Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by iworo »

fledy
Egg
Egg
Re: Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by fledy »

Go win ladies! You got this one
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by packerland »

I’ll take a spot in the semifinal knowing that they will be in the World Cup. Missing the Olympics was painful and God knows it has not been our year in soccer.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 pm
Lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

There has been no reports of any issues in the camp but we all know of the lingering shenanigans between Oshoala and Onome. I hope they have put it all to bed.

We have a great goalie and a solid defender in Ashley combined with good runners in Rasheedat and Toni Payne in midfield. Getting it right in attack is where I worry and also a passer in the midfield which the team severely lacks.

This is going to be a very tough Wafcon and they have South Africa in the first game. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

I wish them the best. Will be rooting hard as usual.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

my 3 favorites are in Camp .... Alozie, Nicole and Toni Payne.. I think Toni is going to have a huge tourney
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Nnadozie for me.
Awesome keeper
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:53 pm Nnadozie for me.
Awesome keeper
:clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

There has been no reports of any issues in the camp but we all know of the lingering shenanigans between Oshoala and Onome. I hope they have put it all to bed.

We have a great goalie and a solid defender in Ashley combined with good runners in Rasheedat and Toni Payne in midfield. Getting it right in attack is where I worry and also a passer in the midfield which the team severely lacks.

This is going to be a very tough Wafcon and they have South Africa in the first game. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

Good analysis. The team is solid defensively, subpar in attack and the midfield is nothing to write home about. They need to retire 1-2 old heads on defense and Francesca Ordega.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 am
Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

Good analysis. The team is solid defensively, subpar in attack and the midfield is nothing to write home about. They need to retire 1-2 old heads on defense and Francesca Ordega.
Which kind good analysis; I stopped reading when he says the team has played only one decent game - in the last 2 years ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Was going to say that I love your courage. Sticking to your guns and not minding what comments were made by people before you. What I picked up from what you said was that majority of those you see as best are those from across the river Niger. Best believe we have some very decent mfs . Two in Spain and one of the deadliest stickers in the game. Will she come with her A game? That is left for us to find out. And guess what? The quadruple of them are all home bread.

quote=Ugbowo post_id=5783236 time=1656366203 user_id=420]
This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

[/quote]
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:08 am

Which kind good analysis; I stopped reading when he says the team has played only one decent game - in the last 2 years ?
Jetti, don't mind them. They clearly show they have not been following the team. This team is still the best in Africa. They are better than they were last year. They say only one decent game. Remember, this team won the Turkish Women's Cup last year beating Equatorial Guinea 9nil on their way. They were depleted in the Aisha Buhari Cup (the one every one keeps refering to) without considering the absence of Payne, Ajibade, Ohale, Plumptre, Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ayinde etc. What these guys fail to realise is we went through the toughest qualifiers possible despatching Ghana & Ivory Coast. I can tell you that the Ivory Coast is one hell of a team and will beat South Africa anyday, but we despatched them with the brilliance of Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ajibade & co. I can bet that the tournament will be easier for the Falcons than the qualifiers. The only team that concerns me is Cameroon.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 am

Jetti, don't mind them. They clearly show they have not been following the team. This team is still the best in Africa. They are better than they were last year. They say only one decent game. Remember, this team won the Turkish Women's Cup last year beating Equatorial Guinea 9nil on their way. They were depleted in the Aisha Buhari Cup (the one every one keeps refering to) without considering the absence of Payne, Ajibade, Ohale, Plumptre, Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ayinde etc. What these guys fail to realise is we went through the toughest qualifiers possible despatching Ghana & Ivory Coast. I can tell you that the Ivory Coast is one hell of a team and will beat South Africa anyday, but we despatched them with the brilliance of Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ajibade & co. I can bet that the tournament will be easier for the Falcons than the qualifiers. The only team that concerns me is Cameroon.
Stop it! Ivory Coast is not better than South Africa. They had one winger-mid fielder that troubled the Falcons in both game.

In summary, the team has been grinding out results for a while. The talent is there but I think their defensive assignments is affecting their offensive part of the game. Payne is not even playing her natural position.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Nicole and Toni Payne na siblings or related in any way?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Stop it! Ivory Coast is not better than South Africa. They had one winger-mid fielder that troubled the Falcons in both game.

In summary, the team has been grinding out results for a while. The talent is there but I think their defensive assignments is affecting their offensive part of the game. Payne is not even playing her natural position.
This clearly shows how in the dark you are. South Africa are seriously overated! Few weeks ago they were thrashed 3nil by Zambia and 5-1 by Netherlands. I also watched their qualifier against Algeria, who paid for missing glaring chances. I no blame you, I blame CAF, but for the nonsense qualifying route Ivory Coast would have been in this tournament. Morocco played a friendly with them 3 days ago and struggled to come out with a draw. You say the defensive arrangements is affecting their offensive part but that is BS. The reason is we have been playing high-level opponents in all the friendlies and qualifiers since last year. That we scored 2 goals against Canada and created other chances means we are very ok in attack especially for Africa. It will be very interesting to watch how South Africa try to contain Onumonu & Oshoala, with Payne & Ajibade from the midfield. You say we do not have passers but it was the passes from Chikwelu & Ajibade that split Ivory Coast open in both legs.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I think they have followed the team much better than you indicate. What they refer to is that this team has not played a friendly CLOSE to the tournament. That is a fact. If you think otherwise then state the friendly. Meanwhile, is a similar situation tolerable if this was the Super Eagles?

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 pm I think they have followed the team much better than you indicate. What they refer to is that this team has not played a friendly CLOSE to the tournament. That is a fact. If you think otherwise then state the friendly. Meanwhile, is a similar situation tolerable if this was the Super Eagles?

I assure that is not what they are referring too otherwise they too will know that South Africa also have not played a friendly close to the tournament. Their last game was their 5-1 thrashing to Netherlands and day after we played our 2nd game against Canada in April. The Falcons did play 2 games on the same day (spilt teams) against Bayesla Queens & Naija Ratels but that must have been just tactical workout. It seems that Waldrum focused more on closed camping and aassumptions will be based on the last qualifiers,the Canada games and the current camping.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cito wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:06 pm Nicole and Toni Payne na siblings or related in any way?
Sisters, about 6 years apart.
Toni is the senior one.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Nah wah for Africa!! :lol: :lol:....See training ground full of of smoke :roll:.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Gents,

We can have a civil discourse on the strengths and weaknesses of this team as currently constructed without having to get disrespectful.

I have watched every Falcons game since the 9-0 win against EQ Guinea in February last year. I was with the team in the US and followed the qualifying games against Ghana and CIV then the Canada games as well (9 games total). The best performance was the home leg win against CIV....even that was labored as the Falcons were never fully in control.

The team has a glaring weakness in CM. It cannot dictate a game with passing rhythms and midfield movement. There is no passer in there. Rita Obikwelu is being asked to do this and bless her heart because she works very hard, but she is way past it. Rasheedat plays there with her but as talented as she is, she's not a midfielder in the way she plays. The third midfielder option has been an issue in those games. Toni Payne has played there but that's not her strength either, Ngozi Okobi has been tried there as well. Until they fix this, we will continue to struggle there.

Then we get to the enigma that is Michelle Alozie. A striker for the Houston Dash but a right back for the Falcons. Yes players play in multiple positions these days but even this is a bit of a stretch. It was supposed to be a one time thing during the tour of the US but she's the mainstay there for lack of better options (?) and can be a huge liability defensively.

When was the last good game Oshoala played for the Falcons? Can you remember it? We have some great talent in attack but Oshoala is going to be the one to lead the line for the team. Waldrum has not found the right combination yet. I sure hopes he figures it out.

Onome is going to captain the team and again, bless her heart but she's in her 40s now and hasn't played club football in a minute. Ashleigh has been a great addition but she's a CB being played at LB most of the time because we have weaknesses there as well.

Then there has been no prep games whatsoever for the team. How do you go into a tournament this way?

There are a lot of holes in the team and the last time we played SA, they beat us very well. Comfortably. You can call it a depleted Falcons team then but there were a lot of starters on the team that day. Monday's game will be tough, recent results be damned.

I am hoping for the best but this will be a challenge for the girls.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 pm
packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:42 pm

This clearly shows how in the dark you are. South Africa are seriously overated! Few weeks ago they were thrashed 3nil by Zambia and 5-1 by Netherlands. I also watched their qualifier against Algeria, who paid for missing glaring chances. I no blame you, I blame CAF, but for the nonsense qualifying route Ivory Coast would have been in this tournament. Morocco played a friendly with them 3 days ago and struggled to come out with a draw. You say the defensive arrangements is affecting their offensive part but that is BS. The reason is we have been playing high-level opponents in all the friendlies and qualifiers since last year. That we scored 2 goals against Canada and created other chances means we are very ok in attack especially for Africa. It will be very interesting to watch how South Africa try to contain Onumonu & Oshoala, with Payne & Ajibade from the midfield. You say we do not have passers but it was the passes from Chikwelu & Ajibade that split Ivory Coast open in both legs.
Hey, I like the girls but you sound like a homer. I think the team is coming together but they haven't had enough friendly matches together. The few friendlies you were rambling about they barely hade enough players and subs available for those matches. Yes, I can't stand CAF quaifying format but its not like African women soccer have a lot of good teams. We have 3-4 good to ok teams in the whole continent. The Cameroon team you are bragging about recently lost 4-0 to France.