Nottingham Forest in talks to sign Taiwo Awoniyi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Taiwo Awoniyi: Nottingham Forest sign Nigeria forward from Union Berlin for club-record fee

Post by 1naija »

Congratulations to Taiwo. Goodluck to him.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Taiwo Awoniyi: Nottingham Forest sign Nigeria forward from Union Berlin for club-record fee

Post by Tobi17 »

Congrats to Taiwo, I can't wait to watch him destroy Arsenal on game day
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nottingham Forest in talks to sign Taiwo Awoniyi

Post by The YeyeMan »

He signs. Good luck to him.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Forest wants Aribo too.

https://www.completesports.com/nottingh ... gles-star/

Well….. it starting to look the annual Nigerian relegation battle in the may will be hosted by Forest.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:59 am Forest wants Aribo too.

https://www.completesports.com/nottingh ... gles-star/

Well….. it starting to look the annual Nigerian relegation battle in the may will be hosted by Forest.
Emir

This is a business deal. It is about getting what you consider top level talent inexpensively. A British player of equivalent talent will have a more expensive labor cost.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:27 pm
Damunk

I think we underappreciate this guy. If you think of the AFCON, it is crazy to use his last games to ignore him at NT level. I think that he should be preferred over Moffi to start beside Osimhen. I may be in the minority here but I think we have not seen the last of Awoniyi at the SE level.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What's your basis for thinking he should be preferred over Moffi? I am not high on Moffi either (I prefer Dessers), but he took advantage of the opportunities he was given and scored 2 goals. Taiwo had more opportunities and couldn't seize them.
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:32 pm
Damunk

I think we underappreciate this guy. If you think of the AFCON, it is crazy to use his last games to ignore him at NT level. I think that he should be preferred over Moffi to start beside Osimhen. I may be in the minority here but I think we have not seen the last of Awoniyi at the SE level.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 am What's your basis for thinking he should be preferred over Moffi? I am not high on Moffi either (I prefer Dessers), but he took advantage of the opportunities he was given and scored 2 goals. Taiwo had more opportunities and couldn't seize them.
Damunk

Onku, Awoniyi is way ahead of Moffi and Dressers in terms of quality and value to SE. He might not have had a stellar Afcon but I think we can agree that the team was woeful and created very few opportunities.

Imho, Moffi is a lazy Brown Ideye while Dressers sti has a lot to show. I'm fir giving Dressers a chance nut Moffi no be am.
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

So what criteria are you using to rate him higher than Moffi and Dessers for the SE? The same poor team at the AFCON produced Sadiq that is now a semi regular on the team.

Taiwo's only way back to the team is to hit the ground running with his Nottingham Forest and hopefully get a second chance. otherwise he wil continue to be on the oustide looking in given the number of decent players we have at the forward position.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:52 am
1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 am What's your basis for thinking he should be preferred over Moffi? I am not high on Moffi either (I prefer Dessers), but he took advantage of the opportunities he was given and scored 2 goals. Taiwo had more opportunities and couldn't seize them.
Damunk

Onku, Awoniyi is way ahead of Moffi and Dressers in terms of quality and value to SE. He might not have had a stellar Afcon but I think we can agree that the team was woeful and created very few opportunities.

Imho, Moffi is a lazy Brown Ideye while Dressers sti has a lot to show. I'm fir giving Dressers a chance nut Moffi no be am.
Last edited by 1naija on Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Damunk

I agree with you.
The only person that consistently puts this guy down is 1Naira.
But we know 1Naira only has to see ‘Awo-‘ and he completely loses it. :rotf:

I suspect he hasn’t read the name in full and believes he is Taiwo Awolowo.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Thats becauss you are looking at the Awo in his name to rate him higher than his performance for the SE called for. His performance at Union Berlin earned him the invitation to the SE. Unfortunately for him it's performance for the SE that keeps players in the team. Just ask Sadiq

I wonder why you are not making the same argument for Onyekuru, Onuachu, Simi Nwankwo, and all the other players do well at their clubs but performed poorly for the SE. Let me guess...they don't have Awo in their names.

The last game Taiwo played for Nigeria was against Tunisia at the AFCON. Since then Nigeria has played 6 games withoit inviting him. I guess the coaches don't like players with Awo in their names either.
Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:24 am
Damunk

I agree with you.

Last edited by 1naija on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:42 am Thats becauss you are looking at the Awo in his name to rate him higher than his performance for the SE called for. His performance at Union Berlin earned him the invitation to the SE. Unfortunately for him it's performances for the SE that keeps players in the team. Just ask Sadiq

I wonder why you are not making the same argument for Onyekuru, Onuachu, Simi Nwankwo, and all the other players do well at their clubs but performed poorly for the SE. Let me guess...they don't have Awo in their names.

The last game Taiwo played for Nigeria was against Tunisia at the AFCON. Since then Nigeria has played 6 games withoit inviting him. I guess the coaches don't like players with Awo in their names either.
Damunk

I agree with you.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Unkulu 1Naira.
Don’t be so touchy - you reveal yourself when everyone is laughing and you dey frown. Na joke we dey joke with you. It shouldnt be about their names, but about performance.
So taking a look at your comparisons….

Onuachu - 16 caps, 3 goals (Age 28)
Onyekuru - 15 caps, 1 goal (Age 25)
Nwankwor - 4 caps, 0 goals (Age 30)
Awoniyi - 4 caps, 1 goal (Age 24)
It seems you are a little biased. Writing off a young 24 yr old player on an upward trajectory after just 4 caps at just ONE 4-game tournament?
Why so quick?

Your opinion is just a minority report, which you are entitled to, but makes very little sense.
You don’t condemn a player with just 4 games under his belt, unless of course he was near hopeless.
A wo-rrying trend. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:42 am Thats becauss you are looking at the Awo in his name to rate him higher than his performance for the SE called for. His performance at Union Berlin earned him the invitation to the SE. Unfortunately for him it's performance for the SE that keeps players in the team. Just ask Sadiq

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:32 pm Damunk

I agree with you.

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Trolls trolling trolls :rotf:
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Dude, what exactly am i biased about? The only thing that has written off Awoniyi so far is his performance for the SE when he had the chance. You blame it on whoever and whatever, but thats the simple fact. We all watched the games he played, and most people questioned his performance in those games. The threads are still here on the forum. The question again is, what did you see in those games that most people on the game thread didnt see and the coaches didn't see? And what did you see his performances that made you rate him over Moffi and Dessers who clearly performed better with the chance they had. Are you sure you are not the one that is biased?

I brought up Onyekuru and co because if it's club performance you are using to rate Awoniyi, those players often do well at their clubs also, but you are not clamoring for them to be brought back to the SE because of those stats you posted. The point is you should be consistent in assessing players. You can't use club performance to rate some players and use SE performance to rate others. That is bias!

If Awoniyi gets another opportunity, he is going to have to excel or someone else will get the spot, Simple. That's just the nature of the business. It's the National team. No player is entitled to a spot on it.

Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:05 am :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unkulu 1Naira.
Don’t be so touchy - you reveal yourself when everyone is laughing and you dey frown. Na joke we dey joke with you. It shouldnt be about their names, but about performance.

It seems you are a little biased. Writing off a young 24 yr old player on an upward trajectory after just 4 caps at just ONE 4-game tournament?
Why so quick?

Your opinion is just a minority report, which you are entitled to, but makes very little sense.
You don’t condemn a player with just 4 games under his belt, unless of course he was near hopeless.
1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:42 am Thats becauss you are looking at the Awo in his name to rate him higher than his performance for the SE called for. His performance at Union Berlin earned him the invitation to the SE. Unfortunately for him it's performance for the SE that keeps players in the team. Just ask Sadiq

I agree with you.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija

But that is your opinion and others do not agree with it. Moffi, as far as i am concerned, has not impressed except for the 10-0 game when everyone performed well against an overmatched opponent. Moffi was a shock selection for many on this site to start alongside Osimhen. That is because he did not exactly impress prior to that selection by Peseiro.

As for Awoniyi, I strongly feel he is a better player based on what I have seen. That, of course, may not be shared by others. I certainly like his work rate and the regularity in which he places himself in critical spots.

