Obi Mikel visits the best Academy in the country - Beyond Limits (Remo Stars)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Obi Mikel visits the best Academy in the country - Beyond Limits (Remo Stars)

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Sunset on Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Obi Mikel visits the best Academy in the country

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 pm [tweet][/tweet]

Impressive!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:30 pm
Sunset wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 pm [tweet][/tweet]

Impressive!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Absolutely what the future shall look like. Hopefully, the NFF does not frustrate his efforts. Remo all the way!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The real El Capitan! :clap: :clap: :clap:

He’s not sitting in a studio tabbing people from 25yrs ago.

DA GOAT of SE midfielders. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Fantastic facilities.

I hope they keep churning out talent. They are going about it the correct way.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:30 pm Fantastic facilities.

Ugbowo

My hope is that this may encourage 4 or five other private interests to do this. This can create a critical mass that can finally retire the overwhelm I ng state interest in Nigeria's professional football. This is the way out --- focusing on capitalist returns.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

How is the Real Madrid Academy doing in PH?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Is this the best academy though ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Academy is quite nice! :clap:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

This dude gets it
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I am so impressed.
Heard about it, but this is my first time seeing it.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:54 pm Is this the best academy though ?
NFF VP Seyi Akinwunmi said this to CE in a zoom meeting last year:
(VP Akinwunmi) did however say that there are a number of top academies beginning to spring up around the country and the NFF President had just visited one of such academies in Oshun state and he himself had also visited another in Ogun state where he said the impressive facilities are “as good as anything I’ve seen anywhere in the world”. The NFF is also in the process of categorising academies into Class A, Class B levels etc so as to bring a degree of standardisation and accountability into youth development.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=304503&p=5673812

So this must have been the one in Ogun state he was referring to, while Pinnick visited another in Oshun state.
Then you have the Real Madrid Academy in PH.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

NEWS
Remo Stars structure: A template for football development
May 7, 2022

Kunle Soname, Club chairman speaks on domestic football, Qatar 2022 failure

By Jacob Ajom

In a country that prides itself as a capitalist state, but where the government owns almost everything in the public space, including, of course, sports facilities, there are still exceptions. Although there have been calls by a few individuals that sports should be left in private hands with government providing the enabling environment for sports to thrive, the majority of Nigerians still believe there cannot be sports without government involvement, especially funding. Yet, despite the millions of naira sunk into the maintenance of sports facilities across the country, most of them are in very dilapidated state.

Not wanting to let their passion die because of the rot and stagnation in the development of facilities, some individuals have taken to putting their money where their passion lies.
In the outskirts of the quiet town of Ikenne in Ogun State, has sprung a state-of-the-art facility, the Remo Football Academy. It is owned by Kunle Soname, proprietor of Remo Stars Football Club. The club which competes in the Nigerian Professional Football League is one of the surprises of the ongoing 2021/22 football season. This is the club’s first season in the topflight after gaining promotion at the end of last season.

The club is run like any other modern football club anywhere in the world.
They have an academy which feeds the main club with fresh legs. Beside the main turf where matches are played, they have several acres of land that accommodate four other standard pitches.
To cap it all, the academy has a standard hotel within the complex. Other facilities include a clinic, a gym, tennis and basketball courts with several hostels where the young academy players stay and feed for free. It is tuition free as well.

On a recent visit to the academy in Ikenne, we spoke with Soname who expressed delight in what he was doing.
“For me, whenever there is a will, there must be a way.” He said, “I do this strictly because of my passion for football. Whenever there is passion you put everything into it.”

He said because of his love for his young academy players, he moved back to Ikenne in order to keep a close eye on them. “I enjoy seeing little kids play. For me, it is a great pleasure to watch them play. Throughout the week, I watch U12, U13, U14, U15 play and I see them growing. That is what gives me joy”.

He wouldn’t be dragged into the politics of Nigerian football, saying, “it is only in places like this that the NFF is more glamorous than the league itself. We have made being in the Football Association a big deal. What we need to address is the league itself, the NPFL. Once we get it right, every other thing will fall in place. Until we settle the issue of structured football in Nigeria – like the NPFL, the NNL, indeed all the leagues, that is when we can make a headway.

Yes we have been recording some successes but it has been sporadic. Today we succeed, tomorrow we fail. For us to achieve sustained success, every tier of the league has to be very strong. Today we go abroad in search of talents. Yes we get them to come and play for us but it can never be the same as those of us who live here. Even if I play abroad, when the season ends I will come back here and people will shout at me or mock me. We need to have places like this(the academy) so that people here can be better trained. It is the only way.”

Soname said he felt disappointed that Nigeria couldn’t qualify for the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup but added, “On a second thought, I think it is good for Nigerian football. It is a wake up call, a time for us to take a step backward and think properly about how to restructure this whole thing. Like I said earlier, it must start from the league.”

Soname’s football haven will not be allowed to rot like government facilities as he said, “this is a private enterprise and we will expect it to be well maintained. We have a structure in place to ensure it remains in top condition.”

On Remo Stars FC, the flagship of his entire project, Soname said he was not disappointed that his club that recorded an 11 match unbeaten run at the beginning of the season suddenly found themselves 3rd in the NPFL table.

“This is our third attempt in the topflight. The first attempt, we came up and got relegated immediately, the second attempt the same experience. So our objective this year is clear: we must not be relegated. Even if the season ends and we are in the 15th position, we will go to church and thank God that we survived the drop. What we want now is to maintain our status. The problem with Nigerians is that we don’t consolidate before we start looking forward. We have just returned to the Premier League and you expect us to be number one?”

As impressed as we were with the facilities, the only minus we found remains the fact that all the pitches, although lush green, are all synthetic pitches. It is our hope that one day, the management would think in the direction of dismantling all the artificial pitches for natural grass, which offers the best turf for playing and mastering good football.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/05/rem ... velopment/
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

jette1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:54 pm Is this the best academy though ?
You're free to give your suggestion for that title but IMO its Remo Stars as they have something the majority of our academies lack, a competitive senior team (long term).
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...great to have all the academies.
The problem with overall Nigeria football is the dependency on foreign based players to prosecute national assignments.
They gather with different styles in a very short practice.
What these academies are doing or will be doing is no different from days of non-academy.
The kids of yester-years were street smart in playing football.
These academies is like a farm where kids are groomed and exported (I guess).
They don't remain in the country local league system, play together, and mature into senior national team career.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:50 pm ...great to have all the academies.
The problem with overall Nigeria football is the dependency on foreign based players to prosecute national assignments.
What these academies are doing or will be doing is no different from days of non-academy.
They don't remain in the country local league system, play together, and mature into senior national team career.
Chief, where does this happen anywhere in the world?
You are talking 1980s - 40 years ago! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What's quite nice about it, if i may ask?

maceo4 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:18 pm Academy is quite nice! :clap:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 pm
...look at the history of countries that have done well at the world cup, bulk of their players played together and within their domestic league.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mcal wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:04 am
...look at the history of countries that have done well at the world cup, bulk of their players played together and within their domestic league.
Is that a recent history? Was that the last two World Cups, for instance? I am just asking as I have not done the research. However, I point to this period because the WCs prior to the 1980s or 1990s may be irrelevant given that most if not all participants had their players playing locally but the world of football has changed as finances and transfer rules
changed.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What impressed you so much about the facilty? The hallway, the pool table, or the glimpse of the pitch they showed? I didn't see any training equipment, gym, recreational facilty and classrooms that other academies have. So what exactly impressed you?
Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:59 am

I am so impressed.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:51 am
mcal wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:04 am
Is that a recent history? Was that the last two World Cups, for instance? I am just asking as I have not done the research. However, I point to this period because the WCs prior to the 1980s or 1990s may be irrelevant given that most if not all participants had their players playing locally but the world of football has changed as finances and transfer rules
changed.
Prof, like I said, mcal is stuck in the past.
Some of those that played in the 80s are grandfathers today. That’s how much time has moved on. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Mcal needs to do some homework.
Back then I posted details of the 2018 World Cup squads and it was only England that had a 100% ‘home-based’ squad.
Meanwhile, Belgium did not have a single home-based player in their 23-man squad.
Brazil had only three home based players, one being a GK.
Argentina only four, one also a GK
France and even Germany had heavy ‘foreign’ numbers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA ... Cup_squads

The 2014 World Cup figures were hardly any different - Russia’s squad was entirely HBs, England same thing apart from one of their GKs, Argentina had only 3 domestic players and Brazil only four.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA ... Cup_squads

So I don’t know what mcal is going on about. The global game has long since moved on.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Then as we say in the UK, “you need to go to Specsavers:rotf:
Look again, this time without blinkers.
1naija wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:28 am What impressed you so much about the facilty? The hallway, the pool table, or the glimpse of the pitch they showed? I didn't see any training equipment, gym, recreational facilty and classrooms that other academies have. So what exactly impressed you?
Damunk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:59 am

I am so impressed.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Wow. Big kudos to them. Very impressive.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija