General assessment of Peseiro so far

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
General assessment of Peseiro so far

Post by Tobi17 »

Yes I know it's still early days, and I'm not making this assessment of Peseiro just because we routinely thrashed a really poor opposition but my opinion of Peseiro stems from all the games we've played under him so far. My biggest takeaway from Peseiro's stint so far is his ability to switch things up, God knows we've missed a coach with such versatility...a coach who is willing to adapt to the dynamics of the modern game and isn't so unwilling to try new ideas. I like how he decided to play Bassey as a CB and then switched the LB role to Zaidu (almost as if he knew what Nigerian fans wanted )following Ekong's injury. Another notable quality about him is how he is quick to make subs even at the early half of the game, like against SL when he pulled out Aribo at the start of the second half and immediately brought in Etebo to stabilize the midfied and prevent the SL players from constantly overrunning the midfield as was the case in the first half, since we lacked a proper mobile DM to protect the back for...Etebo came in and effectively shut down the midfield with better mobility and grit.

Also it appears Peseiro is very particular about player roles even while making tactical adjustments, Iwobi seems to be his preferred choice for the deep lying midfield role in a 2 or 3 man midfield, and Iwobi has been massive in that new role so far...it remains to be seen what roles Etebo and Aribo will play once Ndidi returns.
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: General assessment of Peseiro so far

Post by waka-man »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:09 am Yes I know it's still early days, and I'm not making this assessment of Peseiro just because we routinely thrashed a really poor opposition but my opinion of Peseiro stems from all the games we've played under him so far. My biggest takeaway from Peseiro's stint so far is his ability to switch things up, God knows we've missed a coach with such versatility...a coach who is willing to adapt to the dynamics of the modern game and isn't so unwilling to try new ideas. I like how he decided to play Bassey as a CB and then switched the LB role to Zaidu (almost as if he knew what Nigerian fans wanted )following Ekong's injury. Another notable quality about him is how he is quick to make subs even at the early half of the game, like against SL when he pulled out Aribo at the start of the second half and immediately brought in Etebo to stabilize the midfied and prevent the SL players from constantly overrunning the midfield as was the case in the first half, since we lacked a proper mobile DM to protect the back for...Etebo came in and effectively shut down the midfield with better mobility and grit.

Also it appears Peseiro is very particular about player roles even while making tactical adjustments, Iwobi seems to be his preferred choice for the deep lying midfield role in a 2 or 3 man midfield, and Iwobi has been massive in that new role so far...it remains to be seen what roles Etebo and Aribo will play once Ndidi returns.
It’s definitely too early to tell.

Rohr’s switching of the team in the friendly against Argentina in 2017 was the stuff of genius. But I certainly don’t want him back.

I’m hopeful for Coach P and thrilled we thrashed Africa’s 51st ranked teams. But we’re 2-2 under him and the only credible test will come in next year’s Afcon and any top friendlies we play before then.

The great news he’s inherited a talented squad and once he sorts out the centre half and goalkeeping problems, he’ll have an exceptional squad to work with.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

waka-man wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:29 am
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:09 am Yes I know it's still early days, and I'm not making this assessment of Peseiro just because we routinely thrashed a really poor opposition but my opinion of Peseiro stems from all the games we've played under him so far. My biggest takeaway from Peseiro's stint so far is his ability to switch things up, God knows we've missed a coach with such versatility...a coach who is willing to adapt to the dynamics of the modern game and isn't so unwilling to try new ideas. I like how he decided to play Bassey as a CB and then switched the LB role to Zaidu (almost as if he knew what Nigerian fans wanted )following Ekong's injury. Another notable quality about him is how he is quick to make subs even at the early half of the game, like against SL when he pulled out Aribo at the start of the second half and immediately brought in Etebo to stabilize the midfied and prevent the SL players from constantly overrunning the midfield as was the case in the first half, since we lacked a proper mobile DM to protect the back for...Etebo came in and effectively shut down the midfield with better mobility and grit.

Rohr’s switching of the team in the friendly against Argentina in 2017 was the stuff of genius. But I certainly don’t want him back.

I’m hopeful for Coach P and thrilled we thrashed Africa’s 51st ranked teams. But we’re 2-2 under him and the only credible test will come in next year’s Afcon and any top friendlies we play before then.

