Nottingham Forest in talks to sign Taiwo Awoniyi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nottingham Forest in talks to sign Taiwo Awoniyi

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:56 pm
return2k2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:23 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Definitely will be watching Forest upcoming season. Wishing him the best.
...all those goals show a player who knows how to position himself to score. But if he is this prolific why did his old club let him go? Is it the money, too good?
I wish him a very good luck at Forest and the epl.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:19 pm
Sunset wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:10 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:11 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:31 pm What form did Moffi lose when he just scored 2 goals for the SE in a qualifier
Unkulu, its true.
You don't follow club football.
After an initial explosive start in France in the 20/21 season, Moffi's flame dimmed last season.
His call-up to the Eagles was a surprise to many.

If you don't know, you don't know.
But I'm happy for him.
Surprise? Let's not forget that Awoniyi's first ever call-up was to replace a then injured Moffi, that Rohr rated. He's one of the newer members to the squad, but definitely has a role to play in our long-term ambitions.
Are you saying Moffi was “up there” in the pecking order when he got the call?
He dropped down the list as the season went on.

Even you still said so early this month.
Yes, seeing how it was an injury that ruled him out of previous call-ups, and one average season is not enough grounds, or sample size to completely rule one out of the conversation and its not like he got dropped to the bench at his club. Seeing how below Osimhen there isn't much difference in quality with our striking options (Moffi, Onuachu, Sadiq, Ighalo, Awoniyi & Dessers) any of them wouldn't be a surprise. They all have their strengths & weaknesses but there isn't an undisputed 2nd or 3rd in that regard.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

There is nothing like a very good luck. It's either good luck or not. Wishing him a very good luck is like writing... "I am very very hapy to write you this my humble letter..." or the latest RCCG way of wishing people happy birthday. ..."i wish you a happy perfect birthday".

Just saying...
mcal wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:03 am

...all those goals show a player who knows how to position himself to score. But if he is this prolific why did his old club let him go? Is it the money, too good?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:22 am There is nothing like a very good luck. It's either good luck or not. Wishing him a very good luck is like writing... "I am very very hapy to write you this my humble letter..." or the latest RCCG way of wishing people happy birthday. ..."i wish you a happy perfect birthday".

Just saying...

Onku, he has a JOB. All he has to do is perform to his known abilities on the JOB. No luck required. Get it?
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle JBless, tell that to mcal.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:40 am
1naija wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:22 am There is nothing like a very good luck. It's either good luck or not. Wishing him a very good luck is like writing... "I am very very hapy to write you this my humble letter..." or the latest RCCG way of wishing people happy birthday. ..."i wish you a happy perfect birthday".

Just saying...

Onku, he has a JOB. All he has to do is perform to his known abilities on the JOB. No luck required. Get it?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Just saying...

...epl is another cup of tea so to say. Fingers crossed, will be watching for him to succeed like we did to Ndidi and Iheanacho at their new club then.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Why Nottingham Forest made Taiwo Awoniyi their record signing

Taiwo Awoniyi
By Paul Taylor, Daniel Taylor and more
Jun 25, 2022

Steve Cooper has never been afraid to make big calls. But one of his biggest decisions tells a significant story.

In the Championship play-off final at Wembley last month, Nottingham Forest manager Cooper opted to replace striker Sam Surridge — who had done a more than decent job in previous games — in the starting line-up with a fit-again Keinan Davis.

Aston Villa forward Davis had established himself as a key figure in the second half of the season, after joining on loan. And Cooper believed his blend of power, pace and intelligence would make him a vital focal point, at the head of the team, as Forest fought Huddersfield Town for promotion.

And as they prepare for life in the Premier League, thanks to that 1-0 win in north London, those same qualities are viewed as being crucial assets by Cooper as he looks to assemble a side which can compete in the top flight.

The former Swansea City manager remains a big fan of Davis but Forest also believe they have landed an upgrade with the signing of Taiwo Awoniyi.

The Nigeria international has signed a five-year contract following a £17.5 million move from the Bundesliga’s Union Berlin.

That fee makes him comfortably Forest’s record buy, beating the £13.2 million spent on Joao Carvalho in 2018. Liverpool also benefit from a 10 per cent sell-on clause inserted in his £6.5 million permanent move to Union last summer, when he also became the German side’s most expensive ever purchase.

In the 24-year-old, Forest believe they have added a player who can bring even more to the table than the popular, explosive Davis did on his way to scoring five goals in the Championship from January onwards.

Awoniyi is seen as a counter-attacking forward who can hold up the ball in a similar way to Davis, not least because he shares the same kind of robust physical presence. But Awoniyi also runs in behind and is seen as a precise natural finisher. This is something Forest (and specifically fellow front man Lewis Grabban) worked hard with Davis to improve last season.

Brentford were interested in Awoniyi last year, around the time he moved to the Bundesliga from Anfield, and the London club have forged a reputation for being strong talent-spotters. He is also understood to have previously been on Manchester United’s radar.

Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig looked at signing Awoniyi too, and it is a positive reflection on Forest that he wanted to join them, even if he also held a desire to prove himself in the Premier League. He had few opportunities during almost six years with Liverpool, when he had seven different loan spells at six clubs in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands before making a permanent switch to Union last summer.

A look at his shot map below illustrates why he was in demand.

He scored 15 league goals as Union came fifth last season, finishing sixth in the race for the Bundesliga Golden Boot.

Awoniyi played at the top of a 3-5-2 last season, alongside Sheraldo Becker. He also profited from the creativity of Max Kruse playing behind him, until the veteran forward left in January to join Wolfsburg.

He has thrived in a team without the ball. Union qualified for the Europa League with that fifth-place finish but often play without the ball and do not retain it particularly well. They ranked 14th (with 43.3 per cent) for average possession in the 18-team Bundesliga, and three of the clubs who averaged below that were either relegated or involved in the relegation play-off.

Awoniyi is quick enough, strong enough and has enough movement to suit any team who wish to play in a direct style with transition-based attacks. He is effective when given space to run into but will need to work on his hold-up and link-up play to succeed against opponents who defend deep.

Smarterscout gives players’ games a series of ratings from zero to 99, relating to either how often they perform a given stylistic action (for example, volume of shots per touch), or how effective they are at it (for example, how well they progress the ball upfield) compared with others playing in their position.

As you can see below, Awoniyi has got strong dribbling ability (74 out of 99 for carry and dribble volume) and an eye for through balls for wide forwards running ahead of him, even if his execution of those through balls needs a little work.

His movement in the penalty area is also good (87 for receptions in the opposition box) while his shot volume is impressive but not greedy (70). He is thick-set, powerful and quick, but those physical abilities are accompaniments to his technical quality rather than predominant strengths.

Awoniyi is an effective goalscorer, even if he does look unorthodox at times. But he can produce moments of flair and creativity as an all-round forward who has as much guile as grit.

A starter in three of Nigeria’s four matches at this year’s Africa Cup of Nations, he is also strong at at pressing. His high scores above for defending intensity and impact suggest a striker who will run and hassle any opposition defender who tries to build from the back.

He gets the angles and timing right and is regarded as a player who is happy to follow instructions.

These qualities are supported by his successful pressure percentage from fbref — defined as the percentage of time that a team gained possession within five seconds of applying the pressure — of 33.1 per cent, which puts him in the 98th percentile among his peers.

Forest may make further additions to their attacking arsenal before they kick off the campaign with a trip to Newcastle United on August 6 but in Awoniyi, they hope they have secured an accomplished striker with room for improvement.

Having led a nomadic existence that took him to FSV Frankfurt, NEC Nijmegen in the Netherlands, Mouscron (twice), Gent and Mainz, Awoniyi spoke of feeling at home after a positive loan move at Union in 2020-21 was made permanent last summer.

“I just need a place to feel welcome, a place to have opportunities,” he told ESPN. “I thank God for the coaches and team for being behind me when it’s not going good, they are still behind you.”

He is beginning to take shots from favourable areas and could one day have the finishing ability to match his movement. The statistics and his development suggest there is a 20-league-goals-a-season striker waiting to emerge here. He needs the right club and the right coach to help him put all of the pieces together.

Forest will hope that they and Cooper will prove to be just that.

Additional contributors: Seb Stafford-Bloor, Carl Anka, Mark Carey

https://theathletic.com/3373758/2022/06 ... liverpool/
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I will repeat: the best compliment I can pay Awoniyi is that he is "a busy c---" (quoting Jaap Stam). He is not likely to be a 30 goal a season striker. However, he will create openings for team mates with his relentless pressing, work rate, and by generally being a pain in the a-- for defenders. He just never gives them a moment of peace.

Today he played against Van Dijk and Konate (two CDs who between them are almost 13 feet tall). They are two of the strongest and beefiest CDs in the EPL. Yet Awoniyi gave them a real "going over". In their post game ice baths 🛁 those two will know they were in a battle and will be relieved not to have to play against him again this season.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What on earth is Notts Forest doing in relegation trouble given its squad which includes:

1) a player who has won the Champions League 3 times

2) a Europa League winner

3) 2 La Liga winners

4) 2 players who have won Ligue 1

5) Several internationals
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

wiseone wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:24 am What on earth is Notts Forest doing in relegation trouble given its squad which includes:

3) 2 La Liga winners

They have an English coach. There is your answer.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Can he play alongside Osihmen in a 442,352 or 343? Das all that matters because as well as he has performed he’s still not smelling a SE starting spot unless he can play with Vic. That’s if, if we even have the personnel that allows them to play together.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

bret- hart wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 am
wiseone wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:24 am What on earth is Notts Forest doing in relegation trouble given its squad which includes:

3) 2 La Liga winners

They have an English coach. There is your answer.
An English coach that won the 2017 U20 World Cup
I am happy
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:45 am Can he play alongside Osihmen in a 442,352 or 343? Das all that matters because as well as he has performed he’s still not smelling a SE starting spot unless he can play with Vic. That’s if, if we even have the personnel that allows them to play together.
Why do you people always think it is either or? It is a squad. He can be a substitute, he can fill in if Vic gets an injury or he can even play alongside him in some capacity. Everything for some of you is a direct competition and that is why you always rail at people getting capped.

I have always said he is a poor man's Osimhen. They have similar qualities, just that Victor seems to do everything better. Hope he gets better and better.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There was a moment in the Forest v Arsenal game where Gabriel tried to control the ball and as Awoniyi challenged him, the commentator said "Awoniyi will not let him rest". It goes back to what I have consistently said about Awoniyi being "a pain in the a--" for defenders to play against. He never allows defenders a moment of peace and is constantly harassing and pressing them.

Awoniyi does not have the smooth running of Moffi and Lookman, or the ruthless finishing of Osimhen and Orban. In fact he looks ungainly at times and always seems to score "ugly" goals (today he scored after a defender fired a clearance against his foot and the ball bobbled in). What he has that the others (except Osimhen) do not, is that even when he does not score, his high work rate justifies his place in the team because be gives opposition defenders such a stressful time and runs then ragged.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:42 am Thats becauss you are looking at the Awo in his name to rate him higher than his performance for the SE called for. His performance at Union Berlin earned him the invitation to the SE. Unfortunately for him it's performance for the SE that keeps players in the team. Just ask Sadiq

I wonder why you are not making the same argument for Onyekuru, Onuachu, Simi Nwankwo, and all the other players do well at their clubs but performed poorly for the SE. Let me guess...they don't have Awo in their names.

The last game Taiwo played for Nigeria was against Tunisia at the AFCON. Since then Nigeria has played 6 games withoit inviting him. I guess the coaches don't like players with Awo in their names either.
Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:24 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:32 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:27 pm
Damunk

I think we underappreciate this guy. If you think of the AFCON, it is crazy to use his last games to ignore him at NT level. I think that he should be preferred over Moffi to start beside Osimhen. I may be in the minority here but I think we have not seen the last of Awoniyi at the SE level.
I agree with you.
The only person that consistently puts this guy down is 1Naira.
But we know 1Naira only has to see ‘Awo-‘ and he completely loses it. :rotf:

I suspect he hasn’t read the name in full and believes he is Taiwo Awolowo.
hmmmmm the truth is coming out gradually
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Come on guys, big belle pokey has been here for over 30 year. He should have beg you guys this much for attention. Please give him some attention. It's not entirely his fault that he has low self esteem.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Awoniyi has now scored 7 of Forest's last 8 goals. :shock:

It makes a mockery of those who call him "a low scoring striker".