Peseiro, Wike drool over NPFL talents as Rivers United emerge champions

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

NationsCup
Egg
Egg

Post by NationsCup »

https://guardian.ng/sport/peseiro-wike- ... champions/

By Ann Godwin (Port Harcourt) and Inemesit Akpan-Nsoh (Uyo)
28 June 2022 | 2:50 am

Peseiro

Super Eagles Coach, Jose Peseiro, is thrilled by the quality of talents in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), saying the league has the potential to become Africa’s best.

Speaking after watching a Matchday 35 game between Akwa United and Plateau United at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo, Peseiro described Nigeria as a country full of talented players, who have proven themselves at the highest level of football, while commending the organisers of the league and the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for upholding high standard to discover and nurture football talents in the country.

The Portuguese said he enjoyed the quality of play by the teams, as well as the fans’ passion, promising to go around all the football venues next season to see the players and also know where he can contribute to the development of the league.

“This is my second time watching the NPFL game… first was in Kwara, now in Uyo and so far, I can say the quality of the league is high and the players are committed.

“The season is almost over, but from next season, I will go round all the football venues and watch the players and see how many we can bring into the national team. After the game, I interacted with the coaches, gave my assessment and also asked them how I can improve my team.”

He reiterated his promise that the Super Eagles are open to everyone, regardless of where they play.

Meanwhile, Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has congratulated Rivers United for winning the 2021/22 NPFL.

Rivers United has officially confirmed the champion of the 2021/2022 NPFL season following Plateau United’s 1-2 away loss to Akwa United on Saturday.

A statement Wike’s Special Assistant (Media), Kelvin Ebiri, said the governor commended the players and coaching staff of the club on Sunday, following the memorable victory, which ended their five-year title wait.

Wike attributed the achievement to the talented team’s determination, adding that it is most heartening that by virtue of the league win, the club will represent the country at the Confederation of African Football (CAF) Champions League next season.

He added that Rivers United’s triumph at the 2021/2022 NPFL has brought a wave of joy and happiness to the people of Rivers State and the country at large.

“I wish to express my heartfelt appreciation to the coaching staff, particularly, the capable players of Rivers United for the valuable efforts they made to emerge the winner of the 2021/2022 NPFL.

“The government and good people of Rivers State are very proud of the team’s exploits following their dogged performances and resilience display throughout the 2021/2022 season. It is worthy to note that over the years, Rivers United has brought so much joy and happiness to football fans and supporters all over the country. This victory, no doubt, marks a major milestone in Rivers State football’s history.”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Peseiro, Wike drool over NPFL talents as Rivers United emerge champions

Post by Damunk »

I’ve got to admit that if I were a HB player, Peseiro’s comments would be very motivating.
It remains to be seen whether in a practical sense it translates into a reshuffling of the mix and ultimately produces results.
We just want a great team.
Finish.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Paseiro should work very closely with CHAN eagles.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Nigerian journalists are notorious for embellishing and sensationalizing things.
Will take the comments attributed to Peseiro with a grain of salt.
Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:07 pm I’ve got to admit that if I were a HB player, Peseiro’s comments would be very motivating.
It remains to be seen whether in a practical sense it translates into a reshuffling of the mix and ultimately produces results.
Finish.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Why? Is that his perview?
Shouldn't that be the job of his assistants (Finidi and the others)?
Purity wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:23 pm Paseiro should work very closely with CHAN eagles.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Do you have the job description for each position?
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:47 pm Why? Is that his perview?
Shouldn't that be the job of his assistants (Finidi and the others)?
Purity wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:23 pm Paseiro should work very closely with CHAN eagles.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Hmmm!

When others demand the same excellence for our forwads now, you go begin use different criteria.
Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:07 pm I’ve got to admit that if I were a HB player, Peseiro’s comments would be very motivating.
Finish.
Last edited by 1naija on Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Pesseiro got excellent training in media relations before taking the job because he knows what to say while nothing to make Nigerians happy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 pm Pesseiro got excellent training in medi relations before taking the job because he knows what to say while doing nothing to make Nigerians happy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:lol:
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Unlike one Gernot Rohr, Peseiro is doing and saying the right things. One can only hope that his heart is right where his mouth is❗️

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:04 pm Unlike one Gernot Rohr, Peseiro is doing and saying the right things. One can only hope that his heart is right where his mouth is❗️

Cheers.
That would still not satisfy some people because of the colour of his skin!
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:04 pm Unlike one Gernot Rohr, Peseiro is doing and saying the right things. One can only hope that his heart is right where his mouth is❗️

Cheers.

Bro... there're no SE players in the NPFL but Pesse ain't gonna tell u that anytime soon. Instead, he'll say he's seen the next Kanu and JJ alongside the next Messi all in 1 game.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

You are still intent on buttressing you point that Awoniyi is not it.
We don hear nah.
Na by force? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
1naija wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:27 pm Hmmm!

When others demand the same excellence for our forwads now, you go begin use different crieria.
Finish.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 pm Pesseiro got excellent training in medi relations before taking the job because he knows what to say while doing nothing to make Nigerians happy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sounds like he might have been studying Nigerian politricksians.
I hope not.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I am tired of this conversation.

The heralded players are taking contracts every day. Mbaoma has gone to a random Algerian club and Rafiu is going to Slovenia.

This HB talk should stop!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:11 pm I am tired of this conversation.

The heralded players are taking contracts every day. Mbaoma has gone to a random Algerian club and Rafiu is going to Slovenia.

To some here, if the move is not to one of the London clubs, it's a massive failure. EPL scouts & agents full here :D
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Instead of your unproductive negativism, you could work towards forming your own private club which will guarantee home based players decent wages so they won’t have to run off to Algeria and Slovenia❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

KPOM
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But I never said he is isn't it. I only said he hasn't been it for Nigeria thus far. Big difference.
Damunk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:07 pm You are still intent on buttressing you point that Awoniyi is not it.
We don hear nah.
Na by force? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
1naija wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:27 pm Hmmm!

When others demand the same excellence for our forwads now, you go begin use different crieria.
Finish.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Well, he has one or two up on the former guy.

He does need to understand what makes Naijarians tick.

Like Doc said, having the National Team Head Coach attend games even as a fan is a big boost for the players and the league.

I hope he keeps it up.

Rooting for him to succeed.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

No, it should NOT!

Let the good ones keep seeking greener pastures... they are leaving for the pay.

We should be in the business of exporting talent... and validation from a none Naijarian will help the players get a look in.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo

The reason why the talk persists is because of the orchestrated and perfunctory strategy employed to deny labor at home from access to the national team even when labor is good enough. When such denial ends, this talk will disappear.

As for HB moving overseas? That will occur because labor will always seek better pay. It is the same when a player moves from a club in Switzerland to Turkey, etc.

Note that football is a young man's game which presupposes that new and newer talents will always be churned from the conveyor belt called Nigeria and that belt should never be ignored. If an Mbaoma leaves today, there will be another Mbaoma tomorrow. It is churning and churning and should never be ignored as long as the labor is good enough.

We saw the youth teams play recently, all currently locally based. We were enthralled and there are many still there as you know. It keeps churning ......
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 pm

Ugbowo

The reason why the talk persists is because of the orchestrated and perfunctory strategy employed to deny labor at home from access to the national team even when labor is good enough.
No such thing exists.

In fact what exists is THE OPPOSITE.

A strategy to force homebased players on to the team WHO ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Now that Rafiu has moved to Slovenia, will you all continue to hype him ?

If yes, then we should also be hyping Nigerians playing in obscure leagues in Europe.

If no, then you admit it's all a clear marketing scheme.