Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by Kabalega »

Gotti wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:59 pm
jette1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 pmbut if this na supper eagles the heading wont read; here are 25 men representing Nigeria; why say ladies instead of players. this are manifestations of unconscious sexist tendencies
Are they not ladies?
Or are you insinuating that you know something the rest of us don't.

Dude, "ladies" and "players" are NOT mutually-exclusive terms!
And if you search "men" wrt SE on CE, it will be one of the most used terms.

It's good to be "woke"...
But when being employed merely to show off "wokeness", it can become quite SILLY!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Help the bro out.
Jette1, probably hangs around social justice activist feminists (likely psych majors) who routinely beat up on him with pseudo intellectual phrases that he memorizes and regurgitates to sound smart.
Last edited by Kabalega on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by packerland »

Kabalega wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:44 am
packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 am
Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

There has been no reports of any issues in the camp but we all know of the lingering shenanigans between Oshoala and Onome. I hope they have put it all to bed.

We have a great goalie and a solid defender in Ashley combined with good runners in Rasheedat and Toni Payne in midfield. Getting it right in attack is where I worry and also a passer in the midfield which the team severely lacks.

This is going to be a very tough Wafcon and they have South Africa in the first game. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

I wish them the best. Will be rooting hard as usual.
Good analysis. The team is solid defensively, subpar in attack and the midfield is nothing to write home about. They need to retire 1-2 old heads on defense and Francesca Ordega.
Why? Francesca is no longer dangerous?
In a big cup tournament (final in less than 10 team games), you need experienced, dangerous players.
They may not play all 90+ minutes as they need more time to recover but their experience is crucial.
Forget Ordega. She can barely run anymore. At times she plays like she just got done doing her finger nails & doesn't want it to break.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Zambian captain banned from participation; Forget Oshola this (girl) here na fire
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Zambian captain banned from participation; Forget Oshola this (girl) here na fire
Due to "high testosterone levels". Its a tough one if these are naturally-occurring levels for her.
Remember, the South African long distance runner had similar (but not identical) issues and I don't think she survived the furore.
But high testosterone levels DOES give them a competitive advantage over other women.
She's not cheating but is being cheated out of her right to compete.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Kabalega wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:44 am
Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

There has been no reports of any issues in the camp but we all know of the lingering shenanigans between Oshoala and Onome. I hope they have put it all to bed.

We have a great goalie and a solid defender in Ashley combined with good runners in Rasheedat and Toni Payne in midfield. Getting it right in attack is where I worry and also a passer in the midfield which the team severely lacks.

This is going to be a very tough Wafcon and they have South Africa in the first game. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

Good analysis. The team is solid defensively, subpar in attack and the midfield is nothing to write home about. They need to retire 1-2 old heads on defense and Francesca Ordega.
Why? Francesca is no longer dangerous?
In a big cup tournament (final in less than 10 team games), you need experienced, dangerous players.
They may not play all 90+ minutes as they need more time to recover but their experience is crucial.

Do not mention that name again.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Gotti wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:13 am As deep as this Super Falcons team is...
By next year's WWC (which we should expect to qualify for), it should be even deeper.

Apart from the likes of the currently-injured Esther Okoronkwo, and the unavailable Chinwendu Ihezuo and Desire Oparanozie (both due to China's Covid isolation regulations), there's also the likes of Rosa Ariyo and Onynyechi Zogg (still can't figure out why she was not called up), among others. And, post-U20 WWC, the likes of skipper Tosin Demehin (who's already made her Super Falcons debut during the US tour) and Esther Onyenezide should be stepping up from the U20 ranks into the senior squad. Personally, I expect Esther to be one of the bright spots for the U20 Falconets at the U20 WWC this summer, and, all things being equal, to proceed to become one of the fulcrum of the Falcons' midfield over the next few years.
Someone not good enough should not be called up.
Watched her for years before she was even called up the first time.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:50 pm
Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 am
jette1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:08 am

Which kind good analysis; I stopped reading when he says the team has played only one decent game - in the last 2 years ?
Jetti, don't mind them. They clearly show they have not been following the team. This team is still the best in Africa. They are better than they were last year. They say only one decent game. Remember, this team won the Turkish Women's Cup last year beating Equatorial Guinea 9nil on their way. They were depleted in the Aisha Buhari Cup (the one every one keeps refering to) without considering the absence of Payne, Ajibade, Ohale, Plumptre, Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ayinde etc. What these guys fail to realise is we went through the toughest qualifiers possible despatching Ghana & Ivory Coast. I can tell you that the Ivory Coast is one hell of a team and will beat South Africa anyday, but we despatched them with the brilliance of Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ajibade & co. I can bet that the tournament will be easier for the Falcons than the qualifiers. The only team that concerns me is Cameroon.
Gents,

We can have a civil discourse on the strengths and weaknesses of this team as currently constructed without having to get disrespectful.

I have watched every Falcons game since the 9-0 win against EQ Guinea in February last year. I was with the team in the US and followed the qualifying games against Ghana and CIV then the Canada games as well (9 games total). The best performance was the home leg win against CIV....even that was labored as the Falcons were never fully in control.

The team has a glaring weakness in CM. It cannot dictate a game with passing rhythms and midfield movement. There is no passer in there. Rita Obikwelu is being asked to do this and bless her heart because she works very hard, but she is way past it. Rasheedat plays there with her but as talented as she is, she's not a midfielder in the way she plays. The third midfielder option has been an issue in those games. Toni Payne has played there but that's not her strength either, Ngozi Okobi has been tried there as well. Until they fix this, we will continue to struggle there.

Then we get to the enigma that is Michelle Alozie. A striker for the Houston Dash but a right back for the Falcons. Yes players play in multiple positions these days but even this is a bit of a stretch. It was supposed to be a one time thing during the tour of the US but she's the mainstay there for lack of better options (?) and can be a huge liability defensively.

When was the last good game Oshoala played for the Falcons? Can you remember it? We have some great talent in attack but Oshoala is going to be the one to lead the line for the team. Waldrum has not found the right combination yet. I sure hopes he figures it out.

Onome is going to captain the team and again, bless her heart but she's in her 40s now and hasn't played club football in a minute. Ashleigh has been a great addition but she's a CB being played at LB most of the time because we have weaknesses there as well.

Then there has been no prep games whatsoever for the team. How do you go into a tournament this way?

There are a lot of holes in the team and the last time we played SA, they beat us very well. Comfortably. You can call it a depleted Falcons team then but there were a lot of starters on the team that day. Monday's game will be tough, recent results be damned.

I am hoping for the best but this will be a challenge for the girls.
I hope you are aware that South Africa too has not played any friendlies going into this tournament, so we are in the same boat. When you say South Africa beat us comfortably in the Aisha Buhari Cup, I suggest you go & rewatch the match. We virtually threw the game with unforced errors. An own goal & 2 penalties in conditions where we were not under pressure. Oparanozie even scored earlier that was dubiously ruled out. I seriously don't get this South Africa praise. They clearly haven't improved since last year but we have with more quality personel. Surely you can't compare Canada & South Africa
You are fixated on SA but haven't said anything about our own team as we are currently constructed.
Not striker & not defender; for long was not, & not really yet in first team.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:22 pm
jette1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Due to "high testosterone levels". Its a tough one if these are naturally-occurring levels for her.
Remember, the South African long distance runner had similar (but not identical) issues and I don't think she survived the furore.
But high testosterone levels DOES give them a competitive advantage over other women.
She's not cheating but is being cheated out of her right to compete.
its a tough issue at this point in time and we can be sure the issue isn't going to bed anytime soon and if anything there can be no more proof to to cave men who still want to close their eyes to the fact that humans don't get to choose what gender they want to be biology choses that for us and in some cases traps people in-between regardless of outward physiological expressions. imagine if they disqualified a male boxer because he has high levels of estrogen, and we know very well some guys have higher levels of estrogen than what would be considered normal level.
Last edited by jette1 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

The ref for the game between Morocco and Bfasso is a mess.
- Gave a free kick which was taken
- then decided to check for penalty which showed the incident happened inside the box.
- She decided to award the free kick again
- Asked the Bfasso wall to line up closer to 20 yards away from ball
- Results in a goal.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cito wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:08 pm The ref for the game between Morocco and Bfasso is a mess.
- then decided to check for penalty which showed the incident happened inside the box.
- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:24 pm
Cito wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:08 pm The ref for the game between Morocco and Bfasso is a mess.
- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
It was on TV. BeIn sports
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Cito wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:23 pm
- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
That was not a foul to warrant a double take.
It was not a penalty.
The 2nd positioning of the ball from the 1st made the 2nd freekick not warranted.
Just a gift; would like to hear from ref post match.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oguleftie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:33 pm
- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
It was not a penalty.
The 2nd positioning of the ball from the 1st made the 2nd freekick not warranted.
So what was the standard of the game like?
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
It was not a penalty.
It wasn't a foul, I agree and the wall lining was longer than the 18yard box. It was a farce to be frank.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:36 pm
- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
It was not a penalty.
Standard was/is nothing to worry about.
Who will be the 4th team is something to say as group stage progresses.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oguleftie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:43 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:36 pm
- Results in a goal.
Any links, abeg.
It was not a penalty.
Standard was/is nothing to worry about.
Who will be the 4th team is something to say as group stage progresses.
I think l read that the Africa Women’s record is 10-1.

Maybe the SE can inspire the girls to go on and break that record.
You never know. :tic:
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

that game was pretty much Morocco vs Burkina goalie; rest of BF players were useless even with empty net they looked like Harlem Globe trotters

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Which kind good analysis; I stopped reading when he says the team has played only one decent game - in the last 2 years ?
Jetti, don't mind them. They clearly show they have not been following the team. This team is still the best in Africa. They are better than they were last year. They say only one decent game. Remember, this team won the Turkish Women's Cup last year beating Equatorial Guinea 9nil on their way. They were depleted in the Aisha Buhari Cup (the one every one keeps refering to) without considering the absence of Payne, Ajibade, Ohale, Plumptre, Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ayinde etc. What these guys fail to realise is we went through the toughest qualifiers possible despatching Ghana & Ivory Coast. I can tell you that the Ivory Coast is one hell of a team and will beat South Africa anyday, but we despatched them with the brilliance of Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ajibade & co. I can bet that the tournament will be easier for the Falcons than the qualifiers. The only team that concerns me is Cameroon.
Gents,

We can have a civil discourse on the strengths and weaknesses of this team as currently constructed without having to get disrespectful.

I have watched every Falcons game since the 9-0 win against EQ Guinea in February last year. I was with the team in the US and followed the qualifying games against Ghana and CIV then the Canada games as well (9 games total). The best performance was the home leg win against CIV....even that was labored as the Falcons were never fully in control.

The team has a glaring weakness in CM. It cannot dictate a game with passing rhythms and midfield movement. There is no passer in there. Rita Obikwelu is being asked to do this and bless her heart because she works very hard, but she is way past it. Rasheedat plays there with her but as talented as she is, she's not a midfielder in the way she plays. The third midfielder option has been an issue in those games. Toni Payne has played there but that's not her strength either, Ngozi Okobi has been tried there as well. Until they fix this, we will continue to struggle there.

Then we get to the enigma that is Michelle Alozie. A striker for the Houston Dash but a right back for the Falcons. Yes players play in multiple positions these days but even this is a bit of a stretch. It was supposed to be a one time thing during the tour of the US but she's the mainstay there for lack of better options (?) and can be a huge liability defensively.

When was the last good game Oshoala played for the Falcons? Can you remember it? We have some great talent in attack but Oshoala is going to be the one to lead the line for the team. Waldrum has not found the right combination yet. I sure hopes he figures it out.

Onome is going to captain the team and again, bless her heart but she's in her 40s now and hasn't played club football in a minute. Ashleigh has been a great addition but she's a CB being played at LB most of the time because we have weaknesses there as well.

Then there has been no prep games whatsoever for the team. How do you go into a tournament this way?

There are a lot of holes in the team and the last time we played SA, they beat us very well. Comfortably. You can call it a depleted Falcons team then but there were a lot of starters on the team that day. Monday's game will be tough, recent results be damned.

I stand by everything I said in this comment. This team needs work. Serious work.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:58 pm

Gents,

I stand by everything I said in this comment. This team needs work. Serious work.
I think you forgot to talk about the coach.... Florence Omagbeni was better!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:58 pm

Gents,

You dey mind Jette1 & Adisaboy and their hype. The team still don’t have a midfield and SA has been the better team for a while.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Oguleftie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:32 pmSomeone not good enough should not be called up.
Playing well should be a criteria for further evaluation...
Not whether or not OGULEFTIE "has watched her for years"...
Particularly considering OGULEFTIE said Oshoala wouldn't make it at Barca! :P
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Gotti wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:48 pm
Oguleftie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:32 pmSomeone not good enough should not be called up.
Playing well should be a criteria for further evaluation...
Not whether or not OGULEFTIE "has watched her for years"...
Particularly considering OGULEFTIE said Oshoala wouldn't make it at Barca! :P
1. And who did Oguleftie say plays well?

2. Can you provide proof?