The great news he’s inherited a talented squad and once he sorts out the centre half and goalkeeping problems, he’ll have an exceptional squad to work with.
The highlighted is an exaggeration. We do not have goal keeping problems. True, we do not have a Mendy, Enyeama. or Courtois but our current goal keepers a pretty decent. Uzoho has been in goal for the last 4 games and has been good. We can't becuase of the one-off mistakes claim we have GK issues. All GKs make errors especially the young ones like we have. I am confident they will come good
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I agree that it is early but the signs are there. I wonder whether what we see now is simply a new manager attempting to find out what works for his team before he settles? It will be unusual for a human not to eventually settle into a routine. We all do and Peseiro will. For me, though, it seems that he is more willing to take the initiative and not depend on the opponent doing so. It is refreshing and this is not about this last game but about the friendlies in the USA. Those signify a marked difference in approach from recent times. We last saw that from likes of Keshi and Westerhoff.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

This is what good teams do.
Thrash teams decisively you are supposed to . Not struggle, drag with them and end up with a draw.
Maybe it's unfair to say we are 2 - 2 under Preserio.
The first 2 games ( Mexico & Ecuador, i doubt if any Coach taking over the team when he did would have done much better. Maybe play defensive for a draw and then everyone go begin shout and complain again.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

For me these are "preliminary games" where the manager is laying out his methods and all. Nothing beyond that...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The beating of Sao Tome was good, but I still think we crossed the 'professional' line in what we did. I think five, or six goals should have been enough. Thereafter, we should have made it a 'practice game' and STOP scoring.

Well, e gud sha, wetin smol pikin like me sabi?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Odas wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:48 pm The beating of Sao Tome was good, but I still think we crossed the 'professional' line in what we did. I think five, or six goals should have been enough. Thereafter, we should have made it a 'practice game' and STOP scoring.

We were playing grown adults not kids so this shouldn’t be an issue or be unsportsmanlike. Their other opponents won’t stop scoring on them after 5 and it’s a qualification series so in order to make sure we qualify, every goal counts.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:32 pm
Odas wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:48 pm The beating of Sao Tome was good, but I still think we crossed the 'professional' line in what we did. I think five, or six goals should have been enough. Thereafter, we should have made it a 'practice game' and STOP scoring.

We were playing grown adults not kids so this shouldn’t be an issue or be unsportsmanlike. Their other opponents won’t stop scoring on them after 5 and it’s a qualification series so in order to make sure we qualify, every goal counts.
Exactly...it is actually more disrespectful for you stop playing because you thing the other team is inferior? chasing down every ball is the biggest respect you can pay your opponent.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

The only thing exciting about Peseiro is that he is dynamic and charismatic. You either put up or sit ur behind on the bench...

Making Moses Simon the captain though....Thats worrying....
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Its not unusual to make your best player captain...
Enyi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:07 pm The only thing exciting about Peseiro is that he is dynamic and charismatic. You either put up or sit ur behind on the bench...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

truly the dumbest person on CE. #Odaft! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Can you believe it? How dummmmb a person can be? We should risk our qualification and take a qualifying game as "practice." smh everyday, it gets clearer why these same people were the ones who supported ****
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:23 pm Its not unusual to make your best player captain...
Enyi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:07 pm The only thing exciting about Peseiro is that he is dynamic and charismatic. You either put up or sit ur behind on the bench...

Moses Simon is not our best player. He is good though.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:23 pm
nanijoe wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:23 pm Its not unusual to make your best player captain...

Huh????? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
What did you just say????
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Enyi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:04 pm

Exactly...it is actually more disrespectful for you stop playing because you thing the other team is inferior? chasing down every ball is the biggest respect you can pay your opponent.
:clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:30 pm

Let that go gently and gently. At least he is MAN enough to admit......
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

You can't be serious? Have u ever watched Germany play against countries like, Farrow Island, Lichtenstein, Malta, etc.? Germany will keep scoring until the ref blows the last whistle.

So there's nothing unprofessional about it..

quote=Odas post_id=5780655 time=1655221727 user_id=1071]

The beating of Sao Tome was good, but I still think we crossed the 'professional' line in what we did. I think five, or six goals should have been enough. Thereafter, we should have made it a 'practice game' and STOP scoring.

[/quote]
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Next wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:11 pm You can't be serious? Have u ever watched Germany play against countries like, Farrow Island, Lichtenstein, Malta, etc.? Germany will keep scoring until the ref blows the last whistle.

So there's nothing unprofessional about it..

quote=Odas post_id=5780655 time=1655221727 user_id=1071]

[/quote]
Thank God he is not Australian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral ... ican_Samoa
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:30 pm

🙂I too was wondering if he said that with a straight face🙂❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I tend to agree with you. “Running up the score” after you’ve comfortably beaten an opponent is considered unprofessional. By the 66th minute, we were already up 8-0. The game was pretty much over by then. The final 2 goals came in the 84th and 92nd minutes. Was that really necessary❓❗️

Cheers.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:30 pm

I tend to agree with you. “Running up the score” after you’ve comfortably beaten an opponent is considered unprofessional. By the 66th minute, we were already up 8-0. The game was pretty much over by then. The final 2 goals came in the 84th and 92nd minutes. Was that really necessary❓❗️

Cheers.
See reasoning smh
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:30 pm

Cheers.
Are you guyz serious?? What if it comes to goal difference?