Sunday Oliseh interview

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Sunday Oliseh interview

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Mikel part has nothing to do with football.. abeg Oliseh is clueless x15 plus 50 x1000 times about the real football Mikel played..be it for club and country Mikel performed way better compared to Oliseh. Mikel carried the SE from 2006 until 2019..qualified us for 3 WCs.. won the AFCON with loads of unknowns ..whereas Oliseh had Olocha, Yekini, Amo, Amunike,Uche etc ...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:12 pm The Mikel part has nothing to do with football.. abeg Oliseh is clueless x15 plus 50 x1000 times about the real football Mikel played..be it for club and country Mikel performed way better compared to Oliseh. Mikel carried the SE from 2006 until 2019..qualified us for 3 WCs.. won the AFCON with loads of unknowns ..whereas Oliseh had Olocha, Yekini, Amo, Amunike,Uche etc ...
Mikel accomplished a lot more than Oliseh both for club and national team. The one thing he couldn’t do was shoot from distance and score goals. I wonder how many goals Mikel scored for the SE compared to Oliseh.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

packerland wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:00 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:12 pm The Mikel part has nothing to do with football.. abeg Oliseh is clueless x15 plus 50 x1000 times about the real football Mikel played..be it for club and country Mikel performed way better compared to Oliseh. Mikel carried the SE from 2006 until 2019..qualified us for 3 WCs.. won the AFCON with loads of unknowns ..whereas Oliseh had Olocha, Yekini, Amo, Amunike,Uche etc ...
Mikel accomplished a lot more than Oliseh both for club and national team. The one thing he couldn’t do was shoot from distance and score goals. I wonder how many goals Mikel scored for the SE compared to Oliseh.
Mikel scored more goals and had more assist for the SE and it wasn't even close
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:15 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:36 pm
txj wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:28 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:53 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:26 pm
Cellular wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:12 pm
imehjunior wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:14 am
In this interview he shows a glimpse of his difficult personality.

He talks about the players sharing money from Nike and him refusing to wear Nike shoes...

Accusing players of sharing Nike money... duh, Nike was our sponsor. He refused to wear the sponsor shoes and was the only player who decided to wear his own shoes.

Very difficult. The fact that he gave no credit to Mikel, a player that accomplished as much is not more than him is shameful.
The pettiness towards Mikel is still evident. That's one of the reasons why I don't want Oliseh near the SE again. Mikel is easily one of the most accomplished Nigerian footballers ever and Oliseh's small mindedness can never erase that!

Why do we Nigerians perform so poorly in understanding of the game?

Oliseh is not speaking as a fan here wrt Mikel, but strictly as a coach, with his own ideas and concept of the game.

I don't personally agree with his view of Mikel and role of the DM, but I fully understand that this is strictly on a conceptual level. Sir Alex for instance did not see Mikel as a DM. Is he also petty in his regard?

Its not pettiness towards Mikel, cus its not personal.

Different managers see different players from different lens...
I hear you but he also went into an unrelated personal story about Mikel which had nothing to do with the question, which tells me he’s still holding onto something from his time with Mikel, it was obvious when he refused to give him the captain ship, oddly picking Musa instead…

That's not quite correct.
But what does Mikel (and another player - clearly Enyeama) not coming during his time as coach have to do with whether he sees him as an AM or DM?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:14 pm

He talks about the players sharing money from Nike and him refusing to wear Nike shoes...

Accusing players of sharing Nike money... duh, Nike was our sponsor. He refused to wear the sponsor shoes and was the only player who decided to wear his own shoes.

Very difficult. The fact that he gave no credit to Mikel, a player that accomplished as much is not more than him is shameful.
The pettiness towards Mikel is still evident. That's one of the reasons why I don't want Oliseh near the SE again. Mikel is easily one of the most accomplished Nigerian footballers ever and Oliseh's small mindedness can never erase that!

Oliseh is not speaking as a fan here wrt Mikel, but strictly as a coach, with his own ideas and concept of the game.

I don't personally agree with his view of Mikel and role of the DM, but I fully understand that this is strictly on a conceptual level. Sir Alex for instance did not see Mikel as a DM. Is he also petty in his regard?

I hear you but he also went into an unrelated personal story about Mikel which had nothing to do with the question, which tells me he’s still holding onto something from his time with Mikel, it was obvious when he refused to give him the captain ship, oddly picking Musa instead…

But what does Mikel (and another player - clearly Enyeama) not coming during his time as coach have to do with whether he sees him as an AM or DM?

He was answering a question. He chose to be expansive on the topic and made the very point that ironically he's bein accused of here. That it was not personal, but a matter of different perspectives on the game.

I still don't agree with his perspective though...

