Maduka OKOYE Reveals HIS Goalkeeping strengths.......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Maduka OKOYE Reveals HIS Goalkeeping strengths.......

Post by Enugu II »

“I love one-on-ones” – Super Eagles and Watford ace Okoye reveals his four goalkeeping strengths
Imhons Erons by Imhons Erons 10 hours ago in EPL, Eredivisie, News, NewsNow, Nigeria 0
https://soccernet.ng/2022/06/i-love-one ... ngths.html

The Nigeria international will look to excel in England as he did in the Netherlands before his celebrated move

Super Eagles shot-stopper Maduka Okoye has revealed some of the goalkeeping strengths that have helped him rise from the lower leagues in Germany to the high reaches of the English Championship.

Just over two years ago, Okoye was battling it out in the fourth tier of German football with the Fortuna Düsseldorf reserve team.

But since then, the 22-year-old has built a solid reputation in the Netherlands and become the number one goalkeeper of the Super Eagles, three-time African champions.

Okoye has highlighted the qualities he possesses that have helped him earn a multimillion-euro move to Watford.

In a chat with the Watford Observer, Okoye discusses his strength in going one-on-ones with strikers, coming to claim crosses, playing the ball to his feet, and watching how great goalkeepers handle challenges.

“I love one-on-ones! For me there is nothing more beautiful than when a striker is in front of me, and it’s me or him. I have to get the ball or fail,” Okoye said.

“I like to be a presence in the air as well. I know the ball comes in the box a lot in the Championship and I enjoy that.

“Already in training, we have started work on that aspect a lot. I’m happy to take a risk and come for the ball. It’s good to do that sometimes and not just play safe.”

A big fan of Brazil great Dida, Okoye added: “Having to play with the ball at your feet as a keeper is a lot about reading the game,” he explained.

“It’s taking up the right position. I have no problem with the fact that being a goalkeeper in today’s football is about a lot more than keeping the ball out of the goal. As a keeper, I need to control the whole box at all times and be prepared to take control when the ball is outside the box.

“I like to watch other goalkeepers at the highest level and learn from what they do. The higher the standard they play in, the more they are expected to do with their feet inside and outside the box.”

Okoye is gearing up to be Watford’s number one goalkeeper next season as the Hornets aim to instantly return to the English Premier League following their relegation last term.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Maduka OKOYE Reveals HIS Goalkeeping strengths.......

Post by maceo4 »

Good luck to him, will do us a lot of good if he’s able to improve on his weaknesses. Now we need Uzoho and others to get regular playing time also.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 pm Good luck to him, will do us a lot of good if he’s able to improve on his weaknesses. Now we need Uzoho and others to get regular playing time also.
Improving your skills doesn’t necessarily mean you have weakness or weaknesses
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

jette1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:19 am
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 pm Good luck to him, will do us a lot of good if he’s able to improve on his weaknesses. Now we need Uzoho and others to get regular playing time also.
Improving your skills doesn’t necessarily mean you have weakness or weaknesses
Why start an argument with yourself in an empty room?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Is Okoye still in the Super-eagles' team?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Odas wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:33 am
I would hope so…as long as he’s committed…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

He will get another chance, i believe but he will more likely do so as a backup unless Uzoho messes up.
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 am
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 am He will get another chance, i believe but he will more likely do so as a backup unless Uzoho messes up.
I don’t have faith in neither once of them. I think Uzoho is playing with nothing to loose which is why he’s performing well, but I’m still shocked how jittery he was in that game against Ghana for someone who has WC experience.

Okoye needs to stop 1 shot before we can include him in the discussion 😆
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 am He will get another chance, i believe but he will more likely do so as a backup unless Uzoho messes up.
I don’t have faith in neither once of them. I think Uzoho is playing with nothing to loose which is why he’s performing well, but I’m still shocked how jittery he was in that game against Ghana for someone who has WC experience.

They will both come good sooner than y’all think.
Just watch.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 am

That's exactly what people don't understand, as a sportsman you are paid to perform under pressure. If you can’t do that then you are not the right person for the job, its that simple!...Even against Argentina at the world cup, he was jittery, watch how many times he kicked the ball out of play even with zero pressure.
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Let’s remember that for goal keepers both of these guys are still very early in their careers - they could evolve a lot before hitting their prime
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

donadoni wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:47 pm Let’s remember that for goal keepers both of these guys are still very early in their careers - they could evolve a lot before hitting their prime
You know when snipers have you in their sights, you are dead meat.
They’ve been unbelievably unforgiving of two keepers in the kindergarten stages of their careers.
But then, look how they savaged Akpeyi after his own mistake….. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "