RANKED. Ranking Nigeria's best defensive midfielders since 1945

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg
RANKED. Ranking Nigeria's best defensive midfielders since 1945

Post by Ezesportsworld »

We often get carried away by our 1994 squad, though they were individually outstanding, they collectively did not achieve much. They won the nations cup and got to the second round of the world cup. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana got to the quarterfinals. Ghana almost got to the semifinals. The 1994 team came from behind to beat Cote Voire by penalty shoot out . Beat the reserve team of Zambia in the finals. Sunday Oliseh was a bench warmer in the big clubs he played in Europe. Enough of his ranting and hate. The 2013 team also won the Nations cup and got to the second round. I believe the dreaded 70s squad that missed the world cup by own goal in 1977 could have performed credibly at the Mondial.
Africa had only one slot, could super eagles had qualified for world cup if Africa had one slot in 1994?

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: RANKED. Ranking Nigeria's best defensive midfielders since 1945

Post by Cellular »

Ezesportsworld wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm We often get carried away by our 1994 squad, though they were individually outstanding, they collectively did not achieve much. They won the nations cup and got to the second round of the world cup. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana got to the quarterfinals. Ghana almost got to the semifinals. The 1994 team came from behind to beat Cote Voire by penalty shoot out . Beat the reserve team of Zambia in the finals. Sunday Oliseh was a bench warmer in the big clubs he played in Europe. Enough of his ranting and hate. The 2013 team also won the Nations cup and got to the second round. I believe the dreaded 70s squad that missed the world cup by own goal in 1977 could have performed credibly at the Mondial.
Africa had only one slot, could super eagles had qualified for world cup if Africa had one slot in 1994?

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Ezesportsworld wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm We often get carried away by our 1994 squad, though they were individually outstanding, they collectively did not achieve much. They won the nations cup and got to the second round of the world cup. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana got to the quarterfinals. Ghana almost got to the semifinals. The 1994 team came from behind to beat Cote Voire by penalty shoot out . Beat the reserve team of Zambia in the finals. Sunday Oliseh was a bench warmer in the big clubs he played in Europe. Enough of his ranting and hate. The 2013 team also won the Nations cup and got to the second round. I believe the dreaded 70s squad that missed the world cup by own goal in 1977 could have performed credibly at the Mondial.

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
See bad belle in action. You sef dont even believe your rankings :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Mikel Obi aint # 1 for SE
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

It’s a tough tough call, In the end I have to agree with your number 1 choice. Mikel accomplished more with less, imho, he’s by far the best, most accomplished DM with Oliseh a close 2nd. I don’t know much about Musa Lawal but based on reports of his style and how effective he was , I put him 3rd because Ndidi can’t do much of what he did. Honorable mention for Kaita and Garba Lawal who are probably 2 of the best work horses we’ve had in the period.

Mikel
Oliseh
Muda
Ndidi
Garba Lawal
Sani Kaita
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm It’s a tough tough call, In the end I have to agree with your number 1 choice. Mikel accomplished more with less, imho, he’s by far the best, most accomplished DM with Oliseh a close 2nd. I don’t know much about Musa Lawal but based on reports of his style and how effective he was , I put him 3rd because Ndidi can’t do much of what he did. Honorable mention for Kaita and Garba Lawal who are probably 2 of the best work horses we’ve had in the period.

Mikel
Oliseh
Muda
Ndidi
Garba Lawal
Sani Kaita
Muda Lawal was a different kind of player. Had the ability to play every position at a very high level.

He would play ANYWHERE the team had a hole.

When asked to play his defensive midfield position he played it with perfection...
He was faster than either Obi or Oliseh, tracked back and showed for ball, excellent tackler, hard to disposes like Obi... and could run for days.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm It’s a tough tough call, In the end I have to agree with your number 1 choice. Mikel accomplished more with less, imho, he’s by far the best, most accomplished DM with Oliseh a close 2nd. I don’t know much about Musa Lawal but based on reports of his style and how effective he was , I put him 3rd because Ndidi can’t do much of what he did. Honorable mention for Kaita and Garba Lawal who are probably 2 of the best work horses we’ve had in the period.

Mikel
Oliseh
Muda
Ndidi
Garba Lawal
Sani Kaita
We are talking about accomplishments for SE
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Stephen Keshi? RIP
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Muda is similar to Ngolo kante
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

highbury wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm

Mikel
Oliseh
Muda
Ndidi
Garba Lawal
Sani Kaita
We are talking about accomplishments for SE

Yes. Mikel won Afcon, qualified the team for 2 Wcs, couple Afcon bronze and runners up in U20 WC. He didn't have Yekini,Okocha, Finidi, Aminike and Taribo. He won Afcon with Brown Ideye, Efe Ambrose and Onazi, not exactly household names. Imho, Mikel did more with the talent around him than Oliseh.
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Mikel is the most successful Nigerian footballer of all time.
So it’s right he tops the list.

After that, you’d have to say Oliseh. Then Muda.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Cellular wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:12 pm

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Allow me to join you. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
Who told you Sam Garba was a defensive midfielder? He was an attacking midfielder, if you could call him that. He was actually an inside forward. Muda was a central midfielder, what you might call a box to box midfielder nowadays❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Oliseh sending the message to EzeSports after reading this thread! Gbooosa. LOL.

In any case, not a bad list. I agree that Mikel Obi should head the list but watch out for that slap.......

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Muda Lawal was never a defensive midfielder in the mould we have today, he was an attacking Midfielder that scored goals (similar to Frank Lampard) provided assists. Winning the ball in midfield or protecting the back four was never his game even though he wore the number 4 jersey.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:49 am Image
Oliseh sending the message to EzeSports after reading this thread! Gbooosa. LOL.

In any case, not a bad list. I agree that Mikel Obi should head the list but watch out for that slap.......

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
EII,

Not a bad list? Two of the names on the list weren’t defensive midfielders by any stretch of the imagination. Muda was what we call a box to box midfielder in todays game. Sam Garba’s inclusion in the list is even worse. He wasn’t any kind of a midfielder, period. He was a forward with terrific dribbling skills. Pretty soon, somebody will try to dress Godwin Ogbueze in the cloak of a midfielder❗️

Cheers.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Flex Swift wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:14 am Muda Lawal was never a defensive midfielder in the mould we have today, he was an attacking Midfielder that scored goals (similar to Frank Lampard) provided assists. Winning the ball in midfield or protecting the back four was never his game even though he wore the number 4 jersey.
What are you talking about.

He was like TTTK said a box-to-box midfielder but he was originally a DM/CM. It was because of his versatility that he was played all over the field. He did it so well that people forget his true position.

In those days he will sacrifice his preferred position to play anywhere just to accommodate others. There was a time he even played as a 9.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:12 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:14 am Muda Lawal was never a defensive midfielder in the mould we have today, he was an attacking Midfielder that scored goals (similar to Frank Lampard) provided assists. Winning the ball in midfield or protecting the back four was never his game even though he wore the number 4 jersey.
What are you talking about.

He was like TTTK said a box-to-box midfielder but he was originally a DM/CM. It was because of his versatility that he was played all over the field. He did it so well that people forget his true position.

In those days he will sacrifice his preferred position to play anywhere just to accommodate others. There was a time he even played as a 9.

TTTTTK talks from his arse most of the time.

Muda was a DM, which has since him been the #4 role in the SE.
At the time the box to box MF in what was a 4-2-4 was Alloy Atuegbu, who for me was the real powerhouse in MF.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
I agree with Mikel's ranking if the criteria is club football. My ranking for Nigerian DMs for clubs will be:

1. Mikel
2. Oliseh
3. Ndidi

Mikel hardly played DM for country, so I am not sure how anyone can rank him high as a DM for Nigeria. For country, my ranking would be:

1. Muda
2. Oliseh
3. Ndidi
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Nigeria's overall best player ranking..

1. Yobo
2. Okala
3. Mikel
4. Finidi George

Last: Odegbami
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Was Mikel even a defensive midfielder for Nigeria? He mostly played attacking midfielder and central midfielder.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
As most have already said, Mikel rarely played DM for the SE. So if your ranking is based on their performance in the green-white-green, then Mikel’s name shouldn’t be there.

Garba Okoye was not a DM.

The DM of today is not the same as during Musa’s era. The number 4 position in those days was the defensive midfielder of the 4-2-4 formation but they hardly had to sit back. Muda had lots of energy and covered a lot of ground, always running past and ahead of other midfielders hence why he was always around the box on both sides of the pitch. And he scored 13 goals from 86 matches. Haji Muda was a player.

But anyone here saw Godwin Achebe play?

Also worth mentioning Oliha, Ayila, Olofinjana and Onazi who all had decent SE careers.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

waka-man wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:11 am Mikel is the most successful Nigerian footballer of all time.
So it’s right he tops the list.

After that, you’d have to say Oliseh. Then Muda.
Being most successful doesn't mean you are the best. Would you say Traore of Liverpool was a better than Babayaro because he won champion's and the latter didn't win anything?
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Ranking
1 Mikel Obi
2. Muda Lawal.
3. Ndidi.
4. Oliseh.
5. Sam Garba Okoye.
As most have already said, Mikel rarely played DM for the SE. So if your ranking is based on their performance in the green-white-green, then Mikel’s name shouldn’t be there.

Garba Okoye was not a DM.

The DM of today is not the same as during Musa’s era. The number 4 position in those days was the defensive midfielder of the 4-2-4 formation but they hardly had to sit back. Muda had lots of energy and covered a lot of ground, always running past and ahead of other midfielders hence why he was always around the box on both sides of the pitch. And he scored 13 goals from 86 matches. Haji Muda was a player.

But anyone here saw Godwin Achebe play?

Also worth mentioning Oliha, Ayila, Olofinjana and Onazi who all had decent SE careers.
Please add Justice Christopher to that list. Even though it was a short spell.