I think he needs to read Jose's explanation of JM's role, which I quoted in my piece on Mikel from years ago...
And quite ironic his views considering his career...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:27 pm

He was answering a question. He chose to be expansive on the topic and made the very point that ironically he's bein accused of here. That it was not personal, but a matter of different perspectives on the game.

I think he needs to read Jose's explanation of JM's role, which I quoted in my piece on Mikel from years ago...
Abeg make we hear word txj, he was more focused on trying to dispel rumors that he dropped Mikel rather than answering the actual question, that’s why Edafe quickly changed the topic because he wasn’t trying to go down that rabbit hole…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:49 am
txj wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:27 pm

Abeg make we hear word txj, he was more focused on trying to dispel rumors that he dropped Mikel rather than answering the actual question, that’s why Edafe quickly changed the topic because he wasn’t trying to go down that rabbit hole…

You can believe what you want to. You SO haters will always reach such conclusions anyways...

Edafe screwed up IMO. He had an opportunity for a follow up discussion. A proper football discussion, not the kind of idle talk we have here..

SO described his idea of a DM. He could've challenged that view with the example of Mikel's career/role as a different kind of DM, and a top one at that...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Was a bit disappointed that they spent the majority of the interview reminiscing about the 90s and early 2000s very little was discussed in-depth about anything in the past 10 years and didn't even mention his most recent stint coaching Fortuna Sittard that ended controversially. It just seems more PR (like Eguavoen's) than anything.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:37 am Was a bit disappointed that they spent the majority of the interview reminiscing about the 90s and early 2000s very little was discussed in-depth about anything in the past 10 years and didn't even mention his most recent stint coaching Fortuna Sittard that ended controversially. It just seems more PR (like Eguavoen's) than anything.
Sunset,

This was about his BOOK. His book did not state much about his time coaching SE nor did it cover his time at Fortuna, if I recall the content accurately. The interviewers had to focus on his book. In my view, it was an interview that delved into a historical period and an important one for the national team. He revealed much that was unknown to the general public. Although, there are things that make you shake your head and one has been discussed already -- his take on Mikel Obi -- that should have been challenged for more support for such an outrageous take.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:07 am
Sunset wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:37 am Was a bit disappointed that they spent the majority of the interview reminiscing about the 90s and early 2000s very little was discussed in-depth about anything in the past 10 years and didn't even mention his most recent stint coaching Fortuna Sittard that ended controversially. It just seems more PR (like Eguavoen's) than anything.
Sunset,

This was about his BOOK. His book did not state much about his time coaching SE nor did it cover his time at Fortuna, if I recall the content accurately. The interviewers had to focus on his book. In my view, it was an interview that delved into a historical period and an important one for the national team. He revealed much that was unknown to the general public. Although, there are things that make you shake your head and one has been discussed already -- his take on Mikel Obi -- that should have been challenged for more support for such an outrageous take.
Very true fair enough. Though i'm still confused about the outrage about his Mikel opinion, all he said was he lacks the attributes to be an AM (which I can't disagree with), and that he would prefer Ndidi in that DM role which is simply down to opinion/preference, its not like he said Mikel wasn't a good player. He did mention that Mikel at a particular time was unwilling to play for us, though he could've been more specific
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:31 am
Sunset,

Very true fair enough. Though i'm still confused about the outrage about his Mikel opinion, all he said was he lacks the attributes to be an AM (which I can't disagree with), and that he would prefer Ndidi in that DM role which is simply down to opinion/preference, its not like he said Mikel wasn't a good player. He did mention that Mikel at a particular time was unwilling to play for us, though he could've been more specific
For me, it was thoroughly enjoyable and the only slightly irritating thing about it tbh was Babayaro that kept interrupting before a particular gist was properly concluded.
He was interrupting Oliseh and he was interrupting Edafe. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enjoyed the interview. Just boys having fun.

Babayaro had his moments of fame and kept on interrupting. But it’s understandable. They were discussing his best moments in football and the memories got him super excited.

But Oliseh’s take on Mikel needed to be challenged with further probing. I will choose Mikel over Ndidi as my DM any day. Mikel carried the team and was a leader. And played that role not only as a spoiler but also a deep lying creator of goals with his long passes, something Oliseh did well too.

I will buy and read it. I would like to read what he said about Finidi, Kanu, Siasia and a few others.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:24 am
Sunset,

For me, it was thoroughly enjoyable and the only slightly irritating thing about it tbh was Babayaro that kept interrupting before a particular gist was properly concluded.
I can't count the number of times I went please shut up wishing he could hear me.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I get yall blasting Babayaro, however the show belongs to Babayaro. The other 2 were guests
SuperEagles

amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Lolly wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:02 am Enjoyed the interview. Just boys having fun.

Babayaro had his moments of fame and kept on interrupting. But it’s understandable. They were discussing his best moments in football and the memories got him super excited.

But Oliseh’s take on Mikel needed to be challenged with further probing. I will choose Mikel over Ndidi as my DM any day. Mikel carried the team and was a leader. And played that role not only as a spoiler but also a deep lying creator of goals with his long passes, something Oliseh did well too.

I will buy and read it. I would like to read what he said about Finidi, Kanu, Siasia and a few others.
The thing is Mikel Obi is actually best a CM, although he lacks the stamina of one. He is not quite a DM, and not quite an AM. But he is so damn good, that a good coach is better of building around him as-is, than trying to shoehorn Obi into some scheme with strict DM and AM.

Sunday Oliseh comes accross to me as someone that super high on doing things consistently and rightly. A free spirit like Okocha must have driven him nuts.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:24 am
Sunset,

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I guarantee that you are not the only one interrupted by that. I was mad so many times with that interruption......Oh well, I eventually thought : Just maybe this was a show that reflects a bar room discussion and not a straight out interview of Sunday Oliserh.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

amafolas wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:49 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:02 am Enjoyed the interview. Just boys having fun.

The thing is Mikel Obi is actually best a CM, although he lacks the stamina of one. He is not quite a DM, and not quite an AM. But he is so damn good, that a good coach is better of building around him as-is, than trying to shoehorn Obi into some scheme with strict DM and AM.

Sunday Oliseh comes accross to me as someone that super high on doing things consistently and rightly. A free spirit like Okocha must have driven him nuts.
He played as a DM and helped his club become one of the most successful clubs in Europe, winning the league, FA Cup and UEFA champions league. I don’t know how else you could have judged him.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

VIDEO CHAPTERS:
0:00 Intro.
1:35 Giving Sunday Oliseh his flowers.
3:58 Sunday Oliseh's toughest opposition in his career.
5:38 Sunday Oliseh's philosophy of life.
8:03 How Sunday Oliseh developed his style of play.
11:11 Sunday Oliseh on Celestine Babayaro.
12:56 Who were some of Sunday Oliseh's best pairings on the pitch?
13:28 Sunday Oliseh talks about Rashidi Yekini's game.
16:14 Playing alongside Jay-Jay Okocha.
18:42 Playing alongside Taribo West.
20:16 Thoughts on Jay-Jay Okocha laughing after bad plays.
21:57 Current players that Oliseh admires.
25:13 Oliseh's Pick: Wilfred Ndidi vs N'Golo Kanté vs Franck Kessié.
28:14 Comparing Osimhen with Rashidi Yekini.
31:20 Sunday Oliseh talks about Nigeria's France '98 World Cup Classic against Spain.
35:13 Sunday Oliseh speaks on leadership.
38:11 Dissecting Mikel John Obi's style of play.
40:35 What has Oliseh been up to outside writing his Memoir: "Audacity to Refuse".
44:40 10-year roadmap for the development of Nigerian football.
49:00 Lesson from loss and betrayal.
52:32 The power of visualization.
53:46 Oliseh on Bonfere Jo and winning the Atlanta '96 Olympics.
55:26 The fear of speaking your truth.
59:02 Settling 25-year controversies.
1:03:22 Wilson Oruma was the MVP of the Atlanta '96 Olympics.
1:09:41 When rivals become friends - Understanding the Babayaro and Dosu dynamic.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

What are you on about?

It is classic pettiness... What did he do as soon as he got a hold of the team?

Who was the first person he relegated for some unknown dude playing in pointsunknown?

Don't even bring up his treatment of Vincent.

Dude has a character flaw... he himself knows this. His former teammates and former employers know this about him. But you are here saying it does not exist. :sad: :???:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Abeg, tell him jorr.

My suspicion was that he didn't like Mikel rising profile to be compared in some circles to a better version of himself. There was an element of detestation. The same way he treated Vincent.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:15 pm

Abeg, tell him jorr.

My suspicion was that he didn't like Mikel rising profile to be compared in some circles to a better version of himself. There was an element of detestation. The same way he treated Vincent.

You guys are a miracle!!

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

On his views about Mikel, I must point out that Mikel never cost us a game with stupid mistakes like he did on the biggest possible stage. Moreover, Oliseh is overlooking the fact that both Manchester United and Chelsea recruited Mikel on the basis of his attacking potential❗️

Cheers.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:55 pm
Cellular wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:15 pm

Abeg, tell him jorr.

You guys are a miracle!!
His actions betrayed his jealousy.

And you might pretend not to hear about the account of his exchange with Vincent where he betrayed his jealousy.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...