I am convinced that we have not heard the last on Awoniyi as far as the Nigerian national team is concerned. Bet on that.

1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:20 pm Dude, what exactly am i biased about? The only thing that has written off Awoniyi so far is his performance for the SE when he had the chance. You blame it on whoever and whatever, but thats the simple fact. We all watched the games he played, and most people questioned his performance in those games. The threads are still here on the forum. The question again is, what did you see in those games that most people on the game thread didnt see and the coaches didn't see? And what did you see his performances that made you rate him over Moffi and Dessers who clearly performed better with the chance they had. Are you sure you are not the one that is biased?

I brought up Onyekuru and co because if it's club performance you are using to rate Awoniyi, those players often do well at their clubs also, but you are not clamoring for them to be brought back to the SE because of those stats you posted. The point is you should be consistent in assessing players. You can't use club performance to rate some players and use SE performance to rate others. That is bias!

If Awoniyi gets another opportunity, he is going to have to excel or someone else will get the spot, Simple. That's just the nature of the business. It's the National team. No player is entitled to a spot on it.

Unkulu 1Naira.

Why so quick?

I agree with you.

Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

My concern is placing our young players in these desperate relegation fests. Can't be good for the psyche but this is a business. I hope he gets paid.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EII, and whose opinion are you stating if not yours? Who are the majority that disagree with me? You and Damunkey? My opinion seems to be consistent with the coaches opinions, which is why he has not been invited back to the team. You and Damunkey can make it about me all you want, but when a player goes from playing 80+ minutes to 60 minutes to being on the bench and then out of team, someone else besides me thought he was piss poor in the tournament. So i think it's your opinion that in the minority. Mind you we are talking about his performance for the SE.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm 1naija

But that is your opinion and others do not agree with it. Moffi, as far as i am concerned, has not impressed except for the 10-0 game when everyone performed well against an overmatched opponent. Moffi was a shock selection for many on this site to start alongside Osimhen. That is because he did not exactly impress prior to that selection by Peseiro.

As for Awoniyi, I strongly feel he is a better player based on what I have seen. That, of course, may not be shared by others. I certainly like his work rate and the regularity in which he places himself in critical spots.

I am convinced that we have not heard the last on Awoniyi as far as the Nigerian national team is concerned. Bet on that.

1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:20 pm Dude, what exactly am i biased about? The only thing that has written off Awoniyi so far is his performance for the SE when he had the chance. You blame it on whoever and whatever, but thats the simple fact. We all watched the games he played, and most people questioned his performance in those games. The threads are still here on the forum. The question again is, what did you see in those games that most people on the game thread didnt see and the coaches didn't see? And what did you see his performances that made you rate him over Moffi and Dessers who clearly performed better with the chance they had. Are you sure you are not the one that is biased?

Unkulu 1Naira.

Why so quick?

I agree with you.

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Damunk

Awoniyi, will get another opportunity to impress if his form warrants it.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Kneedeep wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 pm My concern is placing our young players in these desperate relegation fests. Can't be good for the psyche but this is a business. I hope he gets paid.
I don't know about that, see what it did for Iwobi....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija,

You mischaracterize the manager's opinion here. I want that to be clear. Peseiro has not in any way suggested that Moffi is better than Awoniyi. That much is clear. What Peseiro has suggested is that Moffi is better than those the manager has seen at the SE camp. As far as I am aware, Awoniyi was not invited in order to be evaluated by Peseiro. The point here is that it will occur in the future and only at that time can we make the claim that you just made.
1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:02 pm EII, and whose opinion are you stating if not yours? Who are the majority that disagree with me? You and Damunkey? My opinion seems to be consistent with the coaches opinions, which is why he has not been invited back to the team. You and Damunkey can make it about me all you want, but when a player goes from playing 80+ minutes to 60 minutes to being on the bench and then out of team, someone else besides me thought he was piss poor in the tournament. So i think it's your opinion that in the minority. Mind you we are talking about his performance for the SE.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm 1naija

Unkulu 1Naira.

Why so quick?

I agree with you.

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

This is a great move for Awoniyi with so much upside.

I hope he has a great season. Will be rooting for him.