RANKED. Ranking Nigeria's best defensive midfielders since 1945

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: RANKED. Ranking Nigeria's best defensive midfielders since 1945

Post by waka-man »

eyan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:31 pm
waka-man wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:11 am Mikel is the most successful Nigerian footballer of all time.
So it’s right he tops the list.

After that, you’d have to say Oliseh. Then Muda.
Being most successful doesn't mean you are the best. Would you say Traore of Liverpool was a better than Babayaro because he won champion's and the latter didn't win anything?
We’re not talking about one championship. We’re talking about over a decade of being at the heart of winning things at both club and international level. So yes, when success trails a career with such consistency, you do have to ascribe significant quality to that. It tells you more than any subjective evidence ever could.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

1naija wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:50 pm Nigeria's overall best player ranking..

1. Yobo
2. Okala
3. Mikel
4. Finidi George

Last: Odegbami
Chief you forgot to name the rest best players ever ion Naija Colours nwanem...
Dombraye
Fiberesima
Bonnyface
Adokiye
Jaja
Opobo
Brass

etc the list is endless.

I really get ya point... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm It’s a tough tough call, In the end I have to agree with your number 1 choice. Mikel accomplished more with less, imho, he’s by far the best, most accomplished DM with Oliseh a close 2nd. I don’t know much about Musa Lawal but based on reports of his style and how effective he was , I put him 3rd because Ndidi can’t do much of what he did. Honorable mention for Kaita and Garba Lawal who are probably 2 of the best work horses we’ve had in the period.

Mikel
Oliseh
Muda
Ndidi
Garba Lawal
Sani Kaita

Top 5 Naija DMs: Oliseh, Mikel, Muda, Ndidi, Adesina.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

mystic wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:27 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm It’s a tough tough call, In the end I have to agree with your number 1 choice. Mikel accomplished more with less, imho, he’s by far the best, most accomplished DM with Oliseh a close 2nd. I don’t know much about Musa Lawal but based on reports of his style and how effective he was , I put him 3rd because Ndidi can’t do much of what he did. Honorable mention for Kaita and Garba Lawal who are probably 2 of the best work horses we’ve had in the period.

Mikel
Oliseh
Muda
Ndidi
Garba Lawal
Sani Kaita

Top 5 Naija DMs: Oliseh, Mikel, Muda, Ndidi, Adesina.
Surprised Demola Adesina is only being mentioned by anyone now, my list is:

Adesina, Oliseh, Ndidi and the rest.

Muda wasn't a tackler/defensive midfielder and only played further back to see the pitch a bit more, when distributing the ball or bringing it out at pace.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 pm
Ezesportsworld wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm We often get carried away by our 1994 squad, though they were individually outstanding, they collectively did not achieve much. They won the nations cup and got to the second round of the world cup. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana got to the quarterfinals. Ghana almost got to the semifinals. The 1994 team came from behind to beat Cote Voire by penalty shoot out . Beat the reserve team of Zambia in the finals. Sunday Oliseh was a bench warmer in the big clubs he played in Europe. Enough of his ranting and hate. The 2013 team also won the Nations cup and got to the second round. I believe the dreaded 70s squad that missed the world cup by own goal in 1977 could have performed credibly at the Mondial.
Africa had only one slot, could super eagles had qualified for world cup if Africa had one slot in 1994?

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
As most have already said, Mikel rarely played DM for the SE. So if your ranking is based on their performance in the green-white-green, then Mikel’s name shouldn’t be there.

Garba Okoye was not a DM.

The DM of today is not the same as during Musa’s era. The number 4 position in those days was the defensive midfielder of the 4-2-4 formation but they hardly had to sit back. Muda had lots of energy and covered a lot of ground, always running past and ahead of other midfielders hence why he was always around the box on both sides of the pitch. And he scored 13 goals from 86 matches. Haji Muda was a player.

But anyone here saw Godwin Achebe play?

Also worth mentioning Oliha, Ayila, Olofinjana and Onazi who all had decent SE careers.
Godwin Achebe, Sebastian Broderick, Willie Andrews, Sanni Muhammed, Dominic Ezeani, Muhammed Audu were all great defensive midfielders.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 pm
Ezesportsworld wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm We often get carried away by our 1994 squad, though they were individually outstanding, they collectively did not achieve much. They won the nations cup and got to the second round of the world cup. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana got to the quarterfinals. Ghana almost got to the semifinals. The 1994 team came from behind to beat Cote Voire by penalty shoot out . Beat the reserve team of Zambia in the finals. Sunday Oliseh was a bench warmer in the big clubs he played in Europe. Enough of his ranting and hate. The 2013 team also won the Nations cup and got to the second round. I believe the dreaded 70s squad that missed the world cup by own goal in 1977 could have performed credibly at the Mondial.
Africa had only one slot, could super eagles had qualified for world cup if Africa had one slot in 1994?

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
As most have already said, Mikel rarely played DM for the SE. So if your ranking is based on their performance in the green-white-green, then Mikel’s name shouldn’t be there.

Garba Okoye was not a DM.

The DM of today is not the same as during Musa’s era. The number 4 position in those days was the defensive midfielder of the 4-2-4 formation but they hardly had to sit back. Muda had lots of energy and covered a lot of ground, always running past and ahead of other midfielders hence why he was always around the box on both sides of the pitch. And he scored 13 goals from 86 matches. Haji Muda was a player.

But anyone here saw Godwin Achebe play?

Also worth mentioning Oliha, Ayila, Olofinjana and Onazi who all had decent SE careers.
Same guy dem de call Olofufu? :mrgreen:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Never saw Musa Lawal play, so I can't really say much about him. Muda tho is rated by many as our best ever CM/DM. I would take Oliseh over Mikel. To me Oliseh covered more ground than Mikel, was a better passer, and just as good as Mikel going forward when playing from the CM position.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

And then, there was Jide Johnson.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Thunder wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:53 pm And then, there was Jide Johnson.
:clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics