Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Re: Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by Adisboy »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 am
jette1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:08 am
packerland wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 am
Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

There has been no reports of any issues in the camp but we all know of the lingering shenanigans between Oshoala and Onome. I hope they have put it all to bed.

We have a great goalie and a solid defender in Ashley combined with good runners in Rasheedat and Toni Payne in midfield. Getting it right in attack is where I worry and also a passer in the midfield which the team severely lacks.

This is going to be a very tough Wafcon and they have South Africa in the first game. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

I wish them the best. Will be rooting hard as usual.
Good analysis. The team is solid defensively, subpar in attack and the midfield is nothing to write home about. They need to retire 1-2 old heads on defense and Francesca Ordega.
Which kind good analysis; I stopped reading when he says the team has played only one decent game - in the last 2 years ?
Jetti, don't mind them. They clearly show they have not been following the team. This team is still the best in Africa. They are better than they were last year. They say only one decent game. Remember, this team won the Turkish Women's Cup last year beating Equatorial Guinea 9nil on their way. They were depleted in the Aisha Buhari Cup (the one every one keeps refering to) without considering the absence of Payne, Ajibade, Ohale, Plumptre, Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ayinde etc. What these guys fail to realise is we went through the toughest qualifiers possible despatching Ghana & Ivory Coast. I can tell you that the Ivory Coast is one hell of a team and will beat South Africa anyday, but we despatched them with the brilliance of Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ajibade & co. I can bet that the tournament will be easier for the Falcons than the qualifiers. The only team that concerns me is Cameroon.
Gents,

We can have a civil discourse on the strengths and weaknesses of this team as currently constructed without having to get disrespectful.

I have watched every Falcons game since the 9-0 win against EQ Guinea in February last year. I was with the team in the US and followed the qualifying games against Ghana and CIV then the Canada games as well (9 games total). The best performance was the home leg win against CIV....even that was labored as the Falcons were never fully in control.

The team has a glaring weakness in CM. It cannot dictate a game with passing rhythms and midfield movement. There is no passer in there. Rita Obikwelu is being asked to do this and bless her heart because she works very hard, but she is way past it. Rasheedat plays there with her but as talented as she is, she's not a midfielder in the way she plays. The third midfielder option has been an issue in those games. Toni Payne has played there but that's not her strength either, Ngozi Okobi has been tried there as well. Until they fix this, we will continue to struggle there.

Then we get to the enigma that is Michelle Alozie. A striker for the Houston Dash but a right back for the Falcons. Yes players play in multiple positions these days but even this is a bit of a stretch. It was supposed to be a one time thing during the tour of the US but she's the mainstay there for lack of better options (?) and can be a huge liability defensively.

When was the last good game Oshoala played for the Falcons? Can you remember it? We have some great talent in attack but Oshoala is going to be the one to lead the line for the team. Waldrum has not found the right combination yet. I sure hopes he figures it out.

Onome is going to captain the team and again, bless her heart but she's in her 40s now and hasn't played club football in a minute. Ashleigh has been a great addition but she's a CB being played at LB most of the time because we have weaknesses there as well.

Then there has been no prep games whatsoever for the team. How do you go into a tournament this way?

There are a lot of holes in the team and the last time we played SA, they beat us very well. Comfortably. You can call it a depleted Falcons team then but there were a lot of starters on the team that day. Monday's game will be tough, recent results be damned.

I am hoping for the best but this will be a challenge for the girls.
I hope you are aware that South Africa too has not played any friendlies going into this tournament, so we are in the same boat. When you say South Africa beat us comfortably in the Aisha Buhari Cup, I suggest you go & rewatch the match. We virtually threw the game with unforced errors. An own goal & 2 penalties in conditions where we were not under pressure. Oparanozie even scored earlier that was dubiously ruled out. I seriously don't get this South Africa praise. They clearly haven't improved since last year but we have with more quality personel. Surely you can't compare Canada & South Africa
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Re: Here are the 25 ladies representing Nigeria as the Super Falcons embark on their quest for a 10th WAFCON title.

Post by Ugbowo »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm This team has played only 1, maybe 2 decent games in the last 2 years out of about 10. The other performances have been rocky and some of the old "reliables" are still there.

There has been no reports of any issues in the camp but we all know of the lingering shenanigans between Oshoala and Onome. I hope they have put it all to bed.

We have a great goalie and a solid defender in Ashley combined with good runners in Rasheedat and Toni Payne in midfield. Getting it right in attack is where I worry and also a passer in the midfield which the team severely lacks.

This is going to be a very tough Wafcon and they have South Africa in the first game. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

Good analysis. The team is solid defensively, subpar in attack and the midfield is nothing to write home about. They need to retire 1-2 old heads on defense and Francesca Ordega.
Which kind good analysis; I stopped reading when he says the team has played only one decent game - in the last 2 years ?
Jetti, don't mind them. They clearly show they have not been following the team. This team is still the best in Africa. They are better than they were last year. They say only one decent game. Remember, this team won the Turkish Women's Cup last year beating Equatorial Guinea 9nil on their way. They were depleted in the Aisha Buhari Cup (the one every one keeps refering to) without considering the absence of Payne, Ajibade, Ohale, Plumptre, Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ayinde etc. What these guys fail to realise is we went through the toughest qualifiers possible despatching Ghana & Ivory Coast. I can tell you that the Ivory Coast is one hell of a team and will beat South Africa anyday, but we despatched them with the brilliance of Onumonu, Okoronkwo, Ajibade & co. I can bet that the tournament will be easier for the Falcons than the qualifiers. The only team that concerns me is Cameroon.
Gents,

We can have a civil discourse on the strengths and weaknesses of this team as currently constructed without having to get disrespectful.

I have watched every Falcons game since the 9-0 win against EQ Guinea in February last year. I was with the team in the US and followed the qualifying games against Ghana and CIV then the Canada games as well (9 games total). The best performance was the home leg win against CIV....even that was labored as the Falcons were never fully in control.

The team has a glaring weakness in CM. It cannot dictate a game with passing rhythms and midfield movement. There is no passer in there. Rita Obikwelu is being asked to do this and bless her heart because she works very hard, but she is way past it. Rasheedat plays there with her but as talented as she is, she's not a midfielder in the way she plays. The third midfielder option has been an issue in those games. Toni Payne has played there but that's not her strength either, Ngozi Okobi has been tried there as well. Until they fix this, we will continue to struggle there.

Then we get to the enigma that is Michelle Alozie. A striker for the Houston Dash but a right back for the Falcons. Yes players play in multiple positions these days but even this is a bit of a stretch. It was supposed to be a one time thing during the tour of the US but she's the mainstay there for lack of better options (?) and can be a huge liability defensively.

When was the last good game Oshoala played for the Falcons? Can you remember it? We have some great talent in attack but Oshoala is going to be the one to lead the line for the team. Waldrum has not found the right combination yet. I sure hopes he figures it out.

Onome is going to captain the team and again, bless her heart but she's in her 40s now and hasn't played club football in a minute. Ashleigh has been a great addition but she's a CB being played at LB most of the time because we have weaknesses there as well.

Then there has been no prep games whatsoever for the team. How do you go into a tournament this way?

There are a lot of holes in the team and the last time we played SA, they beat us very well. Comfortably. You can call it a depleted Falcons team then but there were a lot of starters on the team that day. Monday's game will be tough, recent results be damned.

I hope you are aware that South Africa too has not played any friendlies going into this tournament, so we are in the same boat. When you say South Africa beat us comfortably in the Aisha Buhari Cup, I suggest you go & rewatch the match. We virtually threw the game with unforced errors. An own goal & 2 penalties in conditions where we were not under pressure. Oparanozie even scored earlier that was dubiously ruled out. I seriously don't get this South Africa praise. They clearly haven't improved since last year but we have with more quality personel. Surely you can't compare Canada & South Africa
You are fixated on SA but haven't said anything about our own team as we are currently constructed.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:50 pm
Adisboy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 pm

Gents,

You are fixated on SA but haven't said anything about our own team as we are currently constructed.
It's others that are fixated on SA & i don't get it. And obviously you have not followed my earlier posts otherwise you see extensively what I have said about our team. Currently we are the best side in Africa. Onumonu & Macleans are new strikers that excite me. Ayinde is back after a long layoff plus Uchiebe in the middle together with the usual suspects. We have the best squad in this tournament. It be herculian task for any team to stop our 10th title. It's only Cameroon that I worry about. The good thing is over the past year we have been playing top sides so I think we are definitely prepared for this tournament which apart from maybe 3 others teams are much inferior to teams we've played this past year. We are complete all over as far as Africa is concerned. When we get to the World Cup that is a different discussion.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

What exactly was the beef about? Just the captaincy?
Anyway, in my opinion, Onome will always make a better captain than Osoala. Onome has that mature, reassuring presence. Osoala on the other hand seems to me a bit too flighty. I might be wrong but it seems Osoala was disrespectful and that is totally out of order.

This article does not give much detail but kudos to Onome for being so mature about it.
My younger sister, my sport daughter – Onome Ebi describes relationship with Oshoala

There’d been some heavy air around the Super Falcons over the team’s captaincy

Super Falcons veteran defender, Onome Ebi described her relationship with Asisat Oshoala in the FIFA ‘Icons’ documentary as cordial.

Ebi said a young Oshoala had come to meet her to be under her wings when she joined the Super Falcons.
“She came to me and wanted to be close to me because she liked the way I play. I motivate her. I see her as my younger sister, my sport daughter,” Ebi said.
Oshoala has since become a mainstay of the team herself and its most prized asset.

Describing how the Barcelona Femeni attacker stepped up her responsibility in the team, Ebi said; “She matured in the game. She became a fighter. She started in Liverpool, and things weren’t smooth. Then she changed to Arsenal, and things weren’t still smooth for her the way she wanted. When she moved to China, people said Asisat football will go down. ‘Why did she move to China?’ and other negative things all over, but she never listened. Before you know, Asisat from China to Barcelona. One of the biggest in the world.”

Ebi spoke glowingly about the attacker and said she’s an angel in Lagos, a cultural icon. Oshoala was captain of the team for nearly three years until a reported change in the team’s captaincy saw 38-year old Ebi take up the band.
The development led to furious tirades from Oshoala as she rained slurs on the veteran defender. The suspected breakdown in their relationship has left many wondering what went wrong considering how close they’ve always been.

Super Falcons coach, Randy Waldrum and the NFF officials are expected to help both players settle their differences and maintain their harmony as teammates. When asked about the issue, Waldrum said he won’t like to weigh in on it and said there are lots of misconceptions in the Nigerian media.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/04/my-younger ... hoala.html
More cordial times… when Onome nearly had to give Oshoala away in marriage to the Cameroonian FA Chairman.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Go Falcons! :sneaky:
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

See a new addition to the Super Falcons attack that the rest of Africa will have to contend with next week. Introducing Macleans Chinoyerem

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Una too like to argue and dey spam pointless rants. Can we focus on our beautiful Falcons wishing them the best. I want to see this young team in NewZeland next year. GOD WILLING
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Big Porkey strikes again. Big Porkey on his knees, proposing to Oshoala

[/quote]
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

We have to beat South Africa in the 1st game.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

tops 4 qualifies for the Worldcup ooo
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

SPORTWAFCON 2022: It’s time to dethrone Super Falcons – Banyana coach,
EllisPublished on June 28, 2022
By Mike Oyebola

South Africa head coach, Desiree Ellis says the Banyana Banyana are firmly focused on winning their maiden title at the 2022 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations in Morocco.

The biennial competition will kick off this weekend. The Banyana Banyana have been runners-up five times in the competition.

Three of those defeats were against nine-time champions, the Super Falcons of Nigeria.
Ellis’ charges are pitted in Group C with the Super Falcons, debutants, Botswana and Burundi.

The South Africans will face the Super Falcons in their first game in Rabat next week Monday.

The tactician, whose side have won two of their last three meetings against Nigeria is targeting a good start.

“We have to make sure we get a positive result from the first match because that will set the tone for the rest of the tournament,” Ellis told Times Live.

“It will also be naïve of us to go to the tournament and not set a goal of winning it. I think we will be no different from any other country in wanting to win it.

“We’ve been runners-up five times and 2018 was really the closest. The time is now that we really step up and make sure we get that gold medal, but we must not underestimate any teams in our group.”

https://dailypost.ng/2022/06/28/wafcon- ... ach-ellis/
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:03 pm
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
What a captain!
Her positivity and energy give me goose bumps!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 pm tops 4 qualifies for the Worldcup ooo
Chillax! They have qualified to every women’s World Cup since the tournament started.

Unless Pinnick & his entourage decides to storm their dressing room at H.T of every game or they get a phone call from his excellency 😂 or the sports minister starts boasting that they will beat the sh*t out of every team they will face. Any of these 3 scenarios will lead to DNQ.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

packerland wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:24 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 pm tops 4 qualifies for the Worldcup ooo
Chillax! They have qualified to every women’s World Cup since the tournament started.

Unless Pinnick & his entourage decides to storm their dressing room at H.T of every game or they get a phone call from his excellency 😂 or the sports minister starts boasting that they will beat the sh*t out of every team they will face. Any of these 3 scenarios will lead to DNQ.
Its very possible those things can happen o. I just pray Baba at Aso rock does not call them
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

As deep as this Super Falcons team is...
By next year's WWC (which we should expect to qualify for), it should be even deeper.

Apart from the likes of the currently-injured Esther Okoronkwo, and the unavailable Chinwendu Ihezuo and Desire Oparanozie (both due to China's Covid isolation regulations), there's also the likes of Rosa Ariyo and Onynyechi Zogg (still can't figure out why she was not called up), among others. And, post-U20 WWC, the likes of skipper Tosin Demehin (who's already made her Super Falcons debut during the US tour) and Esther Onyenezide should be stepping up from the U20 ranks into the senior squad. Personally, I expect Esther to be one of the bright spots for the U20 Falconets at the U20 WWC this summer, and, all things being equal, to proceed to become one of the fulcrum of the Falcons' midfield over the next few years.
Last edited by Gotti on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's called a "Parachute Analysis"
This will be one of the deepest Falcons team ever.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 pmI think they have followed the team much better than you indicate. What they refer to is that this team has not played a friendly CLOSE to the tournament. That is a fact. If you think otherwise then state the friendly. Meanwhile, is a similar situation tolerable if this was the Super Eagles?
Same for other teams, no thanks to the FIFA Calendar (except perhaps those teams totally home-based)...

Nonetheless, this was a team that went away to Canada with a weakened team (and no training), and was a few minutes away from beating the reigning Olympic Games champions on their own home turf. The ladies will be okay in Morocco.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:51 am
Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:53 pm Nnadozie for me.
Awesome keeper
:clap: :clap:
She's suspended for the first game (vs SA)...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Gotti wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:46 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:51 am
Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:53 pm Nnadozie for me.
Awesome keeper
:clap: :clap:
She's suspended for the first game (vs SA)...
Good thing we have a very competent no.2 in Oluehi. As you quoted earlier, this is one of the deepest Falcons squad I can remember. They are stacked.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

but if this na supper eagles the heading wont read; here are 25 men representing Nigeria; why say ladies instead of players. this are manifestations of unconscious sexist tendencies
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 pmbut if this na supper eagles the heading wont read; here are 25 men representing Nigeria; why say ladies instead of players. this are manifestations of unconscious sexist tendencies
Are they not ladies?
Or are you insinuating that you know something the rest of us don't.

Dude, "ladies" and "players" are NOT mutually-exclusive terms!
And if you search "men" wrt SE on CE, it will be one of the most used terms.

It's good to be "woke"...
But when being employed merely to show off "wokeness", it can become quite SILLY!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Why? Francesca is no longer dangerous?
In a big cup tournament (final in less than 10 team games), you need experienced, dangerous players.
They may not play all 90+ minutes as they need more time to recover but their experience is crucial.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu