we were waiting.
You know it’s not fashionable in this place to give Rohr any credit, but what you say is true.
Peseiro will do well to build on those foundations which I believe he will do.
A few additions (and definitely subtractions) are in order and I believe those will mainly be in central defence if we know what is good for us.
Ajayi, Ekong, Balogun and Omeruo are on their last legs as far as I am concerned and will only remain relevant until better options come around. As for Awaziem, I really don’t know what’s going on with him and we pray it’s a temporary dip in form for whatever reason.

Ozonwafor, Ndah are already knocking on the door and I pray they are able to step up. Any NPFL player is welcome but he absolutely has to be of the required standard and not there just to fill a quota.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Let us be honest, Mikel, Moses and Ighalo Carried this team during the WC qualifiers in 2017. Once they left, that **** was exposed .

We had zero ideas on scoring and defending. It was embarrassing watching the SE play park the bus and long balls for 90 mins.

We couldn't over run Algeria in the semis. We chose to defend and defend .

After the 1-1 draw in Cameroon, the SE never improved again. The friendlies before the WC was when I realized we aren't going anywhere with ****
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:47 am Let us be honest, Mikel, Moses and Ighalo Carried this team during the WC qualifiers in 2017. Once they left, that **** was exposed .

We had zero ideas on scoring and defending. It was embarrassing watching the SE play park the bus and long balls for 90 mins.

After the 1-1 draw in Cameroon, the SE never improved again. The friendlies before the WC was when I realized we aren't going anywhere with ****
Those friendlies included a massive 2nd half against Argentina where Rohr did what he allegedly never did… shuffled the pack to devastating effect.

The WC itself included a similar rejig against Iceland that blew them away.

And while most would miss it… the instruction to Etebo to get closer to Iwobi and for Musa to stay more central against Cameroun at Afcon completely changed the game.

After the 2019 Afcon, the wheels came off, but that period also led to emergence of the previously unheard of Aribo and, for better or for worse, Okoye.

And across the team, despite an aging central defence, Rohr has left us with options right across the team. He lost his way in the last year or so trying to integrate Iheanacho, but we should be grateful for the state he left us in.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

waka-man wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:18 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:47 am Let us be honest, Mikel, Moses and Ighalo Carried this team during the WC qualifiers in 2017. Once they left, that **** was exposed .

Those friendlies included a massive 2nd half against Argentina where Rohr did what he allegedly never did… shuffled the pack to devastating effect.

And while most would miss it… the instruction to Etebo to get closer to Iwobi and for Musa to stay more central against Cameroun at Afcon completely changed the game.

After the 2019 Afcon, the wheels came off, but that period also led to emergence of the previously unheard of Aribo and, for better or for worse, Okoye.

And across the team, despite an aging central defence, Rohr has left us with options right across the team. He lost his way in the last year or so trying to integrate Iheanacho, but we should be grateful for the state he left us in.
You sabi your football., :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

waka-man wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:18 am

i have posted a few matches. Now tell me what you see
SuperEagles

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

How about posting the matches he won?

Or did he not win any in that period?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:26 am
waka-man wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:44 am
Damunk

You know it’s not fashionable in this place to give Rohr any credit, but what you say is true.
Peseiro will do well to build on those foundations which I believe he will do.
A few additions (and definitely subtractions) are in order and I believe those will mainly be in central defence if we know what is good for us.
Ajayi, Ekong, Balogun and Omeruo are on their last legs as far as I am concerned and will only remain relevant until better options come around. As for Awaziem, I really don’t know what’s going on with him and we pray it’s a temporary dip in form for whatever reason.

Ozonwafor, Ndah are already knocking on the door and I pray they are able to step up. Any NPFL player is welcome but he absolutely has to be of the required standard and not there just to fill a quota.

I think he had a good scouting team.

Peseiro's just started and I suspect as we go further on and he's consolidated on the current squad, he'll start to look further afield...

The NFF and Nigerian support staff can help him move the process faster if they are honest and professional...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I truly despise ****

A foreigner came to our country to destroy our football and focck our women.

Now he has left and has left discord and disharmony amongst our fan base.

Tufiakwa! Black men quarreling over a white man! Who cursed this race?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:12 pm I truly despise ****

Who is quarrelling with you? That's all in your head mate. :rotf:

Quarrelling with the black man.
Quarrelling with 'The' white man.
Weytin remain?
Martians.
Go get your jab. I don tell you. :taunt:
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

txj wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:52 pm How about posting the matches he won?

I’m not even sure what point he is trying to make, or which point of mine he is countering. So I’m gonna walk on by.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

waka-man wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:37 pm
txj wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:52 pm How about posting the matches he won?

I’m not even sure what point he is trying to make, or which point of mine he is countering. So I’m gonna walk on by.
SuperEagles

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk

Damunk

Ground zero or not, managers have personal ideas about players and it will not be different with Peseiro. I already pointed out two players that Rohr did not use much that Peseiro has already begun to use and this in just his first four games. Add Sadiq as No. 3. By next year, there will be more. This is simply the nature of these things and there are various reasons for it. For instance, i predict that Aina, Ajayi/Balogun, Simon, Chukwueze may be on shaky ground as starters. There could be more. There isn't 'ground zero' but changes will and are already occurring.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

3 F. Uzoho
5 W. Troost-Ekong (Dutch)
6 S. Ajayi (English)
2 O. Aina (English)
21 C. Bassey (Italian)
10 J. Aribo (English)
18 A. Iwobi (English)
15 M. Simon
17 U. Sadiq
11 S. Chukwueze
9 V. Osimhen
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:00 pm
Damunk

Damunk

Ground zero or not, managers have personal ideas about players and it will not be different with Peseiro. I already pointed out two players that Rohr did not use much that Peseiro has already begun to use and this in just his first four games. Add Sadiq as No. 3. By next year, there will be more. This is simply the nature of these things and there are various reasons for it. For instance, i predict that Aina, Ajayi/Balogun, Simon, Chukwueze may be on shaky ground as starters. There could be more. There isn't 'ground zero' but changes will and are already occurring.
Prof, you are stating the obvious.
Of course, every manager has his own ideas of who he wants.
What I am saying is that you are likely to see very few new faces that haven’t been called up before and the core of the team will remain the same.
Age and form will eliminate the Baloguns and Ekongs and yes, there will naturally be replacements.

But anyone looking for an overhaul is in for a long, long wait.

We are not talking about a starting 11 here, but the 23 or 28 man squad.

Let’s wait and see.
We all dey here BGG.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Bro, lets give credit where credit is due....

The guy organised Nigerian senior football and set us on a straight and honest path, EVERYONE he invited was invited on merit but in the later years, NFF wore him down.....He is an old man lets not forget.

Just think if the NFF made Egu coach instead of Rohr?....We will be talking about Uchebo being the next Thompson Oliha...

He did alright but the zeal left him a while back...

Peseiro came with the zeal of a young man....and once that goes we will know and it will be time to go....
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:32 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:00 pm
Damunk

Damunk

Prof, you are stating the obvious.
Of course, every manager has his own ideas of who he wants.
What I am saying is that you are likely to see very few new faces that haven’t been called up before and the core of the team will remain the same.
Age and form will eliminate the Baloguns and Ekongs and yes, there will naturally be replacements.

But anyone looking for an overhaul is in for a long, long wait.

We are not talking about a starting 11 here, but the 23 or 28 man squad.

Let’s wait and see.
We all dey here BGG.

Damunk,

Okay, we are then on the same page but let me remind you that if the above is what you mean then we did not see a major overhaul by Gernot Rohr either. It took a while. There are records to verify this and we should not simply speculate. In fact, below is the line up that Rohr used for his first game. All had already appeared for Nigeria prior to Rohr and some continue to appear for Nigeria six years later.

Carl Ikeme (1) – Musa Mohammed (2)+24, William Troost-Ekong (5), Leon Balogun (6), Uwa Echiejile (3) – Ahmed Musa (7), Ogenyi Onazi (17), Mikel Obi (cpt-10) (61st Wilfred Ndidi (4)), Victor Moses (11) Kelechi Iheanacho (10)Odion Ighalo (9) (72nd Brown Ideye (8)).

In fact, Rohr's first additions to the team game in his fourth game v Senegal (Friendly) and the had two new players -- Isaac Success and Kayode Olanrewaju. Next friendly, he introduced 9 players but only Osimhen, Ebuehi, Awaziem, and Onyekuru somewhat. Likes of Agbo, Alampasu, etc were later dropped. The point is that Rohr's team building was not an overhaul at all! It followed the trajectory of normal team building that other Nigerian coaches did before Rohr and what we expect going forward. The only time that I recollect where we had a major overhaul goes back to when Onigbinde came in back in the late 1970s. After that, each Manager has followed a gradual approach. Peseiro is already showing that it will not be different under him. I bet you that by Peseiro's Year 2, his team will have 4 -5 starters that did not appear under Rohr. We already have seen Bassey. There will be others. We are already seeing him committed to Iwobi as an attacking mid, something that Rohr rarely did.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Do you remember when you were a moderator and then you tried to get into a spar with me? And i destroyed you and made sure you quit as a moderator? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You are beneath me. You are comedy to me. Dude, you were a moderator and yet, I am the one who ended that for you. :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:16 pm

Weytin remain?
Martians.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

You are unbelievably delusional and extremely stupid to boot.
You actually believe this?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
When all you need do is …check?

You are so used to lying that you actually convince yourself of your own lies. :clap:
Fortunately for you, you have a few followers here on CE that hang onto your every word and egg you on.

You cross the CE line and see whether I will not personally moderate that your untutored lying mouth like I did the last time.
Sorry about that.
But children in 40+ year old bodies need to be called to order, even if they are in an unfortunate state of arrested development.

Agbalagba like you still doing street. :lol:

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 pm Do you remember when you were a moderator and then you tried to get into a spar with me? And i destroyed you and made sure you quit as a moderator? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You are beneath me. You are comedy to me. Dude, you were a moderator and yet, I am the one who ended that for you. :rotf: :rotf:

Weytin remain?
Martians.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Not once have I ever seen such remnants. They are claiming **** did so and so.. I guess Oliseh also was the mastermind before **** took over the SE. Why stop at that?
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:35 am You are unbelievably delusional and extremely stupid to boot.
You actually believe this?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
When all you need do is …check?

You are so used to lying that you actually convince yourself of your own lies. :clap:
Fortunately for you, you have a few followers here on CE that hang onto your every word and egg you on.

You cross the CE line and see whether I will not personally moderate that your untutored lying mouth like I did the last time.
Sorry about that.
But children in 40+ year old bodies need to be called to order, even if they are in an unfortunate state of arrested development.

Agbalagba like you still doing street. :lol:

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 pm Do you remember when you were a moderator and then you tried to get into a spar with me? And i destroyed you and made sure you quit as a moderator? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You are beneath me. You are comedy to me. Dude, you were a moderator and yet, I am the one who ended that for you. :rotf: :rotf:

Weytin remain?
Martians.
Damunk, don't you get tired of all these fight fight etc.. you've single handedly derailed this thread
SuperEagles