Malcolm Ebiowei is pure BALLER 2022

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Malcolm Ebiowei is pure BALLER 2022

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:58 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:37 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:00 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:12 pm
bret- hart wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:54 pm Dude was supposed to be part of the last u17 team but Manu dropped him for some "big man's," kid.
Wow. Really?
This talks about it with quotes from Finidi and a picture - that they asked him to cut his dreads at the time and sort of humiliated him before ultimately dropping him, na wa

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/su ... er/fh8benp
Thanks maceo4.
I’ve never got this stupidity Nigerian authorities have towards locks.
We have ‘dada’ as part of our culture yet we criminalise dreads.

I hope he has gotten over the humiliation and hasn’t deleted us as an option.
Damunk

It is a shame. But to be correct, it is not just Nigerian authorities. You find the same in the West where braids were frowned upon in the corporate world until a huge fight on that issue ensued.
But that’s sad, because these hairstyles are native to us, so we should be the most understanding and accepting of them, of course I can see a society that is majority white with straight hair wouldn’t totally understand the styles that are native to folks with curly/coarse hair and would have to be taught, but what’s our own excuse?

The only thing I can think of is to assert a certain power over and dominate youth as is prevalent in Nigerian culture. Else why is it of so much importance to them when all sorts of hair styles are prevalent among footballers (we are not even talking about the corporate world) and his parents don’t have a problem with it why is it anybody else’s problem? When I watch the dynamic of a lot of our youth team players and how their coaches relate to them it looks like the military or worse, it’s something that’s definitely gonna be foreign to a lot of diaspora kids and off putting.
My wife has had locks since soon after she graduated from university. She’s used to it now but the discrimination and insults she received in Nigeria just because of her dreads was unbelievable.
The commonest was the wahala at police checkpoints at night. Automatically she was a weed smoker and nothing she could say could change their view.
Still happens today but less so now that she’s no longer a skinny youth. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Malcolm Ebiowei is pure BALLER 2022

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:58 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:37 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:00 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:12 pm
bret- hart wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:54 pm Dude was supposed to be part of the last u17 team but Manu dropped him for some "big man's," kid.
Wow. Really?
This talks about it with quotes from Finidi and a picture - that they asked him to cut his dreads at the time and sort of humiliated him before ultimately dropping him, na wa

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/su ... er/fh8benp
Thanks maceo4.
I’ve never got this stupidity Nigerian authorities have towards locks.
We have ‘dada’ as part of our culture yet we criminalise dreads.

I hope he has gotten over the humiliation and hasn’t deleted us as an option.
Damunk

It is a shame. But to be correct, it is not just Nigerian authorities. You find the same in the West where braids were frowned upon in the corporate world until a huge fight on that issue ensued.
But that’s sad, because these hairstyles are native to us, so we should be the most understanding and accepting of them, of course I can see a society that is majority white with straight hair wouldn’t totally understand the styles that are native to folks with curly/coarse hair and would have to be taught, but what’s our own excuse?

The only thing I can think of is to assert a certain power over and dominate youth as is prevalent in Nigerian culture. Else why is it of so much importance to them when all sorts of hair styles are prevalent among footballers (we are not even talking about the corporate world) and his parents don’t have a problem with it why is it anybody else’s problem? When I watch the dynamic of a lot of our youth team players and how their coaches relate to them it looks like the military or worse, it’s something that’s definitely gonna be foreign to a lot of diaspora kids and off putting.
My wife has had locks since soon after she graduated from university. She’s used to it now but the discrimination and insults she received in Nigeria just because of her dreads was unbelievable.
The commonest was the wahala at police checkpoints at night. Automatically she was a weed smoker and nothing she could say could change their view.
Still happens today but less so now that she’s no longer a skinny youth. :rotf:
Damunk

It is crazy!!! A similar issue exists with tattoo. When is that we can go beyond these, beyond ethnicity, and other such mentality? We miss a lot of opportunities applying these shortcuts analyzing people that stand before us.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics